Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm using Scrivener right now and the ability to split-panel your actual WIP and draft chapters in separate windows is really nice, as is the project and session target progress bars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

General Battuta posted:

My scenes are too long. My chapters are too long. My manuscript is too long. Help. How do I structure scenes so I can get in and get out quickly???

Reverse outline the thing, this is specifically what the technique is meant for

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

D34THROW posted:

Anyone ever successfully written a short story (or short story series) or novel (or novel series) using an RPG system to determine the flow of things? Basically playing, say GURPS, against yourself. I'm thinking of doing so because I've tried collaborative writing before and I really like the unpredictability of it, so I'm thinking RPGs as a guide might be a way to incorporate that into my writing proper.

Monster of Elendhaven, a book I very much enjoyed, started off as fanfiction about the author and her boyfriend's D&D campaign. So it's not totally impossible but I feel like only involving yourself in the process would by necessity shut you out of situations you might never encounter otherwise.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I am painfully plowing through my WIP, only 20k/100k words completed this year despite writing a 40,000-word outline, and even I recognize that getting too hung up on worldbuilding and minutiae will stop you from actually getting the thing written.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

That includes worldbuilding stuff in the notes on each chapter and I'm not even really sticking to it too tightly in this draft except as a loose guide. That was just to get my preliminary thoughts down and winnow out the stuff that doesn't work storywise.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The secret is that you can deep dive as much as you want in your notes but unless it comes into play or your protagonist will see it (ie, will it ever actually come up in the book?), then you don't actually need to build out 2000 years of history beyond sketches or a basic timeline IMO. Obviously historical events influence current-day societies, religion, relationships between countries, etc, but don't kill yourself with it. It's all "forest for the trees" stuff, your characters should be the focus, not trade agreements.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

kaom posted:

Yeah I have the opposite problem. But in starting to write it out just now (there was a big war in the past 100-200 years, the divisions still need to be healed between multiple countries) I think I realized that I’m basically writing the establishment of the fantasy EU, so maybe the answer is just to research that. Beyond a rough timeframe and who fought who, I don’t even have solid reasons established for why the war happened—I kind of need something for characters to feel some kind of way about that’s deeper than “we hate country x for unspecified reasons” you know?

This backing is really just there to support the characters’ journeys of learning to see things from other perspectives. That’s the part that interests me. But the world needs to support that journey in a way readers can connect with, I can’t entirely handwave the reasons there’s conflict to begin with.

I also have a fantasy EU in my WIP, and if you can't settle on a cause for the big war, why not have every country give their own irreconilable reasons for why it happened? Fantasy Germany considered it a war of self-defense as other countries had been pushing into their borders for too long, fantasy France thinks it was started over an economic dispute, etc. That could also provide a good shorthand into the national attitudes of each.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Nae posted:

Now I know why they call grrm George Rail Road Martin

GRR Martin has a team of assistants to keep his worldbuilding straight when he writes because he can't remember the minutiae from past books. Another strike against going whole hog on building thousands of years of mythology before you start writing, in my opinion

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

D34THROW posted:

What the gently caress, why is that even an ethical question? :stonk:

There's a reason love potions have been banned from league play in D&D

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

General Battuta posted:

Wait how the gently caress is there competitive D&D

It's Adventurer's League, which is running through modules from WotC and keeping your character/items between them. So officially sanctioned group play, not competitive.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I will once again bang on my drum and shout that you should all read Lisa Cron's Story Genius for tips on how to avoid this in the first place

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Constantly writing down avenues that don't work out and being forced to jump back and totally rework where you started from. Her method isn't perfect (obviously since no one approach will work for everyone), but writing out the inciting incidents for each main character and figuring out what the emotional and plot beats are and how they relate + her scene diagramming guide feel like they'd really help here specifically

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

As I understood it, the NO LGBT+ thing was very strictly in reference to LitRPGs, which tend to have a younger male readership that has very specific trope expectations (read: there is one dude with a harem of women) and will review bomb if they're not catered to.

Related: My current WIP is what I hope will be the first in a fantasy series and features a queer love triangle at its heart, with the main character (a young woman) ultimately deciding to risk the position of comfort she's striving for throughout the book for another lady. I know the trend in publishing has rapidly shifted towards Own Voices in recent years and I have friends in the industry who have griped to me about how fed up they are with straight cis white dudes writing gay stories—am I going to be hosed when I query?

Or if I handle things well enough and hire sensitivity readers first (which I plan on doing anyways) should I be okay?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

newts posted:

It’s really disheartening to me that you’re getting this kind of response. I understand the need for the Own Voices movement, but does that mean every character you write must match your own identity?

Seconding, that sucks rear end and I'm sorry to hear it. My book takes place in a turn of the 20th century-like fantasy Germany that's on the brink of war after just recovering from one a decade ago, and the main character is captured and forced into an arranged marriage with a haughty rear end in a top hat who's heir to an important family. She sort-of-kind-of falls for him even though he's abrasive, self-centered, and doesn't think about her feelings when he speaks, but eventually she falls in love with another woman who's trying to help her escape (and who's black).

But drat, that "why is this necessary to your story?" thing is so well worn at this point as a classic barrier to increasing diversity in books.

Nae posted:

There are millions of talented writers out there, and millions more got time to write when COVID forced them to stay home. Your writing doesn't have to match your identity, but publishers have no incentive to take it when they can take one of the thousands of other stellar submissions from people whose identities and manuscripts match up.

Fair point too.

change my name fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 5, 2022

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

My debut comes out in June and I have a Twitter Presence that I feel obligated to keep up for the sake of publicity and also this is absolutely true and I have been making GBS threads bricks about it for over a year.

Run the script/service that deletes all of your tweets up until a certain period (the last year?)

Also don't get discouraged when crazy people come after you either on social media or Goodreads, just ignore their likely unfounded complaints

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Leng posted:

Scrivener does track this - and it tracks both words written and words deleted. I haven't personally ever used it so can't speak to how useful it is.

It's super useful as you can gamify your sessions (and not have it include writing outside of whatever parameters you choose, so you can write in a scratchpad or background section and not have it count if you're trying to get your main manuscript word count up). Setting out to tackle one 500 word chunk often leads to another once you've filled the bar up.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'd been drafting in Calibri until someone on twitter suggested Garamond, it definitely makes your work feel more professional.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Some easy short hand for fantasy naming from GRR Martin: Just assume the reader understands that everything takes place in a fantasy language and is being translated into English. You don't necessarily need to have unique terms for every single thing if there's a real-world analogue unless there's a good reason for it

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

SimonChris posted:

https://familieretshuset.dk/navne/navne/godkendte-fornavne

Here in Denmark, parents are required to pick the names of their children from a list of approved names*, so the government maintains extensive excel spreadsheets containing every approved name in alphabetical order. You can download them above. 20.993 boy names, 25.819 girl names, and 1.319 intersex. It is debatable whether this is a good law, but it makes for a convenient writing resource.

* The dystopian YA novel basically writes itself.

What a great premise for a hard fantasy setting where knowing someone's true name gives you power over them. Of course a totalitarian government would tightly regulate and track its citizens' names.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm going with Shadow and Bone meets the Traitor Baru Cormorant, so great minds and all (or maybe this thread is just more likely to attract people writing genre fiction?)

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

General Battuta posted:

Lots of spicy affairs and breakups too

If you want to date your way through the publishing industry, just move to NYC

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Speaking of, what’s everyone’s pace like? I write for a living so I often feel like all of my words are “used up” at the end of the day. This year I’ve only written 30,000 words of the first draft of my WIP

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Published authors: how did you go about asking for blurbs? I know a few authors personally who have put out well regarded work (and some of them have hit best seller status) but god drat do I hate asking people for things. I’d feel insanely self conscious about coming off as transactional

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yeah this was just curiosity/speculative

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

thehandtruck posted:

What software are you guys using for novels? Some of the links in the OP are dead. I like the general layout and functionality of yWriter6 but is there anything more...modern?

Scrivener, having a progress bar that fills up as you type is a god send

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

thehandtruck posted:

Is that like a writing motivation thing? I'm not into that kinda stuff. I meant more how yWriter has a way to organize the chapters and scenes.

Yeah. You can pop out a progress bar with both your total word count and session word count. It also has great chapter and scene organization as well as hyperlinking back to other sections (good for characters and places), multiple panes, and a bunch of other stuff. I actually use it to draft my articles for work now instead of Word too.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

thehandtruck posted:

Is there a way to sync a document from device to another in Scrivener? Like if I write on my laptop I want it to sync on my desktop.

I use Dropbox for this

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Comic sans trick, dawg: make a copy of the doc, switch it into comic sans, print it off and read it like that. It'll instantly feel like a book written by somebody else. I use it to clear those post-draft editing humps all the time, no idea why it works but it does, try it if you don't believe me.

This is why I draft in Garamond, it makes me feel way more professional

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

One of my favorite recent fantasy novellas uses marks, I don’t know if obsessing that much over minor details instead of broader world building helps that much? That is, if it doesn’t actually figure into the story

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Admiralty Flag posted:

I'll probably come across like a scold here, but the idea that you need to be a tortured artist continually altering yourself with substances (whether alcohol, drugs, or both) to be a good writer is simply a terrible stereotype.

Plus, getting high or drunk has never worked for me. In those cases I'd rather play a videogame than stare at an empty Scrivener page (or just fall asleep).

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Write your draft 0 and reverse outline if you're worried it won't be good. It's a great way to winnow your story down to see what works and figure out what should connect where.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

SimonChris posted:

Happy new year, everyone!

How was everyone's writing this year? I didn't manage to outright sell anything, but I had an old story published online as a "reprint" and also published three poems:

https://www.metastellar.com/fiction/simulacra/

This is now the third time I have published this story and the second time in English :smug:.

https://bluepepper.blogspot.com/2022/11/new-poetry-by-simon-christiansen.html

https://theplumtreetavern.blogspot.com/2022/11/the-great-auk.html

https://www.compassroseliterary.com/three-phenomenal-flutterings

Sure, these are all extremely obscure non-paying markets but given that I only started writing poetry in September - in a foreign language - I still consider that to be an astounding success! :)

I also wrote a few stories that I really like myself and had some high-tier personal rejections. Hoping to sell some of those this year.

How about everyone else?

I only wrote 42K of my WIP (but think I can get to revisions this year) and 5K on a short story I had wanted to pitch but haven't edited yet. Writing on your own time is hard when you do it for a living, IME

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

General Battuta posted:

Don't learn prose from Brandon Sanderson imo

This is the same reaction my friend who works at Tor had when I told him I was watching Sanderson's worldbuilding lectures, but he wouldn't elaborate on why (I haven't read any of his stuff)

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Leng posted:

But point taken. For a more in-depth breakdown from an author with great prose and who has already given us solid advice in this thread, read this:

https://www.sethdickinson.com/2015/02/26/lets-hurt-sentences/

I refer to this time and time again and especially before I do line edits. It was one of the first things I read where I had that light bulb moment of "oh, this is what everybody's talking about when they're talking about prose being important".

This is very helpful. I'm working on a scene for a worldbuilding class right now, and the prose isn't the point, but I'd like to present something that won't make me feel like crap to see read out loud.

change my name fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 16, 2023

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

newts posted:

Is it ableist to have one character call another character ‘crazy’? I think he also calls her ‘nutty’ later. The character in question isn’t mentally ill or anything, just a religious fanatic type. And even if it is ableist, is it something I should avoid? Is the character’s voice my voice?

It’s something one of my beta readers brought up.

Your character is not you. They can hold views you don't hold. Showing something in text doesn't mean you're endorsing it.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

newts posted:

I guess my question is: is it still acceptable to think ‘that person’s crazy’ and to write it in my book?

Even if the book is written in the first person and your character is supposed to be sympathetic, no one is perfect. A character without flaws is flat and boring! Personally, I'd take your beta reader's feedback to heart and be sensitive about it, but also acknowledge that it's your character's point of view, not your own

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

General Battuta posted:

This conversation always turns into a giant fuckfest but I'll keep it brief.

Thanks for this. As someone nearly at the end of my fantasy novel WIP, it was super reassuring to hear

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Waxing plot and waning plot

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

SimonChris posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOMUfql2Smc

You are in luck, Mary Robinette Kowal just posted a video on how to write heist stories. You should be able to reuse most of the plot beats for a more abstract style of heist. The important thing is that there is a colorful ensemble of characters with different skills and personalities working together to carry out some kind of complex plan, but the plan goes wrong, but the goingwrongness was actually part of the plan all along, etc.

In fact, all of Mary Robinette Kowals recent videos are great, so just watch the entire channel while you are there. I liked the one about prose as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc31v46TTLk

This is great, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Or just get high (but remember to write down whatever you figure out about connective tissue in your WIP)