Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

My only prior exposure to this title was angry YouTube videos about The Great Vagina Bones Heist of 2016, so I look forward to learning about the actual game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

It is almost certainly coincidence but the bloooood ghooooosts remind me of the raincoat killer from Deadly Premonition.

Somewhere in North America, a man looks up from his coffee and says "I can't read kanji, Zach."

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

So the session skills are... a way of mechanically presenting your party as a a J-Pop Idol group? That's clever, I like it.

RandallODim posted:

Just, uh, leave your expectations for a hard-hitting examination of the Japanese entertainment industry at the door.
No no, see, the demons represent the entertainment industry or possibly the Yakuza sucking the Performa (represents youthful energy and passion) out of their performers, leaving them broken husks (aka NPCs). Your only way of safeguarding against this is bonding with a powerful spirit (talent agent), represented by characters from a separate video game series because that sort of concern for the performer's well-being is foreign to the industry as a whole.

It's a bold direction, because as everyone doubtless knows, anime about idol singers are traditionally stealth critiques of regulatory capture in the Japanese health care system.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I'd rather have the game subtitled than not at all, though it does make me a bit nostalgic for the P4 dub. It had its ups and downs to be sure, but damned if I didn't see the host's face coming apart and think "Then I will grant you one truth..."

Touma looks like he's gonna get a rough deal. Even the level-up screen gives him poo poo.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Hi-Fiber VORTEX!!! Scour your colon with Insoluble Freshness!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

It's harder to dye your own beard than your own hair.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

If that's true, it's a big change for the series since at least in Nocturne I died multiple times to the very issue you mentioned.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

To see Itsuki's beaming smile is what gets me through those tough boss fights

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Holy poo poo that background image.

Can you get that as a poster?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The guy who kept falling for all the female demons, right? For being such a grim, grindy game most of the time, SJ had some pretty funny side quests.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I read it more as poking fun at their own designs but either way it was entertaining. Also the one where your ship's bathroom is haunted by the ghost of ringworm past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Shei-kun posted:

They had a perfect chance to use either Walhart or THE MOST AMAZING MOUSTACHE who serves him, but no.
I'd bet on Walhart showing up as a future boss. Probably as a Tome-user though because gently caress you.

The game is just the right kind of dumb to appeal to me, but man, neither the FE or SMT stuff has a lot of purchase on it.

• Locked thread