Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

I had an AWB era Mini-14. Good gun, but look for ones made after the ban was lifted.

I got a stock made for a older mini-14 with a pistol grip and folder I don't need.

Since I'm a CA refuge I bought both a mini14 and M1a. Love them both. Some day I might pick up an AK of some sort but in States with prohibitive "assault" weapon laws you can't really go wrong with a mini or M1a.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

sky shark posted:

The M1A is a romantic notion that has been obsolete for 50 years or so. It's been superseded by better rifles, like the AR-10. Define what your objectives are for the rifle, and there's a ton of choices to be had. Heck, the civilian version of the SASR is available now.

I would only recommend it to people who don't want to gently caress around with bullet button garbage guns.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

That's pretty slick.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

sky shark posted:

Handguns: Glock, S&W M&P models. Stick with guns popular with police departments, stay away from .40S&W and go with 9mm as modern defensive ammo in 9mm is great and there's a reason why the FBI is switching back from 40 to 9 (more ammo = better than).

AR style rifles: Colt (except their entry level ARs that just came out), FN, Noveske, BCM, Daniel Defense. Look for companies that actually have NSN & military contracts.

Bolt actions: Remington 700 (pick your flavor of 20+ variants), Savage rifles are a great budget option, AI if you are made of megabucks

AK rifles: I used to be an Arsenal fan, but wow are they pricy.

When limited on magazine size (typically 10 rounds) what's your opinion on going with 40 over 9?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

MazelTovCocktail posted:

You can also look into other calibers like 45ACP or 10mm.

Yeah I'm a big fan of Sig and waiting for an all steel p227 model to be available.

I should have included 45 with the other two options.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

sky shark posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot about the Ruger Precision Rifle as a bolt gun. Ruger came up with this budget sniper platform by having their engineers hang out on the SnipersHide forums and mining them for information. By all reports this gun is astounding and it can hit out to something like 1800 yards or something crazy with 6.5 creedmore.

Considering that I can't remember the last time I saw clear terrain past 500 yards, it's not for me, but it's definitely a rifle I'd consider

After that and their scout rifle it feels like they are doing a good job of making guns people want.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Plates are heavy. Got them pretty cheap at work a few years back. Ended up not using them. Still, keep them around. I use a Tactical Tailor plate carrier. I live near their main factory/warehouse and they do great warranty work.

Need to find a new place to go plinking.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Proud Christian Mom posted:

how do you like your SOCOM 16?

I enjoy shooting it. It's a handy size compared to my first rifle a M1.
On the other hand I bought it as a CA resident and compared to some flavor of AR I wouldn't recommend it. AR are simply better all across the board in states where you can buy them without compromise. Except maybe if you really really don't like pistol grips on your rifle.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

sky shark posted:

Shotguns are terrible for home defense. Shotguns are heavy, have punishing recoil, and every pellet you send downrange is a potential lawsuit. "You can't miss with a shotgun!" is bullshit - Shotgun spread depends on the type of barrel you have, but typically is somewhere between .5" to 1" per yard of travel. Look at the furthest point you could conceivably shoot from / to inside your house and credibly say your life was in danger. Typically that's going to be an interior hallway, maybe some 20 feet away. Your shotgun pellet spread will be roughly 3.5-7", which is plenty of opportunities for 00 or 000 pellets to miss. Making it worse, your average Remington 870 / Mossberg 590 comes with a lovely little brass bead front sight, and no rear sight. You can spend more for a HD shotgun that has ghost rings or a 1913 rail for optics, but at that point you definitely should have bought a rifle.

Operating a shotgun is something that takes a lot of training and practice to do effectively. I don't know what your level of skill is; you could have been breaching all day, or running around with a M1014 in Iraq or something, but for most people, they are not willing to invest in the time & practice to become proficient. The pump action is incredibly easy to get stress induced malfunctions, with the most common being "short stroking" - leaving your shotgun inop.

Finally the Walmart special is going to be probably 3+1 or maybe 6+1 if you get an extended mag. Many home invasions have 3+ intruders, typically armed themselves, who will be firing back at you. A "click" when you want "bang" is not a good thing. Reloading a shotgun under stress is not easy either.

The shotgun has been romanticized in movies & TVs with the iconic "clack-clack" to let the viewer know that poo poo's about to get real. That's Hollywood. The reality is that they are long, heavy, cumbersome and not great for people who aren't experienced with them. If you are willing to get trained up, be my guest. Make sure that your wife / significant other can run it as well, and ask her what she prefers afterward - the AR or the shotty.

Shotguns have their purposes. I'm considering buying one of these for a "truck gun" because there's times where a 14" barrel comes in real handy - https://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590-shockwave/

My first choice for people in my house will always be a rifle.

I got my 590a1 all sharp and pokey and ready to rock. I did go through a fair amount of training and enjoy it but yeah it's a heavy beast but I like the idea of having a combination gun, spear and club.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Wow ARs are too fuckin expensive. Guess I'll be using sticks and stones.

Bought my 590a1 used for $220. Never had a breakdown and never did anything more than a cursory cleaning. Put at least a thousand rounds through it since 2006.

Lol it weighs 9.8 pounds fully loaded.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Pesticide20 posted:

Looking for some pistol recommendations at the moment. I have a Sig P229 chambered for .40 S&W, but I'm thinking of getting something a little larger. Suggestions?

P227?
I'm just waiting for an all stainless one myself.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Arc Light posted:

I thought for sure somebody in GiP posted about this a while back, but I can't dig up the post. Has anybody ever owned an Inland Mfg M1 Carbine? They look poo poo hot, but I always prefer personal anecdotes over paid reviews.

https://www.inland-mfg.com/assets/images/2016%20Flyer.pdf

Well it's not the original company for one. Two those are practically as much as an original.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I hear you guys like 4 inches.

357 club checking in.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Anything over the lug is a waste. :colbert:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Proud Christian Mom posted:

i thought yall got to keep the gun if you killed someone with it

No, that's scalps*.

*SEALS only.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Tractor Supply is pretty good.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

The generation 2 allegedly has better triggers, and frankly, if you want to own this masterpiece:

or the drug lord gun from a 90s film set in 2030,

...who am I to get in your way?

Now, on the other hand, the nice thing about collecting firearms is that there are a huge number of designs that tried out absolutely nuts operating principles over the years, so there are lots to pick from if you are a fan of unreasonable engineering choices.

They dont look comfy at all to hold.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

sky shark posted:

I can understand the argument for additional regulations on machineguns and actual destructive devices like mortars, RPGs and other explosives. Not saying I agree with the argument, but I can understand it.

Silencers though? People need to understand that silencers wound up being restricted because the NFA was done in the Great Depression & people were poaching because it was either illegally shoot a deer or your family starves.

I dont think poaching will go away ever. If they make it that easier they had to ban them back in the day where there was that much more wildlife it must of been pretty bad.

poo poo now my views on suppressors are interlocked with EBT benefits. NO FOOD STAMPS? NO SUPPRESSORS!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Bought a P226 in .40 today. Now waiting ten days.

Great full sized handgun. Love mine dearly.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

sky shark posted:

Make sure you break your SIG in. It took around 750 rounds for my .40 226R Elite to lock back on an empty mag.

Isn't that suppose to happen at the end of a guns life?

My .40 226R SS has been flawless since I got it in 2007. Though I've really slowed down shooting it since 2010 due to kids and service.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Would have drove me crazy within the first couple hundred rounds.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Arc Light posted:

My duty shotgun (Remington 870 Police Magnum) came in today, but I won't be able to get to the range to play with it for a week. :(

I hate it when the tube sticks out further than the barrel. Just looks off. Otherwise I see fun in your future enjoy!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah I found out that owning body armor is a felony in CT unless you're active law enforcement or military.

Still thinking of setting up an NFA trust beween me, my sister, and my dad spreading the legal question to three different states.

What about armed guards/armored car?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The Rat posted:

Luckily I don't have that problem, so I can buy all the silly gun stuff I want. :smug:

:smithicide:

Your chickens love you.

Until you die and stop feeding them.

Then you are dinner.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mike-o posted:

Rat you're a cool dude and I'd love to hang out with you sometime and Miso Beno. We all need to go shoot guns if you're ever up in Washington.

I'll shoot. Havent been shootin' since I got up to this watery state.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

If he chews your balls off, I'll understand.

Love his coat.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The Rat, can you smell your chicken coop anymore?
Trying to trouble shoot how she wasn't impressed by all that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Pretty ballsy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Really doing himself a disservice ignoring revolvers. A 357 would be bare minimum suitable.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Pesticide20 posted:

I think you mean that .357 is a bear necessity

Oh goddamn it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Some guys walk into chicks doing topless selfies, this poor guy gets you with your Waldo out.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Capn Beeb posted:

I've got an OKC3S on my A1 that should fit a regular 590

:ese:

Any old m16 surplus bayonet is fine. I've stabbed car doors with it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The Rat posted:

I got bored today and did this to my spare OD green G34.

Behold, Bloodglock Mk2.

This is great but I hope to God you never have to kill anyone with that and go to trial.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

INNOCENCE PROVES NOTHING

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ElMaligno posted:

Found a Mossberg 590 on sale. Guess who has one now.

Time for a stabby accessory!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

BigDave posted:

Is that a kill count carved on the stock? :stare:

Man I love that configuration.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Just stuff to break when you run out of rounds and have to resort to beating the bad Nazi thoughts out of the enemy's skull.

I got to fire a stick off one owned by the Vallejo pd many years ago. Woo!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I got a cordless and a corded drill because sometimes you need more torque but a hammer drill is overkill.

Compound miter saw, cordless compound saw and jigsaw make my life complete.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I really like that full length forestock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Capn Beeb posted:

You could put it on the sling, like so:

Is dying the furniture on my 590 purple and putting Slaanesh iconography on it ok though :ohdear:

Where you gonna mount one bomb rear end titty?