Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ArmZ posted:

it owns that we're present at the birth of the next major religion
Loser religion like Christianity that required centuries to get going, or a winner like Islam that started its career by destroying a major religion within the first generation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kreeblah posted:

And? Pence gets to be president for a few days/weeks under that scenario before Biden gets sworn in on the 20th. That's it.
Biden won against Trump in the presidential election, not Pence. If Pence is president, he gets to stay president. That's how it works.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

i've been the computer toucher, the cabling toucher, and the contract toucher. breaking news, bud: it's all hosed unless you're PMC
Please stop using the term PMC. It obscures the need for unity across the working class, replacing it with a liberal belief in an ever-growing multitude of classes. Income is not a class signifier.

Just use the term class traitor where appropriate.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

I prefer the far more exclusive and predicative term "labor aristocracy" which constitutes not a majority, but enough of the working class in the capitalist west to preclude the formation of any real class solidarity absent the collapse of the liberal party and its subsequent takeover by revolutionaries
That term has a different meaning though, encompassing a far larger (though shrinking) group than the term "PMC". The latter term being preferred among some because it does not include the speaker, presumably.

It is a better term though, because it attacks a structural problem while maintaining the fact that the group in question is and always will be labor.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Brexit was marketed as "now you can punch Polish workers and murder Pakistani workers, with impunity".
No to Brexit: 20 million Turks will force Sharia Law on England
Yes to Brexit: Foreigners are outlaws

Zeroisanumber posted:

The UK (and England specifically) seem to be under this continued delusion that Europe and the rest of the world need them way more than they do. The assumption was that they'd Brexit and then negotiate full market access agreements before it took effect. They figured they'd have both the markets and their precious racisms because who could live without the UK's market?
The English believe the UK is what the US actually is. As opposed to Americans, who believe the US is the world.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Somehow I still don't think a definition of working class that includes people who can easily afford to (and do) become landlords is very useful.
Class is about power dynamics. The capitalists can, with the backing of the state, prevent you from making money - and thus they can force you into giving up the majority of your labor for free. Landlords work the same way, but for housing. Someone making more money than you from their labor is not free of this dynamic, they're just in a position to demand more.

You yourself even point out the actual issue, landlordism. It's not that they have money, it's that they have housing they can use to demand labor from other workers.

Epic High Five posted:

you see if someone is deriving their income from being a landlord they are not working class, because other people are earning their income for them, like I said. If they still work but also have investment properties they are petit, the fun gray area where they cannot be relied upon to have any solidarity with workers but also if they stop working they will in all probability suffer enormously for it, a trait of the working class

Any more though, I would say this only really comes up in the form of someone renting a room out of their home or splitting their home into a smaller home and an apartment as an additional income stream, which is a very different proposition than the investment landlord as we imagine them. Dunno what property values are in your area but around here you aren't owning homes you don't live in if you didn't enter the market rich already, be it from existing productive capital or from generational wealth
To build on your last point, the petite bourgeoisie is shrinking too. In good times it'll happily exploit the workers, but in bad times they will lose their capital to the proper bourgeoisie (generally banks in this case). Since losing your capital essentially means you're out of the game, what with the "smart time to buy" being half a century ago, that means fewer and fewer petite bourgeois. You see it with landlords, "mom and pop" stores, doctors, and so on.

Which is not to say that you're supposed to be crying for "mom and pop" landlords or whatever, but I think it illustrates the point. Even those fuckers get hosed by capitalists, another worker making twice as much as you is not fundamentally different from you.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Zopotantor posted:

Does that mean they could export that poo poo before?!? :barf:
That's organic TB vaccine.

Nothus posted:

And novel covid variants. It's the most successful British export since the Spice Girls.
They didn't even make that, they just found it first.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

that guy was 41 with no prior underlying health issues

but yes, let's continue to tempt fate :downs:
Well, there was one, though he shares it with like 70% of the US. Which is kind of the reason it doesn't make sense to talk up "no prior underlying health issue", because underlying health issues are extremely common.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I think you're thinking of overweight in a cultural sense, rather then a medical one. You can still easily be overweight in a 'pre-existing condition' sense without being visibly fat at all. I'm not saying that I know for certain that he's overweight, but just statistically speaking there's a 75% chance he is and that photo doesn't actually prove otherwise.
Looking at pictures of the dude, he has a fat neck, fat fingers, and a gut.

cakesmith handyman posted:

We're so used to seeing people who are medically overweight it looks normal to us now. Look up old photos from the 50's and 60's and everyone looks deathly thin. They're not, we're all just fat.
Yeah. Dude is not like obese, probably skinnier than most Americans, but still overweight. (and not because he’s a musclebound hunk.)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

”Cup Runneth Over" posted:

Neckbearded obese goons
The obese goons are definitely the ones arguing that this guy is overweight, not the ones who can’t even recognize someone overweight.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

trying desperately to argue the bland, traditionally handsome dead chud was actually overweight, to prove... something
The point is that a ton of people downplay health risks, based on the vulnerable being those with existing health conditions, a group that is far larger than people assume and which probably includes themselves.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I don’t recommend watching it and I’m very sorry that I did, but in that stream where the chud gets shot for trying to break through the barricade with the secret service on the other side, she looks really shocked that she got shot. , like she never expected it to happen. I keep thinking about it and wondering why she’d be so surprised that they would shoot her after they kept saying they’d shoot her. I feel like the key to figuring out their psychology is in that moment.
I mean, I haven’t been shot, but I think it might cause actual physical shock.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

https://twitter.com/LamarWhiteJr/status/1347029746668986368

another local nola grocer also got got: the breaux mart owner

https://twitter.com/BreauxMart/status/1347245822619090950

you'd think these dumbass rich people would have a little more sense about expecting backlash for that kinda thing, new orleans is overwhelmingly blue - they just went 83-15 a couple months ago
Presumably he lives in one of the extra White suburbs.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

what's the legality on this?

if i bump into you and say, "oh, pardon me" do i owe you two mil?
Since Ontario had to make a specific law that said expressions of contrition or commiseration (outside court) can't be used as evidence for wrongdoing, and it comes from the same legal tradition as most jurisdictions in the US, clearly it's a possibility.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Biplane posted:

It's very funny to me that these people apparently thought that just aimlessly milling about the capitol for a while = a coup. That's how it works right, like when you're capturing the objective in Call of Duty, or Battlefield?
Some of them switched the flags, right? Unfortunately for them, the objective was the main flag on top of the building, they just managed to capture individual rooms inside.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

But it should have been slowly lowering as they spent time inside.
Sorry, they brought a shaman to the coup so the Capitol defaulted to WoW rules.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

This is why America needs better consumer protection laws. This would never fly in the EU.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

if the party had nothing to do with his friend's death, it would be pointless to ask him about it. the guy is clearly saying he'd still party like there's no tomorrow even if it caused his friend to die, and if he somehow had a chance to do it over, he'd party even harder than last time to own the libs even further
If you already know the dude is gonna die, maybe party so hard he dies at the party?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I just want to say, though I am not a Biden voter, that he made me remember that death is inevitable in a very visceral fashion. Dude is memento mori personified. Based off that alone, Biden voters might skew heavily towards people who do not grasp that they will in fact die at any point, let alone under him.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Business Gorillas posted:

the biggest biden stan i know is a 72 year old boomer who believes he'll never die and regularly fell asleep at work meetings
Biden voters confirmed mentally three years old. That said, falling asleep during a meeting is to be respected.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cocaine Bear posted:

Is 2024 going to be so important that the left wing has to hold their nose and go with the tepid centrist banker "compromise" candidate (and policies)? Well, hopefully that's the last time!
The worst bankerotype, carceral banker.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Hillary 2020 posted:

I guess they just both hated each other for a long time and all the petty acts of revenge finally tipped one over the edge to murder.
It's not murder, the woman endorsed her own killing.

But seriously, why the gently caress would you post that? It's literally just some snuff poo poo from the description. It doesn't have anything to do with the topic of thread. Someone you consider a subhuman getting murdered on video is not a voter realizing they're going to die under anyone.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I know this word is a right wing shibboleth but "mail your representatives!! they have to respond!!!" is the most cucked poo poo ever. hard to imagine anything more pathetic than believing that something is going to happen other than your congressman's intern throwing it away and sending you a form letter before going back to writing their harvard admission essay about how seeing hamilton made them cry
You have to include an invitation to your sick party in your private Bahamas resort, stuff like that. Writing letters is truly a lost art...

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

:lol: @ the fact that Donald Trump will be elected POTUS twice in my lifetime just :laffo:
Trump didn’t want to get sick of winning, so he spaced it out.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

theflyingexecutive posted:

who tf in this country spells it “cheques”?
Russia is outsourcing its troll farms to the UK.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

it actually bothers me that people feel this way. and the combination of anger and arrogance towards people and their social movements. it's very reactionary, i feel. does BLM destroy class consciousness? it's a social movement with its own momentum. you have to either relate to it or not. i dunno what you want people to do
BLM is a rather minor part of idpol, compared to say, Christian dominonism or white supremacy. Of course, by the same token, class warfare (which includes reactionary idpol poo poo) has also been a massive success with respect to destroying class consciousness.

It might be true that it is a distraction from the real objective, but it is not a battle of our choosing and it is one we need to win to achieve the real objective. I think the thing people are reacting to here is false victories, like electing a token representative rather than someone who will actually improve conditions for the masses.

Basically, idpol can mean whatever you want it to mean, from any kind of politics that conceive of the world through identities to the tokenism of corporations, the political establishment, and liberals in general. The latter is probably what most people here mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Never was.