Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
JOIN THIS DISCORD to coordinate Games With Goons™:
https://discord.gg/6DthKgN

ShockWave is a mod for the much maligned Command and Conquer Generals: Zero Hour expansion that makes it a highly accurate simulation of the current geopolitical conflict in the middle east

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E003wSKsYTc

It’s a game about big explosions. It’s a game about massing nuclear powered tanks only to have them explode in a chain reaction inside your base. It’s a game about having your infantry spray the other team’s infantry with super soakers filled with anthrax. Forget APM and min/maxing build order, in this game you can play like ISIS yes I do mean playing as a middle eastern militant group and stealing all of the other team’s humvees. Infantry exoskeletons, GLA aircraft, mortar squads, artillery cover fire, upgraded general abilities. The gimmicks are endless.

quote:

The main goal of this mod is to make Zero Hour a more interesting game with more diversity between the generals, making you think twice before you select a certain general, and overall provide more choices, diversity, and strategic freedom than in Zero Hour - while keeping the spirit and design direction of the original Generals game and storyline.

ShockWave 1.21 includes 3 new Generals, over 100 new units, tons of new structures, upgrades, maps and many other gameplay tweaks. ShockWave also provides completely custom made sound effects and music, new in-game weapon effects and visuals, bug fixes, and an improved battlefield overview with a higher viewpoint.

This really doesn't sell it very well, it's like they made another expansion on top of zero hour. There is SO MUCH STUFF and all of it is implemented incredibly well. Shockwave might be a modification to a fifteen year old strategy game left dead in the water by it’s developers but it’s under active development (!) with the latest version having been released less than a year ago (!!)

There is a button to make combat chinooks play ‘rise of the valkyries.’ and oh yeah, there are a whole lot of taunts.

gently caress THE GENEVA CONVENTION

THIS IS A GIANT EARTHQUAKE TANK

It’s ridiculous. It’s stupid. It’s gimmicky. it's surprisingly well balanced. And it’s amazingly fun.

I thought this game died with gamespy?

Even though this game was left to rot by EA and no longer has an official online component, The SWR developers implemented an online lobby called SWR.net that doesn’t require loving around with hamachi. That’s right, this game :siren: still has functional and active online multiplayer :siren:

it's kind of hacked in with it's own emulated network adapter, kind of like hamachi, but it works pretty drat well. It's not the most populated, but there are people on occasionally. Hopefully we can remedy that

Be sure to not use cheat engine or any trainers because they will ban you and then you'll be poo poo out of luck.

Doesn’t this game use securom?

Yeah, and to play on windows 10 you legitimately need to find a :filez: crack to circumvent the now completely broken securom drivers. Yes, I am seriously telling you that you need to crack this game to get it to run on windows 10. Don’t bother trying to modify your registry to get securom to work, because it won’t. I tried. Just download a crack.

I am not going to tell you where to find a crack due to moderator order but it is not difficult. This is not an endorsement of piracy, you still need a CD key to install the game, and the online lobby won’t let you join a game if it detects you have the same CD key as another player. But at least it will run without a CD now!

How i do??

Install Generals, then Zero Hour, patch Zero Hour, and the install the mod. if the game 'encounters a serious error' on startup you probably just need to update your options.ini file since modern windows permissions kind of gently caress with the game. If it just doesn't start, you probably need to crack it. See above!

Getting online to work is a little finicky, you have to enable swr.net on the launcher and start a multiplayer game, and then if it still isn't routing through the network adapter (you can check in the in-game options menu to see if your IP is a weird 10.x.x.x ip rather than your net IP) it might require disabling and re-enabling it. but once it works, it will stay working. I haven't had any lag issues or disconnects except when playing with idiots who clearly are playing on ancient computers

LINKS

Where to download the mod:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/cc-shockwave

an old archived wiki that has pretty extensive information on each general and the units they have:
http://web.archive.org/web/20111113213927/http://wiki.falloutstudios.org/wiki/Manual:ShockWave

The SWR productions discord full of very annoying people who will usually provide support and sometimes play games:
https://discord.gg/2jMfER2

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Zero Hour owns (best C&C game?), Shockwave owns, ROTR also owns but I'm kind of waiting for generals to get added in.

I might hop in on this if enough goons start playing.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I, Fruit Chewy, endorse this product and/or service.

This mod is legit as hell and contains at least 500% more lasers than vanilla or zero hour.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!

Fruit Chewy posted:

I, Fruit Chewy, endorse this product and/or service.

This mod is legit as hell and contains at least 500% more lasers than vanilla or zero hour.

LASERS TAKE A LOT OF POWER.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Hells yes I used to play the poo poo out of Shockwave.

Did they ever fix it to work on the Origin version of Zero Hour? That's the only one I can dig up these days :saddowns:

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Did they ever fix it to work on the Origin version of Zero Hour? That's the only one I can dig up these days :saddowns:

I think there's a mod loader or something you can use with the origin one? I'm not sure honestly. I've had the same generals install for like 7 years or something.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I've had good luck playing games with randos in the online lobby, so don't be afraid that there'll be nobody to play with. Plus me and chewy have been playing and we're loving terrible

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

"Wow! Where can I possibly get this game?!" https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/command-and-conquer/command-and-conquer-the-ultimate-collection/ultimate-collection

$20 for every Command and Conquer game.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
lol if you don't have this game in a box somewhere with the discs unreadably scratched and/or lost

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I own "The First Decade" somewhere and honestly following second decade of command and conquer games are all garbage.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

nigga crab pollock posted:

lol if you don't have this game in a box somewhere with the discs unreadably scratched and/or lost
I lost the box a decade ago, but I am holding the Deluxe Edition Command & Conquer Generals jewel case in my hand this very moment. :smug:

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
We did a couple 1v1v1s tonight and everything went great! If you're having any issues getting things setup, check out the pins in our discord. I went ahead and pinned the solutions to every error I've encountered in the process of setting this up on a few different installs.

All of this poorly cut together nonsense could be yours to enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3nPEXValNY

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jan 30, 2017

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

my household had 3 copies when I was growing up but the boxes have long since disappeared :saddowns:

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

apparently you need to download updated launchers but it should work with the origin version

http://bibber.eu/downloads/cnc-ultimate-collection-launchers/

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Goddamn do I not know how to play GLA. Who has time for stealth and trickery when you could be building more tanks?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mordja posted:

Goddamn do I not know how to play GLA. Who has time for stealth and trickery when you could be building more tanks?

Back in the day, I played GLA Juhziz by spamming Scorpions, Quad Cannons, and Bike Terrorists at every enemy, using Tunnel Networks to get my forces into the poo poo. Just endless macroing of building Black Markets, Arms Dealers, and vehicles in a tide of explosive death.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Yeah, and to play on windows 10 you legitimately need to find a :filez: crack to circumvent the now completely broken securom drivers. Yes, I am seriously telling you that you need to crack this game to get it to run on windows 10. Don’t bother trying to modify your registry to get securom to work, because it won’t. I tried. Just download a crack.

Securom was pretty broken even in those days. I love love LOVE the irony that so much money was put into a means of preventing piracy, which didn't work at all and in fact this game was released to the Internet like days or weeks before the official release, and that their securom thing caused a lot of games to not work and in some cases caused computers to erase their hard drives or some weird poo poo, and in the end a lot of people need to download the pirated game just so they can play their legitimately bought game.

Anyway, more on topic, I've always been a Generals apologist. This looks awesome. What is Discord? Someone told me it's just Teamspeak.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

credburn posted:

Securom was pretty broken even in those days. I love love LOVE the irony that so much money was put into a means of preventing piracy, which didn't work at all and in fact this game was released to the Internet like days or weeks before the official release, and that their securom thing caused a lot of games to not work and in some cases caused computers to erase their hard drives or some weird poo poo, and in the end a lot of people need to download the pirated game just so they can play their legitimately bought game.

Anyway, more on topic, I've always been a Generals apologist. This looks awesome. What is Discord? Someone told me it's just Teamspeak.

it's a game centered text + voice chat app that's more about convenience and joining groups. it's more like slack than teamspeak.

as for gla i have no clue how to play toxin general since there really don't seem to be many massable units that are effective against other vehicles. except buggies, but those are made of wet paper and any artillery will gently caress an entire blob before they have a chance to do anything

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Still unironically playing this dead gay game almost nightly. It's a huge pain to install and set up. You should 100% do it anyway.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Mordja posted:

salvage general's marauders get three cannons and let me tell you how i won a game with like six of them

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

salvage general's marauders get three cannons and let me tell you how i won a game with like six of them

salvage general is the only acceptable gla general because he's basically poverty china

Orv
May 4, 2011
Does the expansion invalidate quadcannon rushing?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Orv posted:

pretty sure you can get around that with like a single well placed artillery unit. or like, tanks. quad cannons are poo poo against armor

or base defense artillery :getin:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So, what is the most efficient way to get a working copy of Zero Hour online?

My friends and I have wanted to play this forever, even taken to reinstalling our CDs, but it's always one problem after another. I'll rebuy whatever I have to, I just want the easiest path from getting it -> being online.

Orv posted:

That was never very good against most generals.

My concern actually is if it fixes the hilarious imbalance with USA Laser vs USA Air, where Air could crank out an aurora and autokill the only AA unit USA Laser could make.

Fruit Chewy posted:

Still unironically playing this dead gay game almost nightly. It's a huge pain to install and set up. You should 100% do it anyway.

Please share your pitfalls and pain so we may know how to set this up.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Blazing Ownager posted:

So, what is the most efficient way to get a working copy of Zero Hour online?

My friends and I have wanted to play this forever, even taken to reinstalling our CDs, but it's always one problem after another. I'll rebuy whatever I have to, I just want the easiest path from getting it -> being online.

Pretty sure it's part of a bundle on Origin.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mordja posted:

Pretty sure it's part of a bundle on Origin.

I have the Origin version but was under the impression that the multiplayer no longer worked without an extra program, and that modding it had different challenges to run Shockwave.

Was this is in error? If all I have to do is install my Origin version and patch this in, I'll be doing it tonight!

ED: If this is the case does this mean anyone running the disc version needs to rebuy the Origin version?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Goddamn Shockwave owns. Partially goon-made too, I'm not going to doxx anybody but I know for a fact that some of the creators still post here.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Just dropping by to say Generals was an ownage game and it's amazing to me that so many people shat all over it back when it was new.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
It would have got 99% less criticism if it had been called "Strategic Warfare Generals" or "RTS Action Generals" or something. Calling it "Command and Conquer" created expectations that weren't met.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bBubOqJxZs

Personally I was satisfied with this. I coulda swore there was a version of the intro that ended with "nuclear weapons" but I can't find it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yodzilla posted:

Just dropping by to say Generals was an ownage game and it's amazing to me that so many people shat all over it back when it was new.

Still the best RTS ever made IMO. gently caress StarCraft.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

Still the best RTS ever made IMO. gently caress StarCraft.

Mechnically I would say Starcraft is far superior to C&C. That being said, the C&C fanbase actually has fun with the game, as opposed to the SC2 fanbase which treat theirs like a cross between a religion and the most cutthroat business ever.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Goddamn the Laser General challenge is bashing my balls in so hard I'm pretty sure my dickhead is sticking out of my rear end in a top hat. Trying to play on Medium, mind you, not Hard, I'm not some RTS god of million APM micromanagement. Playing as Leang by the way. Anybody beat the Generals' Challenge in the latest Shockwave version?

(LOL like anybody else in the entire world still plays this game)

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Blazing Ownager posted:

I have the Origin version but was under the impression that the multiplayer no longer worked without an extra program, and that modding it had different challenges to run Shockwave.

Was this is in error? If all I have to do is install my Origin version and patch this in, I'll be doing it tonight!

ED: If this is the case does this mean anyone running the disc version needs to rebuy the Origin version?

no i'm playing on an old disc version i bought over a decade ago you just need to find a crack to get past the securom. it's in the OP

the shockwave package has an online multiplayer VPN thing. i think there's probably ways to do it without shockwave but shockwave is basically an expansion for zero hour so :shrug:

me and fruit chewy haven't been playing much but if more people are on im sure that will change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Backhand posted:

Mechnically I would say Starcraft is far superior to C&C. That being said, the C&C fanbase actually has fun with the game, as opposed to the SC2 fanbase which treat theirs like a cross between a religion and the most cutthroat business ever.

yeah this is why it's good because in this game losing is fun rather than a purely functional exercise in damage control

scuba school sucks posted:

Goddamn the Laser General challenge is bashing my balls in so hard I'm pretty sure my dickhead is sticking out of my rear end in a top hat. Trying to play on Medium, mind you, not Hard, I'm not some RTS god of million APM micromanagement. Playing as Leang by the way. Anybody beat the Generals' Challenge in the latest Shockwave version?

(LOL like anybody else in the entire world still plays this game)

the shockwave ai has been improved from base and there is a decent sized compstomp compunity online. so the AI is definitely tuned towards poopsockers who have been playing this game for the last ten years and also that on top of the fact that all RTS AI cheats hellas

• Locked thread