Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

atomicgeek posted:

Malaria was a huge problem in the southeastern US until WW2, when a tremendous amount of resources and DDT were thrown at it. So yeah, we're gonna get wrecked, not just by climate change but also by breakdowns in public spending on mosquito control, which has been ongoing ever since. The CDC has some info about the drive to finally eliminate malaria here.

The narrative is already super obvious, too. "lol Whiny snowflake libs want to try to get rid of MOSQUITOS now? What, can't handle a few bug bites?? There are millions of them, that's like trying to get rid of flies! It's just throwing money away!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Power Khan posted:

- A decades long war on critical thinking skills, education and expertise.
- Billionaire and corporate funded propaganda. It works.
- Religion. Weird rear end religious cults.
- Corporations loving over everyone except their shareholders, but no, it's brown people that took your jobs and shipped off the factory to china. Lol, globalization.
- It's Fascism? Always has been.

I feel like the propaganda is the big one there. Just shift every narrative exactly how it best suits you, and radicalized from there forward, and this is what we wind up with.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Thundercracker posted:

My biggest wtf is that Trump got a cult. Trump?! Hitler makes sense. Stalin makes sense. Putin makes sense. They're all dangerous ruthless strongmen. But Donnny loving Good rains?

He's spent his entire life billing himself as the ideal rich businessman. Idiots who want to be the ideal rich businessman look up to him as perfection.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

Trump runs the country exact;y as he's run every business he's been in.

Into the loving ground.

I think about these Trump voters from time to time and wonder what they like about him. He "tells it like it is". He's a business man. He shoots straight. He's not politically correct. He's rich so he is America. But, you know, if someone like DJT were their boss or their manager or supervisor at work, they'd hate his loving guts and wish he would get fired. They wouldn't sit around the Thanksgiving table extolling his virtues and how we need someone like Donald from middle management to get promoted and straighten this company the gently caress out.

Maybe some of the ones who kissed enough rear end to work their way into a weekend golf outing or curry favor somehow might "like him" since they feel like they've managed to step on top of a few coworkers, but by and large the vast majority of wage earners and grunts (the people that vote for people like Trump and Bush) who do the work, come in early and leave late, work weekends and get blamed for everything would HATE this motherfucker. When he called a company meeting to call us all losers and talk poo poo in empty platitudes about all the big ideas he had and all the new policies about he was going to eliminate flexible scheduling and elastic lunches and break times, they wouldn't cheer "USA USA" when he was talking.

They'd sit there, nod in agreement and shut up and then go to their work stations, bitch among one another about what an unsufferable rear end in a top hat he was and totally say they were gonna go get a new job at Shitco. They'd also probably bitch FAR MORE about their coworkers. And there's the thing. Who takes more bathroom breaks? Who was 5 minutes late for lunch? Who called out sick last week and couldn't come in Saturday because they had their kid or work a second job? Who's on their phone all the time? Who produced 9 widgets and hour when you did 10? I've seen it. Someone they hate cracks down with New Rules and 90% of the workforce turns on each other. They's slit each other's throats, suck up to management and sell each other out for a 25 cent raise.

Then they die on a cross for someone exactly like the person who makes them miserable 40 hours a week and who works fewer hours than they do because MAYBE they dangle and lord health care coverage over them

Stockholm Syndrome I guess?

They love him because they all want to be him, and imagine themselves as him. The only reason they would hate a lovely boss is because the boss is being lovely to them personally. If Trump personally did something directly to them they'd probably hate him too, but otherwise they think they will one day be just like him. No, him loving them overly indirectly doesn't count because then there's plausible deniability that someone else caused it, or they just don't realize it was his fault.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Mr Interweb posted:

fat chance, dipshit

saying the virus is the enemy IS politicizing it, you goober. especially since your side keeps insisting it's NOT the enemy!

Spoilers, whenever someone, anyone, complains that something is politicized or too political, it actually is them complaining someone disagrees with them. Nobody complains something is politicized when they agree with it and it agrees with them.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Being a nurse has very little to do with quality medical knowledge, I've found

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Telsa Cola posted:

People can have absolutely no real professional knowledge of their job beyond say, a semster or two long course, and be fine because they will somehow always skate by and/or people will cover for them.

Yeah this can definitely happen with any profession. I think it is worth noting that a lot of nursing courses are kind advertised like "hey, tired of working lovely part time jobs? Don't know what to do with your life? Trying nursing school!" Googling "how to become a nurse" has the first result advertising a 16-month course and how easy it is. A lot of these courses aren't necessarily targeting people that have a passion to help others, but instead people who are aimless. I think a not-insignificant number of nursing students join the programs because hey, it's a better career path than Starbucks, and it's noble to help people I guess.

Yeah you need to learn a lot of medical stuff to pass nursing school, but if you don't really care that much about the material beyond getting a passing grade then I doubt much of it will stick.

I'll also admit I'm making a lot of assumptions here and may very well be completely wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Trump never even opened the letter he got from Obama, so Biden found that one and thought it was from ol' Donny.