Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Djeser posted:

In drawing, every contour you add to someone's face adds five years. The extra detail complicates the picture, making it harder to read what's important and what's not.

You have to learn how to use just a few lines to capture the important characteristics, while avoiding all the irrelevant detail.

I feel like this is applicable to writing, somehow.

The best trick is to characterise people by the details of their surroundings and actions, as DocK points out above.

There's a great Haruki Murakami line - "he held the pen between two fingers and dropped it on the desk, as though testing local gravity conditions". That tells you so much about the sort of person who would do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hi thread, the something awful best dog invitational has started and we need to win!

I feel that real strongly.

As creative convention we are obviously best at creating poo poo. Obviously.

So write the best dog and post it in that thread by 3 March. Great will be your glory!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Top dog nomination has closed and top dog subforum voting has started!

Go there and vote, then go out and vote up all the other dogs in the other forums, but make sure to only vote for the bad ones (tactical dog voting)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

there's a daily writing prompt thread in cc, which might be a good way to get your fingers used to rattling out words.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sitting Here posted:

In a jarring change of tone, here is some handwritten writing advice I randomly got from an 80 year old poet at an open mic :3: :3: :3:

While I'm not sure how helpful a lot of the advice actually is, I thought it was really sweet, plus she writes legitimately amazing poetry. And I say that as someone who doesn't really 'get' poetry.

I like these

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

a herd of words

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

newtestleper posted:

Is this a troll?

you're a troll

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

anime was right posted:

you're all nerds

empty quoting this lol

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

don't have people answering each other's questions, have people talk over and round and through each other to get what they want. don't write like people talk, write like people talk in good books.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm enjoying all the fiction, and the advice.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Squidtentacle posted:

This is probably a personal thing but I'm not a fan of how "had verbed" sounds and I try to avoid it wherever possible. I think if you keep them to single past-tense verbs and clearly denote at the start that the POV character is remembering something an hour ago, people will understand what you're doing. You already have it noted down in the last paragraph that the perspective is switching back to the present, so the end of that flashback is already marked.

Yeah, I'd do what you need to do to get it back to past tense once you're past a para or two. People will follow it no prob if it's unambiguous.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

Present and past is even more minor when I tend to write past as "present, but 10 seconds ago," which feels even more noticeable since I work a lot on discover.

can you explain

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Sean posted:

I currently do not understand this ten seconds ago.

I will always not have been about to understand it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stickying this since the OP is fantastic but we're not getting the traffic to keep it on the first page. Let me know if you think there's anything else that should get pinned, either for a while or indefinitely.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sitting Here posted:

Yes! I am fortunate to have access to lots of frank critiques from the fine goons of these very forums. Plus I will often read excerpts at literary open mics and such. The issue really is just me and my brain's reluctance to commit to things that aren't video games and Netflix.

I got a chromebook so I could write on the bus easily (where there's no internet), which I've had some success with. But that's still not a great time to edit, since using the touchpad makes jumping around within a document annoying.

can you print it out and scribble on it?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Some possible things to try:

1) Try writing something NOT in the story from the voice of your character. As you're writing the letters, you are doing multiple things. Building the plot, the setting, other characters, etc. Set all that aside and write something that's more exclusively the character. Them just talking about themselves, their views, why they have them. Focus on the voice. Something like:

<i>I guess you might say I grew up in the country, but being from the biggest town in Washington County I figured I was right sophisticated until I moved to the city. Some lessons here you have to learn fast, and I must have learned those fast enough because here I am. Others you have to learn slow, and those are the ones I'm not too sure about even now, a full thirteen years later. The crowds are still a bit too big, and the skies a bit too small, but there's music. That's what's kept me here so long. I don't know if it'll ever let me go.
</i>

Not a work of literary genius or anything obviously, but hopefully an understandable example of what I'm talking about. If the character still sounds too much like yourself, try it again until you feel it. Or try editing it and rereading it until you've got it internalized to write from it as you go along.

2) If you think you can plot out the novel with the actual choices your character would make, etc. while writing in your own voice, maybe go ahead and write the story, then fix the voice in post. It will be a major rewrite obviously, since the words are the story, but it would be another way to separate writing the voice from the rest. Or you could treat it almost as an outline for developing the rest of the elements of the book. I have doubts about this option, because I can't imagine being able to feel/experience/write a character without hearing their voice in my head. Maybe you are different.

3) This option would trip up a lot of people, because it can lead to paralyzing over thinking. Basically, think really hard and analytically about how your character's experiences would shape their voice. How would growing up in a small town (for example) change his word choice, sentence length, rhythms? Would it? (given modern interconnectivity and TV, it might not!) What about his own personality? What's important to him? How would that be reflected? Look at a sentence and think about how he would say it differently. Well, you'll have to look beyond a sentence, because he would probably break up the information differently. This is a less intuitive, more analytical way of approaching option one above.

You can also combo it up.

I made some conscious decisions writing the above: The structure is conversational. She uses "figured," "right sophisticated," "full thirteen years," colloquialisms that I personally associate with a rural voice (possibly incorrectly, so remember that potential pitfall). That's also why the specific things she mentions about the city are the crowds and the sky, not for example, the quality of public transportation. Also why she simply calls it the city. It's the only one she's known so there's no need to differentiate. The last two sentences are short for emphasis.

The rest of it was more-or-less intuitive. If for some reason you were inclined to analyze this bit I wrote (whhhhyyyy?) you could probably find some other defining elements: There are multiple qualifiers (I guess you could say, I must have learned, I'm not too sure) -- you could say this reflects her continuing uncertainty with her place in the world, but hell if I was consciously thinking that one. Does repetition of rhythm and word choice reflect lack of creativity or musicality? etc.

I don't know if any of these would work for you, but I will say that personally, I would hesitate to keep working on this before figuring out the voice. The voice is very practically who a character is. It's both HOW they think and WHAT they think and WHY they think like that, and I don't think you can write a story from their perspective without knowing that.

Good points. When I'm GMing and want to change my native voice it can be good to keep it simple - pick a movie star you know, change something significant about them, and write as though that's the character. Oceans Eleven George Clooney, but a beaten down accountant. Aliens Ellen Ripley as a suburban mum.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

I can see how this would work for a GM playing an NPC, but I'm horrified by the idea of using it for a main character as a novel....

I think the point is that you might have that in your head when you're writing, but the reader will have absolutely no idea. it will just be a character, with qualities, that acts and is acted upon.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

crabrock posted:

how can i go to the police when i am the police?!

But doctor, he said, tears welling in his eyes, I am Constable Smithers.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hope that this is an appropriate place to ask a question: can anyone explain the difference between an homage and a pastiche to me? :confused:

its an irregular verb: I write homage, you write pastiche, they are loving plagiarists.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 3, 2017

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Westerns are about the future eating the present, southern gothic is about the past eating the present.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 15, 2017

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FunkyAl posted:

Sheriff Niles - A Cheers/Frasier Expanded Universe Fanfiction

Niles sat on the precipice of the cliff and let out a long, satisfied breath. The sun was setting over the little old west town he had come to call home, drenching the sand in red and orange, interrupted by the cool winding shadows of rock formations both near and in the distance. It had been a big change, leaving his old life as a psychiatrist and coming here in his brother Frasier’s time machine, but he had never been happier.

He would never forget the day it had arrived. He was at Frasier’s apartment, watching TV with his Father and Daphne. Daphne. He still thought about her, but every time he did he was slightly ashamed at how long it had been. Ever since he had fallen in love with that whore from the saloon and had sex for the first time it had changed his life immeasurably. Frasier had been embroiled in a conflict with a caller on his radio show, someone who had called Frasier a “big doody,” and of course had shanghaied his closest family members into helping him resolve the issue. In a moment that had seemed to last an instant and stech into forever, the room was filled with a brilliant flash of light, every color of the spectrum and yet its very own. The light vanished and in its stead was a mahogany box the size of a closet that was puffing odorless purple smoke out of an exhaust pipe on its side.

Out came Frasier, drenched in blood. Frasier, of course, was still where he was moments ago, mouth now agape, staring at this new Frasier wildly. But new was the wrong word to describe him, the Frasier that stepped out of this box was grey and overgrown, his skin wrinkled and spotted, his red hangdog eyes drinking in the scene. He seemed distant from this place now, estranged from his idiom. He sniffed the air and approached his doppelgänger. He whispered something in his ear, and then turned to the rest of the room and announced that the time machine he had come into now belonged to them, to do with whatever they saw fit. He then sloped toward the door, patted Eddie on the head, and rode down the elevator, never to be seen by anyone in that room again.
It started small at first. After the initial shock wore off, Frasier took the opportunity to take his family on a tour through his glory days at Cheers. The young barflies took an interest, and a couple of them ended up joining them on their further adventures through history. These were wonderful days to be sure, seeing King Lear performed by Shakespeare’s company, “running into” Sigmund Freud and had a wonderful, mind expanding discussion, standing on the stony and firey surface of an earth still millions of years from supporting life.

Time Travel quickly wears on a person, however, and after a (relative) year of timehopping Niles and a few of the others had expressed a desire to settle down for a while. Niles had won a deed to a small town in the old west in a poker game some months back, and thought it a good opportunity to create a community for this group of people who no longer seemed to fit anywhere else in space and time. He became the sheriff, a role he was surprised at how easily he fit into. His father would have been proud, had he not gone insane shortly after seeing the two Frasiers in the same room at the same time.

He had put Carla in charge of the saloon, a place not unlike Cheers, and with much of the same clientele, with the important distinction that the clientele was made up of “time variants” of the regulars. Carla herself was 80 years old and completely bald. Woody was still in his prime, lifting casks and crates and ranching in his off time. Four Norms from four times each sat at their own corner of the bar. Cliff had died during one of their adventures, but they had uploaded a copy of his consciousness to a wisecracking computer console that stood in the corner and answered any trivia question you could ask it, much to the chagrin of Carla, who had only ever really liked Cliff for his sexual availability whenever those times came that her husband would show up, impregnate and abandon her. Sam “Mayday” Malone had also died, of an advanced future STD that made his body collapse in on itself and turned his bones into chalk. Coach was alive and puttering around though, so that was nice.
Some of their friends from Seattle had come along as well, although Niles did not like to think about that too much. Roz was of course doing fine, taking the opportunity to become the promiscuous gunslinging outlaw she seemed to have been destined to become. But Gil Chesterton did not make it through the winter, having refused to adjust his lifestyle to the hard conditions of the desert, and he had had to hang “Bulldog” Briscoe for the unspeakable time crimes he had committed, crimes so severe they cannot bear repeating here. Niles wondered often if they would ever know the extent of the damage he had caused, at one time theorizing that the root of man’s evil could be traced back to the Bulldog. He had not seen Frasier in over ten years.

It would soon be too dark to safely climb down the mountain and back into town, so Niles stood up, brushed off his pants, and began his walk. Just then, time froze and Niles’ eyes were filled with a brilliant symphony of light that he knew could only mean one thing. He approached the smoking time machine. A mustached man who was just around fifty years out of step with time stepped out. Niles felt that he had seen this man somewhere before, that he knew him in some way.

“Dr. Crane?” the man asked.

“Yes, that’s me,” Niles replied.

H.G. Wells shot Niles in the stomach and went back into his time machine.

---

H.G. Wells knew this day had been coming for years. That was nothing new, he had known practically everything that was going to happen for longer than he hadn’t, but today felt different. He felt a sick feeling in his gut, but there was a relief to it. He would no longer be burdened by the weight of all time and soon he would be able to freely rejoin it. He checked his watch. Any second now.

The room filled with light and a haggard, hardened man with wild grey hair strode out of the time machine. Wells squinted. The long forgotten sensation of uncertainty began to creep up through his spine. This couldn’t be it, this couldn’t be the man who was supposed to be here. He had to be sure.

“Dr. Crane?” H.G. Wells asked.

“Yes, that’s me,” Frasier replied.

Frasier shot H.G. Wells in the stomach, crossed the room to the original time machine, and disappeared.

don't sign your posts

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

cash crab posted:

Oh, right, gently caress. I also came here to ask a question. Speaking of FIRST MANUSCRIPT, I was going to start looking for an agent after I finish the second draft. I'm having an issue with query letters, and I am not sure if this is the right place for it. I am having some trouble figuring out the genre of this book, and therefore, which agencies/agents I should target. I understand the sci-fi market is highly saturated, and frankly, my book isn't in line with what most hardcore sci-fi readers would expect to be reading, either from a linguistic or plot standpoint. Also, from a really pedantic perspective, my book is technically "speculative fiction that happens to set in space". How would I explain this to an agency in a way that sounds less airy?

that distinction is ridiculously pointlessly pedantic and I'd recommend never saying it out loud.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

HIJK posted:

it's probably a good idea to write out the origin story so you know what happened, but don't include that whole thing in the story. Start where the character is at his most interesting, don't start out boring and then try to force him to be interesting.

If a character isn't interesting without their super sekrit backstory they aren't interesting. Think about ways to convey their character in how they interact with the world and other characters.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Agent355 posted:

Yeah I think you're right. I think I have to tell it but I can do it not boring and shouldn't make it chapter 1.

naw, you're cool, it's just MY CHARACTER LET ME TELL U OF THEM is a good belwether for bad fanfic so hackles are pre-raised.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

crabrock posted:

well you seem to have no problems typing up larges amounts of words, so just keep going lil buddy!

posting something you've written for people to look at generally gets a better response than abstract queries, feel free to pm me if you'd like an opinion

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Agent355 posted:

Sorry I mean, what books should I read in the spy thriller/noir genre. i don't know whats good and/or exemplifies the themes there well. I could just pick books at random but I'd rather have somebody point to something fun.

I got about 2k good words down so far, paragraph 1 is a dude dying with a dagger in his chest as the protag suddenly confronts the emotions she feels for finally executing her first assassination and how she feels better than she thought and simultaneously feels really bad about that. It works and it'll work even better with more context later, but I'm really happy with it. It's a fantasy setting too so I'm also having fun trying to think up dumb spy gadgets but replace technology with magic. But really I was just looking for book recommendations. Which I suppose there is probably a better thread to ask...

Le Carre (Spy who came in from the cold, little drummer girl) and Eric Ambler are both vg.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Xotl posted:

Want to be more specific here and say "pre-war Eric Ambler", because man do his books go to poo poo after the war.

Also, The Day of the Jackal is a masterpiece in many ways, one being that you already know the ending of the story right from the start and yet you don't care one single bit. I'd highly recommend it for anyone interested in the genre.

I've only actually read one Ambler but I liked it (Send No More Roses).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm a discovery writer and I got stalled halfway through two books so far. I'd take one of your half books and try the snow flake method on it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Naerasa posted:

That is also true and why I'm not giving up. Maybe one of these days I'll even up my odds and write one of those strong women protags agents all seem to want, but for the moment I'll keep pushing my book with dudes.

just do a find/replace instant gender swap.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

yeah I guess?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fridge corn posted:

im only asking cuz ive got an idea for a novel i want to write but when i think about the premise of it and how i want to write it, it sounds very much like a kind of book that some other authors ive read would have written. authors with very distinctive styles.

how do you avoid the trap of mimicry or pastiche?

i know this is ultimately a dumb question cuz i haven't actually written anything yet and i won't get a chance to start writing anything for a while due to life and not even owning a computer but wondering if anyone else struggles with anything similar?

Once you've written it, it will be your own; sounding vaguely like a successful author is not actually a problem. The opposite, mostly.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

HIJK posted:

Every time we talk about style someone just recommends The Elements of Style and then the conversation collapses. No one wants to talk about the tiny author foibles, or how different people have different sentence construction habits, or the kind of plot elements different authors gravitate to.

:frogon:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

HIJK posted:

For example: I use a lot of commas to use sub clauses that extend sentences past their due date. I also tend to use the word "tend" and other similar weasel words because I "prefer" to "imply" "concepts" instead of outright stating facts or certainties. I also have wordy sentences as opposed to short and simple declarations. This is useful to pad college essays but it's a chore to read in prose.

I also use "I" a lot.

Yeah it's tricky because all of those things I'd call out as flaws, while acknowledging that they can be a feature of excellent prose. And talking about it in the abstract isn't always that helpful so you tend to land on truisms like 'removing unnecessary words makes prose better' whcih is as the dock implies is a straight route to Ernest H.

Personally I tend to over metaphor - when I have a sweet rear end image or simile I need to go back and pare down the language around it so it lands properly. I like to make my movement verbs as vivid as reasonably possible to create excitement and movement in the prose. I sometimes have a particular mode of speaking in my head when writing (e.g. old kiwi guy, and vaguely east european person) and I think I assume that the reader can hear that voice too, which isn't a given. I like a well chosen adverb for all I rag on them.

Ultimately style 'rules' are there to follow until you choose not to, at which point you doff them like a smoke-blackened frock coat.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Uninteresting People Reacting To Mildly Strange Things in a Slightly Weird Place:

A Love Story.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

anime was right posted:

thats a lot of words for "write more"

HIJK posted:

Then go out and write more and stop wasting time here.

This is a good discussion, don't poop in it plz.

Mag7 i think music can be a good analogy. You have talented multi instrumentalists who can pick up anything and make it sing but can't make their own music, hard working plodders who practice for years and know all the theory but can't improvise, drummers and bassists who can sit in the pocket all day long but won't play faster than a walk. They're all musicians and they can all be good, but they won't all be good in the same way.

Tdome examples are Mercedes, who has a particular vein of high octane craziness that's not smarty farty literary but still heaps of fun to read. Or Chairchucker, who's written lots of stories in a similar sort of style but gets a bit better with each one.

With your most recent tdome story (which I'll crit for you) I was pretty invested in the dadchat, and I was sad you gave up. Sympathetic too, because getting to the end of my flerpbrawl nearly broke my brain. It can help to write the end of the story if you're stuck on the beginning.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

magnificent7 posted:

Please - don't crit it. It was bad, it's not worth the crit effort. I appreciate it - I do - but I'll save that for something else that I feel deserves your time.

I researched the poo poo out of the Tardigrade, went into a rabbit-hole over that useless crap, tried to purge it from my head by writing the superhero description, then added the kid-dad story around it, and exactly like you've said, gave up, instead of finding whatever the hell it could have been.

I think that happens too often - I throw up my hands, "'welp, this is poo poo." So - yeah. Gonna start writing poo poo to get to the other side, just to break through that surrender moment. And stop trying to map the tale from start to finish. Let things happen, see where that goes.

I think that's a good idea. FWIW I barely ever map stories - I might break it up into 2-300 word chunks but that only works sometimes.

a good aphorism is that you can only do two things with art - give people what they expect, or what they don't expect. It's up to you to decide which at any given time.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

magnificent7 posted:

You guys have given me so much fantastic info thank you all. At some later date I want to assemble all of this, condense it and re-post in here. I just started to do it, then realized "oh hay I'm putting off writing stfu and go do writing."

Some later time I'll do it. I firmly believe there's a special magic to putting a story into < 1500 words. Y'alls input really help. Helps. Did help.

relatedly, I've let my long walk monthly fiction :toxx: thread lapse, is there anyone who'd still find it useful?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Naerasa posted:

You know, you can always post a chapter sample here (here being CC in general, not this thread) for critique if you're unsure of what you're sending out. Goons can be pretty ruthless, but you'll probably get as much good advice as you do ball-crushing.

yeah, post a chapter and link it here and you'll get good feedback.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

cut the 'when a clue happens she's brought back line, its implicit in the rest. otherwise that's p solid imo

e:

Sunati’s absence brings Caden down a path of depression and isolation, but when a clue in the case breaks, she is brought back into the fold. when a rogue synthetic servant designed by the most powerful biotech company in the city goes berserk and kills its creators, Caden...

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CantDecideOnAName posted:

Burkion, I just wanted to say that even though it feels like you're getting savaged in your crit thread, you're not. I have been in exactly the same place as you, when I posted my first chapter of Star in this very subforum years and years ago. I wish I could find that thread again so I could look at the crits with fresh eyes but I don't have plat.

This is gonna sting. But After the War is right, we just wanna help you get better. (I say all this as if I'm not going to yell DON'T TOUCH MY BABYYYYY when I inevitably post the reworked first chapter of my story. Writing takes a thicker skin than I've got.)

whoa critquake