Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Doctor Butts posted:

I'm nearly certain that the whole reason behind Miller straight up capping the dude is so the writers can keep tension between him and the Rocinante crew.

No problem here. I never read the books. Could care less about them.

In the books Miller straight-up caps the dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

tooterfish posted:

I still give the series a 9/10 for trying this poo poo when no one else would even bother. I fell in love with it when Miller poured his whiskey in the brothel in season 1, and the Coriolis effect caused it to spiral sideways into the glass. That's attention to detail.

That was a gross exaggeration of how much the Coriolis effect would come into play there. I mean, if there's that much of an effect over that short a distance the difference in acceleration between your head and your feet would make just living there enormously uncomfortable; "down" would be a different direction at each point along your body. In reality a station as big as Ceres rotating at the speed it would need to rotate for that level of force, Coriolis effects over the distance that small would be small enough to be swamped by things like air currents, you'd never notice it pouring whiskey into a glass.

But yeah, points for effort.

Subyng posted:

What I meant is stationary relative to the ring's axis of rotation. Point the nose toward the centre of the ring, and when the docking ports are aligned, thrust forward.

But then by the time you get to the docking port, the station's rotation has carried in spinward. You need to match the station's spin so that you're stationary relative to the point on the rim, and that takes constant maneuvering thrust; you literally have to match the rim's *acceleration*, not a position.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

tooterfish posted:

Ah, here's where the attention to detail really grabs you though.

The brothel is in one of the poor parts of town, close to the centre of the asteroid. It's a cheap place to live because the coriolis effects are so uncomfortable.

If you notice later on, Miller pours a glass of water in the governor's office and the water actually flows straight down. The governor and all the other rich well-wallers live close to the edge, where you can hardly notice coriolis effects at all.

I suspect it's still greatly exaggerated.

Ceres is 950 kilometers in diameter. a =v^2/r. If it's spun to provide 1g at the perimeter (Do they ever specifically mention what the g level is? 1 g is definitely uncomfortable for belters, so I think 1 g is a big overestimate but let's go with it as an upper limit), 9.8m/s^2 = v^2/425000, v=2kps. 2kps sounds fast but for an object the size of Ceres it's less than .05rpm.

You're never going to feel Coriolis at such a low rotation rate, the threshold for discomfort is around 4rpm. The gravity falls off as you get closer to the axis, but the rotation rate doesn't change.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 6, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Also chad coleman has a recurring role on Always Sunny playing a very very different character. I never put two and two together.

He was Cutty in the Wire and awesome as everyone in that show was.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

gfarrell80 posted:

Interesting, cool stuff.

In case you nerds want more semi-hard sci-fi to watch that reminds you of The Expanse a little bit, I suggest you check out Outland (1981). It has a lot of the same stuff going on, and is a pretty entertaining as hell movie :) Just a smaller labor relations/capitalism run amok/conspiracy story though, no major political factions struggling for power.

Yeah, but there are some ridiculous goofs in the film, like antigravity jail cells in which blood drips up towards the ceiling and people exploding upon exposure to vacuum.

It's basically a remake of High Noon in space, with Sean Connery playing Gary Cooper. Still entertaining, good performances.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Acute radiation syndrome just wrecks all your cells, though. Treating that is like treating someone who has been cooked all the way through.

No, that'll just flat out kill you, no ionization required.

Radiation is going to break a lot of DNA. It doesn't do this directly by smacking into DNA molecules and breaking them (well, it does, but that's a comparatively minor effect. What it mainly does is smack into water molecules in your cells, knocking electrons loose and creating hydroxyl free radicals, which create a chain reaction of of various reactive oxygen species that eventually chemically damage your DNA by breaking bonds and leading to various cross-linkages where there shouldn't be any. If enough damage accumulates, either the cell undergoes apoptosis and gracefully kills itself, or the cell can't divide successfully and will die the next time it undergoes mitosis. And cells already in mitosis are hypersusceptible to the effects of radiation in the first place (for reasons unknown, chromatin in cells undergoing mitosis is way more susceptible to breaking strands than in regular cells, and broken strands that wouldn't lead to cell death wind up killing mitotic cells instead of being repaired by ordinary cellular mechanisms).

That's why radiation sickness has the effects it does: the damage is going to show up first in cells that undergo rapid cycles of reproduction. The cells making up your intestinal lining, your hair follicles, the stem cells in your bone marrow that sit there doing nothing but dividing rapidly to generate blood cells, sperm, all that stuff takes the brunt of the damage. There are more cells undergoing mitosis at any time, so more of them are susceptible and die right away, and ones that survive but are too damaged to replicate themselves are going to die shortly. Cells that don't divide much at all aren't affected much. Not much happens with your muscle tissue, or your central nervous system (you'll get nervous system involvement at huge doses, but that's not so much a direct effect on the nerve cells themselves but rather the death of endothelial cells leading to vascular leakage, which leads to edema and increased intracranial pressure).

Miller and Holden start puking within a few minutes of exposure, which means they took a dose of around 8 grays. With today's medicine, that's going to kill virtually anyone within a month, at most. With intense medical care, well, it'll still probably kill you, but it might not. To get someone though that, in the very short term you need to prevent them from dying due to the hypotension and electrolyte imbalance from all the fluid loss and GI hemorrhaging that's going on. In the slightly longer term, you need prevent them from dying from the infections they're now hugely susceptible to due to their severe leukopenia. Once you have that under control, you can worry about getting their bone marrow working again, maybe with massive doses of hematpoietic stem cell growth factors or bone marrow transplants. And if they got into treatment quickly enough (which given the timeline I don't think they did), you might be able to mitigate the severity by getting enough antioxidants into the cells to scavenge the free radicals and prevent the DNA damage in the first place.

So we can take it as a given that med tech in the Expanse if capable of doing all that, and that's the first phase of treatment Miller and Holden got. If you can keep someone alive through all that, and get the bone marrow working, the person will live. And then all you have to deal with is all the other cells that were damaged insuffiicently to cause apoptosis, or to prevent replication, and are sitting there with latent DNA damage that will show up as cancers. The pills that they give them for that purpose are really way more of a sci-fi tech then getting someone through the acute phase. I mean, we really can't do either today (there was a guy at a medical irradiation facility in Russia who went through some seriously concerted efforts to disable all the safety systems and inadvertently dosed himself with 11Gy of gammas, and they were able to keep him alive for almost six months with intnsive treatment before he died of acute respiratory distress, that's about the best we can do with a dose like that), but I think the anti-cancer pills that prevent cancer no matter what the cell type is *or* the actual cellular defect that causes it are way more of a stretch.

NmareBfly posted:

That said the realest depiction of rad sickness in space is probably Seveneves. There's some really good stuff in there in terms of people dying slow, depressing deaths.

For the really real stuff, check the IAEA publications. Like if you want to read about my parenthetical above, here's the report.

http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/Publications/PDF/Pub1010_web.pdf

It is still amazing to me everything that guy had to do in order to very slowly and painfully kill himself.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 13, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

flosofl posted:

and Holden have no idea if any more are infected or if they are going to broadcast the situation of Eros to Solar System (how do you like it, Holden?)

This bit really rang false to me. The question is are they infected. The idea that they'd broadcast the situation and anyone else would get to the asteroid in time to do anything before the surface is slagged down by the explosives is nil. And melting the surface so that people can't dick around with it *after* the Nauvoo smacks into it is the whole point of that plan: that collision will be a giant red flag that there's something really interesting there so they need to prevent people from getting inside while it falls sunward. The possibility that the crew is infected is the *only* danger there, not the fact that they might broadcast "Yo, dudes, strange things are afoot on Eros so stop by for a visit."

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Platystemon posted:

They’re explicitly blaming Mars, though.

I don't think Holden slags that crew for saying mean things about Mars even if those things aren't true. Holden would broadcast a counterclaim saying it's not Mars's fault and that he's an Earther so you can trust him when he says that. The reason to kill them is that they violated the quarantine and might be infected with an alien bioweapon that could kill every single human if it gets out. But Holden tells them "If you broadcast, more people will come here, I can't allow that," but the bombs he's planting in order to make it useless for more people to go there are going to go off in a few hours, nobody's going to come visiting that soon.

It just rang false and unnecessary. Their status as a potential infection vector is (a) enough reason to kill them and (b) sufficiently in question to present the moral dilemma that's got Holden so upset.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Platystemon posted:

But it would still change Eros’ velocity by less than 1 km⁄s. Eros is heavy.

It's going to be a lot lighter after you mine it for resources and hollow it out and turn it into a space station. But on the other hand, if that 20kps is relative to Eros there's no way that impact doesn't shatter the hell out of Eros which is something they pointed out they didn't want to do. What you'd need to do to get in to fall into the sun is slow the Nauvoo down, just butt up against Eros, and then fire the engines again to get a sustained impulse rather than just one massive hammerblow. Oh well, still awesome.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 20, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

flosofl posted:

I don't think they were looking to push it on a straight line vector either, they're only looking to change it's vector to intercept the sun, not necessarily the speed.

You can't change one without changing the other. To get an object to fall into the sun you need to effectively cancel out almost all of its orbital velocity, which in the case of Eros means a delta-v of drat near 24 kps. It would literally take less change in velocity to get Eros to escape the solar system entirely.

everydayfalls posted:

That would be if you want the Eros to fall directly into the sun on its first pass.

That's what they want to do because they don't want anyone to have time to board it and cut their way in. And to get Eros close enough to the sun to pass through its atmosphere, okay, maybe you just need 20 kps of delta-v instead of 24, it doesn't help you much.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Dancer posted:

It feels like a rather safe bet that if you're close enough to Venus to use its atmosphere to break, you won't be able to get out of its gravity well (to me at least. I'll gladly admit to being an idiot)

Nothing is ever said in the show about using Venus or anything else to brake. Hitting something the thickness of Venus's atmosphere with Eros from across the solar system with a single impact being your only impulse to control its path with would be remarkably difficult. On the other hand, they did talk about Fred's geeks running all the math, which implies getting it right is a non-trivial task.

But again, you're talking about canceling out a significant chunk of 24kps of velocity, I don't think you can *do* that with a single pass through even the thickest parts of Venus's atmosphere. Especially not with a decidedly asymmetric hollowed-out rock. Even if you can hit the narrow slice of atmosphere, there's no way to guarantee that Eros just doesn't break into big chunks that impact Venus, and I'm pretty sure when the entire point of your exercise is to safely incinerate the protomolecule you don't want to risk the unknowns of what it might do if it impacted Venus .

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Not really. There are several things they could do to alter the orbit of Eros. They could hit it in a way that would be equivalent to a radial burn to move the orbit so it hits the sun.

That's the *same thing*. Eros has an orbital velocity of about 24 kps. The sun is small. To put Eros into an orbit that actually intersects the sun, you need to cancel out about 24 kps. That's what we're talking about. It doesn't matter what you do to alter its orbit, it doesn't matter what timescale you do it over, how *long* it takes you to alter its orbit: if you don't cancel out its orbital velocity almost entirely it won't hit the sun.

Anything less than that, any orbit which does not actually intersect the sun, will just be a highly eccentric orbit that doesn't culminate in Eros impacting the sun. If it's close enough to pass within the Roche limit, it will disintegrate and wind up as a short-lived ring. Anything further then that, it will just keep on orbiting in a highly eccentric orbit that will give other people plenty of time to land on the surface and cut their way in. As will any kind of gravitational slingshotty trick to get it to fall into the sun eventually, some day years or decades in the future.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

withak posted:

From now on everyone wanting to argue about orbital mechanics has to post a screenshot showing their KSP experience.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

Will someone do the math on how long it'd take Eros to hit the sun if you cancelled out its orbital velocity? I'm getting between 99 and 196 days, depending on where in its orbit Eros was at the time. Does that sound right? I don't feel like I have a good frame of reference for something falling straight into the sun.

That sounds about right. You need multiple integrations to do it exactly but if you just treat it as a very highly eccentric elliptical orbit with the sun at one focus, you can just use Kepler's laws and figure out what half the period would be based on the semimajor axis.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

My last physics class was a long time ago, but my approach was to take the masses of Eros and the sun to find the gravitational force between them (once for aphelion and again for perihelion), then assume the sun wouldn't move appreciably and use that force and Eros's mass to find its acceleration toward the sun, and then use that acceleration and an initial velocity of zero to find travel time from aphelion and perihelion.

How backwards was my approach?

That'll give you the instantaneous acceleration at the start but as the distance between them decreases the gravitational force will increase, which means so will the acceleration.

Really you can just use the sun's mass and ignore Eros, but you can't ignore the decreasing distance/increasing force. A precise solution needs a double integral but it's not a really complicated one, the initial equation of motion is

d^2r/dt^2=-GM/r^2

M = mass of the sun, G = the gravitational constant, r=distance from the sun, you're differentiating wrt time. So plug in those values, double-integrate, and see how long it takes r to go to 0.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

The amount of energy needed to do it through collision would probably vaporize Eros

Somebody with more nerd ability than me please express the amount of energy needed in megatons, TIA

How fast do you want it to reach the sun? Like, what's enough time for someone to get in board, cut their way in through the slagged docks, get infected and leave again?

Because yes. Just just having it infall to the sun will take weeks at least, if you want it there faster then the Nauvoo impact willl have to propel it, which is an even more ridiculous impact. If you're hitting it that hard and the protomolecule can survive then even the sun isn't a reliable disposal method.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

Minimum required to fall into the sun.

Still a staggeringly large amount of energy to transfer in a collision

Well the orbital velocity is 24kps. Gotta cancel almost all of that. So rough figure: how much kinetic energy does Eros have in the first place?

Roughly 6E8 megatons, or (Platystemon pointed this out I think), multiple times that of the Chicxulub impactor. No way Eros stays even remotely in one piece. If you want to accelerate Eros so that it gets to the sun fast enough to prevent anyone from landing and getting a sample, this number increases absurdly.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

If you can move Eros to a significantly different orbit than building a ship like the Nauvoo would not be anywhere near as big a deal as the show makes it seem. It'd be trivial by comparison.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Tycho made their name spinning up Ceres, and it took a generation.

Do they ever mention specifically Ceres's spin rate? I figured it at about .05 rpm.

Thing currently spins about once every 9 hours. So unless I screwed up the moment of inertia, it currently has about 1.6E15 GJ of rotational kinetic energy. That's six orders of magnitude less energy that you'd need to dump into it to spin it to .05 rpm (2E21 GJ) That's like an hour and a half of the total energy output of the sun.

That's actually waaaaaay more energy than you need to totally cancel out Eros's orbital kinetic energy (2.5E15 GJ). No wonder it took them so long.

Either I screwed up the moment of inertia, am greatly overestimating how fast they got Ceres spinning, or this stuff starts to fall apart if you look at it too closely.

Still a great show, though.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

IIRC one reason they've dropped the zombie theme was that TV was already saturated as gently caress with zombie shows.

That's one place where I think you can really see that this grew out of an RPG campaign. One session of zombies is fine, but you don't built an entire campaign around zombies. But with a TV show, if people see a heavy zombie focus in one episode that's where they think the whole show is going to go.

So yeah, fine with fewer zombies.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I thought orbits tended to decay naturally but I guess that doesn't make much sense. Alright.

Orbits don't just spontaneously decay, they decay because something interacts with the orbiting body. Stuff that's in low earth orbit will stay up there for only a few years or decades because there's still atmosphere up there; the satellites are constantly colliding with air molecules and slowing down infinitesimally with each collision. The ISS has to be reboosted to a higher orbit periodically because its enormous solar panels result in a *lot* of atmospheric drag. If you take a look here you can see that it loses about a kilometer of altitude per month.

But in most of space there's not a lot of stuff to run into. A satellite in LEO will last a few years or decades, but the life goes up as you get higher. At 800km, you're up to 100 years, because there's less air to run into. Way up in geosynch orbits, there's nothing to run into but occasional cosmic debris, orbits there effectively don't decay.

You can also get decay through tidal interactions, but the timescales for that are enormous and will only result in a lowered orbit if the orbiting body is already closer to the parent than a synchronous orbit. If it's further away (like the Earth's moon is), then these tidal effects raise the orbit of the moon and slow the rotation of the planet.

Basically if you set the solar system as it is on fast-forward, random gravitational perturbations would eject Eros from the solar system altogether or crash it into a planet long before its orbit significantly decayed.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 21, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

OB_Juan posted:

I'd guess Traveller or d20 modern. Maybe a no-magic Shadowrun?

I'd guess Eclipse Phase. Lends itself really easily to the subject matter and it's even the right timeframe.

quote:

Earth is subsequently abandoned, and existing colonies throughout the Solar System are expanded to accommodate the refugees. The setting explores a spectrum of socioeconomic systems in each of these colonies:

A capitalist/republican system continues in the Inner System (Mars, the Moon, and Mercury), under the Planetary Consortium, a corporate body which allows the election of representatives but whose shareholders are nominally most powerful.
An Extropian/Propertarian system is established in the Asteroid Belt. The Extropians are split into two subfactions, an anarcho-capitalist group, more closely related to the Hypercapitalists and a mutualist group, related closely to the Anarchists.
A military oligarchy rules the moons around Jupiter.
An alliance of Scandinavia-style social democracy and Collectivist anarchism are dominant in the Outer System.

From there, the setting explores various scientific advances, extrapolated far into the future. Nanotechnology, terraforming, Zero-G living, upgrading animal sapience, and reputation systems are all used as plot points and background.

With all of this, the game encourages players to confront existential threats like aliens, weapons of mass destruction, Exsurgent Virus outbreaks, and political unrest.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is it ever mentioned how ships in The Expanse handle radiation shielding, both from space itself and from their drives? Assuming that shielding is in the hull, would that be enough to protect the crew from a nuke's radiation?

They never go into real detail on the nature of the fusion reaction. Anything with deuterium will generate a shitload of neutrons, and for shielding against those you want something with a lot of hydrogen in it. If a neutron smacks into a heavy nucleus it'll bounce off elastically and retain most of its energy, just moving in a different direction. If it collides with something of similar mass, like a proton, it'll surrender a good portion of its energy to the proton and slow down, the proton can go smack into other protons and do the same thing, so everything rapidly comes down to nice slow speeds. Polyethylene, hydrocarbons, things like that are great. So's water, which they're already carrying along for drinking and for reaction mass. There's enough handwavium in the internal design of the ships that you can just figure the water tanks are a layer around the inside of the hull or something. And for big solar flares or the like, they have enough freedom of movement that they could just avoid them because they're not bound to long slow transfer orbits between destinations.

Phobophilia posted:

That's a good question, a near miss by a nuke in space won't cause massive overpressure wave to ram into your hull, so that remains intact. What happens to exposed components, like sensors, or weapon ports?

Near miss you have a tremendous amount of radiant energy pouring out of the explosion, mainly gammas (nuclear transitions), x-rays (bits of bomb that got turned into plasma and are radiating in that spectrum now), and neutrons (directly from the fission and fusion reactions). This is going to be enough to explosively ablate the bits of ship adjacent to the ship, and that explosive ablation will be a remarkably good facsimile of a massive overpressure wave ramming into your hull. I mean, that's what the blast is if you set the thing off in an atmosphere: the radiant energy heats the adjacent air enormously, causing it to explode outwards. Substitute "nearby bits of ship" for "atmosphere," it's going to get really hot from the energy it absorbs and then explode. Granted since that all falls off as r^2, it's got to be a *near* miss, but if it's close enough it'll still be plenty destructive.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's worse than that. I don't think most "nerds" actually do the math. They just know that there will be no shockwave and falsely extrapolate that most of the damage is mitigated. They also appear to discount hard radiation, about as close to "pure" energy as you can get, as anything as dangerous as a simple high explosive reaction. Which is backwards. You get hit with enough hard radiation and matter simply ablates. I swear they think it's like microwaves or something. Just makes things get hot and doesn't do damage you can "see". Again they need to actually do the math and work out the fluence, area covered and work out just how much energy is bombarding the ship. The idea that they have to get inside the ship is absurd. They will have to get close because the falloff is severe. But anywhere within 500 meters?

I think you need to be a lot closer than that. I'm not going to actually do the math and work out the fluence, but in the testing during Project Orion they mounted graphite-covered steel spheres 30 *feet* from a nuclear explosion and they were intact, with only a thin layer of the graphite ablated. In my above post, I'm considering "near miss" to be virtually within direct contact. Agreed you definitely don't need to get the warhead inside the target ship.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

She can't handle Scottish and you expect her to understand Belter?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Eiba posted:

Really? Because there was an alternative people were calling for- dividing the nukes among the factions and letting each one choose.

If Dawes just wanted the most personal power he'd champion that option to get grateful faction leaders behind him.

Absolutely not. Every other person who has a nuke instantly becomes a rival. Johnson said it: "They're good for a lot of things. Deterrence. A bargaining chip." Left unstated: blowing something up and making everyone think someone else did it.

So long as it's just Mars and Earth with nukes, it's MAD, it's stable. MAD becomes exponentially less stable for each additional player at the table. Giving them back to Earth maintains the status quo in that regard, he loses nothing. Splitting them up among different factions of the OPA (who no doubt have their own internecine rivalries and grudges, if they didn't they wouldn't be different factions) is the worst thing he could do if he was just interested in power.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I think he's sincere about putting most of his questionably-acquired-wealth back into Ceres and the belt. That's how the more organized crime stays in power.

Nah, that's only half of it. The more organized crime spreads a tiny fraction of its wealth as the carrot. It also uses the stick of taking anyone who challenges it, kidnapping them and their families, and chopping the families up with chainsaws in front of them.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 10, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, I don't like her either. She's way too stereotypical. Reminds me of two former Marines I work with: she's a one-dimensional character with too much testosterone.

So...she's so realistic she's stereotypical? Or so stereotypical she's realistic?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Huh? What's the difference? :confused:

You said she's too stereotypical, and that she reminds you of actual real-life Marines you know in real life. That would indicate to me that she's accurately portraying what real-life Marines are actually like in real life and hence, not a stereotype.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Orange Red Bull posted:

I like the explosive decompression and vacuum exposure from Event Horizon better but I suppose we dont really have any frame of reference and just medical theory.

Unless that has actually happened to someone and the governments of the world covered it up. Nobody has ever died in space right?

Yes, they have. Three cosmonauts died during reentry when Soyuz 11 depressurized while they were getting ready to reenter; with three people on board, there wasn't room for them to wear pressure suits. Also, a NASA tester was exposed to full vacuum when during an accident in a decompression chamber, but he survived.

You don't explode. Your blood doesn't boil (but some dissolved gases will leave solution, which means you can get the bends, but since you were only at 1 atmosphere of pressure in the first place, at most, it'll be minor compared to the cases that pressurized divers get). Oxygen will diffuse out of your lungs into the vacuum and then when that deoxygenated blood hits your brain it's lights out, so you've got about 15 seconds at most of useful consciousness. Your lungs collapse since there's nothing to inflate them and the moisture wetting your alveoli boils off (ditto the rest of your mucous membranes). Then a minute or so later you go into circulatory failure. Then your brain dies from lack of O2.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

You missed it. The maneuvering thrusters push the ship up and the Inner unfortunates out, then the main engine lights.

It's even in the gif posted earlier:

https://fat.gfycat.com/ObedientJampackedFlickertailsquirrel.mp4

Other good bits were Amos walking around the outside rim of Tycho, with his arms being flung up. This show doesn't always get it right but at least it makes the attempt.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Platystemon posted:

My understanding from the books was that basic would be an improvement for more than 80% of the world’s current population.

Yes.

Globally, the median annual household income is a hair under $3000. A homeless person living under a bridge in America probably makes more than that.

Imagine how utterly impoverished most of the world has to be for that to be the *median*. There are something like 3/4ths of a billion people living on less than $1.90 per day.

Now realize how much worse it was even 30 years ago:

http://ourworldindata.org/grapher/share-of-the-population-living-in-extreme-poverty

Baronjutter posted:

Showing everyone on basic living standards akin to a student dorm lifestyle but with absolutely no hope of anything more is a much more interesting dystopia.

But again, it's not a student dorm lifestyle. A student dorm lifestyle runs to the tens of thousands of dollars per year. It's much worse than that. Take a student dorm, take away anyone's individualized choices of luxury, anything that's not strictly functional, and give it a really, really lovely cafeteria.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

The whole thing bothered me. Are thrusters enough to break orbit of whatever moon he was around?

The outer moons of Jupiter are just captured asteroids. Cyllene is a whole 2 kilometers in radius, it's smaller than established space stations in the Expanse. The escape velocity from its surface is a whole one meter per second.

So, yes. Yes they are. If you were standing on the surface, your legs would be enough to break free of it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Subyng posted:

Yes but that doesn't mean you can instantly spot every object in the sky. One thing that really bugs me about Atomic Rocket's analysis of space stealth is that he only considers either perfect stealth or no stealth at all, with no grey area in between.

What? No, it doesn't consider only that.

The difficulty of stealth in space is predicated on the fact that when things warm up, they radiate, and being able to scan the whole sky for that radiation is a fairly modest task, well within the capability of any entity that can actually engage in advanced interplanetary travel. It doesn't mean you can instantly spot every object in the sky, no, but it does mean you can scan the entire sky at a sufficiently-rapid rate to detect this radiation with sufficient rapidity to render most means of avoid detection pretty much impossible. Even inert objects like dead rocks radiate in the IR well brighter than the background. Fire a high-thrust engine, you'll be seen. Cold-gas thrusters, okay, perhaps not, but the maneuvering capability with those is insignificant. Things like ion engines require a power source, which will also generate heat. If you're carrying people on board, those people need a warm environment to survive in. Imperfect stealth would be things like sequestering your heat in some insulated region of the ship, which will only work for a while because everything tends towards equilibrium. Or into a mass of coolant that you can dump overboard when able. Or trying to hide yourself against a brighter background, like the sun, which can only work in certain limited situations. These are all mentioned there, so yeah, it definitely covers the grey area in between.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

They had the thing anaesthetized with gas, the blast broke the cage and let the gas out, protomonster woke up and busted out and killed everyone.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Talorat posted:

How do you make it sticky only after you throw it?

Electrostatics?

Or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sticky_bomb

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

NZAmoeba posted:

I'm gonna be a dick and dig up this argument again.

It's dumb to assume "If a society can do X, surely they'll have unrelated Y technology as well" Fifty years ago they assumed we'd all have flying cars, no one thought we'd be carrying personal electronic devices connected to each other and the entire collection of human knowledge, and use it mainly to share pictures of cats with one another. Guessing what advanced technology is easy and hard is a losing bet.

It's not advanced technology. It is literally done today. WISE has detected objects as cold as 225 Kelvin at a distance of over 7 light years.

Agahnim posted:

Pointing a scope at something and seeing what's what is something we can do today, having full coverage of the entire solar system at all times is something else entirely.

But it's not "advanced technology." It's something we could entirely do today if we chose to. And at the point at which you've got people living in habitats all across the solar system and dozens and hundreds of ships flying around constantly on a daily basis it's something you would choose to do because if you didn't it would be like shutting off the ATC networks at all the airports and just hoping things work themselves out without a whole bunch of people dying. To say nothing of the *military* advantages. Discerning an object radiating to any significant degree in the infrared is entirely current tech. Sweeping an IR-sensitive CCD around the sky on a regular basis, having enough CPU cycles to throw at the image processing, and so forth, that's all present-day tech. It's just not a hard problem.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 12, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Imagine Timothy Olyphant playing Holden instead :stare:

Olyphant is really good at "compressed ball of pure rage." That might make Holden interesting, but that's a different character altogether.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Sort of, but he at least has lots of interior dialogue and thought processes.

Rereading Caliban's War, and it's pretty obvious in hindsight that in both the book and show the protomonster in the Rocinante deliberately didn't kill Holden or Amos when it obviously could have based on the way it chewed up the Ganymede marines. It wasn't quite minimum force, but it approached minimum to disable.

The problem I had with the show was that it's inexplicable that it didn't kill Holden. You could say "it just uses the minimum force to disable," but it sure didn't use minimum force with the scientists it shredded back in the lab. And, okay, there you could say "But the scientists had guards that were shooting at it," but Holden had just magdumped into it. I can accept implacably hostile murdermachine, I can accept "passive unless you gently caress with it," but it shouldn't switch back and forth between modes just to make the screenwriter's job easier.

Also, it taking so incredibly long to tear through the deck was more tedious than suspenseful. Budget limitations, I imagine.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Think of it like Philadelphia. It's old and has history, is the 5th biggest city in America, but can you think of any particular industry that would be devastated if it disappeared off the map tomorrow?

Tastykake!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

It has a rating of 8.3 on IMDB, is that not good?

That's not what he meant by ratings. He meant ratings in the sense of "how many people watch a show," not "how good the people who watch a show think it is."

• Locked thread