Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
It was discussed, and I believe the consensus was that most leagues would have two Otanis that you could draft. One for pitching, one for hitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

It was discussed, and I believe the consensus was that most leagues would have two Otanis that you could draft. One for pitching, one for hitting.

I see.

Can't wait for the first Otani for Otani trade.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Pandanaut posted:

I see.

Can't wait for the first Otani for Otani trade.

lol that would be awesome.

It was where I first learned that apparently back in the day there were two Gretzky's you could draft also. One for Goals, and one for Assists (he was too dominant otherwise.)

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

The thing is, if sites have two separate Otanis, then why not two versions of Bumgarner? Why not two of every pitcher? Which would be weird and clunky and pave the way for unscrupulous trade offers. I know I'd be nominating Clayton Kershaw (UT) in all my auction drafts. :v:

Same problem if fantasy sites let Otani accrue pitching and hitting stats at the same time. Why's he special? Shouldn't they do the same for every player? Which would lead to a bunch of empty stat columns since 99.99% of hitters will never pitch even once. That also means that every pitcher's hitting stats count. And who wants that? Who wants to have to think about if Darvish is a slightly better hitter than Scherzer? How tedious.

The Pussy Boss fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 15, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i'm pretty sure most sites count pitchers hitting stats

Otani is not going to be good enough to require a complete revision of fantasy sports

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Pussy Boss posted:

Why's he special?

Because he might end up being in the lineup on days he's not pitching

bewbies posted:

Yahoo and ESPN don't so no

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

Otani is not going to be good enough to require a complete revision of fantasy sports

I'm not sure about this. He hits 102 on his fastball, struck out like 11 per 9, and slugged over .600. In a league that's probably comparable to AAAA. A team may make him specialize, but it wouldn't surprise me if he pitches and then DHs the other 4 days.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I say he winds up on an AL team as just a pitcher, disappointing everyone

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Moneyball posted:

I say he winds up on an AL team as just a pitcher, disappointing everyone

He's not gonna sign with a team who won't let him hit, I'm pretty sure he's outright said that. And the IFA restrictions mean you can't just offer him another 20 mil to get over it.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Really? I'll believe it when it's all said and done, but please sign him, Rockies

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

He's not gonna sign with a team who won't let him hit, I'm pretty sure he's outright said that. And the IFA restrictions mean you can't just offer him another 20 mil to get over it.

I think I read that the Red Sox and Yankees have the most money they can offer.

Which is still loving pennies for his value. It's like $10m or something, when he's probably worth $15-20m a year.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I don't know how it would work for non-auction leagues, but why wouldn't you just be able to start him as a pitcher on certain days and as a hitter on other days if that is how he is going to be played. Of course that makes him more valuable but then his cost in an auction would account for that. Trout is valuable but the person that got him on my league spent like 25% of their payroll on him IIRC.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey thanks a lot, James Paxton.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
The Christian Yelich Paradox. Yelich is the #36 player in my league by total stats and one of my best player by that. But by average daily stats, he's #235 which means every day he should be one of the worst players to start. So arguably I should bench him every day, but he's near the top in overall stats for fantasy.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schweinhund posted:

The Christian Yelich Paradox. Yelich is the #36 player in my league by total stats and one of my best player by that. But by average daily stats, he's #235 which means every day he should be one of the worst players to start. So arguably I should bench him every day, but he's near the top in overall stats for fantasy.

He's the best worst player I've ever drafted.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Schweinhund posted:

Average daily stats has poo poo-tons of players with incredibly low amounts of playing time loving everything up

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Happy Sunday all, here's to your opponents' pitchers making GBS threads themselves on the mound.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That feel when you've dominated all week and your opponent is mounting a fierce comeback :cripes:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Couple nailbiters for me today. Quarterfinals in a pro league and semis in a goon league. In the Yahoo league it's my Brandon Woodruff and Dillon Peters against his Robert Stephenson, Kyle Gibson and Garrett Richards. Love it when 6 months of fantasy comes down to whose streamers pitch better :P

The Pussy Boss fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 17, 2017

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seriously gently caress Corey Kluber.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Rand alPaul posted:

Seriously gently caress Corey Kluber.

See I'm enjoying this, but let's all agree, seriously gently caress Josh Donaldson.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

fairly sure matt olson is the greatest to ever play

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Danny Salazar is going to start Thursday against the Angels.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Abel Wingnut posted:

fairly sure matt olson is the greatest to ever play

My opponent this week dropped him this morning and I swooped in. Thanks man.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Of course once I get eliminated from the finals my teams go apeshit and start playing out of their minds.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just want to thank the Nationals and MLB for playing a completely pointless game in the rain that took Bryce Harper out of the lineup for a full month.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Gonna shuffle my infield (Rizzo, Ramirez, Shaw) just to put him at second because I can

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Guy I'm going against this week has a loving murderer's row of a lineup... Gary Sanchez, Kemp, Judge, Stanton, Schebler, Bellinger, Donaldson, Healy, Cutch, Posey but his pitching is horrific. My hitters have still managed to outperform and am beating him in every catergory. My pitching staff is crushing him in every way and that is without a Kluber, Sale, or Greinke start yet.

Last weeks bye my staff put up a 1.2 ERA and .8 WHIP with 80+ Ks (and only like 2 Ws and 1 Save).

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Didi Gregorious and Nick Castellanos carried me to the semifinals in the $20 Goon League.

Sometimes I love fantasy baseball.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I am gonna totally overvalue Didi next year and I don't care at all.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I hate the Yankees, but he seems p. cool

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2017/09/20/255237394/didi-gregorius-apologized-to-jason-castro-after-his-bat-accidentally-taps-him

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I remember when the Dbacks traded for Didi and he was a "glove only SS" but he had such an awesome name I hoped he would be awesome.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Is there a Jon Lester support zone?

Fuuuuuck!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Is there a Jon Lester support zone?

Fuuuuuck!

:(:hf::(

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pretty sure James Paxton isn't healthy, not sure why Seattle keeps starting him and ruining my buzz :(

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
In my 10-team league, I made it so the top-8 teams make the playoffs. My buddy finished 7th, bounced me out of the playoffs, and now looks poised to go to the final. His pitching has decided to never allow a run again.

H2H is annoying sometimes.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

There was a saying about pitching I heard in this thread, something something pitching. What was it, again?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I believe "gently caress pitching" is what you're looking for.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
Man, there is nothing quite like having to go head to head with someone who wakes up at 3 am to scoop up the top streamers.

Now I have to somehow beat the mega team in our league. Oh well - I'll take a championship berth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I'm headed to 3 championships out of 5 leagues and one 3rd place game. I'll take it.

• Locked thread