Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Those were some good goddamn episodes. The little disagreement between Miller and Amos in the galley was fantastic. Wes Chatham is a great Amos, couldn't be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Watching , just popped in to say "I told him to Stay Down"

Amos... never change.

He sounded so hurt about it! Like a kid!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

There was a slight time lapse in the scene between Naomi and Holden. They go from half nude to completely naked when the camera is looking through the door.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Dessel posted:

Who's the young woman that looks like to be Fred's "2nd in command?" Liked her shouting to the belters before the mission started, also the body language in that scene was incredible.

I think it's Sam, but I don't have any actual idea.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

gohmak posted:

http://i.imgur.com/JsC80QS.mp4

These two just get Miller and Amos.

Those eyes on Chatham, goddamn.

I have to say one thing that's coming across in the show that didn't quite come across so clearly in the books is just why Naomi and Amos ended up partnered as they are. [Book Spoiler, Nemesis Games] Amos is basically a replacement son for her.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I think there's a few behind the scenes shots on Corey's Twitter account that shows just how big Adams is.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

INTJ Mastermind posted:

It's not like Mars has the capability or desire to slog it out in a ground campaign across all 7 continents. Achieving control of low Earth orbit and threatening to nuke its cities from space should be enough to bring the UN to the bargaining table.

I'm pretty sure Earth would call their bluff. I think everyone in the world of the Expanse is aware how easy it is to kill civilizations once you reach space flight, and is aware that no government has the sheer insane ruthlessness to do it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

ATP_Power posted:

If the books are a guide the Martian government seems like a pretty recognizable modern congressional republic, but the mechanics of the Earth and Mars governments aren't explored in great detail I don't remember if they even say if it's a parliamentary system or a US style system.

I think Babylon's Ashes made it sound like a parliamentary system.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

My favorite part of people getting worked up about being "spoiled" is when they think they've been spoiled and they haven't. If you somehow got Amos' backstory from uber_stoat's post then, well, you're some kind of oracle.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I really liked the sequence with Naomi dancing and Alex running the simulation again and again. I think that was neat.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Has Sam been in the show? It seems like maybe they're combining Sam and Drummer by introducing her that early and having her do tech stuff/hang with Naomi.

I think Sam was shown once in Season 1, in a scene with Fred where she was sitting at a terminal, but she wasn't a redhead. It feels like they're definitely combining Drummer and Sam at this point.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Counterpoint: medicine has advanced to the point where limbs can be re‐grown, cancer is a non‐issue, and “juice” exists to at least temporarily protect from high‐g manœuvres.

Cancer is a non-issue providing you take a certain drug for the rest of your life. If you stop taking it, you'll start getting tumors.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Tree Dude posted:

Am I wrong or did they solve this on the show with the implant thing in their arms? That was the impression I got but could be mistaken.

That's just the injection point. Amos gives Miller some meds when he meets him in the bar.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Was that ship really called the Marasmus?

"Marasmus is a form of severe malnutrition characterized by energy deficiency."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

It'd be hard to catch up to the Nauvoo, wouldn't it? I think we can assume she accelerated the entire way to Eros, and is probably still accelerating as she missed.

So, good luck getting your ship back, Mormnos. She's going to a new sun. :unsmith:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Inspector 34 posted:

If a semi truck is on a collision course with city hall, but then city hall side steps it, that doesn't mean the semi truck is lost forever. Just means it's going to maybe carry on through the town for a bit.

Is this a serious post, my dude?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Now that was an episode. I really liked the scene between Julie and Miller. I know it's really creepy because he's obsessed with her, but I do like that he found some solace there, and that Julie - or the thing that thought like Julie and had her memories and personality, however you might view it - did so too.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

I think the biggest difference between book and show Eros was that the former pushed the angry nightmare world angle. Book Eros was filled with moving half-formed humanlike monstrosities, and was reflected in the iconic Julie scream when Eros first woke up. TV Eros was more mysterious and beautiful, and was reflected by the blue filter over all the scenes shot inside. A shame no semblance of the scream made it in, but I suppose the writers felt that it didn't fit.

It feels like they wanted to keep the Julie reveal to this episode, where that scream might have made it a bit too apparent?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Was the music playing during the scene between Miller and Julie an original by Clinton Shorter or was it from another source? It feels like something by Max Richter.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Echopraxia took me two readings to really 'get'. It isn't as immediately fantastic as Blindsight but it's a good sequel and makes you view the first book in a different light.

And Watts has great prose.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Xealot posted:

Wouldn't a replicant / AI serve a similar function that's less idiosyncratic to the setting?

Perhaps, but Watts also makes a series of arguments about intelligence and consciousness and the imperfect nature of evolution when faced with unforeseen developments, and the vampires are basically there to make his rhetorical points clear. Sarasti (the vampire in question) is also a very intriguing character. And, if you recognise that name from The Witcher 3, it was a deliberate reference to the novel.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

VagueRant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktnPXYSaqGg
preview scene for ep 6. Good scene. Lots of Amos.

Haha, they kept one of my favorite Amos lines!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

i wonder if the martians who are naval officers operating on their pride of the fleet symbol flagship would be better than a bunch of young kids who seem fresh out of some kind of ground pounding army training ground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0&t=162s

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

It would've been pretty easy to use the captured Donnager to false flag some attacks on Earth assets, too.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

ATP_Power posted:

But where's the ring?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I love Drummer's space accent. It makes me think of Cantonese-accented English.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

So we're back to the tried and true belief that goons hate nothing more than someone with Incorrect Political Opinions, even in a fake space future.

Like I get the impression people don't want Avasarala and Dawes and factions and this and that. They just want some politically perfect, rational visionary to right every wrong in the setting and then drop an "i told you so GBS-brand-communism is king".

Male character going through trauma: tough, strong, cool dude, manly tears

Female character going through trauma: mentally-ill waifu broke-brain valkyries broken doll violence engines turbo Hitler

Characters along those lines exist (River from Firefly, absolutely) but equating Bobbie to that is weird.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

jfood posted:

What exactly are the internally developed motivations and emotional content of the character? There aren't any. It's external factors all the way down.

Trying to equate that with actual femisist ideology is laughable, cuz she ain't even a person let alone a woman. Just a collection of parts stitched together.

But hey, you can wank to it, so grind on that defensive line as hard as you can.

Talk about broke brain'd! :captainpop:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Julie Mao, the pretty and intelligent social revolutionary who beats people up and welcomes in and kisses the much older man who is obsessed with her: good.

Bobbie Draper, the military woman who just watched her friends get murdered by an alien monster and is faced with losing her faith in Mars and the people she serves and is understandably a bit distraught: bad.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

you're actually all wrong about bobbie because she's a Broke Brain Valkyrie Hitler, sorry

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Woden posted:

So the botanist is a new character for whoever played Miller in the PnP game right? Jeez dude write a new back story.

Same haircut, too. :shepface:

Drummer is a beast. Big fan of Mei and Prax.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So why was Johnson so pissed off with Holden at the end? That seemed pretty out of left-field. They had one disagreement about the feasibility of going to Ganymede. Hardly seems like the thing that would push him into revoking their right to dock at the station.

I'm not sure. Did Holden's actions at the little debate between Dawes and Johnson maybe precipitate the attempted coup in this episode? That was my thoughts but I'm not sure how good my memory is.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

In the books, Holden has been working for the OPA for a year or so as a pirate hunter. Him and Fred argue about Ganymede as Phi230 said.

Unfortunately, it looks like the show cut the bit where Fred just tears Holden to bits, because it doesn't fit at all with the compressed plot.

“You gave me the only sample we knew of. But you assume that if you don’t know about it, it doesn’t exist. I’ve been putting up with your bullshit for over a year now. This idea you have that the universe owes you answers. This righteous indignation you wield like a club at everyone around you. But I don’t have to put up with your poo poo."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I think living on Basic is described on the books (Nemesis Games, maybe?) as like: some kind of gruel that'll keep you alive, some kind of health drugs that'll keep you alive, and access to a severely cut-down version of their Internet equivalent.

It sounds pretty terrible.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Dreylad posted:

All that chat about the preview and nothing about Avasarala's smiling "Wherever I goddamn liiiiiike"? Come on thread!

I liked her "Whoever the gently caress you are, sit down" comment.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

There are people who think trailers are spoilers.

Spoiler culture is beyond stupid.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

The most amazing thing people have missed is that post-Eros Amos is literate but pre-Eros Amos can't read. This is also why Brad Pitt was considered for the role of Amos.

To be fair, PreAmos hides his illiteracy from th other characters, and by extension the viewers, very well.

Wait, what?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

johnsonrod posted:

I never got why people liked Avasarala in the books so much. I didn't dislike her really but the whole "grandma with an attitude" never really did it for me. Shohreh Aghdashloo's take on her though has made her probably my favourite character on the show. Every scene with her is amazing. That whole interview scene with Bobbie was great.

I liked her immediately because I immediately had Aghdashloo's voice in my head when she's just swearing at people, dropping sick burns on others, and generally being the most powerful woman on Earth.

So, when they announced the casting...

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZeuWAT9zgA

CANNED CHICKEN!!! I DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH CHICKEN!!!!!!!!

I hope we're going to get Amos's whole thing about the canned chicken!! :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

yeah you should delete that line because the show is nowhere near that point and it's a big spoiler

This is a pretty good impression of the thread, IMO.

• Locked thread