Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
1. (6) Bryce Harper (Was - OF) $40
2. (7) Kenley Jansen (LAD - RP) $19
3. (17) Carlos Correa (Hou - SS) $34
4. (20) George Springer (Hou - OF) $29
5. (34) Freddie Freeman (Atl - 1B) $28
6. (48) Rougned Odor (Tex - 2B) $26
7. (62) Carlos Carrasco (Cle - SP) $22
8. (76) Mark Trumbo (Bal - OF) $15
9. (84) Masahiro Tanaka (NYY - SP) $17
10. (90) Mark Melancon (SF - RP) $14
11. (160) Marcus Semien (Oak - SS) $1
12. (175) Ryon Healy (Oak - 3B) $4
13. (202) Chris Carter (NYY - 1B) $1
14. (216) Tom Murphy (Col - C) $1
15. (255) Adam Conley (Mia - SP) $1
16. (266) Mike Montgomery (ChC - SP,RP) $1
17. (277) Zack Wheeler (NYM - SP) $1
18. (288) Mike Foltynewicz (Atl - SP) $1
19. (297) Blake Treinen (Was - RP) $1
20. (304) Matt Bush (Tex - RP) $1
21. (309) Will Harris (Hou - RP) $1
22. (313) Michael Wacha (StL - SP) $1
23. (316) Francisco Liriano (Tor - SP) $1

This draft was largely a failure in my eyes. I wasn't planning on drafting a stars and scrubs team, yet here we are. I also tried to adopt IcePhoenix's strategy of focusing solely on relievers, but then didn't have enough money to actually follow through with that plan. The only plus side is that I have no attachments to half of my roster, so I probably won't keep a player if they perform poorly, whereas I typically don't start dropping guys until at least May.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Doghouse posted:

This is a pretty good core imo. Lots of risk but tons of upside.

This is basically my fantasy drafting M.O. I am picking up a few guys with the potential to be first-round picks next year. If Correa and Harper have the year people were expecting last year, then I am golden.

I even drafted Harper for crazy money last year, so I am not sure why I am going to that well again. My love for Harper knows no bounds, apparently.

IcePhoenix posted:

I actually went a bit overboard on the relievers because I was saving money for them and suddenly there were no hitters because nobody was nominating the relievers (whereas last year a bunch went in the middle of the draft). So uh, if you're in this league I'll trade one or two for a hitting upgrade :v:

I am in the league. After I drafted Melancon, I realized I only had, like, 15 dollars to spend on 11 players. I didn't really think your strategy through, mostly because I was too caught him picking guys at the top of the draft that I really really wanted.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I drafted in my 10-team league today. 5x5 only we count OBP over AVG.

1. (2) Paul Goldschmidt (Ari - 1B)
2. (19) George Springer (Hou - OF)
3. (22) Trea Turner (Was - 2B,OF)
4. (39) Giancarlo Stanton (Mia - OF)
5. (42) Jonathan Villar (Mil - 2B,3B,SS)
6. (59) Carlos Carrasco (Cle - SP)
7. (62) Carlos Martínez (StL - SP)
8. (79) Mark Melancon (SF - RP)
9. (82) Anthony Rendón (Was - 3B)
10. (99) Jackie Bradley Jr. (Bos - OF)
11. (102) Kenta Maeda (LAD - SP)
12. (119) Jeurys Familia (NYM - RP)
13. (122) Marcus Stroman (Tor - SP)
14. (139) A.J. Ramos (Mia - RP)
15. (142) Dellin Betances (NYY - RP)
16. (159) Aaron Nola (Phi - SP)
17. (162) Russell Martin (Tor - C)
18. (179) Devon Travis (Tor - 2B)
19. (182) Cam Bedrosian (LAA - RP)
20. (199) Taijuan Walker (Ari - SP)
21. (202) Michael Pineda (NYY - SP)
22. (219) Jake Odorizzi (TB - SP)
23. (222) Joe Ross (Was - SP)

I am not really sure how I feel about the Turner/Stanton/Villar picks. They are three guys I wasn't targeting, but I think could make or break this team. I also went with the "throw as many pitchers at the wall and see what sticks" strategy.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 28, 2017

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Teemu Pokemon posted:

10 team league, like every counting stat is a category but the averages/era/ratios aren't because the commissioner is kinda softheaded :confused: start a lineup with 2 UT and specific OF designations and 4 SP, 2 RP, 2 P

But my team is good enough whatever...look at this monstrosity

1. (3) Mookie Betts (Bos - RF)
2. (18) Jonathan Lucroy (Tex - C,1B)
3. (23) Todd Frazier (CWS - 1B,3B)
4. (38) Curtis Granderson (NYM - LF,CF,RF)
5. (43) DJ LeMahieu (Col - 2B)
6. (58) Tyler Saladino (CWS - 2B,3B,SS)
7. (63) Brandon Crawford (SF - SS)
8. (78) Dexter Fowler (StL - CF)
9. (83) Carlos Santana (Cle - 1B)
10. (98) Alcides Escobar (KC - SS)
11. (103) Adrián González (LAD - 1B)
12. (118) Dan Straily (Mia - SP)
13. (123) Dallas Keuchel (Hou - SP)
14. (138) Ervin Santana (Min - SP)
15. (143) Dylan Bundy (Bal - SP,RP)
16. (158) Andrew Triggs (Oak - SP,RP)
17. (163) Adam Wainwright (StL - SP)
18. (178) Anibal Sánchez (Det - SP,RP)
19. (183) Asdrubal Cabrera (NYM - SS)
20. (198) Austin Hedges (SD - C)
21. (203) Jerad Eickhoff (Phi - SP)
22. (218) Cameron Maybin (LAA - CF)
23. (223) Carlos Beltrán (Hou - RF)
24. (238) Keon Broxton (Mil - CF)
25. (243) Brett Gardner (NYY - LF)

:holymoley:

What the hell is this thing?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I have no idea!! Performance art? Live chronicling of a stroke? I was cackling maniacally the entire time and I'll feel bad if it turns out someone was dying

It reminds me a Goon fantasy hockey league a long time ago where one dude started overhauling his roster and making outlandish deals for Leafs players. Like, he essentially was trying to troll the league by offering all his good players for crappy Leafs players.

Dude was kicked out of the league quickly.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I'd go with Liriano, but only because I am a Blue Jays fan and only believe in Spring Training stats when they support my beliefs. A 14.5 K/9 and a 4.83 K/BB? Sure, I believe that will translate into the regular season.

Is this the thread where I post about wanting to drop Tanaka and how I think Martinez is going to be a Cy Young winner?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Is it too early for me to start trying to build a trade centered around my Goldschmidt for his Harper?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Fantasy baseball hurts when you are in two leagues, only because this week I own Freeman & Harper in one, and my opponent in the other league owns both, as well. Their success is also my downfall.

Spoeank posted:

I sent a blanket offer to my league for the worst player on their roster for Jose Bautista.

I'm so sick of Jose Bautista.

I'd probably bite on trading for Bautista, if only because he's my favourite player.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am pretty darn close to just dropping Maeda.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Is CarGo droppable at this point? We're past the point of "cold streak." It's been 112 ABs. That's nearly a quarter of the season he's been utterly putrid.

This reminds me of how I rostered Justin Upton until, like, loving August last year, and then he went off in September.

I just looked it up, and I dropped him on August 22nd. He hit 16 home runs in his remaining 36 games, and went .297/.392/.727. This has nothing to do with CarGo, but I guess you just never know with players.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Two really ugly starts from Adam Conley in the past three games. I'm not sure what to do with this guy, but my finger is hovering around the drop button.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Even with Maeda's 8.1 IP 2.16 ERA performance, I finished with a 9.00 ERA in 10IP thanks to Benoit and Familia's disasters.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Early in the week, I had a surplus of closers, and was trying to pry McCullers from a dude. Now, both Melancon and Familia went down (with Bedrosian still on the DL), and I am trying to get Jansen off another person.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Abel Wingnut posted:

pick up berrios

Even though I was burned last year, I came back and am happy that I did.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

Pitchers are dying left and right.

I'd rather have them die if having them live means I get to witness the horror of Tanaka, Griffin, and Musgrove destroy my ratios.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Combo posted:

Yahoo standard h2h league, my Holland for his Berrios, I feel like I should do that, right?

My only other closer is Knebel who I can swing for a small piece and just completely punt saves. I've gotten zero from the both of them this week.

I really wanna sell hard on Holland because while he's done well before, I am skeptical of his continued success in Colorado with a 521 ERA+. Haven't really looked at the underlying stats, and while he's been great in the past, he's just someone I don't get a good feeling from. I say this as an owner of him in both of my leagues.

Berrios has been spectacular, and while memories of last year are still present, they are fading with every good start. I am actually pretty high on him, but I am also a sucker for young, promising players.

So, yes, I do that deal. Especially if you think you can punt saves.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

bewbies posted:

alright i'm done with tanaka, sorry

If my waiver wire wasn't a wasteland, I would have dropped him after last night's game. Instead, he'll just ride the bench.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I hope those people who were wanting to drop Jackie Bradley Jr. a month ago didn't end up dropping him.

I held onto him on my bench, and have been rewarded!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I rode that Wainwright high too hard and now I having a horrible comedown.

Also, Villar is the type of player I try and avoid at the draft, and I still drafted him and now I feel like I can't drop him because of his stolen base numbers.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I just traded Carrasco for Miggy.

Oh god, I am really betting on Miggy's power coming back.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Spoeank posted:

Miggy is one of the league leaders in xwOBA so thats a decent bet

Just read about this stat. This makes me feel better. I took a quick glance at his Fangraphs page, and from my amateur eyes, other than a lower LD% (which, truth be told, I am unsure how it affects counting stats), I didn't see anything terribly amiss.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am in a 10-team OBP league and Odor was just dropped. He's an instant pick-up, right? The only few players I'd be willing to drop are Jackie Bradley Jr. or Suarez. I am leaning towards the latter because I haven't had the room to play him for the last few weeks.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

I am in a 10-team OBP league and Odor was just dropped. He's an instant pick-up, right? The only few players I'd be willing to drop are Jackie Bradley Jr. or Suarez. I am leaning towards the latter because I haven't had the room to play him for the last few weeks.

I am set to add Odor tomorrow and drop Suarez, if no one else below me on the waiver priority list tries to pick him up instead.

Also, because no one really talks about him, I am really happy that I nabbed Goldschmidt with the second pick this year. I had the choice between him, Betts, or Bryant, although I would have been happy with any one of those three picks. I just don't think Goldschmidt gets enough appreciation.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I hate that I drafted Villar. He's the type of player I tend to avoid on draft day, but it was in the fifth round and his steals looked appealing. I was set to drop him, and then Turner went down. I don't know why I continue to roster him. As I write out this post, I realize I'll drop him tomorrow.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Schweinhund posted:

Maybe I'm dumb but I would still love to have Villar. I'm a sucker for power + speed. Try to trade him to someone who needs steals.

It'd be a tough sell, I think. He only has 15 steals on the season, and then you have to roster his .208/.276/.349. He's basically a much worse Billy Hamilton, because at least Hamilton has 34 steals.

It's July, too. However, I did drop Justin Upton in August last year and then he tore up the league, so maybe there is hope for Villar going forward.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I tried throwing Villar in a deal I was making (my Springer for his Cano/Jansen), because he said he needed a 2B. He rejected the deal, and a week later, came back to agree to the same deal. However, he didn't even want Villar as a part of the package.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

bewbies posted:

bewbies, the morning of July 14: "hey, Jon Gray looks like a good streaming matchup!"

me, late last week: "oh boy, Jon Gray is still on the waiver wire. Those fools!"

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Abel Wingnut posted:

gray is good and one real bad start doesn't change that

I humbly disagree.

Also, I can safely drop Berrios in a 10-team league, right? He's not awful, but he hasn't been exactly electric over his past 4 games. I know, I know, small sample size, but again, I am in a 10-team league.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

My gimmick team finally lost a week the dream is dead :(

One year, I will finally be able to replicate your gimmick team. I failed miserably this year.

Well, maybe not miserably, I am still in third place.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I drafted Stanton in the fourth round (in a 10-team league. So really, the third round), and I made the joke about having to fill my IR spot.

Of course, having now told you all, Stanton will be injured any day now.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

coronaball posted:

God help me, I want to drop Miguel Cabrera.

I'd rather they just Dl'd him for a month and he came back rested and healed for the back end of the fantasy playoffs.

Me too, buddy. He's riding the bench, but even that feels generous for how he's been doing.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Stanton went 39th overall in my draft, but I also nabbed Villar with the 42nd pick, so I didn't win them all.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Doltos posted:

loving. Unbelievable.

lol this is beautiful.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

spanky69 posted:

This is the point of the season I am glad I am in rotisserie and not H2H as I sit atop my big money league with a 31 point lead over the 2nd place team with 138 of a possible 160 points.

This is the part of the year where I hate H2H, because even though I am the top team in the league, one bad week could make that mean nothing.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I made the playoffs in both leagues that I am in but both of my teams are also slumping pretty heavily. I do not expect the playoffs to last long.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

In my 10-team league, I made it so the top-8 teams make the playoffs. My buddy finished 7th, bounced me out of the playoffs, and now looks poised to go to the final. His pitching has decided to never allow a run again.

H2H is annoying sometimes.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Pandanaut posted:

In other news Miggy Cabs has two herniated discs in his back.

That explains a lot.

Ugh, I traded Carrasco for him in May when it appeared as if his power would come back. He became unrosterable in the second half. One of the worst trades I have ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I went hard after the 5th place in my league this week, and my team couldn't even do that for me. Again, I was in first place for the majority of the second half of the year, and then my team just went south in the final week and playoffs. My offense consists of Goldschmidt, Stanton, Rendon, and Turner, and I still couldn't win most offense categories.

• Locked thread