Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

akadajet posted:

wait, you own a curved tv? lmao.

poty posted:

i bought a curved one because it was like 25% cheaper than flat. its not that curved

(is what i keep telling myself while weeping and shouting im not owned. im not owned)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Smythe posted:

there👏would👏be👏a👏lot👏less👏stuff👏to👏watch👏without👏ads

thats ok

actually its good

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
i would pay money to kill the advertising """"ecosystem"""" dead and piss on its rotting corpse

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Smythe posted:

there👏would👏be👏a👏lot👏less👏stuff👏to👏watch👏without👏ads

if there were 90% or even 95% less media content in the world then the world would be much much better

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Linguica posted:

I have a Samsung tv and I use the built in YouTube because it can actually stream at 4K plus it's nice to be able to use the normal remote

I know I should disable the tv's wifi and just use my chromecast but I guess I am just a dumb normie that doesn't want to have to deal with ever more CJ'ing poo poo if I can avoid it

I can use the TV remote to watch youtubes on my Sony Play Station 4 brand home computer system, via the TV.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
has this been posted yet?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

so has your wife left you or what?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Cold on a Cob posted:

Your rear end Is Mine Bail Bonds

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

fact: tolerance of advertising is a hallmark of low intelligence

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
advertising is a blight. a product you pay for showing you advertising is unacceptable. if your tv shows ads in the volume indicator, return it.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the fine foks at megacorps spending untold jillions on questionably effective ads on cable tv paid for my upbringing and way of life, and for that, i honor them - and will dedicate my life to perpetuating their shared delusion. bravo to the brave men and women in the advertising field.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
we get it, you're poor and can't pay for things

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i dont wanna pay for things

so the less that is available to me for free, the more time i have to do real things that arent media-consumption

thats probably a good thing

ps: obviously ads are blocked always. if i cant block the ad, i just leave

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

fact: tolerance of advertising is a hallmark of low intelligence

Tolerance meaning? I love commercials but mostly because they're so far from real life

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
if i feel the need to block an ad, then whatever i was looking at wasn't worth the cost.

the system works

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

infernal machines posted:

if i feel the need to block an ad, then whatever i was looking at wasn't worth the cost.

the system works

same, but the other way around. if my adblocker doesnt catch the ad, i just close the window and forget about whatever it was

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
we only have broadcast tv and our TV is dumb. we have a wdtv and a chromecast hooked up and it is good. no ads ever! we even bought an old nest that doesn't have the audio ads when you walk by!

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Beast of Bourbon posted:

audio ads when you walk by!

wait what?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

the new nests play audio ads when you activate them by proximity

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Jimmy Carter posted:

Jesus you could buy a projector and make whatever size TV you want. Spend a few extra grand and you can get one powered by lasers.

Or go insane and spend literally less than half as much on something you can light up the side of a building with

EDIT welp looks like this is the year that 4K projectors come down in price

i went one level further and spent $20 on a xenon arc slide projector so i can project up to 80 frames at 0.75 fps in broad daylight

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i have never understood why projectors are so consistently special snowflakes in that they need confirmation to turn off. sure, they are not instantaneous to turn back on, but neither is a modern tv

because if you let your projector gently caress up the warmup/cooldown cycles the bulb explodes and you have an angry customer on the phone

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

the only reason i can think of why a projector would turn itself on like that is a lot of them are mounted to a ceiling and plugged into a ceiling outlet so people probably just want to flick a light switch to turn it on

i was really surprised at how well my friend's 8 year old $500 infocus 1080p projector handled low-res stuff. the wii (480p) looked amazingly hi-res on it and didn't even look like it was being upscaled. i am not sure of the technical reason behind it.

infocus is good. my school's equipment checkout dept has these eensy weensy little infocus LED projectors that cost a zillion dollars and look like ye olde picoprojector but are as bright as the high-end projectors of olde and they're sharp and they barely get warm

the xenon thing still outmatches cree's brightest single LED. but it probably won't for long.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i went to a san francisco arts commission show and they were testing some fancy ultra-short-throw laser projectors for Christie by projecting an image like 20x10ft 6 feet away from a wall with no distortion

projectors are pretty neat

i want to build a flash projector using a long telephoto lens and an old camera with a hole cut in it but i haven't quite got around to it yet

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

reading this thread and it seems that while projectors are cool, tvs fuckin suck

humpbacked tech worker DLL lackey: "euuuuueeehh i spent four thousand dollars on my new television and it shows me ads and spies on me and gets malware! i dont understand!!!"
enlightened blue-collar proletariat: "I bought a used TV that fits nicely within my budget. It looks great and does exactly what I want it to. You might want to take a critical look at your choices."
php programming RoR gently caress wad: "no! idiot! that's not what i want!! i want a new tv!"
salt of the earth wise fellow and overall good guy: "I guess we'll both have to live with what we've got." turns to the camera and winks

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

atomicthumbs posted:

reading this thread and it seems that while projectors are cool, tvs fuckin suck

ill say tvs do 100% suck but projectors can be cool

atomicthumbs posted:

humpbacked tech worker DLL lackey: "euuuuueeehh i spent four thousand dollars on my new television and it shows me ads and spies on me and gets malware! i dont understand!!!"
enlightened blue-collar proletariat: "I bought a used TV that fits nicely within my budget. It looks great and does exactly what I want it to. You might want to take a critical look at your choices."
php programming RoR gently caress wad: "no! idiot! that's not what i want!! i want a new tv!"
salt of the earth wise fellow and overall good guy: "I guess we'll both have to live with what we've got." turns to the camera and winks

*mimes an invisible wall in front of me*
*it is curved*
gently caress this poo poo
*returns it*

*mimes a proper flat wall in front of me*

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Beast of Bourbon posted:

this can't fuckin' be serious

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Cocoa Crispies posted:

this can't fuckin' be serious

I'm calling fake news on that one, although it's just on the edge of believability

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Beast of Bourbon posted:

hahahahahaha everyone who bought that dumb poo poo is so owned if that is true

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
if it existed (and google isn't giving me anything) i would expect it to be opt-in like the kindles with ads (which don't seem to be sold anymore)

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Please say "I'm lovin' it!" in order to adjust temperature

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cold on a Cob posted:

if it existed (and google isn't giving me anything) i would expect it to be opt-in like the kindles with ads (which don't seem to be sold anymore)

most of the kindles have ads, that's what the "Includes Special Offers" bit means http://amzn.to/2lEFLIp

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Dislike button posted:

Please say "I'm lovin' it!" in order to adjust temperature

*makes pickle throwing gesture*

:(: can i change the temperature?

:awesomelon:: eventually!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cocoa Crispies posted:

most of the kindles have ads, that's what the "Includes Special Offers" bit means http://amzn.to/2lEFLIp

give him a break, dude was looking at rich people amazon like the rest of us

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Beast of Bourbon posted:

[citation needed]

nest are dumb, but I don't think they're this dumb

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ugh the nest protect keeps playing this 'monoxide detected in the hallway' ad wtf guys :rolleyes:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
my tv is an old Panasonic plasma and its too stupid to have ads. my parents have 2 Samsung lcds that are pretty recent and neither of them have ads. they do have this bug or something tho where they automatically turn motion interpolation back on definitely without any intervention from my dad.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

i don't think google even has an audio-only ad product.

wouldn't put it past some genius PM to decide that "promo-ing" dropcam/the smoke detectors in the UI doesn't count as an ad though

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
i actually had to close a ticket at work because someone went out and bought a big ole samsung 4k "smart tv" for his computer monitor, and is pissed that it has adverts.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i have a samsung 4k "smart tv" for my computer monitor*, it does not have ads.

i don't let it connect to the internet either, but there are no ads anywhere on this thing. what poo poo-rear end bargain basement tvs are you people buying? like the best buy doorcrasher specials or something?

*it's curved, but since i sit 2 feet away from it, that actually works really well.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

infernal machines posted:

i have a samsung 4k "smart tv" for my computer monitor, it does not have ads.

i don't let it connect to the internet either, but there are no ads anywhere on this thing. what poo poo-rear end bargain basement tvs are you people buying? like the best buy doorcrasher specials or something?

actually yes, that is exactly what it is. . . I did not purchase this, and I also told the person wanting it that as it was not my job to go get best buy door busters i would not be doing that (and recommended them some other displays of similar quality).

As that person has a business credit card of their own, and I cannot prevent them from connecting it to the network. . . i said "welp, the display turns on, sound actually runs sound through hdmi properly, that's the end of my support on this display"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Cocoa Crispies posted:

when i looked, i checked the canadian store and we don't seem have them anymore :shrug:

• Locked thread