Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

big money big clit posted:

There's this idea that the UFC must have the best fighters, but we've seen from the WEC and Strikeforce acquisitions that there were a lot of excellent fighters fighting under other banners, and the UFC still continued to grow substantially.

At that point in time, the UFC was only doing like a dozen-ish cards a year with plenty of room to grow. Now we're sitting on ~card a week and they're losing prospects and names to other orgs.

I already don't give a gently caress about most of any given card and I'm a fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Dan Didio posted:

I think matchmaking and hiring practices have had a lot to do with it too, but I guess we'll see.

I get the feeling that the worst decision new management has made thus far is letting Joe Silva walk. 2014 was absolutely ravaged by main events falling apart and yet the year itself was great in no small part because he and Shelby got really loving good at their jobs.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Memento posted:

He retired though, right? If he wanted out there's very little they could have done to stop him.

Throw more money at him and keep him as a consultant and have some puppet hold the phone and deal with the idiot child fighters. You literally cannot afford to lose a man with that degree of knowledge to retirement.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

no point just relying on him either .. i think the matchmaking is fine anyway

he's only just left. also by all means don't rely on him, but definitely secure the services of a man who is more knowledgeable on the subject of mma than anyone breathing. especially if you run an mma company. or don't i'm not a businessman and for good reason.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Skip My Posts posted:

i think silva was gone no matter what, he got a huge payoff with the sale

Whoa he was a part owner? Cool. I can understand if he's now a billionaire or w/e. I was operating on the assumption that he just happened to leave when the management changed.

Dangersim posted:

I think dealing with the fighters was one of his best skills though

Definitely, but semi retirement shouldn't involve 3am calls from Chris avila

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lombard entering the ufc with an unassailable reputation for being a killer and promptly making GBS threads the bed in his first fight and just generally losing in really cathartic ways is one of life's small but precious gifts.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

He's at heavyweight, it's actually possible to have a massive win-streak while really, really bad.

are we talking about browne or derrick lewis?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

manyak posted:

Ill admit i thought Browne was probably gonna beat Da Black Beast, he used to have a really good chin which let him get away with a lot like when he came back to beat Overeem, but it seems like its fading a bit after getting punched really hard 10000 times in each of his last several fights

If Browne had any fight iq at all he could have finished da beast in the first imo. And he took a loving flogging before that freak shot to the crown put him down so I don't know if his chin was going before the fight (though it may well be gone now).

Skip My Posts posted:

hunt seems like a bad matchup for lewis

Yeah. It's bad news for him. He should be hoping overeem wins, though he's been calling out hunt for a while.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Skip My Posts posted:

someone said browne looks like a drunk uncle who's loving around with you pretending to know karate in the kitchen

Hahaha

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Gramps posted:

Sombody hurt Travie's feelies

Hahaha I actually agree witwthe sentiment but now that he's posted it on twitter I feel differently.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

chaleski posted:

GSP would double-leg Conor into the cheap seats, if GSP can make 155 comfortably then I think that's the worst possible matchup for him

Outside of boxing Mayweather of course

Yeah.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

How is Jack Slack? Does he actually know what he's talking about or does the accent just fool me into thinking he's intelligent?

he knows what he's talking about with the standup. ground work he's learning but if someone you actually know contradicts him believe them

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i come home from a hard days work and lord waffle loving beard is posting some trumped up poo poo on a bad webzone

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

tumor looking batty posted:

Cruz actually won the fight against No Love since you learn more from failing and learning from your mistakes.

it was gsp's two losses that propelled him from talented to possibly the greatest fighter to have ever done it. so on a long enough timeline, err, maybe.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

You and the other guy signed a contract to hurt each other as much as possible under a certain rule set until either one specific man says stop or a bell rings. If that one specific man hasn't stopped you and a bell hasn't rang I'm not going to look down on you for not being a gentleman to a guy who seconds previous was attempting to maim / kill you.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I used to judge people for hitting the unconscious man they were fighting sometimes less than 1 second ago but then I remember that they've been hit in the head a hundred times and their body is only still working because every cell is screaming to their brain that they're either getting chased by a lion or fighting one, doesn't matter, here's the stuff needed to be as effective at that poo poo as possible.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

LobsterMobster posted:

Marc "Bonecrusher" Diakiese, allegedly a UFC fighter, will be in the new issue of Gay Times magazine

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ0qJVNBR6X/

I recognise that guy! From fighting, not gay literature (I assume).

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

CommonShore posted:

he's not gay

drat...

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

BlindSite posted:

In some instance like the black beast v browne fight, fair enough but hendo publicly said that he knew Bisping was out and hit him anyway and it was pretty obvious he hated lombard too.

That makes it malicious rather than competitive or adrenaline imo.

Just because he made the conscious decision to drop it on him doesn't mean his decision making process wasn't impaired by adrenaline.

I wouldn't like any decision I made literally seconds after being in a confrontation to be held against me as representative of my personality. I'm actually a bit of a oval office when I'm concerned for my safety. Generally though I try to not be a oval office.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

BlindSite posted:

So can we all be but I dont have 47 professional fights and a wreslting career spanning 17 years.

Circumstances can be mitigating but you're still responsible for your actions and if youre the only one doing it its a bit weak to say "oh his blood was up".

Plenty of fighters who fight with emotion don't pull the poo poo he did/does.

Its almost the same as doing what Palheres has done countless times. Not one person wrote off his bullshit as "heat of the moment" and you probably shouldn't just because Hendo is a cool dude.

It's completely different from palhares because the ref was trying to stop it. I personally have never acted in a particularly vicious manner to a defeated opponent, but I'm not going to blame the ones who hear FINISH HIM and no one's stopped them yet. It's within the rules. It's what both parties signed on for.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

re-watching barboza / fergusson for like the sixth time and holy poo poo it is so sick.

the most remarkable facet of this fight that is made up almost entirely of remarkable facets is big john getting on my tits. post fergusson's insanely illegal upkick to barboza's skull big john immediately said 'you're not hurt, get up'. gently caress you big john.

anyway i have no idea how fergusson is going to hold up against khabib but i do know all those empty seats in the arena are unwarranted.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Work Friend Keven posted:

Usada formally apologizes to Cyborg for thinking she was on steroids, bans "Dirty" Dave Pentz for nine years for the use of (checking notes) those mints you got to pick up with the little spoon, unwrapped diner mints .

Hahaha

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

They gotta learn sometime

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

even if khabib can dominate tony on the ground, khabib has slowed down in the third before and he's never gone five. and tony will not be easy to hold down for any amount of time. i'm thinking tony takes this, and will bet that way, but honestly either outcome will be sick and the fight cannot be bad.

oh and maia / masvidal is confirmed apparently. did we already discuss this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Digital Jedi posted:

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/836749631128240128

With the title fight this weekend surprising a bit that Maia accepted a fight.

gsp is coming back. maia needs to stay relevant. he can't just hope for a woodley.

• Locked thread