Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Read a bunch of westerns, then a bunch of southern gothics, then decide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

FunkyAl posted:

Hello fiction writing thread, I wrote a Frasier Fan Fiction, please enjoy

Ugh, someone didn't read the first post :(

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Welcome to the Fiction Writing Advice (and general discussion) thread!

Writing fiction is hard, frustrating, fun, and rewarding, and it is awesome that you are doing it (or thinking of doing it)! This thread is the place for you to ask and answer all sorts of questions regarding fiction writing. Also to post all your successes and (if you feel like it) failures, and get appropriately enthusiastic and encouraging responses. Also possibly appropriate and enthusiastic critiques. It’s a good place to engage in dialogue with other people who are writing fiction, at all levels of “accomplishment” or whatever.

Chances are good that by the time you are reading this thread, it will be very long and you just won’t have the time to read the entire thing. That is fine! No one really expects you to.  Please do us all the favor of reading AT LEAST THIS FIRST loving POST FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

---

4) IF YOU WANT FEEDBACK:

If you want advice on specific things you are writing, you have a couple options. If it’s just a few sentences, you can post it in here. If it’s 1000 words or less, it goes in the Fiction Farm. If it’s longer than that, start a new thread. You can link here and ask for crits. Never ever ever post something that you haven’t already read and revised yourself.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Echo Cian posted:

Seems you need to add a troll clause.

"Dr. Kloctopussy is the only poster allowed to troll the Fiction Advice thread."

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Deltasquid posted:

That was a good read, yeah. I do like you touching upon "reader expectations" because I never really linked that with genres specifically. It's the reason why so much fantasy seems to be formulaic as well: the reader signed up for a story about elves, dragons, possibly kings and queens. To market yourself as a fantasy story and then to not deliver on that is a waste of your reader's time, no matter how good your story is. Conversely, people who might like your story, dodge your book because they expect traditional fantasy poo poo and they have 0 interest in any of that world-saving magic nonsense.

You might want to go check the date on a newspaper, because if you're finding mostly Elves and Dragons on your fantasy shelves you may have traveled 20 years into the past.

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 21, 2017

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

anime was right posted:

my expectation is now excel spreadsheets about the magic system

What Wiz Zumalt could do with computers was magic on Earth. Then, one day the master computer hacker is called to a different world to help fight an evil known as the Black League. Suddenly, the Wiz finds himself in a place governed by magic--and in league with a red-headed witch who despises him.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Deltasquid posted:

I recently read Robin Hobb and although probably not an elf, the Fool (if that's his name in English?) is definitely similar enough to count.

Spades of dragons though.

EDIT: I may have been reading fantasy books written 20 years ago

Hmmmmm a series that started in 1995.... :banjo:

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

After The War posted:

Because Japanese is matched only by German in "single word to mean incredibly specific thing," and even then, the German would probably be something like hauptfiguranderetransportiertwerden.

But "Fukkin Isekai" is two words????

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

What Wiz Zumalt could do with computers was magic on Earth. Then, one day the master computer hacker is called to a different world to help fight an evil known as the Black League. Suddenly, the Wiz finds himself in a place governed by magic--and in league with a red-headed witch who despises him.

I actually have no idea what the point of the Isekai post was. I was just posting this as a bad joke about computing wizards.

But anyway, after posting it I decided I actually wanted to read it again, so I bought it on kindle.... Then yesterday I found the actual paperback in my basement :/

p.s. It cost more than a dime and I only got two of them

p.p.s. The villain of this book is named Toth-Set-Ra.

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jul 4, 2017

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Query letters don't need to state what genre the book is. Just send your blurb. For agents, I am sure there are other books that are speculative fiction that just happen to be set in space. Read the acknowledgements, authors thank their agents. Look at "normal sci-fi" agents and then look at what books they have sold. See anything that looks kinda close to yours? Send the query.

Sorry if you were hoping for magical keywords :(

Check out Query Shark for tons of advice on writing query letters.

With respect to printing, I'd you're looking at 5 copies at $20/each, you may as well start looking into buying your own printer.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

ExtraNoise posted:

Actually this is a great idea. B&W laser printers aren't too expensive these days. (I have an ink jet but trying to print out hundreds of pages on it seems like the worst idea.)

I hadn't thought of this option. I think I will start saving my pennies.

Be sure to check how much the refills are -- my first laser printer was $80 and the refills were $60 :lol:

On the other hand the refills did like 5k pages at least, so still waaaaaaay cheaper than kinkos.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

cash crab posted:

No, I don't need anything really specific, but all the agencies I've looked at are pretty specific about people assigning genre with their queries. But thanks for the tip about the letters.

Yeaaaaah, looking at samples again, this does look like standard practice. Good job me.

Maybe try:

THE BEST BOOK is an 85,000 word speculative fiction novel set in space.

Though I guess that would be obvious from the query.

----

Can confirm that the Sci Fi community cares deeply about the purity of the term Sci Fi. Surely someone has made a big list of other genres people should be calling things instead?

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 21, 2017

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

cash crab posted:

No, that could probably work. I'll look around. Also:

I was just thinking, this could be a pretty good solution to your problem. In addition to getting your own printer, you could probably cut costs by having just a few people test read it at a time and circulate those copies, presuming they don't get marked up.

If you do this, I suggest you pay the extra to get it spiral bound, because passing a manuscript between 5 people with just a butterfly clip seems like asking for trouble.

Plus the spiral binding makes it feel fancy.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Safety Biscuits posted:

Don't write origin stories, they are bad and stupid.

This is why every new Spider Man starts with his origin story.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Hungry posted:

Anybody got any favourite/preferred outlining methods?

I used to be big on discovery writing until I made a huge mess of a first draft and used outlines to dig around and figure out what I was trying to do with the story. But until today I've never started a project by specifically trying to outline before writing at least 20-30k words (which usually end up trashed fast because I'm just stumbling around). I'm trying to outline first this time, and it's unexplored territory for me.

Not on the wall yet:

I'm uh... Maybe not the best person to take advice from on this subject.

I may have written more on outlining ideas in one of the first posts, but I forget.

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 27, 2017

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

MockingQuantum posted:

Are there any worthwhile online courses for novel writing, paid or otherwise? I've never had anything like a writing class, outside of the standard ones required as part of education curriculum, and I wouldn't mind having a class that maybe results in me stumbling around blindly a little less.

Brandon Sanderson's lectures from his fiction writing class at BYU are online for free.

A few of us here watched the earlier videos way back in 2013 and found them useful at the very least to the extent that they motivated us to try and write novels. I found them helpful in terms of content as well. (I think some of the other people also did, but i will refrain from speaking for them).

More recent, and better quality videos are now available on youtube. I haven't watched these exact videos, but presumably they are very similar to the ones I have, and I liked those, so maybe these will also be good!

There is a link to the youtubes here: https://brandonsanderson.com/2016-sanderson-lectures/

I'm not linking directly b/c youtube is being loving weird as broken hell for me at the moment.

p.s. we should definitely be calling him Brandy Sandy, right???

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 6, 2017

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

p.s. we should definitely be calling him Brandy Sandy, right???

BRANDY. SANDY.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
For me, the whole point of index cards (post-its) on the wall is so I CAN explore multiple possibilities easily, while still keeping track of the overall structure and story. I have multiple possible, sometimes contradictory, plot lines/scenes that can be stacked up and viewed all at once to evaluate. It's easy to stick new ideas in and take old ones out, or rearrange them, or put an old one back in again.

I just make new post-its for every thing that comes up while I'm writing, and then see how it fits. What would need to change if this is what happened? Generate a bunch of new post-its for that.

Indented outlines on a page freeze me up like nothing else, but if I "just write," I end up with a mess that requires a bunch of cleaning up afterwards.... And that clean up involves doing exactly what I do with the post-its. Deciding what fits together best and how, then filling in the gaps.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Ask in the self-publishing thread, too. People in there have lots of experience, and I don't know how many of them read this thread.

I think I remember someone saying in there that they greatly preferred Amazon's print on demand to createspace, but I could be totally wrong.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

HIJK posted:

Sounds like a typical first draft to me :unsmith:

Same.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
I was typing a new response, but I realized I was just rewriting my answer from the first posts:

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

When am I FINISHED?

1) Now
2) When it’s due
3) When you give up
4) When you’ve made it as good as you think you reasonably can
5) When you realize that all further edits are just pushing you into an unending spiral of desolation and there is no end other than resignation
6) When you die
7) When it’s perfect

At some point you must be finished with whatever you are writing. I highly recommend not allowing that point to be when you die. And there’s a reason why “when it’s perfect” comes after “when you die” in the list above (it’s because you will die before it’s perfect). The rest of the list is in no particular order though, because honestly, you need to figure it out for yourself. And figuring it out for yourself, other than in the blessed situation of “when it’s due,” can sometimes result in existential crises, panic attacks, or an overwhelming sense of relief.

If you have written your story start to finish, given it multiple editing passes, and tinkering with it is no longer enjoyable, let it go. If you were planning to submit to a contest on a certain date, submit it.

Writing requires a bravery bordering on recklessness.

Should I finish everything I start?

While some people advise this as a way to avoid starting a bunch of things but never finishing them, I don’t think an absolutist position on finishing everything is helpful. Sometimes you’re going to start something and realize it’s going nowhere and that continuing to work on it is pointless. When that happens, it makes sense to give up on that particular piece. Otherwise you are just wasting valuable time and energy.

However, if you are only starting things, and never finishing them, you have a problem (unless you don’t care about producing a finished work and just enjoy writing beginnings, I guess). At that point, it’s time to face the scary facts and look at why you aren’t finishing anything. Is “getting bored easily” secret code for “anxiety over not being good enough’? Is there some particular point in a story where you always get stuck (screw you Act II doldrums…)? Have you noticed that you don’t do anything ever without outside pressure? (I’m looking at you mirror). Try to identify and address the problem.

If you get bored easily, try writing something shorter. It’s way easier to get bored of a 1,000 page epic than a 1,000 word short story. If you get stuck on specific things, look at how other writers handle it. Maybe look at books on writing for suggestions, too. If you freak out about perfection or need an external deadline, look for things that will force you to be finished at a specific time. Here on SA you can consider the Thunderdome and the Long Walk, but there are also fiction magazines with submission deadlines and other {{writing groups}} that focus on accountability.

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 21, 2017

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Omi no Kami posted:

Is the best way to handle this to just go 'screw it', write from where I am to the end, then see if physically writing out the rest of the story gives me a better idea of how to set it up?

Probably, but there's only one way to find out!

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Definitely don't skip out on time writing when you are so excited about it. KEEP GOING.

(ALWAYS KEEP GOING)

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Stuporstar posted:

Avoid X of X titles for a start. Every hack writer trying to capture the same feel as Game of Thrones have beaten that poo poo into paste.

Seriously, check all this poo poo out:
Name of the Wind
House of the Scorpion
Sword of Destiny
Six of Crows
Wheel of Time
Lord of the Rings
Tale of Two Cities
Count of Monte Cristo
Stranger of a Stanger Land

Edit: 30 minutes later remembered my working title right now is Amulet of Air :lol:

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 28, 2017

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

anime was right posted:

amulet of air: ascension; a novel by a novelist, part 1 in an epic fantasy series

Amulet of Air: Ascension, a novel by a novelist, part 1 of the Summermist Knight of Dragons Cycle

Stuporstar posted:

A third of those were written before it was cliche though (and another third of them are garbage).

this.... this was the joke ;___;

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 29, 2017

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

fridge corn posted:

im only asking cuz ive got an idea for a novel i want to write but when i think about the premise of it and how i want to write it, it sounds very much like a kind of book that some other authors ive read would have written. authors with very distinctive styles.

how do you avoid the trap of mimicry or pastiche?

i know this is ultimately a dumb question cuz i haven't actually written anything yet and i won't get a chance to start writing anything for a while due to life and not even owning a computer but wondering if anyone else struggles with anything similar?

It's true that style questions apply to genre books as well, BUT it's also true that we don't talk about style as much as plot and stuff, so I'm going to try to answer that question instead of arguing about genre (just imagine I c/p-ed my last post on that, ok).

First, you say the premise/how you want to write it sounds like how some other authors WOULD have written. That's a good start, b/c if I understand correctly, it's not very much like something they have already written. Second, if it feels like many authors to you, then there is a chance it won't actually sound like mimicry or pastiche, because it will be pulling elements from different places, and most likely, just by default, will have some element of yourself in it. So, baseline, I think you are probably overthinking this and worrying when you don't need to.

Second, you write what you are going to write and then you edit it, and if while doing that you think it sounds too much like mimicry or pastiche you figure out why and change it.

I was actually going to write more about style in general, but I see that you were only asking that specific question, and also that you aren't even planning to try writing it soon, so I'm gonna stop for now and hopefully get back to that subject when I have more time. I think the OPs are pretty sparse on style advice right now, too. Didn't we talk about this a few months ago? Possibly starting from nearly the exact same intro of genre v. not? Early March, I think.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

It's true that style questions apply to genre books as well, BUT it's also true that we don't talk about style as much as plot and stuff, so I'm going to try to answer the question about not sounding like mimicry/pastiche, instead of arguing about genre (just imagine I c/p-ed my last post on that, ok).

First, you say the premise/how you want to write it sounds like how some other authors WOULD have written. That's a good start, b/c if I understand correctly, it's not very much like something they have already written. Second, if it feels like many authors to you, then there is a chance it won't actually sound like mimicry or pastiche, because it will be pulling elements from different places, and most likely, just by default, will have some element of yourself in it. So, baseline, I think you are probably overthinking this and worrying when you don't need to.

Second, you write what you are going to write and then you edit it, and if while doing that you think it sounds too much like mimicry or pastiche you figure out why and change it.

I was actually going to write more about style in general, but I see that you were only asking that specific question, and also that you aren't even planning to try writing it soon, so I'm gonna stop for now and hopefully get back to that subject when I have more time. I think the OPs are pretty sparse on style advice right now, too. Didn't we talk about this a few months ago? Possibly starting from nearly the exact same intro of genre v. not? Early March, I think.

edit: lol somehow i managed to immediately empty-quote myself on accident. GJ me.

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 30, 2017

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

"Read Hemingway."

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
I write nearly all my first drafts by hand, including 40+ short stories and 1.5 novels so far. Writing by hand has the added benefit of providing a natural editing step as I type up my notes.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

the old ceremony posted:

i meant it in a nice way

it was taken as the highest compliment

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

magnificent7 posted:

Haha well, my first DM was 4 years ago. I tried again, sucked again, and swore I'd never post my work alongside a bunch of high brow smarty arty writers ever again. 8 months later, I returned, sucked, slinked away, repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

Are we even talking about the same Thunderdome????

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
I was referring to the high brow arty smarty part

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
You shouldn't query on a book you know needs a rehaul.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Is it cool to ask for beta readers in this thread or should I do that elsewhere or make my own thread? FINALLY got around to editing and revising the finalish draft of one of my novels that I'd like to start shopping around.

Here's cool. Post another thread if you want to share parts of the story here on SA (vs. finding a few people who are willing to read in private). It will help if you post a blurb here, like what you would send in a query letter or see on the back of a book.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

It's a little over 96k words. My goal was to write something fun with a lot of heart in it. It's a cyberpunk police procedural love story starring a sad gay woman with bionic limbs. PM me if you're interested! Or post here, I suppose?

This sounds cool and I would read it if I weren't already beta-reading 4 other novels and writing my own.

If you PM me a link I might be able to at least look at the first few chapters and tell you if it draws me in.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
I've only written one horror-like thing, if that, and I thought of something gruesome and then pushed that concept as far as I could tolerate, while mostly focusing on the conflict of the main character over whether she was doing the right thing or not. It might not even be horror, but it makes me feel uncomfortable when I read it, so I guess it succeeds for an audience of one at least.

To me what's scary isn't gore, but what people will do to each other and why.

For monsters, for me, it's all about the feeling of being unable to escape. Everything you try goes wrong. When you think you're safe, you're not. The emotional pay off is usually the hero not just ~surviving~ but actually regaining control. After all their friends die though. I'm sure there are monster movies where everyone dies and the emotional payoff is being reminded that the world is a cruel and indifferent place and the thin thread of control you have over your own life could be terminally snipped at any time. Personally I hate this feeling and don't understand why people would seek it out.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
at least don't repeat the same joke

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Burkion posted:

So I'm conflicted on this.

I am very, very serious about trying to get my project published, and I want to get it as good as I can possibly take it.

Should I just keep posting chapters as I get them done to my thread? Get proper critiques from people that bother to look them over?

I should be able to remove them later on if it, hopefully!, becomes an issue. but I'm not sure anyone would really want that. I think I'm on the right track but I am so loving in my own headspace with the story it's kind of hard to say for certain.

I would find a few people willing to read the whole thing, and share it with them privately. If you can afford it, a freelance editor is also worth looking into.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Taciturn Tactician posted:

What's the rules on replacing thunderdome avs anyway? Are they juat straight up forever or you're a coward?

If you replace it in under a day we will laugh at you.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Exmond posted:

So during the start of TD I was pretty hopeful and getting good advice. Pick up punctuation books, fix spelling, fix grammar. I have gotten better on that side that the advice is no longer "pass grade 5 english". Still room for improvement of course.

The problem I'm having now is the advice im getting is.. inconsistent and vague. It's not something that has mechanics around it nor a clear-cut goal. The best crit I got for my last story was to make the start interesting. Now the advice I'm getting is to have more weight or make things move less quickly. Which isn't something I can exactly look up nor do I understand it. I get line by line crits sometimes but they seem more to be sarcasm than actual help.

Before getting a DM or Loss was okay because I was getting better advice or knew how to improve. This time it stings a little bit because I don't really know how to improve and its the fourth consecutive DM.

Alright, I was going to put this at the end of my post, because it feels like more of a "p.s." kinda thing, but then the post ended up being kinda long, and I want to be sure you read it, so: I really only entered this week because of that conversation with you and trex about your entry. Like...I was so into your idea I was like "let's do this," and then of course I got my own card and had to write my own story and was like "argh, why can't I write about a teacher fighting a dragon like I was thinking about???" So don't quit.

ALSO our dude with the highest number of losses is none other than Jay W. Fricks, winner of this week and general hero. Our DM champion is Thranguy, who also has nine wins.

Moving on:

This is probably not particularly comforting, but one reason the advice you are getting is now inconsistent and/or vague is actually BECAUSE you are getting better (Muffin mentioned this in his judgement post as well). It's easy for everyone to agree like "oh yeah, fix punctuation, fix grammar," etc. And seriously, you've done a good and remarkably swift job of doing that. Past that, you are going to start running into everyone else's opinions on how they think things should work generally, or if they they are talking about something specific, specifically, and even a single person's advice may end up being vague or inconsistent between those things. Like when we were talking a few days ago in IRC, and Trex and I were telling you things at the same time--some of it was the same, some of it wasn't, some if it would work for you, some of it wouldn't Such is the nature of the beast. At some point the path to improvement stops being a well-paved avenue and becomes a winding path with branches and thorns and who even loving knows. It's tough.

I think you can do it.

I'm bummed that you find the line-by-lines you are getting more sarcastic than helpful. There's a lot of ~omg everything here is the worst~ in Thunderdome, but personally, I still want it to be a helpful thing. I think most of the people participating do, too. A lot of things in-thread tend to end up a little bit overblown though, and I really don't want that to discourage you (or anyone). Like...for me the over-the-top nature of the criticism makes it easier to take, because when you're expecting an enraged hellbeast to come storming in screaming about how every word you wrote is terrible, it's less bad when they are like "half of these words are terrible." But that's just me.

I'm happy to give you a read-through of your latest story and tell you where I think you can improve with zero sarcasm, I promise, and I think other people in IRC will as well. If anything brings us together (besides blood lust and rage, obviously), it's actually trying to make everyone a better writer. hosed up, but true.

Actual p.s.: CantDecideOnAName, I was pretty stoked to see you enter again after you said earlier that the intense kayfabe was bad for you the first time around! Even if you don't end up judging, it's always a productive (and very much appreciated) act to go through a week and give even a brief opinion on everyone's story. You really do get a lot out of looking at what other people wrote with an EYE OF EVALUATION.

(Critical Eye sounds dumb)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Now it's gonna be whose email folder has the most gigs