Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vdate
Oct 25, 2010
The SMS conversations (or whatever they are) really make this for me. They sell the characters so well! Also, I thought that all the previous song links were just that - purely music - so I was a little surprised by the levels of Sharon Apple light show bullshit going on (albeit without an AI getting involved). Time to go back and click all the other links I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

Or maybe if she were heading to Egypt with her grandfather to beat the poo poo out of some rear end in a top hat vampire.

Not gonna lie, that's totally where my mind went at first.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Really, the repair job is kind of Aya's fault. Itsuki knew he knew gently caress-all about sewing and went to somebody he knew was a fair bit better at it than him, and deferred to her advice. It's just that Aya apparently has something of a warped sense of humour (since she appeared to be messing with at least one of her sister, Kiria, and Itsuki). Or maybe she just knows Kiria better than our hero does.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

OddObserver posted:

What's kinda fun is that it looks like all the buffs in this game are multitarget?

iirc that's how it is in all the regular SMT games. This is at least pretending to that, so buffs work like an SMT game I guess?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Dangit, Artix, stop convincing me to buy this game! At least wait until payday!

(The reaction shots were truly magical. The contrast between Touma and Kiria's reactions was pretty funny, too.)

Blademaster_Aio posted:

This is great. It's really great.

Also, how should I say this, I can't seem to match idol version of Yashiro who was singing, with the not-idol, off stage version of him. He seems like the kind of guy who has zero interest in being an idol, just from the vibe he gives out.

Look, the man believes in work-life compartmentalization. It can be harmful to let your stage persona leak into your personal life, after all - just ask Tom Baker!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, it's a really nice detail. The portraits are also super happy and smiling if they can session off one of your attacks and sad, complete with stylized blue sweat bars, if they can session but will wind up hitting an elemental or weapon block, drain, or repel with it.

This is a beautiful touch. I haven't noticed it thus far, although I can't tell if that's because it hasn't happened yet or if I'm just unobservant.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Picayune posted:

Man, if only she could have Innes. :allears:

Clearly the correct answer would have been 'the 3-13 archer'.

(In all seriousness Innes would have been fantastic, but since they've decided to not only limit their character pool but also sort of disregard the source characterization anyway, it's probably for the best.)

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

I love that. You literally helped a girl to get senpai to notice her. :allears:

Let nobody say that this game is not committed to its premise of 'maximal anime', even if only by diffusion from a related industry.

OutofSight posted:

It is disturbing how serious his face is about this nonsense.

Touma is the hero we both need and deserve.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
...sooo, I'm guessing Vaike is/was Barry's Mirage? Also, I'm really quite angry that we don't get Barry as our resident axe-wielder. We've got the other bases fairly well covered at this point!

Also, I'm deeply disappointed in our crew for not laughing at Yashiro after all his smugness and dramatic posing turned out to be a colossal waste of time, because let's be honest he's asking for it.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Blademaster_Aio posted:

He's asking for a lot of things. I hope we get to poke fun at him. Don't you want to? With that type of personality, it just makes you want to push his buttons and annoy him right?

I sound like a terrible person, but whatever.

I agree completely! On Yashiro, I mean. I dunno you well enough to say anything on the 'terrible person' front.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
God drat, that Virion design. That is loving incredible. It's like they crossbred Silver Chariot with the entirety of Rose of Versailles. I think I actually like this one better than Gangrel!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Lover boy specifically feels like a Strange Journey reference to me. That's the only other SMT game that has a similar side quest, IIRC. Given how performas are basically formas with a prefix stapled on, I'm almost positive it's SJ specifically.

Yeah, I was gonna say, that guy might as well be named Anthony.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Alright, I expected to roll my eyes at that, but both characters (at least initially) committing to the 'training' premise did make it pretty sweet in the end. You're alright, Ellie. (Also you hang out with the fella who has the greatest goddamn stand persona Mirage design, which can't hurt.)

Heavy Sigh posted:

Look, Itsuki's just following in the proud, romantically-impaired footsteps of his Lordly forebears. He wouldn't be worth his salt as a Fire Emblem protagonist without having at least three people crushing on him.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

And of course, according to tradition, he has either not notice it, or pretend he doesn't notice it.

Or, in one case, be implied to be homosexual (or at the very least wholly romantically uninterested in women).

vdate fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 25, 2017

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Drakenel posted:

Considering he can still get female paired endings, he may very well be bisexual. Though my pessimism tells me that wasn't the intent. (Writers be like 'ooh yaoi this'll sell')

'Ooh yaoi this'll sell' lacks something as an explanation - it was subtle enough that I wasn't really sure if it was the case myself (hence my qualifying the original statement). I don't know that you jack subtlety to maximum when you're pandering.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but what controls whether a character appears in battle henshin'd or in their civvies (uh, or whatever stupid outfit you've stuck them in)?

(also, after listening to the Mirages chatting to their partners in battle, I finally pinned down what this reminded me of: Kamen Rider Den-O. Admittedly, it's not a takeover, but the general idea is similar.)

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I can't wait for us to throw down against Barry and his Mirage (who I can only assume is Vaike, because, well, Barry).

I also love that in this, a game vigorously attempting to reach peak anime, the characters almost all respond to the theme song request with 'anime? Really?'

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Barry did go metal, an axe user is appropriate.

That was actually my reasoning.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Glazius posted:

Wait, doesn't Kiria work for this agency that uses Barry as a trainer? How has she never heard the theme song to Dia Witch Iroha?

I guess Barry strictly segregates his work and personal life to a degree I didn't think.

Or maybe Kiria just never needed the Barry Boot Camp treatment. Which is a shame, when you think about it. She would have enjoyed it much more than either Tsubasa or Itsuki.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
On the whole, I feel like my ability to buy into the pre-boss scene was significantly lessened by the soundtrack not including Barry's apparent endless Rising Force-style guitar solo. (admittedly I feel like many scenes might be enhanced by the inclusion of such, but in this case it's warranted, dammit! I will credit the game for having something appropriate cut in once Barry is compos mentis again - although I needed to turn the volume pretty high to hear even that, so maybe it was more about audio balancing in the first place.

still, Draug should have had a self-buff called Rising Force

I can still hope against hope that Barry will join our team now, even though naming conventions suggest that it's going to be Mamori instead. I also hope (probably also against hope) that this will awaken Mamori to the ways of metal, because that would be at odds with the rest of the cast in the most glorious way possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I can't help but feel any change to Dapper Floral Virion will be something of a downgrade.

• Locked thread