Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Part of me really wants a Chiappa Rhino in a 5" barrel for my first revolver purchase, mainly because I'm into super weird engineering (it's the same reason I bought my project car, really. Rotary engines are fascinating, and so are underslung revolvers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dead Reckoning posted:

The trigger on the one I tried was somewhere between "poo poo" and "rear end."

Well, that's a shame. I'll have to see if I can find one to test, then.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I really need to buckle down and get a FOID card so I can start buying weird guns like the Rhino

I really just want my dumb space revolver

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Rat posted:

Yep. She sent me X-ray pics right after the surgery and my first thought was "my god, it's full of screws."

So you're saying you screwed her on the first date?

that was a really bad joke

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

at the date posted:

Where are you getting your numbers? Shootings make up the vast majority of homicides in the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/homicide.htm

Not shootings with semiautomatic rifles.

Which, yeah, banning semi-autos is loving ignorance of the highest order and wouldn't do poo poo

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Godholio posted:

Raises uncultured paw.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Duzzy Funlop posted:

My favorite part is the "ready to write" after a full day of coke, weed, and booze

Hell that was only nine hours into his day

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just found out, with the way that IL law works, the process that I'd have to go through for an SBR would allow me to travel into other states with it unrestricted (read: without waiting for permission from the ATF). Because in order to own an SBR in IL I'd need a C&R license (03 FFL).

This absolutely led to the ATF originally thinking that IL only allowed C&R rifles to be SBR'd until IL legislators were forced to clarify.

Might as well start the process, though, because my dumb rear end wants an SBR'd ARX-100.

Edit: I want to pick up the ARX-100 and a 92A1 in 9mm so I can start in on a "civilian versions of NATO-standard service weapon platforms" collection and knock out both US and Italy on the country list, and now that I know I can (in theory) own an SBR I just want a stubby space guppy.

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 30, 2018

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I'm assuming the "wait what" is about being able to own an SBR in IL so here's the short explanation:

IL outlawed ownership of NFA items years ago, but Public Act 097-0936, specifically this section:

Public Act 097-0936 posted:

(c) Subsection 24-1(a)(7) does not apply to or affect any of the following:.......
(7) A person possessing a rifle with a barrel or barrels less than 16 inches in length if: (A) the person has been issued a Curios and Relics license from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; or (B) the person is an active member of a bona fide, nationally recognized military re-enacting group and the modification is required and necessary to accurately portray the weapon for historical re-enactment purposes; the re-enactor is in possession of a valid and current re-enacting group membership credential; and the overall length of the weapon as modified is not less than 26 inches.

allows a C&R holder to own SBRs (and only SBRs, any other NFA item is still illegal to own in IL) as long as the whole rifle is over 26" long. The process takes a little longer than usual and there are also other considerations as well.

For instance: you have to file as an individual, not a trust, as it's impossible for a trust to be issued a FOID, so there's no e-file in IL. So it's passport photos and fingerprints with a paper application, and CLEO notification (CLEO cert was removed and replaced with notification in July of 2016).

There's transport and storage restrictions for IL (I don't know the restrictions for anywhere else, as I live in IL and haven't owned NFA items before), namely it must be transported unloaded, cased, and inaccessible, and you've got to keep a copy of your 03 FFL and your stamp with the gun.

The unrestricted travel is a bonus of the 03 FFL, as any 03 FFL holder isn't obligated by the '68 GCA to fill out a Form 20 prior to interstate travel.

The big stumbling block would be areas with AWBs, and the weirdness surrounding local preemption of bans like Cook County's. For instance, it'd be letter-of-the-law legal to own one in Hoffman Estates even though Cook County has an AWB, because Hoffman Estates has preempted the county ban and voided it within Hoffman Estates. Whether the ATF would approve is a weird one, so it'd require a letter of explanation with the application (and probably prayers/blood of the firstborn son).

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DoktorLoken posted:

What's the lowdown on Cook County's AWB, etc. ? What can you actually own in the city of Chicago proper?

This is a bit outside my expertise, so take it with a huge grain of salt, but Chicago's got it's own AWB, so it would preempt the Cook County AWB.

Chicago's:

Chicago Municipal Code Section 8-20-010 posted:

(1) A semiautomatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:

(i) a folding or telescoping stock
(ii) a handgun grip which protrudes conspicuously beneath the action
(iii) a bayonet mount
(iv) a flash suppressor or a barrel having a threaded muzzle
(v) a grenade, flare or rocket launcher; or
(vi) a barrel shroud.

Cook County:

"" posted:

Sec. 54-211. - Definitions.
The following words, terms and phrases, when used in this division, shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this section, except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:

Assault weapon means:

(1) A semiautomatic rifle that has the capacity to accept a large capacity magazine detachable or otherwise and one or more of the following:
(A) Only a pistol grip without a stock attached;
(B) Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand;
(C) A folding, telescoping or thumbhole stock;
(D) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel; or
(E) A muzzle brake or muzzle compensator;

(2) A semiautomatic pistol or any semi-automatic rifle that has a fixed magazine, that has the capacity to accept more than ten rounds of ammunition; (3) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:
(A) Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand;
(B) A folding, telescoping or thumbhole stock;
(C) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel;
(D) A muzzle brake or muzzle compensator; or
(E) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

(4) A semiautomatic shotgun that has one or more of the following:
(A) Only a pistol grip without a stock attached;
(B) Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand;
(C) A folding, telescoping or thumbhole stock;
(D) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds;
(E) An ability to accept a detachable magazine; or
(F) A grenade, flare or rocket launcher.

(5) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

(6) Conversion kit, part or combination of parts, from which an assault weapon can be assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;

(7) Shall include, but not be limited to, the assault weapons models identified as follows:
(A) The following rifles or copies or duplicates thereof:
(i) AK, AKM, AKS, AK-47, AK-74, ARM, MAK90, Misr, NHM 90, NHM 91, SA 85, SA 93, VEPR, Rock River Arms LAR-47, Vector Arms AK-47, VEPR, WASR-10, WUM, MAADI, Norinco 56S, 56S2, 84S, and 86S;
(ii) AR-10;
(iii) AR-15, Bushmaster XM15, Bushmaster Carbon 15, Bushmaster ACR, Bushmaster MOE series, Armalite M15, Armalite M15-T and Olympic Arms PCR;
(iv) AR70;
(v) Calico Liberty;
(vi) Dragunov SVD Sniper Rifle or Dragunov SVU;
(vii) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FNC;
(viii) Hi-Point Carbine;
(ix) HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, HK-USC and HK-PSG-1;
(x) Kel-Tec Sub Rifle, Kel-Tec Sub-2000, SU-16, and RFB;
(xi) Saiga;
(xii) SAR-8, SAR-4800;
(xiii) KS with detachable magazine;
(xiv) SLG 95;
(xv) SLR 95 or 96;
(xvi) Steyr AUG;
(xvii) Sturm, Ruger Mini-14, and Sturm, Ruger & Co. SR556;
(xviii) Tavor;
(xix) All Thompson rifles, including Thompson 1927, Thompson M1, Thompson M1SB, Thompson T1100D, Thompson T150D, Thompson T1B, Thompson T1B100D, Thompson T1B50D, Thompson T1BSB, Thompson T1-C, Thompson T1D, Thompson T1SB, Thompson T5, Thompson T5100D, Thompson TM1, Thompson TM1C and Thompson 1927 Commando;
(xx) Uzi, Galil and Uzi Sporter, Galil Sporter, or Galil Sniper Rifle (Galatz)
(xxi) Barret REC7, Barrett M82A1, Barrett M107A1;
(xxii) Colt Match Target Rifles;
(xxiii) Double Star AR Rifles;
(xxiv) DPMS Tactical Rifles;
(xxv) Heckler & Koch MR556;
(xxvi) Remington R-15 Rifles;
(xxvii) Rock River Arms LAR-15;
(xxviii) Sig Sauer SIG516 Rifles, SIG AMT, SIG PE 57, Sig Saucer SG 550, and Sig Saucer SG 551;
(xxix) Smith & Wesson M&P15;
(xxx) Stag Arms AR;
(xxxi) Baretta CX4 Storm;
(xxxii) CETME Sporter;
(xxxiii) Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1, Max 2, AR 100, and AR 110C;
(xxxiv) Fabrique Nationale/FN Herstal FAL, LAR, 22 FNC, 308 Match, L1A1 Sporter, PS90, SCAR, and FS2000;
(xxxv) Feather Industries AT-9;
(xxxvi) Galil Model AR and Model ARM;
(xxxvii) Springfield Armory SAR-48;
(xxxviii) Steyr AUG;
(xxxix) UMAREX UZI Rifle;
(xl) UZI Mini Carbine, UZI Model A Carbine, and UZI Model B Carbine;
(xli) Valmet M62S. M71S, and M78;
(xlii) Vector Arms UZI Type;
(xliii) Weaver Arms Nighthawk; and
(xliv) Wilkinson Arms Linda Carbine

(B) The following handguns, pistols or copies or duplicates thereof:
(i) All AK-47 types, including Centurion 39 AK handgun, Draco AK-47 handgun, HCR AK-47 handgun, 10 Inc. Hellpup, AK-47 handgun, Krinkov handgun, Mini Draco AK-47 handgun, and Yugo Krebs Krink handgun.
(ii) All AR-15 types, including American Spirit AR-15 handgun, Bushmaster Carbon 15 handgun, DoubleStar Corporation AR handgun, DPMS AR-15 handgun, Olympic Arms AR-15 handgun and Rock River Arms LAR 15 handgun;
(iii) Calico Liberty handguns;
(iv) DSA SA58 PKP FAL handgun;
(v) Encom MP-9 and MP-45;
(vi) Heckler & Koch model SP-89 handgun;
(vii) Intratec AB-10, TEC-22 Scorpion, TEC-9 and TEC-DC9;
(viii) Kel-Tec PLR 16 handgun;
(ix) MAC-IO, MAC-11, Masterpiece Arms MPA A930 Mini Pistol, MPA460 Pistol, MPA Tactical Pistol, MPA 3 and MPA Mini Tactical Pistol;
(x) Military Armament Corp. Ingram M-11 and Velocity Arms VMAC;
(xi) Sig Sauer P556 handgun;
(xii) Sites Spectre;
(xiii) All Thompson types, including the Thompson TA510D and Thompson TA5;
(xiv) Olympic Arms OA;
(xv) TEC-9, TEC-DC9, TEC-22 Scorpion, or AB-10; and
(xvi) All UZI types, including Micro-UZI.

(C) The following shotguns or copies or duplicates thereof:
(i) Armscor 30 BG;
(ii) SPAS 12 or LAW 12;
(iii) Striker 12;
(iv) Streetsweeper;
(v) All IZHMASH Saiga 12 types, including the IZHMASH Saiga 12, IZHMASH Saiga 12S, IZHMASH Saiga 12S EXP-01, IZHMASH Saiga 12K, IZHMASH Saiga 12K-030, and IZHMASH Saiga 12K-040 Taktika.

(D) All belt-fed semiautomatic firearms, including TNWM2HB.
"Assault weapon" does not include any firearm that has been made permanently inoperable, or satisfies the definition of "antique firearm," stated in this section, or weapons designed for Olympic target shooting events.

Note that Cook County banned the Steyr AUG by name twice.

However, Chicago's preempts Cook County's, so as long as it meets Chicago's definitions it should be okay. I don't live in the city or county, so I don't have heavy experience with the AWBs there. The one guy I know in the city stores his poo poo outside the county to avoid everything anyway.

I've heard of guys getting away with Mini-14s within the city though, (at least the Ranch Rifle), but that's obviously hearsay.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hell, any AWB has some hosed up and generally vague language; that poo poo's by design to keep modern weapons out of the hands of civilians.

DoktorLoken posted:

I guess I should be happy that WI has statewide preemption of firearms laws, no problem at all owning an AR15 or any NFA item in Milwaukee.

I consider myself lucky that this AWB fuckery is pretty much restricted to Cook County right now; of course, there's no guarantee it'll stay that way, so I'm planning on moving in the next few years. Figure while I'm stuck here I can at least get my poo poo sorted and start on what I can while I can, though. No telling if/when the state'll decide to outlaw SBRs again.

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 30, 2018

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Meanwhile, I'm fifteen minute's drive from a large outdoor range.

It was even easier when I lived in southern IL; living seven miles out of town meant that my back porch was perfectly fine to shoot off of. I had a few steel targets set in the woods behind the house, but that was when I was living somewhere where we used .223 as a varmint round to keep coyotes and feral dogs from coming too close to the goats.

And between "if I wanted I could literally just open the window and shoot out of the house" or "drive two hours to somewhere out of state and also not be able to properly keep predators from my domestic animals" then the choice is pretty clear. It's why, even though I hate the idea of an AWB, I'm happier with just Cook County having one rather than one being instituted state-wide.

Edit: I'll readily admit I felt a hell of a lot safer with an AR if I was sent out to check trail cameras or when we were bridging the creek; there for a couple years we had a mountain lion that'd roam through our property.

And ya never know when the Murphysboro Mud Monster might come back.

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 30, 2018

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
:catstare:

An aside: I think I'll just buy the ARX 100 with a 16" barrel and SBR it later; my projected tax return ought to pay for the base rifle and to start the process to get my C&R license. Only problem with doing a Form 1 instead of a Form 4 would be having to do the engraving on the ARX's polymer chassis, but hell, I'll permanently engrave my name on a gun, even if it is in plastic.

I don't trust Botach well enough to do the NFA process through them, and I also don't figure their sale price will last long enough to get everything started.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't mean to dismiss him out of hand, but that seems isolated in relation to what I'm seeing/hearing about it in general. Those things being "it's cool-ish, it isn't an AR, and Beretta dropped the ball on marketing it properly" with a lot of "it looks like a fish." The polymer chassis construction kind of lends itself to reduced accuracy after the rifle heats up anyway (didn't the G36 have the same issues?), but I'll admit that 6 MOA is trash; I'm still willing to roll the dice on it. Most of what I'm seeing calls it a 2-3 MOA rifle and I'm fine with that. It's gonna be a short range plinker and general "weird gun" unless I end up liking it more than the AR I already own. Plus, I'm seeing them for less than a grand in some places, and I'll drop $900 on one easy.

This is definitely a purchase I'm coming at from a "it looks cool and I want it, even if it's not the best choice" point of view. If it ends up back at $1200 before my refund comes in I'll just get the 92A1 I want instead.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Anyone handle Steyrs' pistols? Opinions?

New generation is out and the previous is floating around $500. Looking at the L40-A1. Thinking about trading off my brazilian .357 before something else breaks on it. Need to burn through the box of rounds I have left first though.

Love the space gun look way too much.

I've got the M357 and they're a fantastic striker pistol. The grip works a lot better for me that a Glock's does and those sights are awesome; the trigger is great as well. Haven't handled the L models but I'd assume they're pretty much identical.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

ar pistols are the dumbest work around the spirit of the law and I hope the ATF grows a pair and sends people to jail

Counterpoint: SBRs being NFA items is dumb as gently caress and AR pistols w/ braces are actually Good as poo poo©

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
poo poo, not even an attempt at working the safety? I agree, that *is* bad parenting.

Pretty quick with a bolt for a 4 year old though.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Eh, that's basically the new trend in naming kids in farm country.

Like how suburbanite moms use way too many Ys in their kid names? Yeah, my friends back in my hometown are just naming their kids after dogs

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The fact that that tweet video meant I heard the name of someone's kid and went "oh, yeah, that was my first car" is pretty hosed up tbh

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Rat posted:

:toot:

The Volquartsen trigger kit makes it a slick 1.5lb break. Kind of mind blowing. The only thing I'm not entirely happy with is the sights. The rear notch is pretty narrow and they're just flat black, not really eye catching. Debating various iron sight options or if I should go whole hog and put a red dot on the railz.

it says "tactical" on the pistol

whole hog is the only option

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yesssssssss

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
McNally, you should always pimp your collection, because it's awesome.

I feel like every time I see your posts about them I learn something new

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DoktorLoken posted:

wait what? How do lasers result in this

"is this thing on?"

*points muzzle at hand*

*squeezes grip and ends up pulling the trigger*

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

https://palladiumboots.com/products/02352-344-m

these are old school french combat boots and they're half off at 35 bucks. I have a pair and its my daily wear with jeans shoe.

I dunno seems like this crowd would like them

These are pretty awesome, just got my pair in a few days ago; they look and wear like boot-soled Chuck Taylor's and that's pretty much exactly what I never knew I wanted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
drat, they must have run out of regular people sized ones then, since mine are size 12s