Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Real talk, anyone have experience with the Ares SCR? I live in a van city (DC) so this is about the only thing I can get AR like performance out of.

And no, moving to VA is not an option for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

DoktorLoken posted:

Rent a storage locker in VA?

I want to have a rifle and a handgun that I can store legally in DC. The handgun part isn't so bad, but if I want anything with AR-like modularity, I'm in a bad way.

A friend I know went the storage locker route, but loving with registration stuff isn't a road I want to go down right now.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Mike-o posted:

Also totally totally safe pointing the pistol across the firing lanes to put it in that dumb cock blocker. That's not gonna ever cause issues, totally.

I feebly attempt to chamber rounds with my finger on the trigger and enjoy muzzle sweeping everyone too.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Went to the range today. I took out a Glock 19, a firearm that I am well aquatinted with, and loving sucked today. I had good site picture and site alignment and a good grip, but consistently shot low and left between 21 and 50 feet. Any ideas? It was kind of maddening.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Pesticide20 posted:

You should've used the sights instead

Consider me chastened, I swear my proficiency with the English language is better than that of mine with a firearm.

Don't think I was anticipating recoil much; I'm well used to the G19. I probably had an off day, in which case

and

apply equally well.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Any excuse to repost this

https://youtu.be/1bm3GgDxPOM

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Did anyone ever figure out why Dugan Ashley was posting all kinds of weird conspiracy poo poo on his Instagram account? Dude seemed like he was a nudge away from going sovereign citizen at times.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I know some SF-types love them, but every medical professional I've talked to about them says that they take work to really stop arterial blood flow, hurt worse than a CAT or SOF-T, and break more easily. There was also some fuckery where the manufacturer said they were TCCC approved, but the body that is in charge of determining equipment standards and best practices is the Committee on TCCC (CoTCCC) so it's kind of shady.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

One of the local shops had DPMS AR15s for $300 this past weekend. Got my mail after the weekend away this morning, sale ran out yesterday. There weren't many screaming deals in the flier otherwise, but I think we're scraping the bottom of the barrel of AR prices.

In the meantime, those of us who can't buy an AR of any sort (DC resident here) are stuck with Fightlite SCRs at like $1100 or M1As at $1700.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Godholio posted:

We cannot allow a NERF gap.

https://youtu.be/jUbqbpBX1Us

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I have wide rear end feet and high arches. That said, I had a pair of Salomon boots that lasted for ten years.

My favorite boots are the Danners my friend gave me. Had them for five years and they’re still largely waterproof and in great condition. They get worn pretty frequently, too.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

What’s the consensus on a good folding knife with a blade under 3”? I finally broke the cheapo one I’d been carrying for years and am looking to upgrade.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I think that’s gonna be it right there. I’m limited to 3” blade if I’m going to carry it, so this looks pretty good. Thanks for all the suggestions!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

That whole "able to accept a large capacity magazine" sure does seem problematic, considering how a Fightlite SCR has no evil features otherwise but can accept any kind of AR mag.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Professor Bling posted:

Eh, that's basically the new trend in naming kids in farm country.

Like how suburbanite moms use way too many Ys in their kid names? Yeah, my friends back in my hometown are just naming their kids after dogs

Stop nameshaming my two beautiful children, Mavyryck and Guse.

Also Oliver North is gonna be President of the NRA hahahahahahah RIP 2A

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I saw Free Solo last night. Beautifully shot documentary and Jimmy Chin’s camerawork is out of this world. Honnold definitely comes across as someone who’s a bit odd, but you can’t help but like the guy. There are some unbelievably tense moments even though you go into the film knowing the outcome.

Free solo rock climbing has about as much appeal to me as free diving- yeah, you may be at the top .01% of all humans, but make one little fuckup and you’re dead. I like my outdoor activities to have a slightly larger safety buffer.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Went bikepacking with two friends yesterday. We had some hilarious misadventures involving a bad route selection for our first part on dirt and having to modify our ride a bit to make it to camp with some daylight left, but this was today’s sunrise over the Potomac in 34 degree weather.

Couple of random shots from the trails:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

That’s about the only way I could hunt anything. I like the skill, bushcraft and marksmanship involved in it, but don’t actually want to hurt or kill an animal. Nerf hunting sounds like a great way around that.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Edit: you explained what you were using in a post I missed

This is a GoPro frame grab from when my girlfriend and I went diving in a cenote on the Yucatán Peninsula back in June. That was such a trippy experience, especially when we went through the halocline (the barrier between salt and fresh water.)

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 10, 2018

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

eTtex 20x has been my go-to. I got really good battery life with it, and I like being able to design routes and such with the BaseCamp app.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I'm going sent to South Africa and Zimbabwe for work next month. I'm trying to chart my incoming flight into Cape Town and spend a few days there for one reason and one reason only.

CAGE DIVING WITH GREAT WHITE SHARKS.

If I can get my flights all in a row, I'm hopefully going to fulfill one of my all-time bucket list items. It will be extensively documented via GoPro and whatever camera they let me use.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Going on a 4-day, 3-night bikepacking trip next week and my biggest dilemma is whether to take my UL tent and sleeping bag or my hammock setup instead. Either will work very well but I’m just absolutely paralyzed in making a final call.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I have a tarp that has seen my hammock through an overnight rainstorm that dumped two inches while leaving me completely dry, and also a full compliment of top and under quilts to stay warm. It’s more a matter of me not being able to make up my drat mind over two perfectly good systems. Such are the travails when your basement storage unit looks like someone is using it to fence goods stolen from REI.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Yeah, this is true. Hammock and straps on their own weigh next to nothing, but the number of days when you can get away without a bug net, tarp, underquilt and top quilt are few and far between, at least in the area where I live, so yeah, you’re definitely looking at comparable weights for a kitted out hammock vs a basic tent and sleeping bad setup. That said, there have been a number of times when I’ve hung a hammock over wet and muddy ground and slept in comfort and cleanliness while my friends had to spend a long time cleaning their tents the next day.

The view from my hammock at a mountain biking event last summer.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Honestly? I wish I could say it was some crazy DSLR at f/1.8 for a 2 minute exposure, but it was my GoPro Hero 6 black at a 30" exposure at low ISO. I think I may have played with some exposure settings in post processing, but it honestly was that beautiful and starlit IRL. Wish I had brought my 70D and a tripod for this, it would have looked so cool.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I have exactly one gun in my collection, a Glock 19 that I bought the day after Charlottesville and lives in my safe and doesn’t get out to the range often enough. Ideally I’d love to own a featureless rifle like the SCR, an M1A, and a 1911, but I can’t justify spending that cash when I’ve got my wedding coming up this year. Oh, and also buying a new mountain bike, maybe some new glass for my camera, etc. Lando could always use a backpacking dog bed, too. Being all growed up means you don’t put away your toys, they just get more expensive.

First bikepacking trip of the season begins tomorrow, roughly 130 miles from my door back to it a few days later. Will take tons of pics and post them if they’re awesome.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

It may be a bit out of the most direct way but it’s worth it. Central Oregon is beautiful, Crater Lake doubly so.

Someday, I’ll drive the entirety of the Oregon coast to SF. Think you could take a week to do that.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

holocaust bloopers posted:

Some old poo poo from about a year ago.

That’s a really beautiful shot.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

My mountain biking team puts on a cyclocross race at the Armed Forces Retirement Home in DC every October. The 2019 one was two weeks ago, but I’ll hook up a couple of free beers for any GIPper who can come by and say hi when I’m working the beer tent next year.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Double post

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 3, 2019

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

tr-tr-tr-iple post

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Shameless plug, but I’m selling a couple of Kuhl hiking shirts over in Sa-Mart.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I’d read the gently caress out of whatever you care to post about your adventures, be it in this thread, another one in GIP, or TGO. Bottom line is:

:justpost:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Before I became a hammock camper, I liked my Big Agnes Fly Creek 2. I bought mine in 2015 and it’s my understanding that they’ve only continued to improve on the design. That said, I think most gear manufacturers measure “one person” as someone 5’ tall and 90 lbs so if you actually want a little room to stretch out you may want to get a three-person tent instead.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

IIRC at least some of you dudes are in Colorado and maybe a few in the Denver area. I’m heading there in early October with a couple of my best friends and looking for some good hikes within an hour or so of the city. We’d have our own wheels and are three guys in good shape in our late 30s. I visited Denver in 2019 for a wedding and did some hiking, but can’t recall exactly where I was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Thanks for the info, Berder- really appreciate this. I’ll do some digging on hikes in these areas and bring it to my friends!