Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
My league is the opposite in that EVERYONE drafts pitching and then just streams off of their bench. There is almost never a decent pitcher available to pick up. But on the other hand, you can usually find a serviceable hitter no problem since most people only have like 1 or 2 bench bats at the most.

And now that I'm thinking about my roster, I'm once again bummed about losing my best keeper Jose Fernandez :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I could use some keeper advice. My league is a 12 team H2H points league, and we do an auction draft with a $260 budget. I have to keep at least 5 players but no more than 9, here's what I'm looking at:

Todd Frazier - $20
Jonathan Villar - $10
Gregory Polanco - $5
Ben Zobrist - $9
Adam Eaton - $2
Nomar Mazara - $10
Shin Soo Choo - $10
Joey Gallo - $10
Joe Panik - $6
Bartolo Colon - $1
Lance McCullers - $2
Jon Lester - $23
Michael Pineda - $12
Zack Wheeler - $5

Right now I'm set on keeping Lester, Villar, Polanco, Zobrist, McCullers, and Eaton.

I'm not sure if the other guys are worth their prices though. I like Frazier, but I don't know if $20 is worth paying for him. For some reason I'm not very high on Mazara this year, but would he be worth $10? And I'm pretty sure if I want Gallo I can draft him for a cheaper price. I don't even know what to think of Wheeler, $5 is a reasonable price for his upside but I'm not confident that he'll stay healthy. I wasn't planning on keeping Panik but I don't think $6 is a terrible price for him. I might keep Pineda for $12 as well because I think he might have a decent year, and after the draft it's hard to find decent pitching on the wire.

And all I need is someone to tell me that Bartolo can keep it up for one more year for me to pull the trigger on keeping him for a dollar.

Also, my league has one roster slot for a minors player, are there any specific major league ready prospects I should be looking at to fill that spot? Any advice given will be appreciated.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

God help me I just joined a 12-teamer H2H league with my brother and his friends with a $225 buy in.

Panik and Pineda might be worth holding on to, but what pitching stats does the league track?

I was leaning towards keeping Zobrist over Panik since Zobrist has OF eligibility as well and is more likely to stay healthy. I'm 50/50 on keeping Pineda, I think he's just as likely to put it all together this year as he is to be a total disaster. Pitchers in my league get points for QS, K, IP, and a penalty for H, BB, ER. In my league Pineda will probably be a slightly above average pitcher if he stays healthy, I'll probably end up keeping him and regretting it later, but I've made worse decisions in the past.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Schweinhund posted:

Panik is listed at $0 on Yahoo. You can just draft him if you want him, you don't have to spend $5 and waste a keeper spot. He might go undrafted. Same with Pineda, he's listed at $1.

I think it's dumb to go off of what auction values are listed at, they're always lower than what they go for in the draft. Panik might go undrafted but I'm keeping Pineda at $12, which is probably more than he's worth but I doubt he'd go for less than $8 or $9 in the draft.

quote:

this is 100% not true. Starting pitching is the easiest position to fill.
Well no, not in my league. Some people might have one or two bench bats, but for the most part everyone will fill all their bench spots with pitchers. The best pitchers available post draft will probably be players like Matt Cain or Mike Pelfrey, and I'll make a trade before I rely on them if my pitchers get hurt.

Inspector_666 posted:

I wouldn't hold on to Pineda given those pitching stats.

Well I did, and after sleeping on it I think you're right. But last night was our keeper deadline so I can't change it now. Hopefully Pineda will have a good year or at least have a good enough April for me to trade him for something of value. I'm sure this decision wont haunt me forever.

Thanks for the advice though guys.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I had a 4th hitter keeper slot open in the off-season and traded like a 15th round pick for him at the keeper deadline and I'm rock hard about it

I thought about keeping him for $10 but decided against it. I ended up snagging him in the draft for $1 and I'm rock hard about it.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I just got offered Keon Broxton for my Sean Manaea. I honestly don't know much about Broxton and I don't really need him, but for keeper value alone I should accept that right?

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Wheeler is probably worth starting on a two start week, right? I'd have to bench one of Cole, McCullers, Pineda, or Colome to work him in. Leaning towards either benching Colome or leaving Wheeler on the bench since I like the matchups of the others. It's a points league so benching a closer wouldn't be a big deal for me.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
As a Villar owner I personally would consider any offer I got for him. I'm starting to think last year was a fluke and he's just not that good.

E: I'm thinking about trading Villar and just starting Baez every week. He seems to be hitting enough, even though he's not getting consistent playing time.

Jingleheimer fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 6, 2017

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I've been offered a trade and I'm not sure how I feel about it. This is a 12 team H2H points league.

Give: Jon Lester, Lance McCullers

Get: Wil Myers, Addison Reed, Tyson Ross, and Lance Lynn

Here's my team for reference:

C: Mike Zunino
1B: Joey Votto
2B: Chris Taylor
3B: Jonathan Villar
SS: Francisco Lindor
OF: Keon Broxton
OF: Ender Inciarte
OF: Nomar Mazara
DH: Gregory Polanco

P: Jon Lester, Lance McCullers, Zach Britton, Ivan Nova, Stephen Strasburg, Zack Wheeler, Jacob deGrom, Gerrit Cole, Alex Colome, Mike Montgomery, Keone Kela, and a soon to be dropped Michael Pineda

Bench: Javy Baez, Ryon Healy, Ian Happ, Ben Zobrist, Avisail Garcia, Yoan Moncada

My biggest need is pitching depth. And I do need a hitting upgrade, but I have Votto and don't really need Myers but I guess he could take my DH slot. I rejected the deal but he's still trying to make it work. Would it be worth it if I can get him to include a different pitcher than Reed since he's probably going to lose his closing job? This is also a keeper league, but I don't think I would keep any of the guys offered to me. I'm currently in 3rd place and probably won't get far in the playoffs as my team is right now, but this is the 1st place team offering me the trade and his team will be just too good if I make the trade. I should probably see what I can get for my keepers from the teams out of the playoffs, but nobody makes good trades in this league and this is by far the best offer I've gotten all year.

Still leaning towards not making the deal but I'd like to hear another opinion or two.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Yeah, I've been talking to another guy about Donaldson, I think I can get him straight up for either Lester or deGrom. I would still need more pitchers though. I really need to try getting rid of my bench bats for a couple of pitchers. The FA pool isn't much of an option either, unless I want Matt Garza or Ubaldo Jimenez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Oh, a trade just happened in my league, let's see what it is....

Jose Altuve and Brandon Kintzler for Rick Porcello and Dee Gordon

And of those 4 players only Kintzler is eligible to be kept. Is he even a closer anymore since he got traded? Relievers are useless in my league unless they can get saves.

• Locked thread