Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
This game is fantastic and basically everyone that actually did play it agrees that it was easily among the best games last year, which is crazy because it was a year packed with a ton of other fantastic games. It is a shame that so few people ended up playing it because it just is such a fantastically well made JRPG, and I can only hope that it becomes its own sort of mini-franchise.

One of my favorite things about this game just at a glance is that it is super obvious that this game is basically Persona 4.5, in that you can tell that Persona 5 largely has come about as an evolution on this game.

As a note of people mentioning this game being nothing like they were expecting from the original announcement of an SMT and Fire Emblem crossover the reason why it is so different from that expectation is because Atlus for a while was trying out a cross over SRPG but they ended up constantly coming to the conclusion that if they were going to do a SRPG it would be way better for IntSys to make it instead, so instead they came to the agreement that the best course of action was to basically just do an Atlus-style take on something like Fire Emblem instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
It is just really earnestly fun in pretty much everything it does, and also has a ton of style to it as well. This of course is alongside being a really solid Atlus JRPG in design.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

ChaosArgate posted:

Another point against Roy's favor is how goddamn late his promotion comes, so he's just kind of dead weight once promoted enemies start showing up and he's still a level 20 Lord.

Yeah, but that is partially the games fault. Like, at least once he does promote if you take some time to level him he actually does become pretty good thanks to him having possibly the most broken FE main weapon. Basically Ike's Ragnell is a bad Sword of Seals to put this in perspective (SoS has 20 uses, 18 might, 95% hit, 10% crit, 1-2 range, 8 weight, gives +5 to defense and resistance, is effective against Manakete's and can be used as an item to heal for 30).

Also you can't say Roy is the worst when Leif exists. Leif's special thing is that he always has pretty garbage stat growths but when promoted has a skill that makes stat up items more effective. So basically he is either bad or, if you save all your stat up items for him, average.

Oh, and Roy is one of the top 5 most popular FE characters judging from the FE Heroes poll, so that has to count for something, right?

Now on the topic of the actual game at hand. My favorite touch in the character profiles is the characters signature. For some reason that is something that really helps sell the whole performer side of this game to me. The session system is pretty much one of the things that really pulls the combat together in the same way that the Persona One More's and push turn did, but I honestly kinda prefer it because of how it is something you build and customize your party around instead of extra turns.

Artix posted:

It means he was in Smash brothers, yes. You know who else is at the top of the popularity polls? Ike, Marth, Lucina, and Lyn. Ringing any bells?

Marth was actually 6th in the poll on the males side, behind Chrom and Hector (and buff Ike). Also Tharja was above him as well, at 3rd on the female side. Really the placement of everyone aside from Marth (who usually ranks way higher) and Roy (who usually ranks lower) is pretty consistent with general series rankings in Japan what with Ike being the most popular male character (usually by far) and Lucina and Lyn being the most female characters, so I doubt that everyone there is just because of Smash. But yeah I will concede that pretty much all of Roy's popularity comes from his Smash appearances.

Black Mage Knight fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 7, 2017

• Locked thread