Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Who cares that this game is anime as hell, what matters is it's fun. Happy to see this get some recognition.

If we don't get to see the text message logs, there will be hell to pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012
Oh yeah, if you have any way to cleanly capture the Gamepad stuff, please show those off.

I I actually watched a streamer play his way through this game, and I've found myself jamming to the music. Not even the jpop stuff, just the in-game music.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is this an anime?

What makes this game good? Everything about it seems like it would be not good.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
It is just really earnestly fun in pretty much everything it does, and also has a ton of style to it as well. This of course is alongside being a really solid Atlus JRPG in design.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is this an anime?

What makes this game good? Everything about it seems like it would be not good.

The gameplay is very, very good. It's one of my favorite JRPGs mechanics-wise, and the nonsense plot is inoffensive enough to not make me want to stop playing it. The amount of care put into it really endeared it to me.

Greywords
Oct 17, 2008

Where we're going, we won't need eyes to Select Warp.

Carlioo posted:

Thanks for reminding me that I should probably finish this game at some point! :v:

But seriously, I agree with everyone else, this is easily one of my favorite games of 2016. Hopefully it gets a Switch release so (maybe) more people can experience it. Honestly, this is probably the most fun I've had in any Atlus game, but then again, the battle system is a lot more simple than most Atlus games IMO

I was pretty much going to post this. In the last year of games I've purchased, this has been one of the most enjoyable, even if I keep putting it down for, admittedly long, stretches of time. I really should finish it, as well!

Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012
Really liked the gameplay of this but the idol bullshit was extremely off putting, haven't played it in months because of it being so annoyingly anime. Will probably just follow this thread instead for bitesized chunks of it.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I don't understand why you bought a game about idol bullshit if it was so offputting honestly. Like what part of the footage didn't scream "this game will be aggressively anime" to you? The game owns, but if the mere thought of anime is enough to put down a game, it is probably not for you.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Because it was a collaborative effort between Atlus and Intsys
And goddamnit thats worth at least something in the face of all this anime

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They are both incredibly anime, what.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

i hate to break this too you but SMT and Fire Emblem are both incredibly anime series

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yeah really, Atlus and IntSys collaborating results in a product that's at least anime2. :v:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Ah yes, the companies whose recent outputs alone include Persona 3, the entire Persona 4 subfranchise, Devil Survivor 2, and Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates (let alone their entire back catalogs) would never produce an anime game. There is absolutely nothing anime about any of those games in the slightest.

Wiffle posted:

Wow, an extremely anime video game turns out to be polarizing, no one could have seen that coming. It'll be curious to see how the game stacks up since I've read a mix of opinions on it.

(I'm glad it's a screenshot lp so I don't have to listen to jpop)

Buddy, if you think you're getting out of my thread without listening to some J-Pop, boy do you have another thing coming.

Ozdhaka posted:

Oh yeah, if you have any way to cleanly capture the Gamepad stuff, please show those off.

Gamepad stuff will be captured, yes.

Godna posted:

I remember this...and I remembering seeing it and immediately dropping it because it was...really not what I had been waiting for years on end for. It sucks to hear that it was really good and bombed. Because I feel it dooms any chance of a version closer to what people were expecting from ever happening

For what it's worth, the last hard numbers we got on it said that it sold about 50k in the US, which is about what NoA was expecting. It's still terrible, mind, but it's not like it underperformed expectations.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

I think my favorite thing about this game is how hard it embraces the j-pop in basically every way it can. The soundtrack is unique and memorable the same way P3 and P4's were without stepping on their toes. The visual aesthetic is a nice change of pace with the bright pastel colors everywhere. Using FE as mainly window dressing, rather than it being the focus, was a smart move. It means you don't have to know poo poo about FE to enjoy the game, but if you do then the game is even better. It really is a shame it came out basically at the end of the console's lifespan, because I have no doubts that years from now it'll be considered a cult classic.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
What we've been shown so far is absolutely gorgeous. I really appreciate the slick designs the SMT / spinoffs have; there's just a lot of appeal there. It reminds me of a high production value glossy fashion mag. Like if Vogue were suddenly an RPG.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The best way to describe TMS (it's SMT backwards, people) is that it's not just about Jpop, it's about all of entertainment culture. Actors, tv, movies, music, etc. It'd be way worse if it was just an idol game.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry

Black Mage Knight posted:

As a note of people mentioning this game being nothing like they were expecting from the original announcement of an SMT and Fire Emblem crossover the reason why it is so different from that expectation is because Atlus for a while was trying out a cross over SRPG but they ended up constantly coming to the conclusion that if they were going to do a SRPG it would be way better for IntSys to make it instead, so instead they came to the agreement that the best course of action was to basically just do an Atlus-style take on something like Fire Emblem instead.
Is there any source on this? An interview with Atlus or something?

If the above is true, will we see intSys' half of the deal where they do 90% intSys and 10% Atlus? (instead of TMS's 90% Atlus and 10% intSys)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The theoretical 90% intsys/10% atlus is the game I was looking forward to when it was announced (Or 60/40, or 50/50, just "an amount of Intsys beyond some names and themes")

I'll still be reading the thread because the game looks interesting, just not something I'd play.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

asymmetrical posted:

Is there any source on this? An interview with Atlus or something?

If the above is true, will we see intSys' half of the deal where they do 90% intSys and 10% Atlus? (instead of TMS's 90% Atlus and 10% intSys)

It comes from an Iwata Asks interview iirc.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Echoing the love for this game. One of the most impressive things about it has to be the production values on the soundtrack. J-Pop ain't cheap to make, and nearly every other sidequest includes a new song. VA's were definitely chose more for their singing ability than their acting (though the acting's pretty decent too.).

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

I'm in something like the third chapter, and I can take or leave the j-pop. It's the rest of the game that's so charmingly earnest, and the effort put into the little things that make it a winner.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Regardless of exactly what's up with this plot, the imagery is SMT as gently caress.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
TMS is my candidate for the best game nobody has played. Love the music, the artstyle, the combat and the dungeons.

Plus, I've been sort of waiting for a LP, because a gameplay element gave me a fun idea for people to give fanart of.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Artix posted:

Ah yes, the companies whose recent outputs alone include Persona 3, the entire Persona 4 subfranchise, Devil Survivor 2, and Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates (let alone their entire back catalogs) would never produce an anime game. There is absolutely nothing anime about any of those games in the slightest.

Yeah but all of those are good games.
Which is sort of my point.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
So...anime is good?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Artix posted:

Buddy, if you think you're getting out of my thread without listening to some J-Pop, boy do you have another thing think coming.

FTFY :argh:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
God, I love this game. I love the sugary idol poo poo, I love the soundtrack, I love the loving ingame music videos, I love the cast, I love the gameplay. I should replay it.

Y'all coming in here all "I wanted to like this but UGH, IT WAS SOOOOOO ANIME," did you actually buy it for full price, fully knowing it was this anime, or are you talking entirely from hearsay

What I'm saying is, dehumanize yourself and face to anime. Life is better when you embrace the absurd.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

SC Bracer posted:

So...anime is good?

Hell no

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It's worth noting that the first minute of this game, which has less to do with Fire Emblem, already features the actual series main theme in greater capacity than Fates did. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A) anime is good

B) a fullon smt x fe game would have sucked, and i say that as a fan of both series

C) this game is p. good

D) smt got its start writing fanfiction of a trashy japanese novel where loki fucks seven women, and the first few fe games are just fantasy gundam

Endorph fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Feb 1, 2017

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Anime is so much better than the original Megami Tensei. I read it when I was younger and eww.

I really want to play this game but I couldn't justify buying a WiiU so I'm keen to see this LP.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

More of the last pokemon was sold than the lifetime sales of rhe wiiU. Fallout 4 on day 1 almost sold as much as 4 years of a console.

No one played.wiiu games.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I wish we could get a switch port of this game but unless they do WiiU virtual console I don't think that'll ever happen. I'm so sad about this dead game on this dead console.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
There's going to be an extra update this week so that we can get to the first dungeon ASAP. Really, the game's intro barely counts as an update.

Music: Daitama Observatory

Now that we've entered the realm of gameplay, we get dumped off in the Daitama Observatory.

There's an audition of some kind going on, which probably explains the crowds. And hey, there's Tsubasa hanging out at the back of the line.

Itsuki wanders in, but uh, he's not the brightest bulb in the box. You'll see.

Some kind of event, huh...? Wonder what's taking Touma so long.

Oh?

So this is our introduction to "Topic". It's basically a bunch of texts that come in on your gamepad, mostly to flesh out some side conversations which absolutely could not have happened on the main screen, no sir.

quote:

blargh sorry! running late! i seriously just got off the stage
sorry, man. gah, and i was the one who set this whole thing up, too
Don't worry about it.
thanks man. sorry again!
oh btw, i saw someone who looked a lot like tsubasa in odaiba today. did she tell you anything about her plans?
Nope...
eh, it was probably someone else then. anyhow, i'll be there as soon as i can, so just hang on a little more

Guess I'll just wander around a bit then...

From there, we're actually thrown into gameplay. Our immediate goal is to go talk to Tsubasa, but for now let's chat up the locals.

:swoon:: I want to be just like Mamorin! I really, really wanna be like her!

:awesomelon:: The Uta-loid Tiki's made of dreams, not data! If she was just a fictional idol, she wouldn't be this popular!

:j:: If you pass this audition, then you might even be able to work together with Kiria, right?

:woop:: My friend's auditioning too! I'm looking forward to seeing her!

Well, it seems like everyone else is pretty excited about this, let's see what Tsubasa has to say.

:siren: Meeting Tsubasa :siren:

Oh. Well, something tells me we weren't supposed to see her here.

I thought that was you, Tsubasa.

I-I-I thought you were hanging out with Touma today!

He hasn't shown up yet, so I figured I'd hang out for a while.

Urgh... Thanks, Touma...

Tsubasa...?

I, uh, well...

"Kiria"...? That was... that singer you really like, right?

*Sigh* I've been telling you to listen to her songs forever. How do you still not remember?

She's one of the biggest female artists in Japan right now. You should really listen to her sometime, Itsuki!

I'll... get around to it.

You promise?

Yeah, yeah.

Don't "yeah, yeah" me... You're just saying that to get me off your case.

*Sigh* Come on, Itsuki, we've been friends since we were kids. Can't you take me seriously for once?

Tsubasa has some very expressive motions in her dialogue. It's quite fitting for her character, and I suggest watching them in motion when you get a chance.

I mean, I'll get you parfait if you want... I just don't see why you're trying to get ME excited about her.

It makes perfect sense! I just want to be able to talk about Kiria stuff with you.

I think that's probably enough about her... So what exactly are you doing here in Daitama, again?

Uh, well, you know, just... things...

All applicants for the One of Millennium idol audition, please gather in the reception area.

Gaah! I-I, uh, just remembered there was something I had to do! So, uh... Gotta go! I'll see you later!

Tsubasa?

Nope, this is definitely on the level. Nothing funny going on here.

Anyway, now that we've talked to Tsubasa the line has cleared out, so let's go see what she's trying so hard to hide.

As Itsuki walks past the mirror, we see that he's being followed by a red ghost. I'm sure that nothing will ever come of this.

:siren: The Audition :siren:

Music: Showtime!

Well, I suppose we know where the crowd went.

Which talented contestant will get the glory of victory and a shot at stardom!? Are... you... READY?

Yeeeeaaah!

And so am I! Why don't we have our future idols come forward on stage?

Whoooo!

The other idols each take a turn on stage, but you can see how much attention Itsuki is paying.

This, however, is enough to snap him back into reality.

Heh heh...!

Aw, geez... I totally messed that up.

What's Tsubasa doing onstage...?

Tsubasa seems to have a ghost following her as well, but like Itsuki's, it vanishes almost as quickly as it appears.

I... I want to become an idol that can... make everyone happy!

Whoa...

Wooow. And just what motivated you to want to be that kind of idol? We're just dying to know, aren't we, folks?

We are!

Well... A while ago... I went through some hard times and got really depressed... Everyone was really worried about me, but that just ended up feeling more like a burden...

But... I had a friend that still talked with me like everything was normal - just like he always did. That cheered me up... and it helped me feel like I could smile again.

That's why... I want to be able to help everyone smile, just like my friend did for me.

Huh...? Well, um...

Is it, maybe... something to do with your sister?

...!?

Your sister is the idol Ayaha Oribe, isn't she?

Y-Yes... that's true...

Well, why didn't you say so!? This is very important information. So, tell us... what kind of sister was she?

She was always cheerful, a great singer... And most importantly... sh-she was a very kind person.

Buuut, five years ago... during that so-called "Mass Disappearance" your sister disappeared, didn't she?

Isn't the Mass Disappearance where all the performers and audience in a theater just disappeared?

At this point, even the crowd is starting to sense that something is up.

But here, now, HERE... We come to the most important question of all.

Tsubasa. For your incredible talent, I could let you see your beloved sister once again... How about it?

The truth is... I have called Ms. Ayaha Oribe to be our special guest today!

...Huh? Sh-She's here!?

Music: Danger!

Well, this went south quickly. Not only was this whole thing a trap, Gojuin can summon whatever these red ghosts are.

Wh-What's going on!? Nooo! Ugh... gah...

It's a lot more obvious in motion, but these red ghosts are absorbing something from the crowd. A really cute touch is that once a crowd member has been drained, they lose their color and turn grey before they collapse.

Ah, now there's a Proper Noun™. Just keep that in mind, we'll get an explanation for that in a few updates.

Ah...! Tsubasa... Where's Tsubasa...!?

Itsuki, despite being under attack himself, is at least trying to help.

His work seemingly done, Gojuin turns around and goes through the portal that has appeared behind him.

Tsubasa cries out for help...

...But she quickly gets taken through the portal as well.

And with the audience entirely drained, the red ghosts call it a day too.

Itsuki is suddenly glowing again, and like before it seems to counteract the Performa drain.

Well I suppose our next objective is pretty obvious, isn't it? Next time we investigate this mysterious blue portal!

Artix fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 2, 2017

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

"Uta-loid" is amusing to me as a Vocaloid fan; there's a fanmade shareware program very similar to Vocaloid that's called UTAU. Nowadays the western fandom largely refers to the voicebanks/characters as "UTAUs" like the program, but from 2008-2010ish some would call them "Utauloids".

...that was way too many words to say "I'm a weeaboo with weird hobbies".

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
For the less weeaboo in the audience, uta is song, utau is to sing.

Those phantoms remind me of Death in P3's Tartarus. I was like nooo it's too early for that bastard to show up!

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

I've been waiting for this LP to start.

I bought TMS right at the beginning of this year, and I beat in a week of nonstop playing. What I'm getting at is this game is amazing. Like, the best way to describe it is Persona 4.5. If you need to scratch that Persona itch now that Persona 5 has been delayed again, I highly recommend picking this up.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I do like the way the game makes it obvious which people you're allowed to talk to, everyone else is just a shape with little to no shading.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Better go save your girlfriend totally platonic childhood friend, Itsuki!

Also, Artix, I hope you'll show off the older chatlogs in the Topic thingy. A lot of folks didn't know about them at all and there's some funny stuff in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShinyDais
Sep 5, 2016

Mysticblade posted:

I really want to play this game but I couldn't justify buying a WiiU so I'm keen to see this LP.

Same! Is there, like, a line to stand in or a sweet wagon to ride?

More on topic, I'm far from an expert but it seems like this plot got very Persona, very fast.

• Locked thread