Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I can deal with Bobbie being a 4 foot tall badass who's an angel of death in power armor and a ruthless tactical wizard but I just can't deal with her being strong enough to hand wrestle a power armor suit or whatever. She isn't even muscular.

I'm sorry I know this is nitpicky and maybe even a touch misogynistic but... #NotMyBobbie.

Edit: to clarify, I don't actually give a drat and it's an ok casting I just think that particular bit was too goddamn silly.

Editx2: and of course she's 6 foot tall and I'm a moron who should not make judgement calls based on watching 20 minutes of an episode right before I go to bed.

Though I still think no one should be able to hand wrestle a power armor suit!

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Feb 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

fyodor posted:

Hi TVIV this made me laugh and I hope the low budget fun continues:

Yeah that was absurd, it almost felt like an intentional joke with how awful it was.

And you even see the starfield moving sideways opposite of the direction the station's spin, what could possibly make someone fall downwards in that situation.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I meant downward relative to the perspective of the camera, that is on the negative Y axis from our perspective not on the Z the axis.

The truth is that in this sort of situation he shouldn't be flung anywhere at all, he should 'slide' out of the picture along an arc parallel to that of the starfield, there is actually no force pushing him outside of the airlock short of the escaping air which a. shouldn't be too powerful anyway and b. should just push him gently 'outwards' (Z axis relative to the camera).

The station's spin doesn't generate some gravitational field, the centripetal force just pushes people towards the axis of rotation, it's just the normal force of the hull really. It will have no effect upon anyone outside the station.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Perhaps my highschool level mechanics are rusty but:

Blue arrow is the tangent to the station's spin at the point he leaves the station, this would be his actual velocity vector as he is no longer subject to the centripetal spin, red arrow is the perceived direction he should move to from the camera's perspective as the station is still spinning.

Him actually falling backwards (which he clearly does, look at his head in the gif) is really a physics goof.

Maybe I'm wrong, not looking to start any fights, but it really looked wrong to me.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
What's pushing him anyway? shouldn't he just remain in the airlock and suffocate?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Now I don't know if this was discussed but don't you really need to only put Eros into a decaying orbit rather than dropping its angular velocity to 0? Isn't that a much smaller delta V investment?

Obviously from a narrative perspective that would have given Earth and the MCRN plenty of time to land on the asteroid and get protomoleculed so it wouldn't have worked regardless but... isn't it correct?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I thought orbits tended to decay naturally but I guess that doesn't make much sense. Alright.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
de-acceleration is just acceleration on the opposite vector so even if you could somehow use the gravity well to slow down it wouldn't help you at all as the whole thing about acceleration is that you don't want to do it too rapidly; basically when you need to arrive at your destination at a manageable velocity you're gonna have to do a flip-and-burn maneuver unless you got protomolecule magic.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm really surprised people are taking this 'read' of Bobby's motivations in the debriefing, she isn't trying to lay the blame on earth due to her anti-earther prejudice, it's clearly shown to be a fog of war situation where she didn't actually realize what happened in real time, it's a simple misunderstanding, not malice.

And really all this about her being a stereotypical 'tough girl but with a soft core' character, I really don't see it that way, she's a professional soldier and a badass but she just got her rear end handed to her and saw her friends torn to shreds, she's suffering from PTSD, I don't think this has much to do with some stereotypic portrayal of women, if anything this sort of struggle with PTSD is something that is generally attributed to male characters in movies, if I'm not mistaken it's the entire plot of Rambo (the first movie).

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Book Holden is basically Superman, he fights for good, justice and the American way. Show Holden is Man of Steel era Superman, the same but with a dose of teen angst and a raspy voice.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The prose in the expanse cannot be described as great, it's functional, somewhat dry and very very nerdy in its tone. Even when it describes epic moments or visages it's never really evocative, however, I don't think this applies to the plot itself and the character's motivations, for what it's worth I think everyone tends to stick to their character traits and behave the way you'd expect them to.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's literally called Belter Creole because it's a form of Creole - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creole_language

Creoles have a tendency to sound 'jokey' to people who speak the languages they developed from. I mean, Jamaican Patois is a thing, it doesn't mock anyone, it's just how the language developed.

The belters speaking in a Creole makes perfect sense, I don't think it's offensive to anyone and it's certainly not an indicator of them being stupid, we're supposed to figure out that the Creole developed for the same reason Creoles develop everywhere: Colonialism, people from different origins forced to live together and develop a common language, etc etc.

Idk.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Loved Mei's backpack. That poo poo is awesome.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I realized that from a nerd nitpicking perspective the thing that bothers me is the fact that all of the ship environs are lit up like a nightclub rather than like a functional office or home environment.

Yes we get it, this is outer space so everything is lit up like a pink floyd show. Fine.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Demiurge4 posted:

The show really likes to ignore physics for theatrical effect in this season, I really liked season 1 based on the fact it tried to be realistic. The spacing is a good example, she floats there for several seconds as she loses her breath rather than being explosively decompressed and blown into space like a rocket.

We sperged about the earlier spacing scene and I'm not sure whether an airlock has enough atmosphere to actually hurl people out of them due to decompression.

The room really only has a few kilograms of air, it's not like an air tunnel or a sky scraper.

Don't really know though, perhaps some physics goons can run the numbers.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Another thing about airlock is that they usually cycle the atmosphere and decompress gently and only open up once the airlock itself is a vacuum. So again who knows.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Baronjutter posted:

It's nice that there's no clear "good guy" country. All 3 (2.5?) powers are evil idiots justified in their actions.

The expanse takes a pretty hippy-humanistic view of things I think, countries can't be good or evil, people can be good and benevolent but largescale organizations usually tend to express the whims of their most opportunistic and greedy members.

There are many good and idealistic characters and even when the hold positions of significant power it's always an uphill struggle. Holden is pretty much the most idealistic character around as he is 'deaf to politics' and always acts out on his ideals but he definitely not the only good guy around. Avasarala is a great example of a benevolent person who is jaded and cynical but is still largely motivated by a universalist sense of morals. etc.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
To me it feels like the setting is a rather overt metaphor is for the actual colonialist era with Earth being old europe, Mars being the united states and the belters being the indigenous population in all the exploited colonies.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The depiction of basic was way too depressing, for a system to work like that without dealing with constant civil unrest and domestic terrorism I'd expect some pretty orwellian systems of population control have to be put in place.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's just that providing housing for everyone should be pretty trivial for the sort of organization that is capable of hollowing out asteroids and putting them under spin gravity, you could easily feed and house everyone on earth with the kind of engineering feats that were seen in both show and books, if Ganymede can produce enough food to feed its own population and tens of millions more in the belt you'd expect that on earth with the far more ideal conditions the government could easily produce enough food to feed everyone on earth and luna comfortably.

I guess that sequence just offended my nerd sensibilities, what can I say.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The shot with the moons being super close to one another was also funny, really felt like the director got tired of the science nerds in this one and just went with pretty pictures and some action movie logic.

I mean, as a nerd it's hard for me to look past that poo poo, but I guess it was generally an ok episode and even that sequence was generally pretty due to allof those Alex moments.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah there are definitely fungal curds and presumably cheese-like substances, I guess they just aren't that similar to the real deal which is considered a luxury.

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/111731/food-availability-in-the-expanse-novel-series

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think that Eros developed some of its magical powers through the processes the protomolecule created by fusing all of the biomass together, I am not sure it's right to assume Phoebe had the ability to break physics in quite the same way.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I know, it's just funny. The chances of this thing getting caught in orbit around something or smashing into something else with nothing usable to work with is much higher than it hitting something that it can start reworking. So, you would think that even the tiny bit they launched would have some agency to go somewhere useful.

It's not a major flaw in the story, I'm just imagining some aliens sitting around face-palming over the Saturn capture.

It's not really a flaw in the story, assuming you have the ability to fling a big space rock on a very accurate trajectory what would largely determine your ability to hit a target is the resolution of your scanning tools, given that space is very big and empty as long as you can map all the large planetary bodies you could drop an asteroid from thousands of light years away with a high degree of accuracy.

Phoebe getting hit by a smaller unmapped body and being shifted towards saturn makes sense to me.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

acumen posted:

You may be thinking Mass Effect :v: It doesn't really say what the intention was either way.

It is heavily implied but I think these spoilers are really a bit too much for this thread, even tagged.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Hmm you should probably spoiler tag pretty much all of that.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Azhais posted:

I wish people would stop bringing up the drat slugs in that book. They were involved for a chapter and a half in a sort of "meanwhile, back at band camp" sort of manner. I went into that book thinking "Aw jeez, this is going to be like book 7 of Harry Potter all over again, 78% being some boring rear end camping trip where nothing happens", but it wasn't. The slugs were a non-issue. Still wasn't a great book, and most of its problems involve a bunch of aggressively boring new characters and a military guy that spent 90% of the book screaming "I'm gonna blow up that town if you don't do what I say! I mean it! Just you wait!"

Many problems, slugs just not really the all encompassing page-fillers that people seem to enjoy making them out to be.

Is it really that difficult to grasp that this is a thread for the the TV show that is currently just going through material from book 2 and that you shouldn't openly discuss poo poo from book 4 here?

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

counterfeitsaint posted:

How many books are there, and is the series finished?

I assume this chat will devolve into equal parts book chat, and whiny loving book readers making passive aggressive posts about how people don't like bookchat, so I'll be needing something else to read until next season.

Hey my posts weren't passive at all :\

• Locked thread