Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tsyni posted:

What would happen if Conor was losing the fight and decided to just throw a head kick and knock Floyd out. He would be disqualified, but he'd still get paid, right?

Dumb question: if you are competing in boxing and then kick a dude in the head (which is explicitly against the rules and therefore not possible for your opponent to anticipate), is there a potential for criminal charges, or does the legal structure that lets consenting people kick each others' asses in the ring protect the kicker in this situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Remember when someone asked James Toney if he knew how to check kicks and he was like "Yeah man I know Czech kicks, karate kicks, roundhouse kicks..."

My favorite was his story of his dad being a "death fighter" and him being a gold belt level grappler.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dangersim posted:

New topic: Fedor is absolutely one of the top 5 fighters of all time. Discuss

dangersim confirmed as paid kremlin poster

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

BlindSite posted:

Why are you arguing about a fight that isnt happening and that wont happen?

Barao and choi is apparently off as well as jj wtf ufc, make some cool fights already.

There's a lot of conjecture out there, but I'll be really interested to read analysis of this period of the UFC in a few years when writers might be able to dig more into the details of this whole ownership transition. A lot of things feel really odd about the last few months, but I also feel like people are looking for stuff to find weird and confirmation bias kicks in. It's not that uncommon for fights to be called off for reasons that only become public much later but it feels more noticeable right now.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

I cannot wait for powerful and handsome double-legs to return to the welterweight division.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Work Friend Keven posted:

Ehhh I have ouune more request ehhh, I wish to fight against ehh floyd mayweather.

that would rapidly translate "floyd's legs are gone" to a literal statement

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

tesilential posted:

I don't see him beating Woodley or Thompson at this point. Lawlor would be competitive but I might pick GSP.

GSP would definitely beat Tom Lawlor.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ironic Twist posted:

Who's David Branch's first opponent going to be, my money is on Alvey

I don't know but they'll definitely be bringing the heat

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gay Horney posted:

GSP vs nick Diaz is the only fight that makes sense for either fighter..

i am not impressed by your poor finance

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Spring Break My Heart posted:

He named his kids Thor and Maximus.

Is that better or worse than Ronin and Kage?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

lol

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
did anyone post eddie bravo yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtyqaFc-8LQ

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Also, is that Street Doctors video real...and is that CXB? :stare:

it is very real and that is very much cxb. i think the ethnically ambiguous but definitely not black guy dropping n-bombs was worse than cxb's cookie-monster-sex-whisper rap flow though.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The way he fakes the left as the start of a rushing-in combo to get his opponent's hands up is super cool

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

-Atom- posted:

who needs Reddit when you have Skip My Posts around

who needs jokes when we can just say names of things vaguely near each other.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

1st AD posted:

Cloning is unethical and I think it is unconscionable that there is another Sage out there causing envy and lust now for all genders.

what is on that guy's face on the right?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gay Horney posted:

He is an African American. Please try to display more sensitivity

lol. 4 real behind him though. is it facepaint, badr hari syndrome, or ash wednesday gone wrong?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

I.N.R.I posted:

He should fight sage northcutt

ufc ppvs are not broadcast from inside apartment buildings afaik

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bluedeanie posted:

That is insane and stupid, to me.

spironolactone is a blood pressure medication that is used off-label to suppress free testosterone levels in the blood. you take it to either suppress natural testosterone or to mask exogenous testosterone. the diuretic effects are a side-effect and probably a distraction from what she was actually taking it for.

a common use of it in women is to treat pcos, and one of the symptoms of pcos is masculinization of the body. given that usada agreed to make the tue retroactive there must be something in her medical record that sold them that she really needed it, so maybe it's possible we've been calling her a roider this whole time when she really has messed up ovaries?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

manyak posted:

Occams razor says she probably has an ovary disease that she just never brings up as a valid excuse for why she takes steroids, and the other time she got caught taking anabolic steroids was a false flag

i mean obviously we have no way of knowing, but since usada is considered to be fairly competent and they were convinced by whatever her doctor showed them, it's a reasonable explanation. but you're certainly right that she's popped in the past and whatever she has now could be a symptom of her previous steroid abuse.

what's their exact regs on the use of one banned substance to treat bodily injury caused by another banned substance that they're no longer taking?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Marching Powder posted:

I really, really want to hear the reason.

I mean, this part makes it seem like at least the records were convincing, so unless USADA uses Chael's tiny balls doctor to do reviews or her own doctors are very good at faking charts, there was something in there that was legitimate to them(bolding mine):

quote:

Under the UFC TUE Policy, to receive approval of a TUE, athletes must submit medical records demonstrating a verifiable medical diagnosis and legitimate medical need for the requested medication in accordance with the applicable WADA guidelines. At least two members of USADA’s independent TUE Committee (TUEC) – comprised of medical experts with various areas of expertise from around the U.S. – must individually review the TUE application, after which a recommendation is made to USADA as to whether the TUE should be granted or denied.

In the case of Justino, the application for a TUE was granted because the athlete had an unequivocally diagnosed chronic medical condition for which the use of Spironolactone is the appropriate standard of care. Further, it was determined that the athlete and her medical team pursued and exhausted all non-prohibited alternatives and that the low dose of the medication is consistent with best medical practice to treat her condition and would return the athlete to a normal state of health without providing a performance-enhancing benefit.

That's pretty strong language if the evidence is weak.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Work Friend Keven posted:

Cybort is finally free to turn down fights again. Thank god.

this is a much better analysis of the situation

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
so is it confirmed yet that lewis grabbing his tummy after every body shot was just browne knocking his poops around uncomfortably?

i think that card had the starkest contrast between the fun moments and the painfully boring moments that i've seen in a while. watching browne get ko'd is always satisfying and i'm always happy to see lombard lose, but then a bunch of fights were just plaintive striking exchanges with not much happening and randa markos used the back pain striking technique but still won for some reason.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

black snake moan is a movie about a magical negro saving a girl from her dark sexual nature by chaining her to a radiator. i have no comment about the tweet.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

BlindSite posted:

If its a story about a white girl making GBS threads in the woods to escape her demons you cant exactly say its inaccurate.

lol

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Captain Log posted:

I never saw the film. Is it cringey like when Stephen King has pre-teens loving or cringey in the magical negro trope way?

The latter. A magical swamp negro who heals with his blues guitar. Played by Samuel L Jackson.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Captain Log posted:

Worth a watch? Green Mile showed the trope works when done well.

no. i only saw it because the dvd was 49 cents when the blockbuster went out of business. i overpaid by at least 50 cents.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Captain Log posted:

I trust this forum's opinion on non-MMA things. Thank you. (What's wrong with me?!)

eat a durian

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Black snake moan is worth a watch

your posting persona is taking a dark new direction with this cosbyposting

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fat Twitter Man posted:

bloodyelbow is the best mma news site and that is a really sad thing to say

i miss holdyourfoot

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Trast posted:

Joanna going to add another scalp to her belt. It will be a good fight though.

Andrade did not gas as hard as I would have expected her to in her last fight. Joanna will still win but it might look more like the Gadelha 2 than Esparza.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The thing in this fight is that Joanna is very hittable and can be taken down. She just has a great chin and is good at getting up. Gadelha took the fight to her pretty hard in the early rounds and Joanna was only able to run away with it once Gadelha was worn down and Joanna could punch her a lot without as much interruption.

I think Andrade is physically stronger than Gadelha and, like I said before, her gas tank is better than I expected given her size. If she can hit Joanna a bunch and also take her down with decent frequency, I could see the first 3-4 rounds being difficult for Joanna and hard to score overall. I still think Joanna will win but I don't think it will be the sort of stunning beatdown that people have come to expect from her.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
he was one of the "next anderson silvas" wasn't he?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CommonShore posted:

He had some hype behind him for a bit because he was a non-American fighter with a 4-fight win streak at 155 - the same night as the Barboza KO, Edgar extended his streak to 4 by beating BJ Penn and becoming champ. The only other fighters I can remember with 4+ at that time were Maynard and Miller, so it was a significant achievement at that time. And for comparison, a 4-fight run got Clay Guida into a title eliminator vs Bendo a year later.

yeah, i just remember specifically that he was one of those guys that dana and joe would refer to as possibly being another anderson during prefight hype videos and whatnot.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CommonShore posted:

I just did some reading on it, and it appears that he's included as a heterosexual model in this mix of gay models, and he's doing so to make a personal statement of inclusivity.

So he's not gay, he's just saying that he's happy to have gay men admire his bare chest.

That's really cool.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CommonShore posted:

Oh I also just learned that the old guitarist from Anthrax apparently gave up his secondary career as a luxury watch maker and will be fighting Mark Godbeer at UFC 209.

this sentence of real words is nevertheless surreal in the extreme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Digital Jedi posted:

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/836749631128240128

With the title fight this weekend surprising a bit that Maia accepted a fight.

At this point I believe they want Lobov to be the first in octagon death. Cub is a tough loving fight for a guy who only has a job due to nepotism.

• Locked thread