Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

KatWithHands posted:

I hope the recat becomes tradition.

I also hope that the season two disc set has more special features when it gets released. For all the stuff they released online for season one, the only special feature on the disc is deleted scenes from the first episode :sigh:

Redeem the UV code. If you do, Vudu has all the 5 minute individual episode specials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

How are people watching the first two episodes already? Syfy hasn't released them early and the premiere isn't until 10pm tonight.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Would have been nice if they did a little wider release to other theaters.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not talking about it being a money maker. I'm talking about access. Alamo Drafthouse isn't exactly a widespread chain with only 25 locations. If they did the first two episodes as a Fathom Event, more people would have had the opportunity to see them

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I like how the stealth ship didn't explode. It makes sense, they just riddled it with holes to the point where enough critical systems/people were taken out. They didn't use anything explosive on it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

mastershakeman posted:

Can someone remind me how the proto molecule got on board to where Amos is messing with it at the start ?

It's the safe they cut out of the Anubis last season.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Did everyone miss the Pur/Kleen badges on all the stuff from the Cant?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't really know anything about the books other than they exist.

The reason for the non-lethal seemed obvious after the 'scientists' went psycho after they were disconnected.

My take is that they were slightly mutated by the proto-molecule into some sort of living data processors. I mean, the guy went on and on about how you could get it to do anything. They were probably hard coded to only respond to him. That's why he was the only one that had the encryption key, it was literally him. Any other personnel would need protection against them if they got loose, but you wouldn't want to straight up kill them either. That's how I read the scene anyways. We'll see if that is true.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There was also the bit in the last episode of season one where Naomi sprinkled some dust from her fingers and the spiral told her they were close to the docking bay.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's good to see that this thread has already identified the object to send to Syfy if they cancel.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

A little bit of Season 1 chat as it relates to Amazon.

Amazon's search REALLY REALLY sucks and I uncovered through Instantwatcher that Season 1 is avaliable in UHD.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0SMDTT/ref=atv_feed_catalog&tag=iw_prime_tv-20&ref_=asc_homepage

And yes, it's real 4k as far as I can tell. It actually looks substantially better than the blu-rays. I'm actually really pissed that there's not a UHD blu-ray release or I can't buy the new season 2 episodes as they air in UHD.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Watching "The Expanse" on a 65" OLED is amazing. I'm glad they don't screw up the black level when mastering the show. Having space be completely and totally black with the bright flares of the dives looks incredible.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Did you not know of the official recap?

https://youtu.be/Ivej0OW7WZk

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ZorajitZorajit posted:

it makes the characters seem unintelligent. That belter-speak is questionably racially charged, relying on some of the queues of stereotypical African American Vernacular English.

Perhaps your roommate should point that critical eye inward and discover what this assessment means about his/her own biases.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I would think the base question to ask him is how do you qualitatively judge an accent/dialect?

In your original post, you said that it was put to you that they sound uneducated while immediately equating it to certain types of slang. How is the person making that determination though? Does a person need a Midwestern newsroom accent to sound educated? Does Alex's twang affect how we perceive him or is it acceptable because it's more of a Texas drawl than deep South?

It's one thing if you think the dialect sounds silly. That's a personal taste thing and you really can't fault someone for it. It's another thing to claim racial connotations. That's projecting personal biases.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Doctor Butts posted:

I wanted to pull out clips of Chrisjen talking but apparently all of The Expanse episodes are copy protected on Tivo so I gave up.

Must just be your cable company screwing up. Copy flags are not set from Syfy as my recordings are unprotected on FiOS with TiVO.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Grand Fromage posted:

Keeping it secret does give them more ways to build tension I suppose.

It makes sense from a story telling perspective honestly. If the PM was completely out in the open any character could justify just about any action by saying they were doing something about the PM. Not only that, it becomes harder to believe the power struggle to get access to the PM if everyone were able to see how alien it actually was and the horror it could cause. As it stands, most people just have whispers of a substantial game changing weapon. Seeing the horror of Eros or the disassembly of the Arboghast should create a lot of pressure against the PM to the point where our main characters would have near zero resistance to anything they might want to do. "We survived Eros, one of our own prevented it from killing Earth, we need to do x to prevent further incidents" is a pretty big card to pull against someone if they understood what was going on.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I do find it kind of funny that the PM can fling Eros around on a whim, but Saturn's gravity kept it form finishing it's job. I mean, I guess it was dormant for the trip, but it's the equivalent of tripping on your shoelaces a foot from the finish line in a marathon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I know, it's just funny. The chances of this thing getting caught in orbit around something or smashing into something else with nothing usable to work with is much higher than it hitting something that it can start reworking. So, you would think that even the tiny bit they launched would have some agency to go somewhere useful.

It's not a major flaw in the story, I'm just imagining some aliens sitting around face-palming over the Saturn capture.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It will likely be on Prime around December.

You can buy the episodes digital now or the Blu-ray in July. Those are the options.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The tone of universe was all wrong and it was scarcely believable it was in the same continuity as the two other Stargate shows.

I'm still recovering from the pilot's tonal whiplash where they had existing characters hand off to the SUPER SERIOUS new crew. It was like watching two different franchises mashed together.

Other than that, its worse offense was that it was boring.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No, at least not yet.

UHD was never available for purchase, only on Prime. When Season 2 hits prime (likely soon), I would expect it to show up in UHD.

InstantWatcher is the best way to find content in prime. Search and then add it to your watch list.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Actually, that's not accurate. Season 1 started December 14th. Season 2 started Feb 1st. So, going by the gap between the last two seasons, it could be March or April.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If I were to guess, t would say a 1 or 2 week overlap with the end of The Magicians run. So that would put us near the end of March.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Grand Fromage posted:

Didn't season one have some weird poo poo where the first couple episodes came out like a month or two early and then they aired the rest?

Yes. They released 'Dulcinea' on November 27th before showing it on the 14th. They then followed up with ' The Big Empty' on the 15th (which was the regular timeslot.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yeah, didn't they drop the first 4 eps around late-summer or fall, a couple of months before the actual run started in December? Wiki doesn't say but I am sure I remember that...

edit: derp...it says at the top of the page that they released the first episodes ondemand a month early for Thanksgiving. :eng99:

Just episode 1 was released on the 27th. They released episodes 2-4 on December 16th following the two night premier on the network.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Season 2 hits Prime on Feb 7th.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm going to guess late March or early April.

The Magicians and Channel Zero end on March 14th. So that's a two hour free block on Weds afterwards.

So, smart money is the 21st or 28th of March with it potentially pushed back if they want to run something else short term in that block for a few weeks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Open Source Idiom posted:

I imagine that they'll be pairing it with Krypton for those three months, with 12 Monkeys fitting in there somewhere as well.

Well, we know Krypton is premiering March 21st.

My guess is a 2 hour premier of Krypton on the 21st with The Expanse coming in on the 28th to pair with it.

12 Monkeys will probably be a one shot again sometime in May.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My guess is that they will when it hits prime.

My question is where are my UHD blu-rays with HDR and Atmos sound!

Can you imagine anything with the PM and HDR? It would be incredible.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you paid money for it, it's going to be uncensored.

That said, I honestly would expect Season 3 to be uncensored this year when it airs as well. Syfy don't give a gently caress anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Filming both back to back was likely important from a contract perspective since it is a fairly large cast and there's such a large lag from end of filming to released episode.

However, this might mean that we won't have an over year wait for season 4, it might premier in Jan or Feb rather than be pushed back to June like the current schedule would push it.

• Locked thread