Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Does that even work? I know you can suppress a Nagant revolver due to it's weird chamber-cylinder sealing mechanism but I wasn't aware of any other revolvers that do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

FYI Brownells has 1,000 rounds of Federal 9mm on sale for $135 after rebate (add a cheap item to get to $200 and use code H7L)

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Deathy McDeath posted:

Link? I couldn't find it

http://www.brownells.com/ammunition...campaign=Itwine

Add the coupon and then Federal has a rebate (listed on Brownells) to get the cost down.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

ReverendCode posted:

Hello new Friend.

new budget build AR, anderson lower, with a PSA upper + lower parts kit, all told came to ~$590 including the light and mount.

How does that light work being mounted so low, unless you're planning to put a VFG on there? I've got the same mount, although reversed. Not that I needed a weaponlight but I had an extra LED and the Magpul mount is cheap:

BCM 14.5" upper (welded on FH), Aimpoint Micro, and an RRA lower with a Geissele G2S trigger.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

You're probably not going to find much agreement in calling to outright ban semi-automatic rifles in 99% of the gun owning community.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Godholio posted:

Raises uncultured paw.

* I'm not 100% opposed, I'd take overturning the Hughes Amendment (1986 ban) and turning the C&R FFL into some sort of blanket gun collector permit (with an obviously stringent background check) that lets you own pretty much anything in a trade for making semi-auto magazine fed rifles into NFA items.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 5, 2017

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Capn Beeb posted:

How easy/hard is it to get a proper cheekweld wearing a mask, anyway?

Also god drat I need to dye my shotgun already, I went out and got electrical tape and everything and it's all just sitting around :downs:

Difficult, but with a CCO the Army gas mask qual is super easy as you don't need a good cheekweld to hit a 50m target repeatedly with a red dot.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

It reminds me of the last time I shot an M4 with NVG and a PEQ-15; my laser for some reason was incredibly dim so I could really barely only see it on the 50m target. This being a familiarization fire towards the end of the night we all had probably 10 magazines to expend so I wound up just shooting the 50m over and over, including using burst mode (until the tower got angry, heh).

If I remember I had like 65 hits on the 50m and 0 on everything else when I got my score card. I'm fairly sure the counter must roll over to 0 at 100 or something.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Force de Fappe posted:

Only rear end in a top hat sergeants insist you can shoot a rifle prone with NVGs on. The geometry doesn't add up, I'd have to loving break my own neck to aim. Standing and kneeling it works out just fine with the Aimpoint when I roll with one monocle on the non-sighting eye.

You don't even need to have your cheek on the weapon to nail targets with a PEQ-15/NVG. That sounds impossibly stupid.

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Yeah prone sucks. No matter how I set up my ACH I could never stop it from sliding down over my forehead with that much weight plus the top of my body armor pushing the helmet forward.

http://www.ops-core.com/head-loc-4-point-x-nape-chinstrap/

I got one of these from RFI, poo poo loving owns in terms of comfort and stability especially with a PVS-14. Night and day compared to the regular issue ACH harness.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 20, 2017

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Godholio posted:

Oh I bet that feels great on the wrist.

How much worse can a full power 10mm be than a .44mag if at all? I've never fired a 10mm so.. :shrug:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I want one of these really bad: https://5280armory.com/ruger-redhawk-44-mag-4-2-05026-new-arvada-co/

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Smiling Jack posted:

I want a revolver in 9mm because it is cool. Love to get one of the Ruger Police Six issued to European Police departments, or the s&w model 537 (look mom! No moon clips!)

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/714800885

Oh man, I had no idea they ever made a 9mm revolver that didn't need moon clips. An Airweight J-Frame with a moonclip-less 9mm cylinder like the 547 would own. Although I doubt it would do anything better than my P290RS which might as well be a revolver with its hilariously long (albeit really smooth) DAO trigger.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 9, 2017

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah but why that when there are a zillion reliable micro 9mm semi-auto pistols? Or even a .380 like an LCP or Kahr.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Smiling Jack posted:

because it's awesome

I mean I carry a G26 as my EDC and my backup at work but a 9mm five shot wheelgun is kinda neat.

I also want a 7 shot .327, the s&w TRR8 and a ton of other dumb poo poo because not everything in my hobby needs a reason.

poo poo one day I will have a Medusa 47.

If it didn't need moonclips it would be 100x more appealing. I guess if I were buying a ridiculous revolver it'd probably be this: https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-pro-series-model-640

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

8 years at the lowest setting is probably how Aimpoint rates it.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

That's... ridiculous. That said, I've got a Geissele G2S in my AR15 which is amazing.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I've got a BCM 14.5" M4A1 upper with a permanent muzzle device. 16" M4 type barrels just look weird.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Why are you complaining about weight of the rail when you've got a non-micro RDS (Aimpoint M2/M3?) on it? And I don't really care what the latest fad in guns/rails is, I just went with what was familiar; an M4 clone (with an Aimpoint Micro) on it.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Pretty sure that's a BB gun?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Internet Wizard posted:

Because an Aimpoint PRO is half of the cost and weight on the muzzle end of the rifle matters a lot more than weight on the middle and back end.

It’s my Daisy Red Rider BB gun.

If you didn't go with a super expensive rail you could've bought an Aimpoint H-1. :smug:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nice, finally the GOP did something that isn't monstrously awful. It would be great if my WI CCW were valid in Illinois.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Speaking of cool crazy guns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-QNc2YmUNE

Has anyone else explored the concept of very quiet sealed cartridges?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I wonder what the legality of a silent sealed cartridge would be under the NFA. It's a neat idea from a technical standpoint for sure though.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

That's a dumb idea and physically I have no idea why it would make the rounds any quieter. You need the gas to expand down the barrel and be dampened by baffles at the end, constructing the bullet in an extra 8mm of brass won't do anything for sound.

Unless what the Russians are saying is that it's a heavier round with a subsonic amount of powder behind it? Which still does nothing for the muzzle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSS_silent_pistol#Cartridge

The powder is behind a piston which propels the bullet; gas doesn't leave the cartridge.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Are you really saying there are zero plausible uses for a compact and nearly silent semi-automatic pistol? Especially by lovely people in the Russian/Soviet governments?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I've worn them in every pair of shoes I own for probably about the last decade. I wear nothing else, including the shittier custom molded orthotics the VA gave me.

Back to gunchat:

What's so lovely about an M4 vs. whatever super fancy free float modern AR rifle? I basically built a BCM M4A1 (14.5" barrel with permanent A2X) clone, albeit with a Geissele G2S trigger and an Aimpoint H-1 instead of a CompM4. It's pretty lightweight, accurate, and I've never had a single malfunction.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 22, 2017

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I get that, but how much does it actually matter when I'm usually shooting stuff at 100-200m?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://www.armsunlimited.com/TASER-X26-Blade-Tech-Holster-USED-p/x26.htm

:science:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

What about the 5.11 pants and moto shirts?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

A DAO Beretta? :thunk:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Woof Blitzer posted:

Ah, you think I paid for it.

Seems like a strange gun to issue these days.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The arm braces are a somewhat of a believable stretch/loophole. Yeah, that one looks ridiculous based on how the law is written.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

It's a suppressor mount. I want a CZ Scorpion pretty bad to scratch my 9mm carbine itch, although I can shoot 5.56 at my local indoor range if I want to blast away with my AR15.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Benchmade/Spyderco if you need a fancy tacticlol locking blade. Otherwise look no further than this: https://www.amazon.com/SWISS-ARMY-Cadet-Multitool-Silver/dp/B076N7W5HM

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Godholio posted:

What the hell makes that $105 pocket knife $95 better than the identical one I've had since probably 2000?

The locking mechanism and blade material. It's nice not chopping your fingers off.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Godholio posted:

I have a $3 knife with the same locking mechanism.

Put it under a lot of stress or hit the back of the blade and see what happens to a $3 liner lock vs. a Spyderco. Idk if they're still made, but Spyderco makes some cheaper knives in China for like $40. Really solid knife that I'm not afraid to lose or break.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Not so much snap as the locks themselves aren't safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzaLhPPNHsA

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Maybe this is something that some of you have experience with, is there a trick to getting an M4 RAS to completely seat on the delta ring/barrel nut? My BCM M4A1 (the heavier profile barrel) has a P&S RAS (same as the KAC, just different manufacturer) that seems to be rock solid, but I can still notice that the delta ring is canted a bit with the top rail half installed which to me says the rail isn't fully seated or something is slightly out of spec.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The screw is in there and tightened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

What's the lowdown on Cook County's AWB, etc. ? What can you actually own in the city of Chicago proper?