Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Welp, I just called to a "personal meeting" with my boss, at 11:00 :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KozmoNaut posted:

Welp, I just called to a "personal meeting" with my boss, at 11:00 :suicide:

Fired, but it's not like I didn't see it coming.

7 months severance period with full pay, though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

Bummer, my condolences. Luckily the job market is good, and that's a pretty good severance package. PM me your LinkedIn and I'll see what I can do.

With a bit of luck, 2017 could be The Year Of The Eighteen Paychecks for you...

Thanks, PM sent.

Siochain posted:

lovely, but awesome on the severance.

I've been with the company for 9½ years, and since they fired me on the 1st, I basically get one month extra for free.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

What area do you work in, out of interest?

IT Service Management, specifically Service Level Management/Business Relationship Management.

Fancy titles for "makes IT and the business lines get along".

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

funny Star Wars parody posted:

why did they fire you if you dont mind? are they going through some kind of struggle or did you gently caress up?

how can i not gently caress up is what im asking

Restructuring, organizational changes, the usual. The entire Operations wing of the company has to improve by 700 million DKK/year over the next couple of years, so they are struggling. But it's just normal corporate bullshit, I don't think there's anything personal in it at all, I just got unlucky.

Nowhere in the papers I have to sign, does it say I spent basically 80% of my time on SA, so that's good ;)

Out of 179 people in IT Operations as of yesterday, 23 were fired. It was originally supposed to be 35(!), but due to various circumstances, layoffs were postponed and some people quit voluntarily in exchange for the same severance as if they had been fired.

Apparently what's left of my department will be moved to various other places in the company, mostly in IT Development, to foster synergy and that general sort of bullshit.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 1, 2017

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Adiabatic posted:

hows everyones febtober?

Well, I got fired, so...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

spog posted:

Well, poo poo. You okay?

Yeah, fine so far.

But it's not fun watching the company royally screw itself, especially considering how much work is going to be placed on the colleagues I'm leaving behind.

I sent out my first application yesterday, pretty solid job for my skills, based on the description. I should be able to land ~$80K/year, if I get it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

spog posted:

Good luck.

Keep banging out as many applications as you can, even if they are marginally suitable.

It's much better for morale to have something as a possibility as much as possible

I have about 8 other possible positions that are 100% right up my alley, and probably twice as many that are still good. I'll be banging out applications starting this week.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Seriously they are cool, but don't forget ear protection - and those little foam plugs to shove in your ears will not do. You need serious over the ear style stuff or else you will be yelling "WAT" at people for days straight.

If you get the good ones (3M EAR, Bilsom 303 or similar), and use them correctly, disposable foam plugs are awesome, generally -30dB of reduction or more in the critical frequencies. I see a lot of people just jam them in their ears randomly and have them sort of hanging halfway out. You really have to roll them hard and get them deep in there, if you want them to work properly.

If you need a lot of hearing protection, a decent par of over the ear muffs in addition to the plugs is the way to go.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well, I'll be damned.

Vanilla ice cream with a light drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a light sprinkle of sea salt really works. It's extremely rich and kinda decadent.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ooh, I'll have to try that.

E: Yes, that's definitely tasty too :)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

Good coffee is amazing, and doesn't have to be hard or that expensive. Good beans, freshly ground, aeropress or pour over, good water if you live somewhere with tons of calcium in the water...

The water here is so hard you get bruises when you shower.

Can't say I've ever tasted a difference in the coffee due to water mineral content. Nor in whisky, for that matter.

E: And from what I gather, minerals in the water help bind flavor compounds, so you need a certain minimum mineral content for good coffee.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

Coffee is vile, I have no understanding of how people's tastebuds adapt to make them actually like it.

Like so many other tastes that aren't immediately appealing*, it is definitely something you have to learn to appreciate. Same thing with any bitter or astringent or complex sort of flavor that isn't immediately appealing. Beer, whisky (alcohol in general really), licorice, olives, blue cheese and so on. Stuff that is extremely rewarding and highly complex taste-wise, but take some learning and getting used to.

You shouldn't ever feel forced to like something, though.

It's also likely that you simply have a more developed taste for bitterness, and that coffee is simply more bitter tasting to you, than it is to most people.

*Sweet, fatty, salty, those sort of tastes that we instinctively associate with "this is probably calorie heavy and nutritionally dense and therefore good food".

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Same here.

"I need coffee to function"

No you don't.

"I need coffee to function like a human being, teehee"

*Adds a mountain of sugar and an ocean of milk to a thimbleful of coffee*

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 9, 2017

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm fishing for idiots on facebook.

Talk about shooting fish in a barrel

Larrymer posted:

Congrats on being an internet troll.

Honestly, it's one of the most fun things you can do online, along with griefing in games.

"You can't use that weapon, it's cheap and overpowered you noob, only losers use it" :rolleyes:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's not griefing, that's shot shaming.

What I mean is that it's really fun to use the best weapons and completely own people, just to piss of the wankers who make up their own rules.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cat. Vet. Now.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

No one is ever ready for a friend's funeral.

If they are, something is seriously hosed up.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, but you're not *really* ready to say goodbye, in my experience.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:toot:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

Chermany loves their liter per 100, but at least all of Scandinavia is km/l, which obviously is equivalent to MPG just with a scaling factor.

We're gradually moving to liters/100km as well. It scales better than km/l, because people are generally more interested in how much fuel they use over a known distance, rather than how far they can go on a set amount of fuel.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Colin Furze is insane, and it's the best thing ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-e2tAUo89o

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

"Okay, my commute is 36km. My car gets 10L/100km, so 100 divided by 36 and blaaaagh I don't care anymore division is hard. Do I have enough money for the week's commute? I don't loving know."

"I have DKK100, that's about 10 liters of gas. My car uses 8L/100km, so I can go a bit over 100km on the gas that I can afford. My commute is 35 kilometers each way, so I'll need to fill up on my way home, the day after tomorrow."

It's actually pretty straightforward, but you're right that MPG is probably just ingrained in your mind from so many years of using it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm not an engineer or machinist and I understand the term. You may be working with people who pretend they have certain experience in engineering/machining.

Exactly, I'm in IT and even I know what it means to chase a thread.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

IOwnCalculus posted:

Holy hell, how did I miss that getting announced? That is one nasty bug.

The Tweet posted to get in contact with Cloudflare security is great, especially the comments.

https://twitter.com/jon_bottarini/status/832753474177609729

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

There is only one suitable ring. Plain gold in the style of the One Ring, with no inscription. Heavy and understated.

• Locked thread