Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I just want to take this moment to re-live last year's season, where I put together the most dominant team ever to be seen in a 12 team NON-keeper league:

C- Lucroy
1B - Votto
2b - Odor
3B - Arenado
SS - Bregman(Story IR)
OF - Blackmon
OF - Cruz
OF - J. Upton
UTIL - Miggy
UTIL - Abreu

SP - Lester
SP - Darvish
SP - Hamels
SP - Fernandez (RIP)
SP - Hernandez
SP - C. Martinez
SP - McCullers
SP - *Streamer*
RP - Aaron Sanchez
RP - K-Rod
RP - Rondon

Flags fly forever gentlemen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Your Taint posted:

We're you playing against 11 other people who literally had never seen a baseball game before?

I'd say a good half of them are decent fantasy players, we have a revolving door of 1-3 people who are really bad and then a handful who at least change their teams around every day.

We do an auction draft which is the source of my success in this league. Everyone gets caught up in the moment really bad in our drafts, there is one guy who will basically blow his whole load on 3-5 players and then get $1 players to fill his team. Naturally, Trout/Kershaw come up first and this guy sets the stage by paying like $97 for Kershaw, then $90+ for Harper, etc. Everyone sees that and by the time pick #5 or 6 comes around people are going 'Oh poo poo, I need to pay $80+ for Paul Goldschmidt.

Tiering is everything in these types of drafts, knowing exactly how many 'elite' 1B or OF are left while everyone is blowing their loads, knowing exactly how long you can afford to stay out of the mix.

My most expensive player was Joey Votto at $46 last year(he was the last 'top tier' 1B available), then I had a slew of $15-30 players that I muscled everyone else out of, it was great. Votto was pick 37(everyone else had someone by pick 23) and my first pick of the draft. Here's how many players I drafted in the first 100 picks compared to other teams.

Me:
team 1: 12
team 2: 7
team 3: 7
team 4: 4
team 5: 8
team 6: 10
team 7: 8
team 8: 6
team 9: 12 (other top player, but he drafted Fielder, Frazier, Pujols, Schwarber last year, ouch. )
team 10: 5
team 11: 8
team 12: 10

It was basically like I got an extra 5 picks in rounds 3-8, which gave me a really deep team. I was essentially done drafting my team by round 13 out of 22. Then I just found a few good trade targets(one guy drafted Donaldson/Arenado but had no 2B, so convinced him to part with Arenado).

I missed out on god-tier talent, but had plenty of near top talent and way more depth than anyone else. This doesn't always work, sometimes if you wait too long then you get screwed by missing out on a few cornerstone players. The other risk is that when you are sitting on a big pile of money, people will bid you up on players even if they can't afford them(thinking you will go as high as it takes to get someone). People tried this on me but I dumped a few players on some of those teams and totally paralyzed them for the rest of the draft. Then just laughed as no one could bid more than $15 for Jose Fernandez, $14 for Lester, $9 for C. Mart, $5 for Hamels, $15 for Stroman, etc. I'd gladly take $14 for Lester when Sale goes for $74, or Gerrit Cole goes for $40. Sometimes it works out and you get some absolute bargains, other times you wait until there's only one good 3B left and overpay for the 6th best 3B in the league.

This year everyone will remember what I did last time, so I'll likely turn the table. Lock in some rock solid offensive players immediately and then be patient and draft for value in the much later rounds.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

mentholmoose posted:

I guess this 10-team H2H keeper league I'm in is actually happening. We got a new commish who changed the keeper rules and I get to keep Nolan Arenado in the 15th round for basically his entire career. Also I guess I'm keeping Lindor in the 24th as well, because drat.

As for the third keeper, I could keep Syndergaard in the 25th round (which is probably what I'm going to do), or go with one of Dozier in the 6th or Yelich in the 16th.

Any thoughts?

Syndergaard for sure IMO. Maybe it's because I'm a Twins fan, but I don't see Dozier hitting 40 bombs again. But who knows, maybe Pedroia will surprise retire and they will trade him to the Red Sox and he'll hit 50 HRs over the monster.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Kershaw at 7 in a points league is a great result for your. I'd take him at 7 over Bryant, EE, Altuve or whoever was at the top of the board at that point.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Moneyball posted:

Outside of Kershaw, I think the first player who came to mind as a buy in a points league is Carlos Santana. The terrible average he routinely puts up drops him to the mid-rounds in normal leagues, but the power numbers and massive amount of walks really boosts him up in points leagues. Take a look at projected season points, and I'm willing to bet he compares to players ranked a few rounds higher. I think he'll put up more points than any of your hitters except Votto and maybe Beltre.
If you got him where he's ranked in a normal league, you got a good deal and I'd hang on to him if I were you.

As long as your league counts walks. It's a great point though, my league counts BBs as +1 and Ks as -1, which makes player valuation different than a lot of leagues. For instance, Chris Davis and his 40 HRs is great, except for the -130 points your getting on his K/BB difference. Someone like Santana/Votto can put up more modest power numbers and still come out on top as he only had a -7 in that category.

• Locked thread