Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

I need to drop someone for Pollock (for the 10-15 games before Pollock inevitably injures himself again, anyway.)

Right on loving cue. :lol:

He didn't even last the 10 games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I called someone in my league a taco, and now I'm getting blown out by him. :sigh:

My team is so good and yet just can't put it together to turn it into victories.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I own zero shares of Springer so I haven't really kept close tabs, but wasn't he supposed to be a threat to steal bases too? I remember reading all about his prodigious power/speed combination, but he has 0 SB this year?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
gently caress this season.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
AJ Pollock getting hurt has really dicked me over for steals is the most predictable thing about AJ Pollock.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I just randomly checked my counting stats for the season in a 12 team league. I have comparable stats to the league leader, yet I'm 23 games back and in 11th place.

H2H ya'll. :dance:

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

I went to check and update my fantasy teams this morning and got sad

Me, but every day this year.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
You know, I was going to just list how badly my team is underperforming and how unlucky I've been (which are both true), but then I went and looked at my draft and... you're right. I did draft too much pitching, and I missed on just about all of them:

Keeping Porcello was a bad decision, Oh has been bad, Glasnow, Ross, and Snell have all been really bad (and have all been dropped), Ottavino and Madson :barf:

This whole draft is poo poo, possibly excluding Colome and Iglesias. (I'd say Thames also, but then I dropped him two weeks in.) Shameful.

e: Yeah, on April 9th. For Brandon McCarthy. A harbringer of the season ahead...
VVVVVV

SouthShoreSamurai fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 12, 2017

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

I really want one (or more) of your closers and have no idea what to offer, it sucks :(

You have more than 10 keepers, it looks like. I'd start with one of those. :D

You were looking to move Reyes earlier this year, there could be something there that works too.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I have never understood the Yelich appeal. Doesn't hit for much power and is ok for SB and avg. There's a million other OF's like him on waivers, I just don't get his ADP.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Schweinhund posted:

Now Yelich is in the top 50 because of his last 3 games.

He's at 78 in my league, with a pre-season rank of 52.

That's still pretty funny, though. I've got a talent for that.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Abel Wingnut posted:

yo, don't drop super talented guys. ever. no matter how bad they're doing. they can easily put it together and go insane.

like right now, don't drop xander or berrios or schwarber or buxton or any number of guys.

What has Buxton done to deserve this kind of statement? Maybe in dynasty leagues, but only in the very deepest. We have a 10 player keeper league and I wouldn't keep Buxton.

Bogaerts is such a mystery. Dude is incredibly talented, he should be putting up better numbers than he is. I don't know what to make of him.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Discussion for Keon Broxton:

Go.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I have one of the stranger keeper decisions I've ever had in fantasy sports. I have to whittle this list down to 10:

(My only pitching keepers would likely be Lester and Alex Reyes)

Abreu, Bryant, Segura, Bellinger, and Pollock are all slam dunk easy ones.

I spent a waiver on Odor, because a 2B that hits 30 hr has got to be valuable, right? Even with a sub .700 OPS? I don't even know how that's possible, but I can't imagine that happening again next year? Could it?

I also traded for Santana, who I think has a ton of upside and has shown he's mostly figured it out? Or just a one-year flash?

Cruz is older than dirt but still hitting bombs?

Broxton could go 25/40, or he could be in the minors?

Is David Dahl or Michael Taylor for real?

Is Eric Thames for real?

Is CarGo well and truly dead?

e: This is an OPS league where there is no penalty for keepers. They are your first 10 picks.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Abel Wingnut posted:

abreu, bryant, cruz, thames, santana, bellinger, pollock, dahl, broxton, reyes

odor got figured out, taylor is still a mystery though i'm intrigued, lester's velocity is down, flowers who knows, segura's power isn't enough, gonzalez is done and will likely be out of colorado next year, polanco i can't figure out so i just avoid

Good read.

Disagree on Odor. I haven't delved too deep, but something about that power potential just draws me in.

Same on Taylor. Good to know about Lester. Maybe he's not as safe to keep as I thought, but goddamn keeping 1 pitcher (coming off TJS at that) would be scary/hilarious. Flowers was a total stopgap, not considered for keeping. Segura's power... poo poo. You're probably right about that.

Same same same about Polanco. Could be 20/25, could be 10/15 and just be meh.

This is what I mean. I am utterly stuffed with guys with so much potential, but which ones to keeeeeeeep...

e: Out of curiosity, why Dahl? And would you keep him over Thames?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Yeah there's no cost. You must keep 10 players, and they are your first 10 picks of the draft. It's dynasty-lite.

I grabbed Villar in case he did show signs of turning it around, but uh... he's not.

With Pollock, Broxton, and Segura (potentially), the team would have a huge amount of speed. Even Bellinger is fast (reportedly the fastest player on the Dodgers?)

One other wrinkle, I'm almost certainly going to finish in 2nd to last this year. Which means that I would have 2nd pick in the draft, so it's almost being able to keep 11.

Oh right. Well likely a high pick in any event. Though the way my luck has been this season, I'll likely land the 12th pick. :D
VVVVVVV

SouthShoreSamurai fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 8, 2017

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
It's me. I'm the guy that drafted Tom Murphy and held onto him for 4 months so he could bat .050 with 1 run.

My god what a hilariously hideous year I had.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
KBrox with 2 more HR tonight. He will likely hit 20/20 this year.

If he can avoid the 0 for 50 streak next year, he could be really valuable.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's the silver lining to my awful season.

In the last couple days I've traded Nelson Cruz for a 1st and 2nd round pick (11th and 12th really, since we keep 10), and now Lester for a 2nd and a waiver swap.

I still have 12-13 potential keepers, but now I have 3 extra picks and I moved up 6 spots in waivers. I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

I missed out on picking up Gallo by like literally two hours :(

I picked him up fully intending to keep him forever. I don't even remember why I dropped him, except that I'm really bad this year.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Buxton appears to be coming around. He's been great the last few weeks.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Schweinhund posted:

I have so many great potential keepers but I can only keep 4. Gallo should hit 40 HRs as a 23 year old and I'll have to drop him.

Harper
Correa
Bellinger
G Sanchez
Gallo
Bregman
Buxton
Merrifeld

Wow, that's something. Who are you going to keep?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

oh god I just actually looked at my possible keepers and I have like 16 (out of ten) I want to keep

there's a guy looking to "get younger" so maybe I can swing a two or three for one with him

:ohdear::hf::ohdear: Samesies. I think I have to wait and see how ADP pans out next year. There's literally 16-17 guys I want to keep also.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

coronaball posted:

Do you guys lock the eliminated teams once playoffs start? That's what I do in football. I've never commissioned a baseball league before.

In redraft maybe, but if you locked my dynasty team right when prospect callups were coming I would quit that league.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Isn't he seeing Dr. Andrews?

RIP

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Aside from him being awesome, is there something he did lately to make you say that?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Crawford got called up too.

Not on the same level as Robles, but someone for a bad team to stash.

Also, Matt Olson has been tearing the cover off the ball. He's been considered a fringe prospect for contact issues, but the A's traded Alonso in the middle of a career year to make room for him, and he's hit like 400 home runs in the last month.

SouthShoreSamurai fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 7, 2017

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Willie Calhoun was called up today. Definitely worth a stash in keeper leagues.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
It was discussed, and I believe the consensus was that most leagues would have two Otanis that you could draft. One for pitching, one for hitting.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Pandanaut posted:

I see.

Can't wait for the first Otani for Otani trade.

lol that would be awesome.

It was where I first learned that apparently back in the day there were two Gretzky's you could draft also. One for Goals, and one for Assists (he was too dominant otherwise.)

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

i'm pretty sure most sites count pitchers hitting stats

Otani is not going to be good enough to require a complete revision of fantasy sports

I'm not sure about this. He hits 102 on his fastball, struck out like 11 per 9, and slugged over .600. In a league that's probably comparable to AAAA. A team may make him specialize, but it wouldn't surprise me if he pitches and then DHs the other 4 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

He's not gonna sign with a team who won't let him hit, I'm pretty sure he's outright said that. And the IFA restrictions mean you can't just offer him another 20 mil to get over it.

I think I read that the Red Sox and Yankees have the most money they can offer.

Which is still loving pennies for his value. It's like $10m or something, when he's probably worth $15-20m a year.

• Locked thread