Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is, by all accounts, a game that probably should not even exist, let alone be as good as it is. It was revealed in January 2013 with a teaser trailer as "SMT x Fire Emblem" and nothing more than a panning shot over the assorted Fire Emblem and SMT protagonists. It fell into radio silence for the better part of two years, including at least one project reboot, changing from a Fire Emblem-esque SRPG to an Atlus-style JRPG. And when TMS as we know it was revealed to the world, it was with this. Suffice to say that this was not what *anyone* had in mind for a crossover between SMT and Fire Emblem.

And yet somehow this game is good. Beyond good, even. I would unquestioningly call it my Game of the Year for 2016, and it's probably my favorite game on the Wii U period. The plot's a little trite, but the characters are great, the music is phenomenal, the combat is fun, and just overall it's so much fun and I sincerely hope that I can get that across to you as the reader.

What Tokyo Mirage Sessions *is* is a mix of Atlus's assorted SMT sub-franchises, with some very light Fire Emblem flavoring. The overworld is taken wholesale from Persona 3 or 4, the dungeons are straight out of SMT IV with unique themes and "puzzles" like Persona 4, the sidequests are similar to Devil Survivor's FATE system, and the combat (while it's own beast later on) is probably closest to Strange Journey. The game takes place in Tokyo, and revolves around the entertainment industry as our party members attempt to make their way as idols, TV personalities, actors, and everything in between while a J-Pop soundtrack blares in the background (complete with full-on AMVs). In fact, if not for the fact that your characters' Personas Mirages are Fire Emblem characters, you would be forgiven for assuming this was just another new IP from Atlus until about 45 hours in. Personally, I think this works to the game's favor, but I can understand why Fire Emblem fans would be disappointed in the end result.

The LP

This will be a screenshot LP first and foremost, with video links scattered liberally. While you don't have to watch any of the videos, the character models are incredibly expressive and I highly suggest you watch the them if you can, especially for the anime cutscenes and AMVs. Videos will be called out in the post :siren: like this :siren: and be placed at the start of their relevant scenes, so they should be very easy to find. Updates will be whenever the hell I feel like it, but probably something resembling a Mon/Thurs or Mon/Fri schedule.

Additionally, if you're not familiar with the SMT spell vocabulary, I suggest you brush up on that before we start. I'm not asking you to know whether Posumudi or Me Patra cures Panic off the top of your head, but you should probably know that Agi is fire and Dia is a cure spell.

Spoilers

:fuckoff:

Okay but seriously, keep black bar discussion to a minimum. It's pretty easy to see where the plot is going, but I know a lot of people didn't play this because it was a Wii U exclusive sent to die at retail in a year filled with games like Uncharted 4, Final Fantasy XV, The Last Guardian, and more. A little discussion on the next dungeon or sidequest is fine, talking about the final dungeon in Chapter 1 is not.

Additionally, there is a section about a quarter of the way into the game that was heavily changed during localization. When we get there, we'll discuss what it was and why it was changed, but if I see a single use of the word "censorship", even ironically, I am locking the thread and delaying the next update by a day. :siren: This is your first and only warning. :siren:

except vagina bones, that poo poo was hilarious

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 3.5
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16

Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29

Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40

Artix fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
reserved

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

So one quick note before we get started - as mentioned in the OP, this game is really into the whole "entertainment" thing. So much so that you don't even start a new game, you debut. It's a little touch that doesn't really mean anything, but it's interesting to see just how thoroughly the game has committed to its aesthetic.

We're playing on normal because while this is definitely on the easier side as far as SMT games are concerned, it can still kick your teeth in without warning if you're not paying attention. If it gets really boring we can always kick it up later.

:siren: Opening Cutscene/Game Intro :siren:

The first half of this cutscene has a film grain effect on it, so if any of the screenshots look weird, you know why! I highly recommend watching the videos when possible, but I'll hit all the important bits with screenshots if you're unable (or unwilling).

We open on an opera scene, with 13 year old Tsubasa Oribe in the audience.

Our leading man is Chikaomi Tsurugi, and at his side is Tsubasa's older sister, Ayaha Oribe.

Meanwhile, Chikaomi's son, Yashiro, is hanging out backstage.

Tsubasa is understandably excited to see her sister perform, but suddenly, in the blink of an eye...

...she disappears.

The audience is initially confused, but that quickly becomes panic when parts of the audience begin to disappear as well.

Yashiro disappears in a strange purple mist...

...and soon, Tsubasa is one of the only people left in the audience.

Chikaomi admirably carries on with the show, but soon he vanishes just like his son.

Tsubasa, now desperately fighting back tears, is surrounded by the same purple triangles that caused Chikaomi to disappear...

...when a strange breeze comes in, and creates a shield that protects her from whatever is going on.

A little surprised, a little relieved, Tsubasa becomes the only person to walk away from this whole ordeal.

And so, five years later...

Tsubasa is now all grown up (or at least as grown up as we're gonna get, this is a JRPG after all), and leaving school for the day.

We also get our first shot of Itsuki Aoi, the main protagonist of the game.

Tsubasa pops in her earbuds and loads up Kiria's latest single, and as she walks off...

...we get our title drop.

From here on out, it's mostly just the opening credits (and its excellent backing track, seriously go watch the video), so I'll pretty much skip right to the important bits.

For starters, Tiki is in this game! Or to be more precise, TIKi - she's more of a vocaloid than anything, so if you're imagining a Fire Emblem-themed Miku, you're 90% of the way there.

We also have these guys to thank for a phenomenal soundtrack. As you might expect for a game explicitly about idols and such, a ton of work went into music, and lord does it show. Nintendo must have cut Atlus a blank check, because the soundtrack features a large amount of completely original J-Pop, at least a half dozen professionally produced AMVs, a full cast of singing voice actors... It's almost obscene how much money must have gone into this game, only for it to bomb.

And let's not forget the animation. It would have been remarkably easy for Atlus to cheap out on the animation budget (and they absolutely have in the past), but even the anime cutscenes are almost entirely on model and animated well, if a little quiet in comparison to the rest of the game.

Strap in folks, it's gonna be a wild ride.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

#FE is a really cool game that's hurt by battles taking too long and being too easy towards the end, this is gonna be good

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

This game is great and unironically one of my picks for GOTY 2016. It just works so well and it's a whole lot of fun to play! If you haven't played it and have the opportunity to do so, I highly recommend it!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This is a very good game.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Oh boy, I'm really excited for this, even though I have no idea what to expect other than peak anime.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
This is my favourite game from 2016, everyone should play it on it's poor dead console.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I know nothing about this and haven't been curious enough to actually take a look at it before now. Hopefully the good things people are saying here ends up applying to me as well!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don't have much to say that hasn't already been covered - this game is a beautiful little miracle and I am strapped the hell in.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
this is the first time i've heard people saying the game was good, but i guess I didn't really pay much attention once i learned it didn't sell very well

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I really like this game. Haven't finished it, because millions of games came out but I had a ton of fun while I was playing it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm wondering how you're gonna cover the gamepad stuff because there's a lot of it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well I guess if I can handle LPing one very anime game I can handle reading an LP of another very anime game. I know you've had this in the works for a while now, so good luck going forward!

From Opera to J-Pop. I think I have musical whiplash. :v:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Now this is game I would've never bought on my own. Nothing about it looked good, I'm not a big fan of Atlus' franchises to begin with (I got really bored really fast of Persona 4, I got super stuck on 3 even though it did a better job at keeping me interested, I haven't played any mainline SMT) and my Wii U is basically a big paper-weight that only gets used for Super Smash Bros. anyways. I wasn't going to put money on a game that looked this...anime. It's too anime, even for me.

But I'm definitely interested in following a LP of it, because hey, if it's really that good, I might as well see it in action.

That said Artix, going from a game that looked good but was terrible to a game that looks terrible but is apparently good?

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

This game was so good, even if it becomes rather easy to chump enemies by the end. It's actually a massive shame that the game bombed, because of just how much effort was put into the game. The characters are some of the best things in the game, and I can't wait for us to meet them.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So precisely how much of this game is actually #FE? From my understanding it's not very much.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Kurieg posted:

So precisely how much of this game is actually #FE? From my understanding it's not very much.

Personas Mirages, bosses, a few tiny elements of the battle system, and the final dungeon. Literally everything else could have been a Persona game with absolutely no changes.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

There are a few things, but most of this is SMT, but that's not necessarily bad.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Thanks for reminding me that I should probably finish this game at some point! :v:

But seriously, I agree with everyone else, this is easily one of my favorite games of 2016. Hopefully it gets a Switch release so (maybe) more people can experience it. Honestly, this is probably the most fun I've had in any Atlus game, but then again, the battle system is a lot more simple than most Atlus games IMO

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Man the last thing I need right now is being convinced to buy another game by an LP.

:(

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Man, it's such a shame that this was an exclusive. I'm glad you're LPing it, because I would've never gotten to experience #FE otherwise!

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

This game is pretty drat great for what it is. I wasn't able to finish it because it started having some really weird loading issues, so I'm looking forward to this.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
It's funny you start this now. I am just starting to get into Fire Emblem and reading through the series by way of SSLP on the archives and a couple on site and I was thinking about getting this when I was done going through taht.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Oh man, this game was a real mixed bag for me. I love Fire Emblem and liked most of the SMT games, but the J-Pop aesthetic wasn't something I could ever really gel with. It's definitely a very stylish game, even if it's not the style I like, and there's some cool stuff in here. I, like most people, apparently, didn't get all the way through it, but this is making me want to boot the game up again.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

See what I was expecting was a real SMT/FE absolute downerfest of a game
And i would have loved that
(Featuring dante from the devil may cry series)

The TMS got announced and i dunno i think my eyes glazed over with rage for a while and I denied its existence.

But I guess the gameplay is good though very slow to pick up if i heard right, even if I think the character designs are hot overdesigned trash and the story is a trite PoS.
/rant

Hassou tobi erry day

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Huh. I heard this game was pretty bad, but apparently that's not the case? I guess I'll be following this to see for myself.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Artix posted:

Additionally, there is a section about a quarter of the way into the game that was heavily changed during localization. When we get there, we'll discuss what it was and why it was changed, but if I see a single use of the word "censorship", even ironically, I am locking the thread and delaying the next update by a day. :siren: This is your first and only warning. :siren:
If it comes to that, I suggest copy-pasting the entirety of this article into the thread while you're at it.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

TMS kind of reminds me of Baten Kaitos Origins, in that it is a fantastic RPG that was doomed from the beginning by being released on a Nintendo platform that was already on its way out. I love both Persona/SMT and Fire Emblem, so I decided to buy the game knowing pretty much nothing about it and got one hell of a pleasant surprise. The gameplay isn't that great (really solid though) and the story is nothing special, but this game is so much fun to watch and listen to - by the time I started getting tired of seeing the same animations over and over again during normal battles, I was already halfway done with the final dungeon.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
I am bookmarking this thread for later, but I cannot start reading it now, because my brother just finished the game and will be lending it to me. From what I have seen of him playing, this game is really good!

I will be back after completing it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

This game is better than it has any right to be. I bought it fully expecting to hate it, but... I like it. Kind of a lot?

I still haven't beaten it, but I'm close! I'm at the very end. Hopefully I'll be able to beat it while following this LP!

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
This was definitely the best game I played in 2016. I loved it a lot (enough to even buy the soundtrack!) and I was really sad to hear it sold awfully even by WiiU standards. Then again, so did a lot of really excellent games on the WiiU.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

My only prior exposure to this title was angry YouTube videos about The Great Vagina Bones Heist of 2016, so I look forward to learning about the actual game!

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
I remember this...and I remembering seeing it and immediately dropping it because it was...really not what I had been waiting for years on end for. It sucks to hear that it was really good and bombed. Because I feel it dooms any chance of a version closer to what people were expecting from ever happening

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I am very much looking forward to this being someone who missed out simply out of lack of a Wii U. I've heard basically nothing but praise for the game.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Oh hey, it's Persona 4 but everyone is Rise and a bit worse in more or less every way.

This game is weird and basically the opposite of what I wanted it to be but pretty drat good nonetheless.

I say this as someone who dislikes all but like 5 animes and I'm including Persona 4 in that list even though it's a game, by the way.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 31, 2017

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

drat you, Artix! Now I have to get back to this game and finish it before you catch up! I already have two Dragon Quest and Xenoblade games on my plate! I'm not superhuman!

Seriously, though, if I had regular access to a TV I'd probably already be done with this game. The only real problem with it for me is the lack of off-TV play. I suppose I should look into hooking up my Wii U to my monitor.

Surprise, surprise, a game made by Atlus is fun to play.

Wiffle
Jan 5, 2014
Wow, an extremely anime video game turns out to be polarizing, no one could have seen that coming. It'll be curious to see how the game stacks up since I've read a mix of opinions on it.

(I'm glad it's a screenshot lp so I don't have to listen to jpop)

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
I really enjoyed most aspects of this game. There are a couple of costume choices I didn't particularly care for, the plot is kinda meh, and I have issues with the main character, but I really enjoyed the gameplay, a lot of this game's style, and while I didn't care for Itsuki there was a character I absolutely loved and I am eagerly awaiting their time in the limelight so I can fanboy over them without having to resort to little black boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
This game is fantastic and basically everyone that actually did play it agrees that it was easily among the best games last year, which is crazy because it was a year packed with a ton of other fantastic games. It is a shame that so few people ended up playing it because it just is such a fantastically well made JRPG, and I can only hope that it becomes its own sort of mini-franchise.

One of my favorite things about this game just at a glance is that it is super obvious that this game is basically Persona 4.5, in that you can tell that Persona 5 largely has come about as an evolution on this game.

As a note of people mentioning this game being nothing like they were expecting from the original announcement of an SMT and Fire Emblem crossover the reason why it is so different from that expectation is because Atlus for a while was trying out a cross over SRPG but they ended up constantly coming to the conclusion that if they were going to do a SRPG it would be way better for IntSys to make it instead, so instead they came to the agreement that the best course of action was to basically just do an Atlus-style take on something like Fire Emblem instead.

• Locked thread