Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Any male POV is going to notice boobs on a woman within 5 seconds of meeting her so not all that unrealistic for it to be the first thing described in that POV honestly

hmmmm

nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
i think a strong way of using familiar tropes and what not is that they can be used as shorthand so the author can get to something more interesting. for example, when we say elves and dwarves, we dont really need to describe them anymore because theyre pretty culturally ingrained into our minds. so instead of wasting your time writing about how elves love nature and dwarves are drunkards, you can just say "there are elves and dwarves," let the reader fill in the gap, and then do something more interesting with that setting.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
simply just having a beta reader who uses mostly english will help sort those things out. they dont even need to be an editor or writer if you just need somebody to tell you “nah we dont rly use those words like that” or if you missed a word or something

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
yeah there’s basically three types of rejection: generic, generic but slightly nicer, and the personal “this was good but wasnt a fit for us” w/ maybe some feedback in it or a please sub to us again w/ a note saying we liked you

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

anatomi posted:

Is there a word for when you drop your smartphone on your face?

dropping a smartphone on your face

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
giving the name tho would be pretty bad since itd create an impression that the sister would then matter when the story basically never refers to the sister again. having it be peter's sister actually kinda works because that's what she is, just peter's sister, and that's her only role. giving her a name gives an impression that she matters when she doesnt. and, if the sentence stays the way it is, the sister's name then becomes the first named character in the story when she's barely present in the story, which is not good.

ultimately, id just either drop the sister or make her actually present in the story if youre very married to the concept.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
does anyone have any fiction that authentically captures internet communication? whenever i try, it either comes off as super cheesy, or like im an old guy trying to desperately to be understand the youths even tho im 22 and have never known a life before the internet. i want to see how people in prose deal with this kind of stuff because i sure as hell dont know how to

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Fruity20 posted:

I know this thread is dead but I'm having an issue: a common recurring thing with YA media is the whole relationship drama thing . yea know ya breaks up and all that....I have a character who's been dating this other character for 6 months now despite being childhood friends. ...turns out character A is Bi and has been conflicting feelings about himself. He eventually breaks up with character B and tries to better understand his sexuality....this is where problems begin to arise. is this bad? will character B be fine with the fact her boyfriend after many years of keeping secrets from her, leaves her one day to date other people. doesn't help matters that they're teens in this instance.

this isnt bad because this happens in the real world. and those questions of “will character B be fine” is something you have to explore as an author. u know ur characters better than us, so u have to figure if your character will be fine or not, and to what extent

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Fruity20 posted:

is this sarcasm or genuine interest? (also anyone can steal the idea honestly...just ask first)

u dont need any1’s permission to write whatever u want. just write it

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
for texts, u can prob just do it like normal dialogue.

like blab blab blab person texted

blah other person responded

including timestamps doesnt feel really important unless ur either rly trying to hammer home authentic texting, it’s a story whose gimmick is it’s told entirely thru texts so u keep the timestamps to amplify that feeling of reading a text history, or if the time it takes between the replies are super important (but then again, u can just say things like “it took her fifteen minutes to respond” instead of having a timestamp on every message)

it’s mostly preference tho and feeling out what works best for the kind of story ur telling

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Doctor Zero posted:

Are you having a stroke?

no sir

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

TigerXtrm posted:

Please tell me you published something, I would love to read it.

sure, there’s

https://bluemarblereview.com/flying/

or

http://www.vestalreview.org/issue50/ (mine is the flower one)

or

http://www.flash-frontier.com/november-2016-birds/#twittering

or

http://www.manawaker.com/podcast/ffp-0133-a-plea-to-the-little-bird/

or a few others if ur so inclined to want some more

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

feedmyleg posted:

Huh. So you can use capital letters and full-length words, you just choose not to when asking for writing advice.

:monocle:

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
the main thing with action scene is that a good action scene requires the reader to have stakes in the scene. that involves 1) readers liking or having some attachment to the characters that are in the scene and 2) that the action scene have consequences to them that are understood and tangible. even a nicely described action scene is going to be boring if we dont care about the people involved. in writing, youre not gonna be able to get away with big explosions and shoot outs on their own, they need to feel meaningful rather than just spectacle for spectacle's sake.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

bigperm posted:

I have a problem with being too nice to my characters. All of my stories just sort of fade into this really boring situation where only good things are happening. I just really struggle putting a character through any sort of lasting trauma. Does anyone have any advice on getting over this?

i wouldnt say your characters need to have lasting trauma, but placing obstacles in their way to overcome is going to make a story more interesting. place your character into a situation where they have to make some hard decisions, but it doesnt have to be something that is traumatic.

i mean, you seem to know what the problem is, so the advice is really just write situations where things arent going well for your characters and then keep doing that, really.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Screaming Idiot posted:

Is it okay for biases to show up in writing? I started my story about an seven-foot-tall amnesiac waking up in a tomb with a magical katana grasped in his hand and I somehow ended up with him in court for assaulting his world's equivalent to a cop for trying to arrest a pair of beggar children. It's only the third chapter.

have you read *anything* that wasnt biased in some way. some of the best works of art in general are highly biased.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

oot posted:

There is a pattern to it. In the first few chapters almost every POV is different, because I want to show the events leading up to the main conflict from different perspectives to create a sense of dread and context. Then after the conflict is established it mostly sticks to the protagonist's POV with occasional switches when it would benefit the themes, mood or pacing by showing something the protagonist couldn't know.

why is it that the third chapter is the one getting the ire then? was the third chapter the first time you did the PoV switches? did they have any comments about the other PoV switches?

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

I wanted to try and practice writing again, but if I wanted to post something more than a few sentences for critique, where should I post it?

make ur own thread in CC

u can also link the thread here to get more attention to it

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
i think if ur trying to deliberately satirize or parody isekais, you would want your audience to be familiar with not only what an isekai is, but the tropes of it, so having the name in it would help make sure ur getting the audience you need for it work

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
isekai's arent art so its w/e

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
thunderdome discord: https://discord.gg/KPbzCja

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
there's a lot of passive-like voice in this. try to avoid "feeling" or "seeing" and have things be immediate. for example, "feeling the iron chains tying" to "iron chains tied her." in a scene like this where the character is supposed to be losing control, i think its good to have the objects be the subject of the sentences. she doesnt have control and so she doesnt even get top billing in the sentences.

also i think avoiding was in scenes like this helps make things more immediate. "her breathing was rapid and shallow" vs "her breathing rapid and shallow." "rin was lying under the cotton vestment" vs "rin lied under the cotton vestment" or if we wanted to go with my previous comment of having the objects being the subject, "a cotton vestment covered rin." more immediacy here i think sells the horror stronger, as theres no control and things keep happening and she cant do anything about it.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
i think a big part is AI folks trying to get something published for a headline of "venerated fiction journal publishes AI work." doesnt matter if they flood a market with garbage or squeeze out genuine authors, they just want to sell AI as legitimate and they only view journals as a way to make AI look impressive if they can accepted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Ihmemies posted:

Well, I thought people want to be with similar people. Thus they also probably want to read about similar people too, not some weird rear end guys. Who wants to read stuff where the reader is always like “Why does he think like that? Why he does actions like that? What’s wrong with him??”

In my opinion sounds exactly like the book would be just left unread.

not trying to be an rear end, but this same thought process can be applied to any minority group. "why would people want to read about queer people? most people are straight and cant relate." i dont have any metrics to back it up, but it seems like with the rise of more overt queer media that it isnt true that people will only consume stuff about the default, "normal" people. so i think there is a space for more neurodivergent protagonists and narrators as the space for media is expanding