Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Edvarius posted:

I don't particularly care for Tsubasa's battle costume. I mean, there are a lot worse in this game, but it still never really appealed to me. The combination of elaborately flaring sides with an almost completely exposed front just looks silly.

On the other hand, while I don't like Itsuki as a character, I gotta admit the dude pulls off the cape and ascot look well.

I actually kind of like Ikutsuki as a character, for a few reasons that will pop up once the game starts later.

I got this game for Christmas half as a joke, and am about halfway through chapter 2 right now. This game is bizarre and kind of creepy at points (though thankfully not as much as it would have been completely unaltered), and while it's battle system can get basic it also has a bunch of really cool ideas under the hood that get really fun as it gets rolling, and it has a really earnest heart to it that's really charming at points. My experiences have been largely positive so far, though I am far more of a SMT than Fire Emblem guy (I felt I had to get SMT4: Apocalypse to repent for my gaming sins).

e: oh, and the random growths tend to make it so that you get largely random, but every 5 levels or so you get a really significant one to help keep an even playing field: which is handy, since the amount of party members is much closer to Persona games than Fire Emblem.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I kind of dig how the game basically uses the magatama system from Nocturne for skills, partially because it's a really cool system to roll your armour, weapon and skill tree into the same slot, and partially because this game could not be further from Nocturne in terms of tone.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So are skills like "Lance-Slash" both lance- and sword-elemental, or is it only sword-elemental and the "Lance" part is just saying what triggers it?

Yep, and it goes in a chain. So say you have Ikutsuki do a sword attack, Tsubasa would then do sword-lunge. A hypothetical third party member would then pull from a session skill that is triggered by lance attacks, so they would do lance-fire or something to that effect, instead of one triggered by the initial sword attack. So it basically looks like Cleave -->Sword-Lunge--> Lunge-Fire, and so forth.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Sadly all of the mirages in this game are from the first Fire Emblem or Awakening (which share a universe I think?)

Also I must have gotten lucky with my Touma because he is a loving monster in my playthrough.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Junpei posted:

Okay, can I just be the first person to say that I loving love whoever designed this game's weapons? They look cool and artistic and fancy and I love it.

Itsuki's Falcion is simple, but elegant. The golden... leafing, I want to say? I'm no weapon expert. The swirly-handle stuff. It looks nice.

Tsubasa's Iron Feather is very pretty, it has this nice swirling to it and the colors look nice.

Touma's Iron Lance has the cool inverse triple prongs and the chain wrapped around it that makes it looks very stylized.

You are going to have a rollercoaster of a time then. Some of the weapons are super sleek and cool looking and others are peak JRPG.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Luckily you can change outfits a bunch in this game: I like to have everyone run about in their everyday outfits, Persona style.

Also the biggest strength of this game is how well-paced it is. You're always getting new stuff for party members and new mechanics that make you more powerful keep getting introduced without it feeling like you were held back well beyond the halfway point.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

W.T. Fits posted:

Tsubasa is one of my favorite characters just for how much of a huge dork she is. :allears:

I honestly love this about the whole cast. They're dumbass teenagers with their heads in the clouds who have no business being as incredibly effective as they are.

Okay that's most jrpg's but this one in particular :v:

e: I guess the best way to put it is that it's like saving people from extradimensional horrors is their job on the side and they're more focused on want they really want which is to be children's television actors and pop stars.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 27, 2017

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Glazius posted:

Kind of weird we started out with two lancer units. Can Touma switch-hit with swords?

nope, they just front-end the lancers in this game, though Tsubasa should really only be using lances to start sessions since her strength is outright pitiful compared to her magic.

At least the party has access to all four magic elements at the moment (well Kiria has a darkness spell but since that can't start a session it falls off in utility very quickly)

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
This game really has no goddamn business being a tenth as charming as it is. :allears:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Naw, she does. It's hard to miss too, but I won't spoil anything.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I only just appreciated that he's somehow driving while sitting in the passanger's seat. I know that cars in Japan are reversed like in Britain but that steering wheel is clearly on the left side of the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Well Greil was apparently a cool enough dude that having his blood was a good thing in and of itself, so I'll buy it.

• Locked thread