Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Could you give an example?

Going off what you've said here, you're pretty good at writing what's essentially a fantasy encyclopedia but you can't actually come up with a conflict or plot, is that correct?

When I have that problem I tend to talk it through with friends to figure out a decent conflict to write about. They have the audience POV so they can tell me what they would want to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I use Libre Office because I'm not paying a sub for the new MS Word and all of its shittiness. I don't trust Google so I'm not using Docs anymore.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I was looking for book recommendations and found a website called Reedsy: http://reedsy.com It claims to network you to freelance editors and help with publishing contracts. Has anyone else heard of this?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Interesting, I'll bookmark them for future reference. Thank you!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Hi guys, I was thinking of starting a NaNoWriMo 2021 thread. Any interest?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
kk will put the post up in an hour or so

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
NANOWRIMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3981846&pagenumber=1#post518444062

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

feeling this

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I've enjoyed the memes. :shrug: Since there's not much discussion to be had.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

newts posted:

I really dislike this too because people use it so often to distance themselves from their writing decisions. Just admit you wanted your characters to gently caress.

It's a ridiculously common experience for characters and stories to go off in directions that surprises the author or isn't what the author planned. Every single fiction writer alive has talked about this. I have experienced this. I'm not trying to say they're reaching out from the astral plane or whatever but you just have to go through any transcribed conversation with an author to run across them talking about how characters and stories often seem to have a life of their own.

This is well documented outcome of a creative process that we don't understand very much, please stop making GBS threads on it.

DropTheAnvil posted:

I think your post is from tumblr, and while it's not my cup of tea, I don't see the problem in a writer celebrating making progress on their work.

All of the meme posts have been silly and jokey posts about writing with some unironic enthusiasm rolled into them. People relate to writing in different ways and it feels kinda bad for someone to come in and telling the thread to stop "consuming this content" as if it's somehow bad or as if it's going to ruin discussion when we don't even talk about actual writing in here right now. (I am aware that this thread ebbs and flows in activity, that's why I appreciate people posting silly relatable writing memes.)

Like if users don't enjoy the silly tumblr joke posts then just post something substantial instead. Ask for critique. Ask a technical question. Start a general discussion. Have sex or smoke some pot.

HIJK fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 31, 2021

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Junpei posted:

Which of these are you?

I'm definitely a #2 type: I'll explain my magic system, my cosmology, maybe the government if I deem it necessary but otherwise? PFFFT.

#2 because I want the story more 8)

DropTheAnvil posted:

Sorry if I upset ya, was just adding my thoughts, and for what it's worth I don't mind memes being posted.

It's okay. I feel defensive about it I guess

HIJK fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 31, 2021

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

I wrote a piece for a Christmas exchange last month and this happened to me three times. Go back at least a full paragraph.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
How do web serials get traction? Is there a business model or do you just post and pray? Wildbow got lots of attention but he's kind of the exception I think

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Megazver posted:

(This is assuming you post on RoyalRoad.) It helps to start out by posting a lot of small chapters - at least once a day, twice a day if you can manage it - for at least a week.

Dream Weaver posted:

https://ellegriffin.substack.com/p/zogarth

Long answer there. All of her post are good.

Short answer: have a backlog, post consistently, write well, have a good blurb and cover.

I didn't post anything until I had 40 chapters and I keep 20 chapters in the bank.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Did someone say web serials?

This is really interesting, thank you. I'm despairing that Yud once again has his grimy little hands in this but it makes sense. I'm intrigued by the idea of web serials but I don't think I'd like to try it as a means to making a living, it seems like a lot of work that I'm not currently capable of producing. And LitRPGs, ew. I'm not cynical enough to write those.

I think a web serial sounds like a good way to get some practice -- put something out no matter what -- but I tried a once a week publishing schedule on a story back in 2014 and by the time I hit the fourth chapter I couldn't keep up the pace. Now a days I can put out a short story per year. Awful.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
https://www.commonwealmagazine.org/literary-fanfic This is an interesting article about how fanfiction is bleeding into literary fiction. Excerpt:

quote:

Fanfic tends to have a distinctive style: heavy on sentence fragments, emotionally expressive actions, and one-sentence paragraphs; filled with italicized phrases, syntactical repetition, and present-tense verbs. These stylistic features arise from the genre’s particular demands. In fic, the writer’s task isn’t to create a character named “Han Solo” or “Barack Obama.” It’s to convince the reader of this particular instantiation of a character they already know. Backstory and general habits of mind can be excised without much loss; elements that intensify character presence and readerly identification—strong emotions and bodily descriptions—are emphasized. The result has a particular staccato rhythm. Everything, from syntax to narrative perspective, stresses immediacy.

Two modes of writing, then, that seem almost diametrically opposed: literary fiction, writing that emphasizes craft and wins awards; and fanfic, writing that emphasizes, and is born from, readerly pleasure and happily exists outside the prize economy. Except that, in recent years, some of the most lauded works of literary fiction have begun to read an awful lot like fanfic...

The Song of Achilles exemplifies literary fanfic because it has both fic content (it offers a new angle on a previous story) and fic style. Some examples of this hybrid genre have fic origins but not its formal features: Edward St. Aubyn’s Dunbar (2017), which reimagines King Lear as an unhoused, broken-down media titan, doing so with the English novelist’s typical mordant elegance; or John Banville’s Mrs. Osmond (2017), which picks up where The Portrait of a Lady leaves off, and employs Henry James’s endlessly unfolding, simultaneously revealing and withholding sentences. By contrast, Carmen Maria Machado’s excellent stories often exhibit the rhythms of fic, from the clipped style of “Especially Heinous,” a high-level reimagining of characters from Law & Order: SVU, to the driving immersiveness of “The Husband Stitch”: “He smiles at me, and rubs his jaw. A little of my blood smears across his skin, but he doesn’t notice, and I don’t say anything.” In both works that have fic content and those that have fic style, though, affect is the key. Banville writes a James sequel because he loves the original; Miller wants to make Achilles, and the reader, feel all the feels.

There are a number of possible explanations for this leakage of fan culture into literary culture. Literary fiction (A sad young BLANK …) could use some of the energy and feeling that characterizes much of fanfic. Fandom now is seen less as a mark of shame than as a badge of honor. Writers and readers are frustrated with an exclusive focus on craft at the expense of readerly identification. Whatever the root cause, what used to be a hard-and-fast division—literary fiction over here, fanfic over there—has become something of a revolving door.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

I dare say you’ve come to the right place!

finger guns ayyyyyy

ultrachrist posted:

Fanfic: The origin of short sentences, italics, repetition, and the present tense.

Lol, yeah I see what you mean

otoh I think he really just means that fanfic encourages a more immediate and maybe "intuitive" writing style and that it's bleeding into regular fiction writing.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Bad line but it deserves to stay in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
A new person's opinion is just as valid and needed as a veteran's bc at the end of the day we're all morons walking into walls trying to string words together.