Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

sexpot posted:

Obama wasn't anywhere near "liberal" and neither are most elected Democrats
Sure he was.

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm not a fan of Trump or Republicans but tbf Trump is as close to any Republican ideology as my dick is to a hot girl, which is not very, and not in a long time :smith:

https://twitter.com/karenhorvot/status/822890012043833346
How is Trump not close to any Republican ideology?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Agean90 posted:

lol of course georgias top term is ebony.
Yeah, it's strange that the 3 blackest states are into black people.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Definitely pick hippos. Stick a sentry gun on their backs and you have a solid multirole border agent.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

i do dear! it's not a look for everyone is all

there is actor gaunt, like yourself, and skeletor gaunt, like internet nazis

there is a very clear difference upon observation
Skeletor is buff as hell though, even his skull.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

it was a manner of speaking, short-hand if you will, for cadaverous slinking ghost person
A short-hand should still actually bring the right image to mind.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Trump is making a heroic stand against clientelism.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Truly putting the rising tide aphorism to the test.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ideally if pence takes over the time it'll take him to build an administration from scratch would delay him enough that nothing would get done
What are the chances Trump has been building up a cache of kompromat against his supposed allies, with the help of the intelligence agencies he now has access to, as an insurance policy against any attempt to oust him? While he's obviously not the smoothest political operator, this seems like something he'd be way into, and now he has access to all kinds of new ways to get dirt on people.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

I tried to find the link to Jill Stein's tweet where she said trump was a better choice than Hillary to prevent WWIII but it's hard to search that far back
Can't prove Hillary wouldn't already have started a nuclear war.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Was it like a "the burger is a pound but every topping you want is also a pound" sort of thing? yikes
I doubt the burger was only a pound.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Tokyo is way more hosed than any west coast city, they're on the convergence of 3 plates and haven't had a big one for over a century
This seems to contradict the article? Like, Japanese buildings have been built too weak for the earthquakes we now know they can face, a lot of west coast cities aren't even designed for earthquakes in the first place. As for not having a big one for over a century, they had one in 1923, the previous one being two centuries earlier. Meanwhile, the Pacific north west is nearing a century of overshoot compared to the average time between massive earthquakes. Or is the article wrong?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

you could be born into a well off Roman family in 390 or so and learn to write and give the proper speeches to get ahead in the imperial civil service and by the end of your life you're living in a wood-and-mud hut and scratching letters into an old shard of broken pottery because there hasn't been parchment for decades and you can only use pottery shards to write on because that amphora finally broke irreparably because you'd repaired it so many times because the local pottery industry also collapsed decades ago
Isn't this a major exaggeration of the actual day-to-day effect of the end of the Roman Empire? Sure, the empire lost the ability to kick everyone's asses, but the above seems to basically assume that the former Roman Empire became more primitive than the barbarians that brought it down.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Gringostar posted:

i can only speak for CA but we take earthquakes very loving seriously here and probably have the most robust earthquake building codes for the types of quakes we will see
The article is about the cities outside CA, where earthquakes aren't taken seriously at all from the sound of it, and where the potential earthquakes are quite a bit stronger too. As the article points out, the idea of "the big one" in California is something that people are actually aware off the world over, while the population of Portland probably doesn't realize that it could be the epicenter of a natural disaster that kills three times as many people in the city alone as all natural disasters in the US since 1900.

Gringostar posted:

also, a lot of the "built buildings too weak for the earthquakes they can face" stuff is because we now know there are several different types of shaking during an earthquake instead of the one type most everything was built to
From the article it seems to be a straight up "underestimated the potential energy released" kinda deal, as opposed to the buildings not being built to survive earth quakes releasing more of their energy into a specific type of shaking.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

this is a good chart to summarize why the old guard elected democrats are so reluctant to champion single payer and higher minimum wage-- it's not corruption, it's fear born of decades of republican rule. factor in all the ways young and minority voters get disenfranchised and have lower turnout in general, and it's not that hard to understand the continued hesitancy. some consistent wins by younger progressive candidates would do wonders for bringing the rest around IMO
Seems like a self-fulling prophecy. First you don't fight for your constituents, then use their low turnout as a justification for not fighting for them.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

The cool Boomers were hippies or student radicals. The majority of them weren't and were bitter about all the sex and good times the hippies got to have while they were living boring lives.
A lot of the student radicals turned into shitheads later in life though, as soon as they got a chance to be the establishment.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

logikv9 posted:

the donald trump presidential library is going to be mostly a gift shop and hotel tbh
If it's not an exact replica of Versailles except twice the size and entirely covered in gold with a flashing T*R*U*M*P sign then I'm gonna be extremely disappointed.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

How much money can Trump make selling his books to his library?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Business Gorillas posted:

This is the platonic ideal of boomers.txt

"Oh I think the world is dying better put literal doomsayers into office"
If you want to know what comes next, check out this thread that got far less attention than it deserved:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3834414

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Despite his strong and clear personal preference for Aryan women, Hefner opened up his magazine to the voices of important black thinkers, and the bodies of sexy black women, during a period where black people were still being lynched. While I won't deny your criticism, his behavior as a capitalist still puts him to the left of someone like Hillary, to insinuate that the man voted for Trump for the crime of being successful is disgusting.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kit Walker posted:

Dems need new blood.
The Dems hear you on this, and blood replacement is now part of their medical plan.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Burt Sexual posted:

Watch his ratings go up. Moves more liberal, wins 2020 ahead of Bernie.
I can see the appeal to Trump of proving his popularity by being elected both a Republican and a Democrat president.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

What is it with farmers and being big supporters of policies/politicians that will disproportionately and obviously hurt them? Like, UK farmers voting to leave the organization that pays them a significant subsidy, gives them easy access to a much larger market, and whose rules allows them to easily and legally have a bunch of Poles come work cheaply. The last bit has an extra funny conclusion, since legally nothing has changed yet - but it convinced a bunch of potential seasonal workers that the UK was too racist for the low pay to be worth it, so they stayed at home and produce was left to rot in the fields instead.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

lack of education
I guess what amazes me is that they seem extra retarded compared to the usual uninformed voter, who at least have the excuse of being more removed from the business side of things than the guy who sets up deals with foreigners to buy his produce. Or who literally gets paid by the EU for merely owning agricultural land. Though at least in the latter case, this actually does seem to have swayed people toward not leaving the EU, even if some are all like "What???! The EU is gonna stop giving me free money when we leave the EU???" now. I suppose being incredibly dumb would explain why so many farmers have financial difficulties though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cold on a Cob posted:

I think you meant trepoochet.
Cacapulta

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Why would she waste time on men who hate Trump, when she's the right age to date Trump?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

etalian posted:

Couldn't they just not broadcast either their job or the fact that they voted for Trump?
They need to keep their linkedin profile so they can get a non-Trump job.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Some people might call that stupidity.
It's not though, it's just massively screwed up ideals. Voting for Trump though is pretty stupid, given just how hard he'd have to hit brown people to make up for the economic damage he'd clearly do. Despite everything, he's not likely to set up extermination camps for US citizens, which seems like the only thing that'd make up for destroying their businesses.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

TotalLossBrain posted:

An utterly reasonable expectation given Donald's campaign promises.

Did these people listen at all?
You had us at "the swamp".

A Buttery Pastry has issued a correction as of 08:08 on Jun 24, 2018

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Philthy posted:

Sometimes I wonder if this country is so loving dumb they have GOP confused with DNC. How the hell do you pull the red lever thinking it's the party of environmental protections.
I mean, that's not limited to the US. I recall someone posting a survey of (a specific type of) voters in the UK, where IIRC a large majority identified the policies of Corbyn's Labour (significantly to the left of someone like Bernie) with the Tories (essentially the GOP). Apparently a lot of people are just monumentally misinformed.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

If you do what conventional wisdom tells you is necessary to be informed, eg reading the local newspaper and/or watching the evening news, it's basically impossible to come into any contact with any actual facts and instead you get an unending torrent of bullshit
True, but the ideologies of the mainstream parties as presented in mainstream news are still generally true to the ideology of those parties, it's just that their ideologies are lies. These people seem to be too thick to actually understand the ideological programming coming out of mainstream news, except for the base level of "This party good, this party bad" and then just fill in what they intuitively think of as good. Intellectually, that's definitely a level below the people who are tricked into believing an ideology that goes against their interests.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Philthy posted:

London losing all the financial services to the EU will be something else. The entire country will go tits up without it. It's like Wall Street moving from New York to Canada. The ramifications are huge.
The short term impact is the UK running out of food, fuel, and medicine within 1-2 weeks, depending on which part of the country you live in. London financial services kinda pale in comparison.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

the onion wizard posted:

I haven't been keeping up to date with the brexit happenings; why would it be this severe? Wouldn't trade continue under whatever the default agreements are?
Rigged Death Trap mentioned the more long-term consequences, but the extreme immediate effects comes from the fact that the UK does not have near the capacity required to process imported EU goods post-Brexit. Trucks will basically just pile up at the border crossings. I think the UK can get around this by simply just letting them through, but then WTO rules basically says the UK becomes a free for all for every country in the world. So I guess what I'm saying is; Trump is gonna take credit for a great deal with the UK in a little less than a year.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Fantastic, let's double it.

We have the loving Internet now, we don't actually have to gather everyone in one giant room anymore.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

We should have at least as many representatives as the National People's Congress.
You could at least start by adding the 150 or so missing representatives, going by the cube root rule, which the 1830 congress did match pretty well.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Relin posted:

unfortunately time does turn backwards. you can see any number of nations descending into fascism (particularly ones in the middle east which used to be much more liberal) in the last 50 years. there's nothing "exceptional" about americans
That's not really turning backwards - reactionary regimes built on top of liberal regimes are still informed by the latter. Take Nazi Germany: Instead of turning back the clock and building up a regime around the aristocratic Junkers, their system largely accepted the place of the capitalist in German society and the elevation of the people as the prime political actor - though in the latter's case, the people's will came to be represented by the party and the Führer rather than through liberal representative democracy.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

raminasi posted:

I’m trying to imagine the chaos that would ensue today if you tried to make white people name the three branches of government before voting.
The only branches anyone should care about are the ones on the tree of liberty.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Grape posted:

You realize these days you don't have to legally match your last names after getting married right? And that the dude could even change his to hers if he so wanted? What do you imagine same sex couples have been doing this whole time lol.
Easy, they fight over who gets to be the man.

(Given the number of immigrants in the US, it kinda seems strange to me that people would expect people to adhere to the maiden-name thing. I don't think it's actually particularly common world-wide, and certainly isn't the rule in Spanish-speaking countries.)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Couldn’t you move to Canada or some other old dominion? I know Canadians can work in he UK without having to jump through many hoops, so the reverse must be true.
Not sure that poo poo is reciprocal. The UK is probably just running off old Empire rules, which never got changed because half their political class isn't even aware that Ireland is an independent state.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Troubles 2: Electric bogaloo
The more informed Tories of course know that Ireland is an independent state, which is why they threaten to invade it post-Brexit.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Jose posted:

i've got israel as my only escape from the UK lmao
With your posting, and the way Israel is going, you're gonna be declared an antisemite and barred from Israel within a couple of years.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

They would 100% let them back in. Nobody wants brexit except the ignorant and those hoping to profit from them
This might be true if letting the UK back in would cure the Brexit disease, but there's no reason to think it would. At the very least, the EU would demand the UK reenter under regular terms, including a timetable for joining the Euro - the Euro bit to make leaving an even more obvious disaster, and to put a bigger economy in the Eurozone.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The Dipshit posted:

I thought they suspended the whole "join the Euro" process? Like it won't work even on short-ish timescales unless they start doing transfer payments anyway, like how the US does it.
You seem to be implying that the Euro project actually has some thought behind it. Like, you're right about it not working, but the reason people aren't joining the Euro is because they don't want to - not because the Eurozone members don't want them to. The UK joining the Euro, even in its current sorry state, would be a major victory for the EU/Germany. Not only would it have defeated the EU's greatest critic, the Eurozone would also be bolstered by a large economy that's pretty ideologically and economically compatible with Germany's vision for Europe. Euroskeptics aside, but they're clearly being sidelined in this scenario.

Saros posted:

The EU has been very clear they would be willing to cancel Article 50 and thus Brexit if the UK asked nicely and accept the terms of the UK's current position unchanged. Doing so is widely considered political suicide by every UK politician so don't expect it to happen.
Wasn't that like a year ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Jose posted:

important to note that a bunch fo government ministers and high profile politicians are also claiming that no deal is fine. Most of them its because they intend to make a killing as state entities get sold off as happened in russia. Others its because they're genuinely delusional
If the EU is smart, it has already bought off everyone it needs to to get complete control of the UK's nuclear arsenal. No one wants the UK to become some lovely knockoff of Russia/North Korea, threatening nuclear holocaust if we don't buy their cakes.