Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Bushiz posted:

On one hand heaping needless scorn on these people does nothing productive and can actually be harmful to efforts to reach people in proximity with them that aren't too far gone but on the other hand the nicest teachers in the world who care deeply and personally about the education of their pupils will bitch endlessly about how loving stupid said pupils are the moment they're out of earshot.

I think it's more like "on one hand heaping scorn on these people does nothing productive, but then again trying to reach them through sincere appeals to their humanity, compassion, and belief in good American first principles like personal liberty and diversity also does nothing productive"

The solution is not to be mean or to be nice to these people, it's to slap their hands away when they do transparently evil poo poo and spend the rest of the time educating and winning over the people you can reach (alienated Dem voters, children, etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ayatollah Hermione posted:

remind me how many bankers or torturerers obama prosecuted

I think there are other differences between political parties and theories beyond "number of torturers prosecuted"

like nobody's trying to argue that we have a hard left and center right party or something, but it's also disingenuous to suggest that republicans would have come up with the ACA (since literally the first thing they set about doing after the election was repealing it) or given executive orders saying government contractors can't discriminate against homos

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

HorseRenoir posted:

Hey here's a map of Trump voters who are about to realize they're going to die under Trump

https://twitter.com/allinwithchris/status/839648381832204288

It's a shame poor people have to take a bullet for it, but anything that kills people over 60 is a net good right now in the US so

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
like for some reason that "81% of supposedly poor people have a microwave" stuff started going viral on my facebook again today and I was like "aside from everything else this is an age thing, 70 year olds (ppl watching cable news) have no real idea that you can buy a brand-new microwave for $50 or less and a used one online for a fraction of that, even though it's in large part a direct consequence of all that outsourcing they claim to hate which was their own fault"

boomers by and large don't seem to understand the consequences, ill and occasionally even good, of any of the loving choices they made or policies they embraced and it's weird

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm fascinated every time I remember this happened the year I was born

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i like when they blame their children for the way they themselves raised them

the strangest part of this like a lot of boomer stuff is how internally inconsistent it is

they think kids who were raised in the 80s and 90s were super coddled, and also that reagan's economic policy ushered in prosperity unprecedented since the 1950s, while never making the connection between the two concepts

like even if they were right about us and right about reaganomics, it never occurs to them to think "maybe kids become coddled, have higher expectations, etc when they grow up in economically prosperous times and cultures, so that this thing we gripe about is an emergent consequence of this thing we love"

at times it feels like their embrace of individualism and selfishness is so radical that they don't understand fundamental social science concepts, or even that you can glean anything meaningful by measuring trends and observing group behavior

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Crocoswine posted:

Sure, but I've heard far too many people, in my actual day to day life, talk about how they didn't vote/voted third party/wrote in a "real liberal", so I don't think that 8% is entirely because of disenfranchisement. Lotta apathy and a lot of idealistic dumbasses, sadly.

Two things

1) Their willingness to write in a non-Trump/Clinton candidate, while ultimately useless in this election, might suggest good things about millennials - opposition to our lovely parties, commitment to the belief that serious change is needed, open-mindedness, their being informed enough to understand why both candidates wouldn't improve their lives, etc. Obviously it would've been better for them not to hand Republicans control of the whole government, but voting third-party, writing in Bernie, etc doesn't suggest only bad things.

2) Have 18-29 year olds EVER been more likely to vote major party than 45-90 year olds? Are millennials actually any different in that regard from any other generation?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

so far, millennials have birthed a bumper crop of neo-nazis and the notion that political power can be obtained by not voting.

every generation has problems, and they rarely see their own. let's not get too full of ourselves.

the thought leaders of that bumper crop of neo-nazis are gen xers and boomers; they're a byproduct of the economic collapse that was set in motion decades ago, what happens when you have a generation of shiftless, underemployed, nihilistic, disenfranchised young men

you're right that every generation has its issues, but it's far easier to analyze the successes and failures of boomers than millennials, because millennials are still in the process of developing a career and a politics in the context of boomers furiously hanging on to their jobs and the reins of political power

in other words, the younger a generation is, the more fair it is to go "let's not pass judgment yet"

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

"I believe that Donald Trump is a businessman and he's not dumb," she says.

lol

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five posted:

If I wasn't more worried about the welfare of fellow proletarians over spiting her I'd report her to ICE lol

If the idea has occurred to you, ten /pol/ dudes have already done it

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Business Gorillas posted:

The story of rural/exurban life for the past 50 or so years has been the gradual decline of quality of life and a funnelling of wealth into cities via elites

wealth that benefits a minority of a minority of the population of those cities, while the bulk of their inhabitants struggle to afford rapidly rising costs of living while working the same kind of lovely hourly service jobs and gig-work as rural whites

naked contempt is a zero-sum game in the united states; rural whites and republican voters didn't grow theirs purely in response to the mean ole liberals

basically this:

Epic High Five posted:

Don't infantilize them

they have exactly as much agency and responsibility as the underemployed white liberal twentysomethings and black working class who vote for democrats and hurl invective at republican voters, i.e. not much, but non-zero, which is what everyone has been trying to claim about the poor abused rural white since election day

Baku has issued a correction as of 06:46 on Apr 2, 2017

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

in a world where robots can do all menial tasks the rich will pay desperate poor ppl to do the tasks anyway as a mark of status

loving absolutely

this has been going on for a very long time wrt individual craftsmanship vs mass-produced clothing, furniture, etc

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

"Some were given the go-ahead for another year, but boy, you start looking at these lower prices and the extra costs that are out there now it gets tough. It just doesn't work," he said.

ah, more of that homespun wisdom

if only they'd come up with it in 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's also important to remember that for the most part American farmers are a class of middle/upper-middle white collar professionals, not dumb salt of the Earth guys barely making ends meet; they're also not a significant chunk of the labor market

Their profits being down 50% doesn't mean anybody's starving, it means they're going to have to shutter the farm in a few years and become cashiers or cam girls like everyone else

IDK if anyone ITT hasn't already internalized that but it's important bc there's so much dumb rhetoric and cultural baggage about farmers on both the right and left

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Shear the Sheep posted:

if you haven't followed Laura Loomer yet on twitter youre missing out of some great tweets

https://twitter.com/LauraLoomer/status/1064356956712792065

hates muslims so much she will oppress herself and other jews. just normal things

when I was in elementary school they instated a dress code that banned hats and headwear for boys and men, but girls and women were allowed to wear them because of the necessities of being fashionable

which makes it sound like I'm ninety years old, but no, the south is just real weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Astrofig posted:

Is there even such a thing as a rural left?

we exist, we just don't do anything of note, which makes us slightly less effective than the american left in general