Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

CommissarMega posted:

Exit Fate came out years ago and I've yet to find an RPGMaker game to match it.

I was gonna come in here and school you by saying Last Scenario but it's by the same guy so... Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Radio Paranoia posted:

If Epic's storefront has even one dude casually flipping a "yep" / "nope" coin, it will be better than whatever Steam is doing right now. I really hope that competition encourages Steam to actually introduce some level of moderation.

If they seriously have PC exclusivity for SuperGiant Games, I'm totally in. That Ashen game looks pretty rad too.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Not unless you want to go to one of those crack sites full of viruses and spyware. Just get them Bad Rats again like everyone else

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

FoolyCharged posted:

The line seems to be drawn at the nebulous point of, "May get valve in legal trouble"

What amazes me is that they don't even seem to care about their own IP at this point, seeing as Hunt Down the Freeman is a loving PAID PRODUCT: https://store.steampowered.com/app/723390/Hunt_Down_The_Freeman/

Like, how does that happen? Do they just not care at all about Half-Life anymore?

Ah. Nevermind. Don't answer that.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zereth posted:

Wait I thought this got removed? What is it doing back on here?

You'd think so, huh? But there it is, a big shining monument to how Valve A) does not give a poo poo and B) is no longer a company that makes video games.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

FirstAidKite posted:

Remember that Gabe Newell Simulator is still on steam too

Yep apparently the lesson they took from Hatred and Greenlight was to never curate anything again ever.

...Or maybe it's the fact that the people who would be working on stuff like game curation (or making games) on Steam don't get the sweet, sweet bonuses that the people working on stuff like endless CSGO micro transactions get under Valve's system so no one wants to work on them.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Can we post about non-Steam games here? I really want to know who the gently caress Gilson B. Pontes is and how he keeps getting his games on the PS4 store:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/solbrain-knight-of-darkness
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/sword-of-fortress-the-onomuzim
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/spear-of-destiny-the-kaiseki
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/samael-the-legacy-of-ophiuchus

Same with Dragoon Entertainment, which is the same guy that made Demon Rush ( https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2913491):

https://www.metacritic.com/company/dragoon-entertainment-ltd

Just... How? Are they nephews of someone at PSNA? Are they holding someone hostage? Do they have mafia connections? HOW?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Does steam really have so little quality control

Yes, if by little you mean "none". That's what Steam Direct is - they gave a non-system with no one at the helm a name.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's really Diaper Quest 2055: https://store.steampowered.com/app/976830/Diaper_Quest_2055/

Sadly it couldn't even do anything funny with it, it's just more stock RPG Maker assets.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The weirdest thing is that it doesn't have any terrible fetish poo poo in the showcase video or any of the screenshots.

That would require doing any work at all instead of using the RPG maker stock assets. It's not a fetish thing, it's just banking on people buying it as a gag gift based on the title alone.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh my god this whole time I thought Alex was a side character and it was pretty eye-rolly that the creator inserted himself in the game as a party member but holy gently caress he's the main character

Also kind of annoying that all the reviews are ragging on the bad gameplay and have very little to say about the vile characters.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I liked it when Earthbound didn't declare it was a philosophical game on its face and let unsuspecting kids just enjoy it as a goofy, quirky game, but under the hood it was written by a modern day philosopher and had a very upbeat message after a very dark journey.

I don't like it when a supposed spiritual Earthbound successor calls itself philosophical in the subtitle. Talk about missing the point.

(I'm referring to YIIK here, not Undertale, if that's not clear.)

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 30, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah I have no problem with subtitles in general, it's just a bit foreboding when any property really wants to tell you how, like, totally deep it is in the title.

Really Pants posted:

"The Friendly RPG Where Nobody Has To Die," but only in its Steam Store trailer.

I think that was the original Kickstarter concept, but as time went on Toby decided to just let the game speak for itself, especially as the theme of the game really became about player choice, so giving it that subtitle would kind of lock players into thinking they should be going the pacifist route or else they're doing it wrong. Which is technically true, but the point of the game is to teach you that by letting you make the "wrong" choice.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 28, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SelenicMartian posted:

Spec Ops: Just loving Turn Back.

Undertale is basically Spec Ops where you can turn back, if you think about it

Anyway for THREAD CONTENT, fun SA-adjacent podcast Extra Credit did an episode where they read from summaries and reviews of awful hentai visual novels:

https://thefmin.us/get-your-head-in-the-game/

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Whatever you think of it it does not belong in this thread

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

kirbysuperstar posted:

You know, if "Grade 9 Games" is actually someone who is 15 or whatever, then good fuckin' on 'em. I know I made a lot of Klik & Play/Games Factory projects when I was at that age that probably looked and played a lot worse.

Serious question - has anyone ever managed to get an actual, literal Klik & Play game on Steam? I know they showed up on a lot of those "100 games on 1 disc!!!!!" compilations you would find for $5 at CompUSA.

Flannelette posted:

I want to know what this is

There's this game I don't know if its actually bad but I just liked the 2nd last screenshot
https://store.steampowered.com/app/861860/Doctor_Tsunami/

:stare:

is

is this outsider art

quote:

Doctor Tsunami is a Retro Style Action Game, Featuring a compelling storyline, full of various characters and surprising twists. All artwork was created using exclusively MS Paint. Huge waves are destroying the island nation of Popoy. You must survive and stop the evil scientist Dr. Tsunami!

It's a selling point!

Edit: avatar size

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 30, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Jamfrost posted:

Definitely check out the second trailer video (the one with the plot): https://store.steampowered.com/app/993330/ISLAND_404/

Ah, so that's where Duke Nukem has been.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

MDickie did it better.

This one looked surprisingly ambitious until I realized it was just a bunch of asset flip levels with literally no changes. Worth watching the trailer for the wild west town where all you do is shoot chickens, and all you do in the ocean level is knife jellyfish (because those were the only enemies programmed into the stock assets).

Also:

quote:

The other stages of our project, which we continue to develop as an indie team, will be with you in the forthcoming years as books, series, movies, and animation.

Uh huh. Sure.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I love how he seems to be sledding around on his cape. It's even better when he crouches.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Deadguy2322 posted:

Or set it in a Community College. Those are pretty much High School Part 2.

It suddenly occurs to me that while like every other anime is set in high school, I can't think of a single one offhand that takes place in college. Maybe it's because they're so famously hard to get into?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

There are some but the ones set in schools tend to be aimed at school kids so it’s like how a lot of teen programing tends to be based in school life

You do something the main audience can relate to

I just automatically assume all anime is squarely aimed at unemployed men in their 20s with disposable income to spend on figurines

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Kanfy posted:

I think more women than you might expect would have a thing or two to say about that one.

I'm mostly joking, but for a distressing amount of modern anime my previous post actually is true :/

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

David D. Davidson posted:

Fun Berserk fact: The Band of the Hawk are all based on people Miura knew in high school. Yes that includes Griffth and Casca.

That makes a lot of sense, the characters from that arc of the comic are much more believable and grounded than the parade of tropes in the rest.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Too Shy Guy posted:

Someone decided to put Steam's hands-off curation to the test: RAPE DAY

Let me save you a click:

I clicked anyway and, well, I think this is the weirdest game update I've ever read

quote:

Recent Updates
FEB 23 @ 6:33PM - DESK LAMP
Baby Killing Scene (SPOILERS)

A steam user posted a pretty good you-tube video about this game to the discussion forums here. He makes some good points. Among other things the you-tuber expressed concern about the baby killing scene, as possible being classified as "child exploitation".

Since no one has played the game yet, I thought I'd give a little description of the scene and my thought process here, for that specific scene. The scene is relatively minor to the story and optional depending on your choices.

Originally I had the zombie character holding a baby, because I thought it would be interesting, and I’ve seen this in other zombie stories. However, this presented a bit of a problem, because it is illegal to render a underage character in the presence of anything with sex or that is sexual. For this reason, the baby had to be removed before anything sexual could happen.

Realistically, it's not exactly just going to crawl away... so in the first draft of the story I was going to have the main character punt it out of the scene, but I’m not really sure how far you can kick a baby, so I settled on him running really far away and then drowning it and then coming back. To be extra safe I have him mash it up into pulp so it’s not really even a baby anymore. This however is not shown only described. I don’t particularly like blood, gore, bruising, scratches, etc. so none of this is shown in the game.

But anyways, I now realize my game highly offends some people so if it doesn't get approved for that reason I'll make it available from my website, and then still kick off the normal marketing plan that I had for the game, which I haven't started yet.

UPDATE 2/27/2019:

After consulting with the forums... some forums... somewhere... I've decided it's necessary to remove this scene.

While it doesn't actually qualify as "child exploitation", the vagueness in this term is enough for a banning campaign to be waged against my game for just this scene alone.

I do apologize to any one who wanted to see this scene. I'll do my best not to water this game down too much, and not make it like every other boring dreary monotonous slow moving visual novel.

:stare:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Kanfy posted:

...or aren't logged in.

We go through this every time a NSFW game is posted on here. Read the page error message people, and keep in mind Valve basically NEVER deletes anything anymore. If they delete this one you'll hear about it right away because this edgelord-developed Powerpoint presentation is currently the greatest showdown of social values in gaming.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

VideoGameVet posted:

I apply for stuff all the time. I had some interviews to be the CTO of an (in)famous MMO company in San Diego that really needs a turn-around, but my guess is since MMO's are the one type of game I haven't worked on, they passed. That was Oct. and they still haven't found someone nuts enough to take that job.

If you're talking about who I'm thinking you're talking about, good move, as they just delayed a flagship IP's new battle royale version 2 months, which gave perfect timing for Apex Legends to come out of nowhere and eat its non-existent lunch. Not that they could have seen it coming (no one did) but it's still funny.

... Although I'd still take a job there in an instant, as I'm in San Diego, but I'm just in HR so it's a different much more low-stakes ballgame for me.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 5, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

My hot take is that I absolutely want it to come out ASAP because Steam can't throw itself down the garbage disposal fast enough for me and any speeding up of that process is welcome

Edit: Kotaku has covered it now: https://kotaku.com/the-latest-steam-game-to-test-valves-laissez-faire-poli-1833074558

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 5, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lodin posted:

I still think it's pretty telling about Valve in 2019 that nobody there has gone "holy poo poo, we need to purge this thing right now and give a wet fart of an apology. Instead some poor bastard (probably in India) has to sit there and suffer the trash.

Given Valve's company structure, the fact that nobody wants to make the decision means no one will do it at all. When you can choose what you work on, you'll always choose what makes you bonuses, and in Valve's case that means pumping out more skins for DotA2 and CS:GO.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Double Punctuation posted:

But it is straight-up trolling. Nobody who knows better is going to play that poo poo.

Lodin posted:

Alternately it could be someone trying to prove a point. Come up with the most horrendous game imaginable, slap together some Poser-images and dump it on Steam.
Valve just leaning back and letting out a wet fart kinda proves how useless their new system is.

It's pretty clearly both. The guy who made it will win just as hard if it gets deleted or if it actually gets released. Moreso if it gets deleted, probably.

Valve's best move is to let it languish forever in the approval stage like they do with many other AO games.

VideoGameVet posted:

Yep them. And in a crazy coincidence, one of my co-workers from Activision ran that company when it was part of a large Japanese corporation. Our kids went to the same school too.

Not a huge coincidence if you live in San Diego. Like a third of my friends did QA and GM stints there just out of high school (gently caress it, we're talking about SOE/Daybreak, let's just say it) and I still know a few people who work there in IT and QA.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 6, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah it's gotta be rough for them right now, they're mostly known for H1Z1 at the moment, and it... Well, it's H1Z1.

The age of the big-budget MMO is over and they're a company specialized in MMOs. Everything they're doing lately is just chasing trends - Planetside Arena is practically guaranteed to be DOA unless it's hiding something really special and new.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'd contend the age of big budget MMOs was post-UO and pre-WoW when EQ and a handful of others had a captive audience. WoW coming out was the death of that age, although it took a few years before all the big studios realized they weren't fighting over the whole pie, but just what was left over after Blizzard's giant bite.

Now we're hitting a post-MMO age where devs have realized you can extract the good, fun parts of MMOs without needing the actual MMO chaff, and you get things like battle royales and live service games like Destiny. To me, Guild Wars was the first to really hit upon this when it created a fully instanced game that pretty much delivered the same experience as playing an MMO.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 6, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Too Shy Guy posted:

And it's gone. Come for the vague, mealy-mouthed rationale, stay for the awful comments saying exactly what you're expecting.

Vague and mealy-mouthed? I dunno, this is pretty straight forward:

We then have to make a judgement call about any risk it puts to Valve, our developer partners, or our customers. After significant fact-finding and discussion, we think 'Rape Day' poses unknown costs and risks and therefore won't be on Steam.

We respect developers’ desire to express themselves, and the purpose of Steam is to help developers find an audience, but this developer has chosen content matter and a way of representing it that makes it very difficult for us to help them do that.

Consider me impressed. Valve came out of its hole actually did the right thing.

Of course it's stupid it was ever listed in their game directory to begin with, but that's the house they built.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 6, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Too Shy Guy posted:

The problem is that it doesn't point to anything concrete that made them pull it. They didn't cite any rules it broke, or make up any new ones, they basically just said they didn't like it. It does nothing to stop more games like this getting on to Steam, nothing to address similarly objectionable games already on Steam, and nothing to draw any lines between different forms of objectionable content.

The message I'm getting from this is that it's still open season on Steam unless Kotaku or Polygon write a piece about it.

Yeah, fair enough. They did the right thing this time, for the right reasons, but they still kicked the can down the road again. Greenlight was flawed, but Steam Direct is just a Bad Idea all around and it's only going to get worse.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

There's been signs of some sort of perverse ultracapitalism lurking behind the flat office structure at valve. Wish I could find the insider quotes about 'Generating value", but it's late o'clock.

It's not really a secret. The system they designed hands out bonuses to employees for shipping content that makes profit, and most employees figured out if you make skins for DotA2 and CS:GO (and similar) you make a ton of bonuses. They are absolutely de-incentiviced to ever make a large game like HL3 or improve Steam in any way (aside from getting more games sold on Steam).

That's why HL3, Portal 3, TF3, and L4D3 will never happen. Because it will take a few years to develop and in the meantime the team making it will watch all their coworkers who chose to do easier, more lucrative work rolling in the dough month after month.

The fact that Artifact failed will probably cement this, if the very public HL3 debacle didn't already.

I remember that article too, if anyone has it please post it.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 7, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I've pretty much done a 180 on my initial thought on Valve's response, it was a bad statement that established nothing and leaves the door wide open. They're afraid of offending anyone, and that includes the free-speech absolutists. And that direction leads to 8chan.

This article does a good job of summing it up better than I can: GamesIndustry.biz - Steam is in the rape fantasy business

This is the business Valve has chosen. If they actually ever want to make games again they really need to spin off the Steam section of their company as a more traditionally-structured company, because the job they've done so far of responding to these issues and building infrastructure for game approval just isn't doing the job. Too bad this lack of curation is also making them money by the truckload, so we'll likely never see a big budget Valve game again, despite those transparent interviews a few Valve employees gave last year pleading with people to believe they're still making things.

But we all know where this is going. New EA games are off Steam on Origin now. Epic made the Fortnite client into its own Steam. Ubisoft still releases stuff on Steam, but makes you go through Uplay, and you just KNOW they're raring to cut out the middleman too. Blizzard has had Battle.net for a while. I think GOG has a client too, right? Yes, they're all bad now, but Steam was pretty bad once. A few more scandals like this, some more time and development, and Steam will no longer be the only game in town.

Here's some good quotes from an ex-Valve guy in a Twitter thread started by Tim Schafer:

https://twitter.com/richgel999/status/1103498360206417921
https://twitter.com/richgel999/status/1103500976084869120
https://twitter.com/richgel999/status/1103504372778991617
https://twitter.com/richgel999/status/1103508299603832834
https://twitter.com/richgel999/status/1103510456881176576

I don't know if I entirely agree with "thank the gaming gods for Epic" but I am very glad to see SOME sort of real competition to Steam, even if tepidly at this point.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 7, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I think people are mostly banking on the profitability of Fortnite fueling the eventual development of the store as well as Epic's willingness to secure indie games and exclusives. Steam sucked at first too.

...Not that I'm saying it WILL get better, Epic could absolutely drop the ball on that front. But the fact someone is actually trying to complete directly with Steam is a good thing, and Epic has the clout to do it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I would NOT go that far. Origin is hot trash and Apex Legends is the only reason people actually have to deal with it now. Steam may be overloaded with garbage but it's at least functional.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh yeah, that's another big selling point for Epic. The store/Dev profit split is much more favorable for the developer there.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm just saying that's one more tool they are using to lure publishers/devs away from Steam, whether or not it's successful yet (or at all). The devs of World War Z directly referenced in a press release, so they're clearly pushing it as a marketing point: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/news/wwz-price-drop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Pretty sure this is the bad games thread and not D&D.