Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

This game is great and unironically one of my picks for GOTY 2016. It just works so well and it's a whole lot of fun to play! If you haven't played it and have the opportunity to do so, I highly recommend it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah really, Atlus and IntSys collaborating results in a product that's at least anime2. :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Picayune posted:

If I'm recalling correctly, Zan is actually force, not wind. I'm not sure why you can have force or wind but not both, but eh, game logic.

They're generally interchangable and both use green wind icons. I know there's a few games that have both Zan and Garu, but those aren't super common.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Item Getter posted:

I think Zan didn't really become a "wind" attack until the 2000s or so, and they just keep the "force" attribute out of tradition.
In the early SMT games the effect for Zan suggested some kind of "sonic wave", it was like a bunch of expanding circles with a high pitched whine sound.
It's sort of funny how Persona 5 reintroduced some gameplay elements of the older Persona titles, and one of them they decided to bring back was some of the tons of goofy elemental attacks that Persona 1-2 had, like Gravity.

This game showed me the thing that Persona awakening cutscenes were always missing.
And I love that the monsters in the crowd have glow sticks.

How is the FE weapon triangle supposed to work in this game when the enemies (at least that we have seen so far) seem to be generic Persona 3 Shadow looking things which aren't holding any discernible weapons? Or are most of the later enemies visibly holding a sword, spear or whatever. I wonder if that also means that the SMT series staple "immune to physical attacks" enemies don't really appear in this game.
I'm reminded a bit of how when Persona Q brought over the head / arm / leg bind mechanic from Etrian Odyssey, they had to rename it to vague stuff like "Strength seal" since many of the Persona 3-4 enemies don't really have arms and legs to speak of.

It'll be pretty obvious what enemies have what weapons later in this game, don't worry!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Another point against Roy's favor is how goddamn late his promotion comes, so he's just kind of dead weight once promoted enemies start showing up and he's still a level 20 Lord.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

The first part of the session skills tell you what triggers them, the second is the element for the follow up.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Kurieg posted:

IIRC her Japanese costume is muuuuch worse.

Also Maiko has a surprisingly normal looking face for a game like this, which makes it all the weirder that she's apparently smuggling two basketballs in her shirt.

I don't think they changed her default Carnage outfit, actually. It's bad, but I haven't heard any rumblings about that particular outfit.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Most of the female characters in this game are. We've already seen Tsubasa and Kiria, and they're more stacked than high school girls have a right to be. It's funny, because neither Atlus nor IntSys has much of a history of exaggerated character designs like this.

Pretend I posted a picture of Camilla because I'm too lazy to look for one on my phone.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Shame on you if you wouldn't want Tiki for a little sister. :colbert:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I feel like that maaaaaaay be jumping the gun a tiny bit.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Seriously? The guy's last name is loving Sword. Jeorge or Virion? C'mon.

Mamori's name is one letter away from mamoru, protect. And she's a little girl, so a big-rear end armour is the most obvious fit. Too bad Amelia isn't in this game, that'd be perfect.

I mean if we're going on design alone, he and Virion both wear very nice cravats. :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Snorb posted:

I just noticed; is the max part limit only three characters?

Yeah, you only get three. It's a little weird, but you never really need a fourth.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Glazius posted:

Do Ad-Lib skills ever fire off when some enemy is going to, like, reflect or be fully healed by them or some similar SMT bullshit?

It's purely random when Ad-Libs happen, except for like the first fight you use the character who gets the Ad-Lib after you get it I think?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

That's for party members; I don't particularly feel like looking up numbers for P3 or 4, but you can get a Ma- spell as early as level 13 in P5 with a Hua Po on Joker. Not exactly a fair comparison since Itsuki doesn't have nearly as much versatility as a Wild Card user, but I can see where Artix is coming from.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Wait what, Feel My Soul has a Charm Boost effect on it? I didn't even know Tsubasa had any charm skills. :psyduck:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

the Poses make sense for the swimsuit and is less awful-looking, but the changed outfit is still Idol-ish and isn't clearly designed to be fanservice.

And are all the mirages besides Tiki, Cain and Caeda going to be Awakening and later characters? Because if so that's disappointing.

The poses actually got changed for localization as well. I don't have a comparison shot on hand, nor do I want to actually look for one, so take my word for it.

As for the mirage sources, this game will source mirages pretty much exclusively from Shadow Dragon and Awakening.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

Just man, Hector would be a far more interesting Mirage (and I personally am in the "Tharja makes me very uncomfortable" camp for reasons I will not elaborate on)

I mean, for what it's worth, Tharja is waaaaaaaaay less of a creep in this game and she's honestly more of a cool older-sister, from what I remember. I do wish they pulled from more sources for mirages though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Blademaster_Aio posted:

And it costs 1 SP? Really? Really?

SP takes a few rounds to build up. It's not this game's form of general mana, that would be EP. SP skills are really powerful, but in theory that's offset by them needing a few turns between use. In theory, at least. There are ways around that.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Lover boy specifically feels like a Strange Journey reference to me. That's the only other SMT game that has a similar side quest, IIRC. Given how performas are basically formas with a prefix stapled on, I'm almost positive it's SJ specifically.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Huh, I never noticed Matador grants Auto-Sukukaja. That's kinda cheeky, Atlus. :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Gaiden/Echoes. Thracia. Binding Blade. Sacred Stones.

Alm used to be a blue-haired lord! Does it still count though now that he's green for the modern era?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I’m gonna be contrary and say turn Chrom into Walhart because holy poo poo he’s a goddamn monster with that strength. He doesn’t even need the Great Lord’s magic skills with all that strength, not that he’d put it to much use as a Conquerer.

• Locked thread