Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Uncle Wemus posted:

Is it that hillary was just THAT unlikable or was the right wing rhetoric/propaganda machine that strong?

Or both?

hillary isn't the most likeable person ever, america has a shitload of sexism when it comes to women seeking office, right wing rhetoric/propaganda machine has been firing pretty much full blast at hillary for the last 25 years

it's a mix of a couple things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
i crave the sweet release of (baby boomer) death

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Good soup! posted:

I click them

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I'd add "trolled" somewhere in there but yeah it's pretty great

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

hillbilly elegy

can this be my antifa supersoldier callsign

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
i mean even whether you think retraining is actually a solution or not we all know they will never ever swallow their pride enough to take advantage of a government program they realize is a government program

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

We all know there's not gonna be a Robot Tax.

Agreed, I just meant that even if somehow it did happen and were actually used to fund retraining programs, it wouldn't do a god damned bit of good. We've already tried to do retraining with coal workers and they just steadfastly refuse to take advantage of the programs because surely god emperor Trump will bring back coal any day now.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

wizard on a water slide posted:

loving absolutely

this has been going on for a very long time wrt individual craftsmanship vs mass-produced clothing, furniture, etc

There is honestly a world of difference between mass produced furniture and hand made stuff. I'm an amateur woodworker and furniture maker and one of the reasons I've gotten into the hobby is because of how durable and beautiful properly made wooden furniture is. My wife has an antique dresser she inherited that's over a hundred years old, and it's still a functional, nice looking piece that we use every day.

Though you could totally build machines to produce all of the parts of nice furniture and to assemble them and create results that are virtually indistinguishable from what a craftsman with 30 years experience can do, we just don't bother because people want their poo poo cheap and disposable. I've seen people build contraptions to automate the most irritating parts of a lot of the joints that go into this stuff and it cuts their fabrication and assembly time down by like half or more.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Crocoswine posted:

lets not give them the benefit of the doubt because when they're presented with these opportunities in the ideal conditions they still loving turn them down

that would mean admitting that the government can do good and useful things and that sometimes people need help rebuilding their lives through no fault of their own, which runs contrary to everything they build their lives around

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
apparently the scorpion can learn

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
You can find a lot of interesting info on the matter from the US Dept of Agriculture ag census, I've been digging through it some for work and it's actually really neat stuff.

https://www.agcensus.usda.gov/Publications/2012/

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

This is goddamned delightful

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Agean90 posted:

lmao if your paying 25 an hour for a job that doesnt need a high school diploma in the south east and that poo poo aint getting filled in 2 weeks then your not advertising it.

like half of my early 20s friends would loving jump at the chance to do back breaking work for 25 an hour, no joke

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

Its the ability harass workers. I threw hay as a kid for under the table money, and it's heavy work, but it ain't bad.

Yeah, I worked at a pear packing shed for a summer a few years back and it's absolutely about being able to shove people around and scream at them and to have workers who have no means of reprisal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
i see mississippi is really taking marie antoinette's advice to heart