Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

"Uta-loid" is amusing to me as a Vocaloid fan; there's a fanmade shareware program very similar to Vocaloid that's called UTAU. Nowadays the western fandom largely refers to the voicebanks/characters as "UTAUs" like the program, but from 2008-2010ish some would call them "Utauloids".

...that was way too many words to say "I'm a weeaboo with weird hobbies".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Like Clockwork posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who made that connection; it was actually a bit jarring to see in the game (although the similarity is probably unintentional. UTAU is a niche within a niche, and for good reason).

Also, I'm pretty sure "Utauloid" was only used in the western community and the Japanese and overseas halves of the Vocaloid fandom had even less contact seven years ago than they do now.

...I may or may not make UTAU covers as a hobby. It's definitely an acquired taste within an acquired taste, but I like to pretend that newer recording methods, engines, and my eight years of experience make it decent.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Like Clockwork posted:

Oh hey, I think I recognize part of Tsubasa's outfit from an infamous Twitter screenshot. :v: ~*~vagina bones~*~

So far this seems like it's mostly the benign kind of anime-as-hell, which I'm fine with... Even if they chose the objective Worst Lord to saddle our protagonist with. I kind of wish I had the cash for a WiiU so I could get this, now.

I mean, he has a crush on Tsubasa so it's not like Ike would've worked. :v:

On a serious note, I am surprised they didn't choose Marth, which means they are probably saving him for something.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

SC Bracer posted:

This is an Archanea only safe space thank you. No GBA FE units allowed.

Or any home console capable of 3D graphics, for that matter.

*plays Taps on kazoo for the Tellius games*

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

It's. It's literally Miku. Square floating hair ties and all. I think I've seen something like it in truly forgettable Vocaloid PVs.

You already had Tiki doing a reference, did you literally need to put Miku's design in a game.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Rirse posted:

Heads up, it's on sale right now at Best Buy for $35, with GCU (paid program) it's 28. Today only.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe-nintendo-wii-u/8713099.p?skuId=8713099

Thanks for this actually. I wasn't sure if I wanted to pick up this game for full price, so this is a really nice discount. My local Best Buy has a copy in stock still too, so I don't have to pay for shipping. Bonus.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I also don't have a hard drive to spare for my Wii U and the game is supposedly internal hard drive filling so I don't really have a choice whether or not to go physical.

At the very least if it's unbearable, it will be a good nest egg when this almost invariably becomes a cult classic that goes for at least $100 like FE9 does. :v:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Carlioo posted:

You can actually try to tell Tiki that you don't want to be called big bro, but obviously it's a "but thou must!"-situation.

I know, I tried.

That said, I played until after the second dungeon's boss yesterday, and the game is a ton of fun. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did, that's for sure.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

This game rules, but it's very strange for me to hear Chrom speak in this game as a big Gintama fan.

...Not that I don't appreciate more Sugita in my life.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

As a fellow blond, I can tell you that my hair and beard are very much not the same colour. I'm more confused as to why his eyebrows are the same colour as his beard rather than his hair, which leads me to believe he's just dyed.

Tiki also has a full 3D model with as much realism as...well, a human, and apparently enough audo to serve as a Voca...excuse me, Uta-loid. Or as much as to serve as an actual living being, I don't think it's been made clear where the program ends and the Mirage begins.

I always thought that that file size was just for the Uta-Loid and that the mirage was like the other mirages, but maybe I just haven't gotten far enough in the game yet.

3gb is pretty normal for a Vocaloid by the way, with multiple pitches of almost every phoneme in a language and high quality uncompressed audio files. The average multipitch UTAU is just under 1gb, and that's with wav filed typically made outside a studio environment.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

hopeandjoy posted:

I always thought that that file size was just for the Uta-Loid and that the mirage was like the other mirages, but maybe I just haven't gotten far enough in the game yet.

3gb is pretty normal for a Vocaloid by the way, with multiple pitches of almost every phoneme in a language and high quality uncompressed audio files. The average multipitch UTAU is just under 1gb, and that's with wav filed typically made outside a studio environment.

I just actually checked the files on my computer and I was wrong. The English bank I have (which has more sounds than a Japanese bank) is 1.28gb, the average of all my multipitch UTAU is 633mb.

So she's actually heavier than real life Vocal Synths!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Drakenel posted:

Considering he can still get female paired endings, he may very well be bisexual. Though my pessimism tells me that wasn't the intent. (Writers be like 'ooh yaoi this'll sell')

He can't though? He either goes off alone or with Soren/Ranulf, there's no one else Ike has a paired ending with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Oh wow, I never noticed Ilyana is the waitress.

So I guess that's 1 and a half Tellius references in this game. Are there any other references to not FE1 or 13 in this game?

• Locked thread