Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

A human heart posted:

Isn't a lot of this advice quite biased in favour of extremely formulaic genre fiction narratives with plot and characters as the main focus. like you're spending all this time talking about plot but lots of great books don't have much of a plot or its fairly unimportant?

a formula isn't bad, tho. after all, when i bake cookies i use a recipe because i dont know how to cook. some really good chefs use recipes. thats fine, because they still make good food. its the same thing with fiction. you can have plot centric stories and take the formulaic structure and make it work (also, good authors know how to hide that they're following a formula).

also, there are plenty of good stories that have formulaic plots and some that askew having plot whatsoever. while i will probably be a dissenter and say i dont think everything needs plot, i still see the value in writing with plot. and i also think it's important to write plot and learn how it works in order to figure out the ways to get passed plot. and, also, a lot of this is subjective. readers in genres like fantasy or pulp are probably not going to like the no plot stories (even if they're good no plots). probably for other genres as well but idk i don't read genre often enough that say anything definitive.

so, i guess to answer your question, yes it will lead to formulaic structures but that's not necessarily a bad thing. some (probably most but i dont have anything to back that up) readers like to read those kinds of plots. and most good formulas give you room to stretch, letting you still write something that even if it fits, is still your own. even then you can still change the formula, get rid of plot beats, add new beats, subvert beats. after all, it is p boring to read a formulaic story, thats why authors hide that they use one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Sitting Here posted:

The people reading this thread are probly not the ones who are going to write a dadaist masterpiece, tho

yeah theyre gonna write doodoo (poo)

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
well first they werent written in caps lock so that helps out

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
more like dumbmatic

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

A human heart posted:

Is there like a stone tablet somewhere that says 'usual practice' that all the new writers need to adhere to or something

yes

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
lol thinking people will read the op

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
no ur writing wrong let me do it 4 u

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
im a troll

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

sebmojo posted:

empty quoting this lol

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

anime was right posted:

you're not my real dad

hi dad

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

crabrock posted:

SHOULD HAVE U MORAN'S

no u

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

anime was right posted:

this thread is way worse than the old one. fight me if i'm wrong.

ur way worse

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Chairchucker posted:

Here's some fiction: sebmojo is a good writer

:eyepop:

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
u write bad, prob

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
maybe try writing good?????

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

anime was right posted:

actually getting published, now thats some real fiction

drat

owned

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
maybe the protags r the cops

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

FunkyAl posted:

Hello fiction writing thread, I wrote a Frasier Fan Fiction, please enjoy

thank u

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Djeser posted:

why did you need to use a japanese word for the thing

i love anime

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
for pacing, read other stories in your genre/style. notice how they pace their action but also notice when the pacing seems annoying to you. try to get a feel for how long different types of scenes (major, minor, action, character development, etc) should be. this will change depending on genre and intention, which is why reading similar stories you want to write is helpful. also get in the head of a reader. do they want to read this scene? is it interesting? is it meaningful? when and where does it get boring and can i just cut those boring sections or do i end the scene early or cut the entire scene?

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

fridge corn posted:

most of the topics discussed in this thread seem to be about character development or plot progression. my question was about style, which is generally not very important to genre fiction

thats very wrong and im not even a genre writer

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

magnificent7 posted:

It's killing me. I want to write words. I want to write crafty descriptions, multi-dimensional believable characters, unexpected twists and emotional rollercoasters, but I end up with poo poo sandwich on a filthy re-used paper plate.

i think this is the main issue. it isnt that youre writing bad, which happens we all write bad, it's that youre putting too many expectations on yourself. you cant just expect to pick up a pencil and write these engaging stories w/o a lot of experience. it takes time and effort. one analogy i liked from an author (forgot her name) is that writing is like driving. when you first start driving, youre so focused on what youre hands and feet are doing, you cant listen to music or talk to people in the car. once you get more experience, though, those things get more natural and you can listen or talk without thinking about your feet. its the same thing with writing. you have to learn and get comfortable with writing good sentences, developing characters, creating good plots, etc. and it doesn't happen all on its own, nor is all of the pieces going to be mastered at once. you have to build yourself up, and once you can write strong sentences you can then focus on the next thing, like characters. it takes time and practice. keep working on it, but dont expect to create a masterpiece immediately. its okay to fail at what youre trying to do, because it teaches you how not to do it. eventually, with all those gently caress ups, you realize how to actually do what youre trying to do.

w/r/t to ideas, i like to think the brain is front loaded with bad ideas. as in, when you get a prompt, your brain is equipped to solve it, but usually in the most simple, efficient way. the issue with writing fiction is that the most obvious interpretation is usually the most boring. however, i still find a lot of value in writing or brainstorming those bad boring ideas, because it gets those ideas out of your head. it also gives your brain a new problem -- whats a better idea than this stupid poo poo? and sometimes, it works out and you can get something really cool because your brain takes leaps from that basic, boring idea. (sometimes it doesnt work but thats okay). i know sebmojo does a similar thing where he takes the most obvious interpretation and then changes it until it gets more interesting, but my method mostly involves deleting that rough draft and starting a new thing entirely. different strokes, but it can help.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
my early dms and losses helped me as a writer a lot more than any of my hms and wins.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

CantDecideOnAName posted:

I should probably get back into TD, it's been a long time. I had to quit because the kayfabe got into my head and really messed with me.

imagine the im permabanned poster fyad post but w/ kayfabe instead of irony im too lazy to do that

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
idk man poo poo geyser is p high brow

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
grats and gl

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
u murder them when theyre children its why its called killing your babies u dumbie

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Stuporstar posted:

What do ya'll do when you notice you're using a particular word too much? I keep shoving "especially" into my sentences, can't think of any word that works better. I finally checked the thesaurus, and not a single word in there has the right emphasis or works in the same context. It's driving me crazy.

i search for every instance of the word and then cut it out and then make the sentence work w/o the word.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

the old ceremony posted:

you know what? writing is weird and kinda sucks. im writing a scene where a woman of size fucks a polar bear and now i guess i have to watch a bunch of videos of women of size loving polar bears so i can describe it accurately???? 😰

link?

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

at least don't repeat the same joke

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Exmond posted:

So during the start of TD I was pretty hopeful and getting good advice. Pick up punctuation books, fix spelling, fix grammar. I have gotten better on that side that the advice is no longer "pass grade 5 english". Still room for improvement of course.

The problem I'm having now is the advice im getting is.. inconsistent and vague. It's not something that has mechanics around it nor a clear-cut goal. The best crit I got for my last story was to make the start interesting. Now the advice I'm getting is to have more weight or make things move less quickly. Which isn't something I can exactly look up nor do I understand it. I get line by line crits sometimes but they seem more to be sarcasm than actual help.

Before getting a DM or Loss was okay because I was getting better advice or knew how to improve. This time it stings a little bit because I don't really know how to improve and its the fourth consecutive DM.

just @ me next time dont subtweet me. thats a joke i dont mean that

but for real tho, thats like, how writing goes. like its easy to look up guides on how to punctuate dialogue or read a quick guide on the internet to grammar. but grammar and dialogue punctuation doesnt make a story interesting. no journal or agent is gonna be like "whoa holy cow did you see how good this guy can punctuate." so youre in the hard part of writing now, where your stories might be technically good (aka: error free, sentences make sense, plot points exist and there are characters) but not actually good (the story is interesting, the characters are enjoyable, the prose flows or has a particularly compelling style). and the solution isnt going to be some easy "how do i write a compelling story" because you will find conflicting advice, inconsistency, subjective thoughts, and wide variety of different interpretations of why a story is "good". and looking up the answer doesnt actually help you in the long run, because you can read somebody saying "make your character likeable and have motivation" but actually doing that in a story is completely different. the advice is simple but also lovely af. you have to read, to see what people think are interesting and engaging. and you have to write. i cant tell you how to write a good story, no matter what happens. like, i can tell you why your story didn't work. i can tell you what i disliked. i can tell you what i think makes a story good, but when it comes down to you putting the words on the page, i cant tell you how to do it. i really wish i could. i really wish there was some simple way rather than spending a stupid amount of time writing these loving lovely words and then still writing lovely loving words until sometimes i might get not as lovely words. the only way to get better is to write. and to keep writing. keep getting critiques, but you dont wake up one day and know how to do it. you have to go down into the word mines and break your pickaxe against the rocks over and over again until you start finding something decent.

and it takes a time, sometimes a lot, but it's okay. i mean look at me. im a loving idiot. i racked up like 8 dms in my first 10 td entries or w/e. and sometimes im writing decently occasionally and some people even paid me for my words like wtf. but that took me years to go from "dumb idiot who cant stop dming" to "dumb idiot who can write okay sometimes." and the only way i got there was by writing constantly. and it wasnt by looking up guides or anything (i didnt read style manuals or anything, gently caress that poo poo). i just kept writing, trying to make my stories better, trying to come up with different ideas, trying different styles, seeing what people liked and disliked, but also what i liked and disliked writing. and i think i finally got something of a personal style that works for other people and also myself, but it was only after a lot of writing.

also if you thought my crit was sarcastic, it is not. like im a jerk but i also want you to write better. mostly because i hate reading bad things but also because i want you to write better. but the advice i gave in there, while admittedly harsh, is there to help you. like as fun as it is to yell at somebody, i also try to make sure that im giving genuine advice. so dont think im trying to be an rear end in a top hat for being an rear end in a top hat's sake. i want to help. i was there with you, at one time. and it sucks. god it loving SUCKS to keep getting DMs over and over again and your trying your loving hardest and people hate it and youre like how do i write good what do i do i dont know im not trying to write bad but its all i can do. but you have to put the work in. you have to keep trying because eventually it starts to break through. you start to find your style, start to find the stories that work for you as a writer, and you find who you are as a writer. it can take a long while, but you can do it. i know you can. i mean i did it and im a barely functional human being.

as a little aside, i think that my first collection of DMs in TD were perhaps the most useful things to ever happen to my writing career. they were what made me grow a lot as a writer and i think if i didnt get them i wouldnt be anywhere close to where i am today as a writer.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Mrenda posted:

About submitting work to journals. This article says, "If you are submitting your work, you will inevitably deal with rejection. The average short story or poem may be rejected twenty times before it is accepted, and even famous writers deal with rejection daily. " https://electricliterature.com/lit-mag-submissions-101-how-when-and-where-to-send-your-work-887f826ff7d9

They've mentioned it a few times on that site, the twenty rejections number. Is that true? Or even generally accurate? I know they say, "may be rejected," but even then that seems like a lot.

idk usually i subbed around 10-15 different journals for most of the ones that got picked up eventually but the same general principle is there. it will be rejected, a lot. but it getting rejected is normal, and shouldnt be discouraging

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
obv everybody's writing style and editing style is different, but the key is finding your own. some people underwrite and some overwrite its about knowing what way works for you and how you work with it.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Covok posted:

I decided to try my hand at writing a story in a sword and sorcery style after I couldn't find a book the story collection of Conan the Barbarian at the book store nearby me.

It's a little rough. This is just the first draft. It's called Sebastian The Swordshatterer and it's kind of an anthology thing where Sebastian travelers across the land, comes across some people who are dealing with a supernatural thing, gets into a series of obstacles to overcome it, and ultimately succeeds due to his wits more than his brawn. This is just the first story: Sebastian The Swordshatterer in "The Call of the Wendigo."

If anyone is willing to give it a read and give me some honest critique, I'd be deeply appreciative.

And, I'd be more than willing to help people with their own works, when I get the chance (tax season is starting next week and I'll be working 9-8 then and working Saturdays 9-5 so I might take a while to get back to you).

besides the terrible proofing and cliches, among other things, this story is just really boring. for an anthology that's supposed to be about one character, this does not convince me, in any way, to keep reading more of sebastian. sebastian is a dull, generic character who's character traits are "stoic" and "has a sword" and the world you present to me is paint-by-the-numbers fantasyland with nothing surprising or interesting.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

sebmojo posted:

Yeah i wouldn't write a thing if i didn't do thunderdome.

now youre making td look bad :(

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
while setting the scene is fine, your first sentence in your story is the most important sentence in your entire story, esp in shorter stories. it should drive the reader to want to read more. starting with the weather is boring. it doesn't clue us in to what the character wants, who the character is, what the plot is going to be, or any other interesting elements of a story. imagine you're telling a story to one of your friends. youre not going to start the story by saying "so, yesterday, it was really cold." youll probably say something like "so this crazy thing happened last night where i almost died" (note: dont ever start a real fiction story like that tbh). notice how u hook the reader in, making them interested to know, hey, why did you almost die last night? a first sentence''s job is to make the reader want to read the story, and it does this by being interesting and creating some level of intrigue. the weather and setting is important, but it isnt very interesting. if you could make the weather interesting than yeah, cool, use that as your first line. but for the most part it will be dull.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Naerasa posted:

Actually, almost all the non-form rejections I've gotten from agents/publishers have been both kind and helpful. Some of them were even sweet. The only really rude ones were rude for reasons unrelated to critique.

For the record, I'm not saying TD is bad, I'm just saying that its knife-edged criticisms aren't necessarily the norm.

i think the value of it is that if you can deal with TD's critiques then a journal/agent rejecting your story/manuscript by saying "sorry, but this isnt the place for us" (which is the worst response you're going to get) is going to be a lot easier.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

readingatwork posted:

but can I write my novel in future tense!?

yeah why not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
hi maybe weird question but nowhere else to put this

i have been working on a creative nonfiction piece, getting up to about 5k words, that i'm looking to get published eventually. anyone know any good markets for creative nonfiction, or any good resources for finding creative nonfiction markets? ive looked some up on google and what not, but im wondering if anyone has some good resources for finding them since i usually use submission grinder for my fiction markets, but idk if there's a similar thing for nonfiction.