Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Games vs. Nazis
February 6th - February 13th 2017

Official Jam Page: https://itch.io/jam/games-vs-nazis

Discord for matchmaking and bullshit: https://discord.gg/j8fYZAM or https://discord.gg/NgUqTnU if this runs out, pm me for a fresh invite

Games vs. Nazis is an upcoming game jam taking place from midnight CST Feb 6th to midnight CST Feb 13th. The theme is Punch Nazis. Get a team together and make a game that fits the theme in one week and submit it to the jam page linked above. All games will be played on livestream on the weekend of February 17th. Winners will be announced February 24th. Post your WIP screenshots and hilarious nazi punching gifs right here in the thread!

this jam is not affiliated with AwfulJams in any way

Cagetories
  • Best of Jam
  • Best Art
  • Best Audio
  • Best Nazi Punch

Entries will be judged by a closed panel consisting of Jason Maltzen (RIFT, The Banner Saga 2), John Warren (Project Tingler), krillininthename (Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015: Do You Still Shower With Your Dad), SnowSchu, and Xibanya.

Prizes
Entry in the jam is both free of charge and free to the public, but I encourage you to donate to the prize pool here: https://www.gofundme.com/games-vs-nazis-prize-pool 100% of the prize pool will be donated to the Best of Jam winner's choice of the SPLC or RAINN.

Also there will be other prizes! Probably steam codes! This will be finalized and public by EOD Saturday, February 4th.

Jam Rules
  • Don't use other people's stuff without permission
  • Nazis are bad

:siren: This thread is for discussing the game jam, the games being entered in it, and the donations only. Your friendly moderating staff has informed me that anyone discussing politics will face their ire! :siren:

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
:godwinning: FAQ :godwinning:

Q: I've never made a game before, can I enter?
A: Yes

Q: I'm not very good at making games, should I enter?

Q: What time zone are the start and end dates determined by?
A: CST

Q: When can I start working on my game?
A: 00:00 CST on February 6th, 2017

Q: Can I keep working on my game after submission?
A: You can modify the public-facing build as much as you want, but judging will be based on the build that was submitted at the close of the jam.

Q: Can I use gamemaker/my own boilerplate/existing game engine?

Q: Can I use copyrighted music?
A: I won't disqualify you but I rather you didn't. Since the jam's theme is contentious it would be good to not bring other people's stuff into it without their permission.

Q: What is max team size?
A: The sky's the limit

Q: Can non-goons enter?
A: Yes, tell all your friends

Q: Can my game feature Richard Spencer?

Q: Can my game feature a public figure who coyly implies they support white supremacist causes but who never says it directly?
A: Please don't

Q: Can my game depict killing literal WWII era Nazis?

Q: Can my game depict killing anyone alive right now?
A: NO

Q: Should I punch a nazi?

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 3, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
This jam is in the Nazi punching business.

And coder, business is a boomin!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I've been trying really hard to come up with a solid idea for this for the last week or so since I heard about it but nothing's come together yet. If I can, though, better get ready for TEAM PUNCH FIGHT's first game actually involving punching in years.

It's probably going to be chill management game (like mini metro) about combating the spread of fascist ideas.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
If you're looking to join a team, in addition to posting here, there's now also a discord for matchmaking and such, pm me for an invite link (took down public one as it got raided for all of five minutes by 8chan :rolleyes:)

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 1, 2017

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
My idea is Café Wolfenstein, a game about resistance through coronaries. You operate a diner in Berlin that's very popular with the top brass of the Third Reich. By serving up the greasiest, most artery-clogging, double-deep fried meals possible, you turn the Nazi war machine into something that can't talk without sweating, and has a life expectancy of suppertime. Make that lunch, if they decide to supersize the Triple Bacon Cheese Wurstburger.

In theory it's something between a clicker and a management sim. Buy new stuff for your kitchen, ingredients, recipes, from the money you make. Manage the balance between deliciousness and grease to ensure they keep coming back for more. Get a bounty every time a Nazi keels over. That sort of thing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Edit: bad touch

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 1, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Arcsquad12 posted:

My idea is Jontron in an SS uniform and instead of making a game it's a bunch of protesters punching out Jontron and the game jam devs.

:eyepop:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I liked his video about the poorly animated, go-kart racing animals that was somehow a religious production.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Arcsquad12 posted:

My idea is Jontron in an SS uniform and instead of making a game it's a bunch of protesters punching out Jontron and the game jam devs.

Echhh

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

Don't try to derail the thread.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay sorry.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Here's an open invite to the discord again: https://discord.gg/NgUqTnU

This one has limited uses. I'll keep my eye on it but if it runs out before I post another one then give me a shout.

Also I've been working with event organizers in my at the Austin IGDA about having a showcase of some of the games that are entered. If you are cool with your game getting demoed in public, let me know. This wouldn't be happening until mid-March though, so you've got a lot of time to decide (and further tweak your game post-jam!)

And now that I've been asked questions frequently about the jam here and elsewhere, there is now a nifty Nazi Punching FAQ in the post below the OP :godwinning:

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 6, 2017

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
if anyone needs authentic voice acting from a native german speaker that can decently imitate nazi propaganda newsreel speakers hit me up :godwinning:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

More games should feature nazis as the good guys.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

qnqnx posted:

:eyepop:

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

qnqnx posted:

The good man from Nanking - The Game

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

That would make a decent collectathon.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Wonder if anyone's gonna go with a "but you are the nazi" thing and the endgame is just punching yourself or punching whoever said that.

I probably won't join but just giving ideas.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

widespread posted:

Wonder if anyone's gonna go with a "but you are the nazi" thing and the endgame is just punching yourself or punching whoever said that.

Self harm and self hatred are terrible ways to live. Be proud of yourself.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

qnqnx posted:

Self harm and self hatred are terrible ways to live. Be proud of yourself.

To be honest, you could make it a lot lighter by going "No John, you are the demons nazis".

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I'm in and excited and we're going to (very loosely) physically simulate the nazi without worrying about unstable geometry.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

widespread posted:

So a punching variant of Bunker Blaster?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
The game jam has started! Best of luck everyone! I did update the rules before the start of the jam but it's stuff that I'm sure y'all already knew. Like don't make a game that gets the secret service called on you, jfc.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
edit: wrong thread!

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I'm not a game designer, but I'm pumped for this jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVTbXRhDlcw&t=27s

Goldsnake
Apr 9, 2015

Punching nazis? Yes, please.

Railing Kill posted:

I'm not a game designer, but I'm pumped for this jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVTbXRhDlcw&t=27s

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Fuego Fish posted:

My idea is Café Wolfenstein, a game about resistance through coronaries. You operate a diner in Berlin that's very popular with the top brass of the Third Reich. By serving up the greasiest, most artery-clogging, double-deep fried meals possible, you turn the Nazi war machine into something that can't talk without sweating, and has a life expectancy of suppertime. Make that lunch, if they decide to supersize the Triple Bacon Cheese Wurstburger.

In theory it's something between a clicker and a management sim. Buy new stuff for your kitchen, ingredients, recipes, from the money you make. Manage the balance between deliciousness and grease to ensure they keep coming back for more. Get a bounty every time a Nazi keels over. That sort of thing.
You could try to get the entire German High Command to take on Theo Morrell as their doctor.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Would Goering be the final boss of Cafe Wolfenstein? He eats all your worst meals and just keeps coming.

Alternatively, General Burkhalter shows up from Hogan's Heroes, the only Nazi general fatter than Goering.

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
I have no idea what my game is going to be

https://twitter.com/Afal/status/825062024375832578

https://twitter.com/Afal/status/829073043242754049

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wish my day job hadn't utterly wrecked my free time otherwise I'd be at least attempting this, but I am looking forward to seeing what comes of this jam.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
In addition to Afal's remarkable artistry, there are some great WIP gifs on twitter from non-goon participants, like this one:

https://twitter.com/DareLooks/status/829060494136848386

:allears:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Fuego have you seen Allo Allo?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Shoehead posted:

Fuego have you seen Allo Allo?

I'm British, so yes.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh good. You're defo qualified to work on something about cafés that Nazis frequent.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Arcsquad12 posted:

lol anyone who disagrees with the hivemind deserves to be punished

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Xibanya posted:

Here's an open invite to the discord again: https://discord.gg/NgUqTnU

This one has limited uses. I'll keep my eye on it but if it runs out before I post another one then give me a shout.

Also I've been working with event organizers in my at the Austin IGDA about having a showcase of some of the games that are entered. If you are cool with your game getting demoed in public, let me know. This wouldn't be happening until mid-March though, so you've got a lot of time to decide (and further tweak your game post-jam!)

And now that I've been asked questions frequently about the jam here and elsewhere, there is now a nifty Nazi Punching FAQ in the post below the OP :godwinning:

Curious about where the demo would be in Austin (and now, who you are) :)

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

You guys can all go home now, we've already won.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Got one submission already! Can't wait to see how many I actually get by Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
24 entries submitted! Livestream of the games going on this Friday and Saturday, check this for the schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ept9_zRwA0nVpDL50Kz-HeagbhlaaW1EfW91Dpkcyn0/edit?usp=sharing

• Locked thread