Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
posters: the dsa is embarassing
jarofpiss: you dont know what youre talking about. the dsa is embarassing and failing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

jarofpiss posted:

this clusterfuck of a committee is consistently self admitting to negotiating in bad faith with the union, committing numerous nlrb violations, and somehow thinks this isn’t going to bite them.

co-chair loving crying on twitter about how hard this has been for her. outrageous. it looks like the plan is to bust the union to gut staff and give jobs for their caucus deep state friends
ok but then why is this wrong?

fermun posted:

it's been very funny how hard the dsa staff union is fighting for the jobs of the non-union managerial staff in this layoff negotiation process. they're not union members!

jarofpiss posted:

i dont think you know what youre talking about here
why wouldn't you just say nah the dsa union is not fighting for managerial positions instead? seems like a simpler answer than trying to do holier thou drama

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

khazar sansculotte posted:

At 3,744 hours a year, $180k is about $48/hour, which incidentally is about what a kindergarten teacher where I live makes per hour if they have an MA and 7 years of experience.

The "National Grievance Officer" was definitely making about $360k an hour though.

Yeah that's very roughly what they make here tbf, I think I just skipped over the 12 hours part. Is a MA typical for kindergarten teachers where you are? Seems wildly excessive.

jarofpiss posted:

literally the sort of infrastructural poo poo you need if you want to be anything more than a local book club.
it looks like the plan is to bust the union to gut staff and give jobs for their caucus deep state friends
like i am constantly thinking back on union meetings when i was a teamster and contrasting it with the sort of poo poo the self proclaimed left gets up to and it’s incredible. we are doomed.
and this thread is just a spectacle for this reactionary cesspool to jack off to drama in.

This seems important to you so I will be serious for a moment, this sort of thing is basically inevitable with an org like the dsa. It is too tied to the Democrat party to ever be an actual left group. It is a relatively mainstream American liberal political organization. That makes it a fundamentally reactionary group.

The infrastructure you are talking about will never be used to fight the American state. The purpose of the DSA is to become a part of that state. It is like trying to change nazi Germany from within. You might get better work conditions for the people delivering the treats to the people making the bombs, but the organization is fundamentally unable to address the real problem.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

War and Pieces posted:

our brake light guy got arrested for beating his wife

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

lol jesus christ

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
it seems like the issue is the NPC, maybe instead of electing new leadership every 2 years we could pay the grievance officer half a million dollars a year and let them sort out what the best course of action is

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

The person trying to recruit me to join the budget committee was told that the reason there are so many "directors" in DSA is so they could give those people raises without having to bargain it with the staff union lol.

Weka posted:

Yeah that's very roughly what they make here tbf, I think I just skipped over the 12 hours part. Is a MA typical for kindergarten teachers where you are? Seems wildly excessive.

No idea, I just looked up their salary schedule and that's what was closest to $48/hr. A teacher with 11 years of experience who quit as soon as they got their BA would make around the same.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

being a staff ik is probably way more demanding than being the grievance officer

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

When I was still paying dues I had a lot of meetings with the grievance officer (my posts were too perfect and the haters/losers got upset)

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
All this drama has me thinking that maybe it's best if leftists weren't to join this Harringtonite sheepdog org, due to its bad accounting policies.

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

jarofpiss posted:

DSA is not a staff led organization. staff doesn’t lead anything. staff provides infrastructure, training, and support for membership to campaigns. i hear what the staff organizers do all day long and the vast majority is training for chapter leadership. also providing direction to try and help keep the amateur chapter membership from violating election law or creating other legal issues for themselves and the org at large. giving them access to national infrastructure, getting them set up with communication lists, helping them work through the process of getting bank accounts, dues share, and when they’re established doing trainings for their local campaigns, putting them in touch with resources for larger national campaigns, etc. membership has dropped and the current proposal leaves the remaining organizers with over 80 chapters each

literally the sort of infrastructural poo poo you need if you want to be anything more than a local book club.

gutting this just reflects the complete baby brain lack of perspective these loving internet posers have about this org.

the majority NPC appears to want to dismantle the existing staff union infrastructure so they can direct funds toward their caucus dictated priorities like preserving the health insurance and paid salaries for the 1099 independent contractor npc co-chairs. its loving starve the beast conservatism in action

co chairs on an npc that can’t seem to produce a budget with actual numbers on it and instead want to drive ahead with firing 8 people (approx 4 more than required to hit their previously requested budget deficit). no target budget number presented in negotiations. these are not professionals in any sense of the word, they are literally just moron internet brains.

this clusterfuck of a committee is consistently self admitting to negotiating in bad faith with the union, committing numerous nlrb violations, and somehow thinks this isn’t going to bite them.

co-chair loving crying on twitter about how hard this has been for her. outrageous. it looks like the plan is to bust the union to gut staff and give jobs for their caucus deep state friends

like i am constantly thinking back on union meetings when i was a teamster and contrasting it with the sort of poo poo the self proclaimed left gets up to and it’s incredible. we are doomed.

i’m trying to imagine if i had a job where different people with zero competence or understanding of my industry got to come in every two years and make a bunch of proclamations and then were tasked with trying to balance a budget (but also they dont know how to count past 10 with their shoes on). loving depressing.

not to say that the cspam internet communists dont have a lot of great advice to give in this thread, but fermun you dont know what youre talking about and this thread is just a spectacle for this reactionary cesspool to jack off to drama in.

maybe don’t post like you know how any of this poo poo has gone or have any sort of valuable perspective to add, unless youre gonna leak new behind the scenes caucus deep state chats?

breaking from the thread/forum trend and being serious for a bit:

there are core problems to DSA that no one can just pull up a line item budget see where money is going, and projections for what poo poo will cost. I don’t know how the bookkeeeping at National got this bad, that the merch budget turned out to actually be 97k a year instead of 45k a year and no one noticed. Also, no one asked why the gently caress we were even spending $45k per year on merchandise! why are we paying an additional $65k on Google drives and zoom accounts and software licenses that aren’t being used? why were we spending $150k on catering?

No one has a clear view of where the money is going to pump the brakes on any of this well before now. and so yeah, it is going to be hard, and probably some staff need to be laid off to balance it, because the kind of operations that the staff are supposed to be doing under the national director just were not happening.

The other part of it is that the elected NPC and the most vocal parts of caucuses are deeply unserious about all of this. if you bring this up it is all shouting about “appealing to bourgeois norms” and “NGO-ification” and “pushing austerity”. Meanwhile the NPC is insisting they have to make cuts to balance the budget when they still do not have a line item budget, statements of reserves and assets, financial projections and explanations.

this is where “assume good faith” runs in to issues, is it good faith to assume you are smart but cynically using this to do shock doctrine to get what you want? Or is it you are stupid and don’t realize the damage being done?

Because that is increasingly relevant. it has been wild to watch these caucuses go so intensely anti union.

there were always 2 questions to this plan by the present NPC majority to eliminate staff and replace them with caucus “volunteers” (who are contractors)

“should we do it?” which they did win a majority for, though they won that majority by shouting down any objections about excessive spending at convention.

“Can we do it?” which was the objection that between the CBA and various legal barriers, shitcanning all the staff to replace with their people was not going to fly. Points on this got the “appeal to bourgeois norms!” crap again, along which whining about “will of the membership”, with maybe 2 people at most knowing what a fine line they would need to walk to do this.

Well now the second point is in full swing here. The present NPC majority has been flipping back and forth between “will of the membership” and “budget crisis” to justify the shock doctrine. but what they can’t find time for is apparently to talk to the labor lawyer so they don’t keep saying and doing atrociously stupid poo poo for ULPs.

Firing people not on budgetary necessity or for performance or because of changes in campaign direction, but because you don’t like their tweets? People who are not on the NPC making the firing decisions? Recording all this in the minutes, which are legal documents? And posting them to show how you are making the decisions?

The layoff “notification” was not sent to the unions or to those who were going to be fired, it was posted on forums and Twitter and that’s how people learned about they were losing their jobs.

Refusing proposed cuts on things like excessive software of the merchandise or catering, all so you can maximize firing?

This is a bunch of childish idiocy that is going to get the organization hit with open and shut ULPs. Because these people are petty immature fools out to settle scores for imagines slights and pay themselves, and can’t conceive of having to act like a loving professional for 5 minutes to get what they want.

instead of getting poo poo together on where the loving money is going and making proper plans and making hiring/firing decisions on strategic considerations and economic necessity, these are cliques of posters throwing a shitfit and it is going to get the organization sued

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

Xaris posted:

why wouldn't you just say nah the dsa union is not fighting for managerial positions instead? seems like a simpler answer than trying to do holier thou drama

I would imagine it is because jars is sick of having this same argument elsewhere, where people are just making this claim up, and let their anger transfer over here. which is inappropriate but understandable.

The staff union is not fighting for managerial positions. The Personnel committee and other directors were on the call last night to try and defend a director from being fired without severance. So not the union. But also that was the first time it came up in all these meetings, so anyone claiming the union had previously been fighting for them is either just making things up whole cloth or repeating what they heard from someone making poo poo up.

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

Al! posted:

posters: the dsa is embarassing
jarofpiss: you dont know what youre talking about. the dsa is embarassing and failing

I mean, yeah, that is a very accurate summation. if it could be a thread title it should be

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Grilled Beef posted:

why were we spending $150k on catering?

lmao DSA goldbelly'd itself

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

How do I get in on this? It's super embarrassing but seems incredibly lucrative

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
it’s time for the dsa to die and start over, maybe without the democrats component

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao DSA goldbelly'd itself

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Grilled Beef posted:

why were we spending $150k on catering?

because the union proposal carried over the 2023 budget as what the 2024 budget would be ignoring the fact that there wouldn't be a convention of over 1000 people with 6 catered meals in a union hotel in 2024 like there was in 2023.

Grilled Beef posted:

“should we do it?” which they did win a majority for, though they won that majority by shouting down any objections about excessive spending at convention.

the current majority was the minority prior to the last convention and is not responsible for the current budget crisis, the current npc minority is.

Grilled Beef posted:

The layoff “notification” was not sent to the unions or to those who were going to be fired, it was posted on forums and Twitter and that’s how people learned about they were losing their jobs.

notifications have to be voted on by the npc with 24 hours advance notice of what the proposals are, the proposal to lay off 7 union staff members and 1 director was sent by a npc member to the rest of the npc, one of the npc minority then sent that to the staff union and posted it on twitter which is what prompted the proposal to be posted on the dsa forums.

the union proposed 4 meetings where they would propose alternate budget cuts to the npc, they presented cutting catering for 2024 at the first, nothing that would save any jobs at the second meeting, they said they didn't think there was any reason to have any layoffs at the third meeting due to 35K raised in january and 950k of cuts that the NPC had made in january, then they cancelled the 4th meeting. the staff isn't being serious about the position dsa is in where it will literally go bankrupt next year and can not even afford to have a convention of any kind next year right now. what is dsa supposed to do, hold monthly fundraising phonebanks to call existing members to ask them to increase their monthly dues? because that's literally what the npc minority is proposing and just hoping that raises enough money to get dsa through the end of 2025

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The person trying to recruit me to join the budget committee was told that the reason there are so many "directors" in DSA is so they could give those people raises without having to bargain it with the staff union lol.

lol this sounds so much like the useless top-heavy administration at my workplace

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Wishing best of luck to DSA endorsed American politician Alexandria Ocasio Cortez and her good friend and favoured candidate for president, Joseph 'Kill Em All' Biden

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

all this would be very frustrating and a big shame if dsa was anything but a collection of the most self diagnosed people in all of christendom

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

fermun posted:

because the union proposal carried over the 2023 budget as what the 2024 budget would be ignoring the fact that there wouldn't be a convention of over 1000 people with 6 catered meals in a union hotel in 2024 like there was in 2023.

the current majority was the minority prior to the last convention and is not responsible for the current budget crisis, the current npc minority is.

notifications have to be voted on by the npc with 24 hours advance notice of what the proposals are, the proposal to lay off 7 union staff members and 1 director was sent by a npc member to the rest of the npc, one of the npc minority then sent that to the staff union and posted it on twitter which is what prompted the proposal to be posted on the dsa forums.

the union proposed 4 meetings where they would propose alternate budget cuts to the npc, they presented cutting catering for 2024 at the first, nothing that would save any jobs at the second meeting, they said they didn't think there was any reason to have any layoffs at the third meeting due to 35K raised in january and 950k of cuts that the NPC had made in january, then they cancelled the 4th meeting. the staff isn't being serious about the position dsa is in where it will literally go bankrupt next year and can not even afford to have a convention of any kind next year right now. what is dsa supposed to do, hold monthly fundraising phonebanks to call existing members to ask them to increase their monthly dues? because that's literally what the npc minority is proposing and just hoping that raises enough money to get dsa through the end of 2025

blaming minorities ftw

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

blaming minorities ftw

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

all this would be very frustrating and a big shame if dsa was anything but a collection of the most self diagnosed people in all of christendom
yep. god bless all the goons (dsa folx) that actually tried something, other than tweeting angrily, from 2015 to like 2019. I think there was some tangible decent local improvements here and there, but the moment is over and the org is irreparably toxic. I bailed out several years ago and cancelled dues after it was blatantly bad

focusing on forcing unionization drives and setting up a new or existing org to advocate and propagandize unionizing is going to be much more impactful from here on out

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

fermun posted:

the staff isn't being serious about the position dsa is in where it will literally go bankrupt next year and can not even afford to have a convention of any kind next year right now. what is dsa supposed to do

I am available for consultation with the NPC majority on how to legally do any of this poo poo. My retainer fee is the bargain basement price of $30k/mo.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

Wishing best of luck to DSA endorsed American politician Alexandria Ocasio Cortez and her good friend and favoured candidate for president, Joseph 'Kill Em All' Biden

oh yeah how did the dsa reckon with the fact that theyve campaigned for multiple people who are complicit in a genocide by the way?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

by the way i find it very funny that people are comparing cutting the treats budget with actual austerity

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

bedpan posted:

still baffled as to why the DSA needed to pay someone $30,000 per month to be a "national grievance officer"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Al! posted:

oh yeah how did the dsa reckon with the fact that theyve campaigned for multiple people who are complicit in a genocide by the way?

The majority of the membership just re endorsed AOC. So theres no contradiction. The org is acting in representation of their majority

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

The hotter, the wetter, the better

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

blaming minorities ftw

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Posters $200
Phonebanking $150
Grievance Officer $30,000
Treats $150,000
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my organization is dying

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

fermun posted:

The current majority are the ones who shut down the Growth and Development Committee in the midst of the recruitment and retention campaign so they could reconstitute it as “theirs” and blew up the attempt to arrest falling membership numbers. The current majority co-chair worked with the then minority to slow and sabotage everything along, including the wasted 400k on the NGHO, afford mentioned retention program shutdown, and withholding quorum to block committee work for months, driving cost overruns in our tech expenses.

The present NPC minority was warning about the budget at convention, and the current majority shouted those objections down as “austerity”

quote:

Nope. The email was forwarded to the directors. At which point members of the majority posted it to Twitter and the forums.

It would have been incredibly easy for the NPC majority or just the majority co-chair to contact the union as soon as the directors were emailed, so the steward could give those who were losing their jobs a heads up before posting it live. A mere 1 hour delay before putting it out there would have been respectful.

But the NPC majority, as they have stated, views the staff not as comrades they disagree with, but as a hostile force. And in their worldview such opposition is ontologically evil and so don’t deserve dignity or respect. So we get this kind of behavior.

quote:

the union proposed 4 meetings where they would propose alternate budget cuts to the npc, they presented cutting catering for 2024 at the first, [quote] along with 3 other proposals including a hiring freeze. that was rejected because it would preclude the majority from paying themselves out of the organization’s pockets

[quote]nothing that would save any jobs at the second meeting,
The proposals presented at the second were in excess of director level compensation simply by
correcting the merch costs and the IT excess spending.

The meeting ended without the 4th proposal being shared because Amy W stated that they would not be following the numbers provided to the union in their pursuit of cuts.

quote:

they said they didn't think there was any reason to have any layoffs at the third meeting due to 35K raised in january and 950k of cuts that the NPC had made in january,
and because the NPC still did not provide the required budget documents. The present cuts and dues raised cover 2024. The NPC refuses to provide a budget for 2025 or even agree to use 2024 and its cuts as a base, because they wanted to fire more people.

quote:

then they cancelled the 4th meeting. the staff isn't being serious about the position dsa is in where it will literally go bankrupt next year and can not even afford to have a convention of any kind next year right now.
The staff are presenting numbers and highlighting programs to cut. The NPC majority will not commit to numbers, reverses its votes, and refused to even meet to discuss the proposals - all of which were voted down last night.

the NPC is not trying to solve this. they are not even putting in the effort to enact layoffs in a serious manner. they are not consulting with the labor lawyer, and they are stating their intent to violate the CBA in recorded meetings and documented in the minutes.

even if this was a serious effort to balance the budget, their approach is “we can do what we want” rather than follow the rules and processes they agreed to! The NPC is not being remotely serious about any of this!

quote:

what is dsa supposed to do, hold monthly fundraising phonebanks to call existing members to ask them to increase their monthly dues? because that's literally what the npc minority is proposing and just hoping that raises enough money to get dsa through the end of 2025
I don’t doubt some layoffs are required to get the budget balanced. But the NPC majority doesn’t give a poo poo about balancing the budget, they refuse to even draft one. This is about ramming through layoffs for ideological reasons, except they don’t even have it in them to be serious enough to do their goal in the correct way. Like holy poo poo, you cannot announce your intent to recruit non union part time workers to replace the union workers you are firing right before you vote to fire, it is a clear cut violation of the CBA! These idiots don’t even know when to keep their mouths shut!

Grilled Beef has issued a correction as of 21:05 on Mar 29, 2024

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Al! posted:

Democratic Socialists of America

*puts on They Live glasses*

Social Democrats of America

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Al! posted:

by the way i find it very funny that people are comparing cutting the treats budget with actual austerity

lol yeah

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

In Training posted:

The majority of the membership just re endorsed AOC. So theres no contradiction. The org is acting in representation of their majority

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

btw has DSA gotten rid of their anti-communist or anti-democratic-centralism bylaws yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

jarofpiss posted:

DSA is not a staff led organization. staff doesn’t lead anything. staff provides infrastructure, training, and support for membership to campaigns. i hear what the staff organizers do all day long and the vast majority is training for chapter leadership. also providing direction to try and help keep the amateur chapter membership from violating election law or creating other legal issues for themselves and the org at large. giving them access to national infrastructure, getting them set up with communication lists, helping them work through the process of getting bank accounts, dues share, and when they’re established doing trainings for their local campaigns, putting them in touch with resources for larger national campaigns, etc. membership has dropped and the current proposal leaves the remaining organizers with over 80 chapters each

gutting this just reflects the complete baby brain lack of perspective these loving internet posers have about this org.

the majority NPC appears to want to dismantle the existing staff union infrastructure so they can direct funds toward their caucus dictated priorities like preserving the health insurance and paid salaries for the 1099 independent contractor npc co-chairs. its loving starve the beast conservatism in action

co chairs on an npc that can’t seem to produce a budget with actual numbers on it and instead want to drive ahead with firing 8 people (approx 4 more than required to hit their previously requested budget deficit). no target budget number presented in negotiations. these are not professionals in any sense of the word, they are literally just moron internet brains.

i’m trying to imagine if i had a job where different people with zero competence or understanding of my industry got to come in every two years and make a bunch of proclamations and then were tasked with trying to balance a budget (but also they dont know how to count past 10 with their shoes on). loving depressing.

not to say that the cspam internet communists dont have a lot of great advice to give in this thread, but fermun you dont know what youre talking about and this thread is just a spectacle for this reactionary cesspool to jack off to drama in.

maybe don’t post like you know how any of this poo poo has gone or have any sort of valuable perspective to add, unless youre gonna leak new behind the scenes caucus deep state chats?

Imagine feeling like this for a fed captured org.