Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

So I was watching No Country for Old Men today, and during the famous friendo coin toss scene, I couldn't help but notice behind Chigurh was a big display of Jacks Links beef jerky that obviously would not have been around in 1980. It kind of annoyed me that they would go to that much work to have the shop full of old stuff and then put that in a prominent position.

I started thinking about other times that has happened and I remembered a scene from the last season of Better Call Saul. It was supposed to be 1973 and it looked like everything in the store was dated properly except for these cans of corn in a prominent position in a shot that held for several seconds. The Psst brand from Kroger is quite new, absolutely would not have been around in 1973.

Anyone have any other examples they remember? Especially ones where it's just one drat product ruining all of the other hard work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

brad pitt was in 12 years a slave but he wouldn't even be born for like 150 years

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
The Indian head baking powder in the shining is the true star of the movie.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Marty McFly orders a Tab in 1955 but that drink doesn't exist yet

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
I don't like how in Star Wars the Death Star's tractor beam controls are in English, which would not have been around a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Friginator posted:

I don't like how in Star Wars the Death Star's tractor beam controls are in English, which would not have been around a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

George Lucas fixed this in the special edition

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
There was a NUMMI era Chevrolet Nova in Stranger Things. What terrible production values! (Somebody actually said this).

X-Files had a Canadian only car in an opening scene that was supposed to be set in the U.S.

Psych's main car was a Toyota Echo hatch that wasn't sold in the U.S. because it didn't meet our safety standards. It's supposed to be set in Santa Barbara, California.

In other words, I care about cars,

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Friginator posted:

that language is called galactic basic standard or basic for short in star wars cause the white man rules the whole universe. fuckwad.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQYwFND7rHE

technically this is set in the recent past

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
sometimes in mad men it seems the cutty sark and jameson labels appear identical to the labels on those bottles today but maybe the companies have kept those labels for this long idk

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Mad Men was so anal about it I don't think there are any big things. I believe there are some small things, like some labels are off by a couple years or something, but I think in the case of them using current bottles it probably is the same design, and I think they do put the little tax stamp thing on all of the bottle's near the cap.

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
I don't like how in the first Captain America movie, which was set in Europe during World War II, Marvel decided to give the evil HYDRA henchman a vending machine full of delicious modern-day American snack treats, many of which are easily identifiable and would not have been around in the 1940s.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

OctoberBlues posted:

Mad Men was so anal about it I don't think there are any big things. I believe there are some small things, like some labels are off by a couple years or something, but I think in the case of them using current bottles it probably is the same design, and I think they do put the little tax stamp thing on all of the bottle's near the cap.

that is one difference, liquor bottles on the show have a red band sealing the cap to the neck.

mad men is very attentive to being time-specific but some of their song and type decisions are out of place, and probably a bunch of other stuff nobody would ever notice

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

OctoberBlues posted:

I think in the case of them using current bottles it probably is the same design, and I think they do put the little tax stamp thing on all of the bottle's near the cap.

:thejoke:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Friginator posted:

I don't like how in the first Captain America movie, which was set in Europe during World War II, Marvel decided to give the evil HYDRA henchman a vending machine full of delicious modern-day American snack treats, many of which are easily identifiable and would not have been around in the 1940s.

Hail Habaņero Ranch!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I don't understand, Toadvine wasn't joking?

Anyway, that Captain America one is a great example.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
"Fresh Off the Boat" is a TV show that takes place in 1995, and there was a whole episode where the main character is so psyched because he got to meet one of his favorite rappers, DMX. Nobody knew who the hell DMX was until 1998, and he had literally one barely-released single that went nowhere before that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

OctoberBlues posted:

It's weird that they were that particular about getting period details right but had gay characters, when homosexuality wasn't invented until well into the 70s.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Eddie is so cool he knew about DMX before he was famous

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

OctoberBlues posted:

I don't understand, Toadvine wasn't joking?

Anyway, that Captain America one is a great example.

they've always had those labels i dunno man get your poo poo together just get it all together

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The only thing that ruins movies more than 555 phone numbers

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Ever notice how in X-Men First Class it's supposed to be the 70's, but nobody dresses or decorates like it's really the 70's? It's like some style-sanitized 00's version of the 70's that's been scrubbed of all horrible colors and styles to as to be palatable to modern audiences.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

The only thing that ruins movies more than 555 phone numbers

I was reading something a while back about how they're damned if they do, damned if they don't with that now. If you hear a 555 number, you roll your eyes and think "geez, movies" but if you hear what sounds like a real number it also takes you out of the movie and you think "wow, they didn't use a 555 number!"

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

OctoberBlues posted:

I was reading something a while back about how they're damned if they do, damned if they don't with that now. If you hear a 555 number, you roll your eyes and think "geez, movies" but if you hear what sounds like a real number it also takes you out of the movie and you think "wow, they didn't use a 555 number!"

They should try 556 next time maybe?

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Some movies have real numbers that lead to studio owned voicemails with cute Easter egg recordings. I think breaking bad did this a few times

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

Toadvine posted:

sometimes in mad men it seems the cutty sark and jameson labels appear identical to the labels on those bottles today but maybe the companies have kept those labels for this long idk

I've only noticed that don drank modern miller high life bottles... which have probably remained the same or similar

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

500 bad things posted:

They should try 556 next time maybe?

People who care that much should try 5.56

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

OctoberBlues posted:

The worst of both worlds is when you see KL5 in a movie or TV show. No one has used that in 50 years so it's jarring as hell. Not to mention it's just 555 so why not just say 555? Do they think it's going to trick people into it not looking like a fake number or something?

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Ever notice how in X-Men First Class it's supposed to be the 70's, but nobody dresses or decorates like it's really the 70's? It's like some style-sanitized 00's version of the 70's that's been scrubbed of all horrible colors and styles to as to be palatable to modern audiences.

I thought it was set in the 50s/60s though? :goonsay:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The worst of both worlds is when you see KL5 in a movie or TV show. No one has used that in 50 years so it's jarring as hell. Not to mention it's just 555 so why not just say 555? Do they think it's going to trick people into it not looking like a fake number or something?

Saying Klondike 5 out loud is pretty funny tho. Was that a Futurama bit?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

In Hurt Locker, Hurty's friend is playing Gears of War on an Xbox 360. The scene is set in 2004, but the 360 didn't come out until 2005 and Gears wasn't out until 2006. Blew up my immersion completely.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Jolo posted:

In Hurt Locker, Hurty's friend is playing Gears of War on an Xbox 360. The scene is set in 2004, but the 360 didn't come out until 2005 and Gears wasn't out until 2006. Blew up my immersion completely.

Oh, I think Breaking Bad had a couple of video game things like that and when people complained Vince Gilligan basically told them to suck it, lol.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Jolo posted:

The shark in Jaws wasn't real :ssh:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

...and the pitch! posted:

Saying Klondike 5 out loud is pretty funny tho. Was that a Futurama bit?

Not a Futurama thing. It's actually how people used to give out their phone numbers back in like the 50s.

Lots of TV shows used to say Klondike.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

brad pitt was in 12 years a slave but he wouldn't even be born for like 150 years

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Not a Futurama thing. It's actually how people used to give out their phone numbers back in like the 50s.

Lots of TV shows used to say Klondike.

Wasn't it earlier? I love Archie Goodwin novels.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
Doctor President is set in the 1960s yet there are several scenes where cars can be seen driving in the background. OOPS LOL

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Hector Beerlioz posted:

The shark in Jaws wasn't real :ssh:

True, but Jaws was based on a true story about an actual shark named Bitey Jr that tormented actor Richard Dreyfuss at his local swimming hole.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
They had modern pop music in Shrek, which takes place in Medieval times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I am just posting to see the last post because SA is doing that weird not loading thing.

edit: That wasn't worth it at all!!

• Locked thread