Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

nopants posted:

It's pretty obvious that the Martian captain was shot in the back by an assassin. However, upon closer inspection, it appears the assassin was shot as well. Who assassinated the assassin?

Proto-assassin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

counterfeitsaint posted:

The Nauvoo flyby doesn't really count, because that's an example of space being bent and moved in a way that we don't understand or can describe with our current understanding of physics, of course it's gonna look a little strange.
What?

The Nauvoo was supposed to have racked up like more than 20000 kilometers per second and supposed to hit Eros perpendicular to its orbit. Did that fly-by look anything like >20000kps?

That's what I mean. The Nauvoo was slow for visual effect. Planets might be big for visual effect.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The whole Holden telling the crew he's banging Naomi scene was the funniest thing on TV i've seen months.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

etalian posted:

The whole Holden telling the crew he's banging Naomi scene was the funniest thing on TV i've seen months.

His exchange with Amos after the reveal is definitely one of my favorite Amos moments, save for all the others.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MizPiz posted:

His exchange with Amos after the reveal is definitely one of my favorite Amos moments, save for all the others.

Also his face when Alex and Amos gave him a unexpected reaction.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

What?

The Nauvoo was supposed to have racked up like more than 20000 kilometers per second and supposed to hit Eros perpendicular to its orbit. Did that fly-by look anything like >20000kps?

That's what I mean. The Nauvoo was slow for visual effect. Planets might be big for visual effect.
E:This may be a stupid question, as my understanding of physics is super rusty. Just humor me for a sec.

I know that the show-runner has already said that they were using artistic license for dramatic effect, But wouldn't special relativistic time dilation come into play here? Especially considering that the speed Eros moved as The Navoo passed is considered to be mindbogglingly impossible under their understanding of physics?

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003
It accelerated like a motherfucker, especially considering that it's ~7 teratons, but it was never moving at relativistic speeds. The Rocinante was able to catch up with it and stay close for a long time.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Svaha posted:

E:This may be a stupid question, as my understanding of physics is super rusty. Just humor me for a sec.

I know that the show-runner has already said that they were using artistic license for dramatic effect, But wouldn't special relativistic time dilation come into play here? Especially considering that the speed Eros moved as The Navoo passed is considered to be mindbogglingly impossible under their understanding of physics?

The impossibleness was due to such a huge mass accelerating so quickly without any apparent means of propulsion, not the speed at which it moved. Afterall, the Roci was able to keep up with it, so it's doubtful they were moving at any appreciable fraction of the speed of light.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Acceleration doesn't have anything to do directly with the speed of light. If the Eros accelerates at 5g and the Roci can, too, it'll keep pace. If they keep accelerating at 5g for weeks, both will reach an appreciable fraction of the speed of light.

Also, time dilation doesn't happen in your own frame of reference. All Eros saw is a rock coming in sideways at some 20000km/s. Actually, given it has an orbital velocity of similar speeds, given the right angle impact poo poo, some semblance of Pythagoras applies, actual impact speed would have been way more.

Either way, the point was, Miller shouldn't even have seen it coming and passing. I think in the book, the Roci crew was expecting an impact to happen out of the blue (--edit: kind of like shooting at a melon, you don't see the bullet strolling), and suddenly noticed Eros made a jump to the right and everyone had their jaw on the floor.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 4, 2017

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

I recall the nauvoo missing being something that happened very suddenly from all frames of reference. Like blink and youll miss it fast which makes perfect sense at the velocities involved.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Y'all need to get your units straight. 20,000 km/s is 6.7% of the speed of light. The Nauvoo wasn't going that fast. 20,000 m/s, or 20 km/s, is a lot more reasonable (but still insanely fast).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

20km/s takes like 34 minutes at 1g.

Also I just checked the episode. Their HUD said ~18900km/s before they cut away.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Strategic Tea posted:

UN point defence can't melt space mirrors :byodood:

I heard "pull it" over the coms man.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 4, 2017

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Svaha posted:

No, the Nauvoo was going real quick but not even remotely close to the speeds you need that noticeable relativistic issues are playing in. I mean if you were coordinating computers or something it would but it's not going to look weird. It'd be going so fast your eye might not even see the thing, or at least it'd be long gone before your brain registered that you saw it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You're right that visually it shouldn't have appeared to pass way faster, but what I'm saying is that during the scene, your point of reference is Miller standing on Eros. Your point of reference is not following the laws of physics, moving without accelerating, so who knows what it would actually look like from there.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Speaking of Mars, they had to adjust one of the 6 satellites in orbit because it was projected to be within about 7 seconds of hitting Phobos in its orbital path.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Mars should take reparations by replacing Deimos with an object similar in size.

I propose 26858 Misterrogers.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Toast Museum posted:

That's an interesting question. I have no idea how badly it'd tear up the hull, but I think the radiation would cook the crew and most of the electronics. You might be (relatively) okay if you happened to be on the other side of a large water tank when the thing went off, but otherwise you're probably hosed, even if the ship is salvageable.

It's worse than that. I don't think most "nerds" actually do the math. They just know that there will be no shockwave and falsely extrapolate that most of the damage is mitigated. They also appear to discount hard radiation, about as close to "pure" energy as you can get, as anything as dangerous as a simple high explosive reaction. Which is backwards. You get hit with enough hard radiation and matter simply ablates. I swear they think it's like microwaves or something. Just makes things get hot and doesn't do damage you can "see". Again they need to actually do the math and work out the fluence, area covered and work out just how much energy is bombarding the ship. The idea that they have to get inside the ship is absurd. They will have to get close because the falloff is severe. But anywhere within 500 meters? Ship is hosed. The closer the better but no need to penetrate the hull before detonation. No type of armor is going to take the levels of fluence without very quickly turning into mist. What would work is a layer of ablative material designed specifically to defend against nukes. Because the damage is being done by waves of high energy photons the ablative action will totally mitigate damage. As long as the material exists. Obviously, once it's gone it's gone and i'm assuming in a SPACE WAR!!!!!! missiles will be used in barrages. Personally I think the ship is still hosed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

These men are closer to a nuclear detonation than I would ever like to be, in atmosphere or not.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's worse than that. I don't think most "nerds" actually do the math. They just know that there will be no shockwave and falsely extrapolate that most of the damage is mitigated. They also appear to discount hard radiation, about as close to "pure" energy as you can get, as anything as dangerous as a simple high explosive reaction. Which is backwards. You get hit with enough hard radiation and matter simply ablates. I swear they think it's like microwaves or something. Just makes things get hot and doesn't do damage you can "see". Again they need to actually do the math and work out the fluence, area covered and work out just how much energy is bombarding the ship. The idea that they have to get inside the ship is absurd. They will have to get close because the falloff is severe. But anywhere within 500 meters? Ship is hosed. The closer the better but no need to penetrate the hull before detonation. No type of armor is going to take the levels of fluence without very quickly turning into mist. What would work is a layer of ablative material designed specifically to defend against nukes. Because the damage is being done by waves of high energy photons the ablative action will totally mitigate damage. As long as the material exists. Obviously, once it's gone it's gone and i'm assuming in a SPACE WAR!!!!!! missiles will be used in barrages. Personally I think the ship is still hosed.

For what it's worth, I also think the ship would be hosed. I just don't have a good sense of how hosed compared to the same radiation plus a shockwave. What it brought to mind for me was Project Orion, except instead of hitting a pusher plate, the blast is pushing out against the hull in every direction. I imagine the ship's still going to end up in several pieces. Maybe not quite as many pieces as it would have with pressurized compartments?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's worse than that. I don't think most "nerds" actually do the math. They just know that there will be no shockwave and falsely extrapolate that most of the damage is mitigated. They also appear to discount hard radiation, about as close to "pure" energy as you can get, as anything as dangerous as a simple high explosive reaction. Which is backwards. You get hit with enough hard radiation and matter simply ablates. I swear they think it's like microwaves or something. Just makes things get hot and doesn't do damage you can "see". Again they need to actually do the math and work out the fluence, area covered and work out just how much energy is bombarding the ship. The idea that they have to get inside the ship is absurd. They will have to get close because the falloff is severe. But anywhere within 500 meters?

I think you need to be a lot closer than that. I'm not going to actually do the math and work out the fluence, but in the testing during Project Orion they mounted graphite-covered steel spheres 30 *feet* from a nuclear explosion and they were intact, with only a thin layer of the graphite ablated. In my above post, I'm considering "near miss" to be virtually within direct contact. Agreed you definitely don't need to get the warhead inside the target ship.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
This show has morphed into one of my must-sees each week, and that's a short list because it's so easy to just stream things and binge poo poo whenever nowadays.

I adored Mass Effect's in-game universe for nerdy reasons like the adherence to physics and such, and this show scratches that itch quite well. Kudos on that clip from the 2nd game someone posted.

As someone who's never read the books and is going into this show mostly spoiler-free, right now I'm under the impression that the protomolecule isn't gone for good, and Venus probably isn't the last we've seen of all that. The strange creature that hosed everyone up at the end of the most recent episode definitely had a similar aesthetic to it's look.

Perhaps the show is going to incorporate that stuff into the storyline more than the books did and make the protomolecule more of a constant influence on the story. But I'm just guessing.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
What do most people think the title of the series refers to?

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

The vastness of space and expansion of humanity throughout it?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Space?

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Goatse.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

So it also works as a pun on Ex-pants? Cool.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

But where's the ring?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

ATP_Power posted:

But where's the ring?

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

AwkwardKnob posted:

This show has morphed into one of my must-sees each week, and that's a short list because it's so easy to just stream things and binge poo poo whenever nowadays.

I adored Mass Effect's in-game universe for nerdy reasons like the adherence to physics and such, and this show scratches that itch quite well. Kudos on that clip from the 2nd game someone posted.

As someone who's never read the books and is going into this show mostly spoiler-free, right now I'm under the impression that the protomolecule isn't gone for good, and Venus probably isn't the last we've seen of all that. The strange creature that hosed everyone up at the end of the most recent episode definitely had a similar aesthetic to it's look.

Perhaps the show is going to incorporate that stuff into the storyline more than the books did and make the protomolecule more of a constant influence on the story. But I'm just guessing.

Just wait, if you like Mass effect, you're going to love the upcoming plot lines! Sort of book spoilers, so you know, avoid it if you're avoiding those.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Phanatic posted:

I think you need to be a lot closer than that. I'm not going to actually do the math and work out the fluence, but in the testing during Project Orion they mounted graphite-covered steel spheres 30 *feet* from a nuclear explosion and they were intact, with only a thin layer of the graphite ablated. In my above post, I'm considering "near miss" to be virtually within direct contact. Agreed you definitely don't need to get the warhead inside the target ship.

Wouldn't it depends entirely on the yield of the nuke anyway? It's impossible to say for certain without hard numbers.

Anyway, so Jules Mao is missing and suddenly a protomolecule monster appears on Ganymede? Jules Mao is the protomonster, calling it now.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

ATP_Power posted:

But where's the ring?

Around Saturn. The protomolecule was found on Phoebe, a moon of Saturn.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

ATP_Power posted:

But where's the ring?

Uranus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rings_of_Uranus

Book spoilers: The Ring is literally at Uranus.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Yeah, I used to think that, too.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space. Listen...

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Okay, just saw the new episode. No more Miller is, as expected, quite a loss. However, the increase in Amos and Alex has been great.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The is realistic since future Baltimore also still sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ATP_Power posted:

But where's the ring?

Nice.

• Locked thread