Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I really wish we had gotten the "without my suit I'm a good soldier, with my suit I'm a goddamn superhero" line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It is heavily implied but I think these spoilers are really a bit too much for this thread, even tagged.

I agree. having read all the books

Also, I did have a question, do they ever explain how or why the PM could be used to create those 'super soldiers'?

Like, if its some nano thing, does that imply they were able to 're-program' the PM? And if so does that mean they could re-program the stuff on Venus or shut it down?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/expansesyfy/status/855790816362504192

Don't read the replies if you don't want spoilers.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I agree. having read all the books

Also, I did have a question, do they ever explain how or why the PM could be used to create those 'super soldiers'?

Like, if its some nano thing, does that imply they were able to 're-program' the PM? And if so does that mean they could re-program the stuff on Venus or shut it down?

The first season/book had some talk about reprogramming it. iirc the whole point of releasing it on Eros was to gather data so they could figure out how it works and make it do what they want. I don't think they ever connected it to the stuff happening on Venus though.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
The book reprogramming was about taking a small sample and introducing it in an isolated growth environment (a human) and controlling its growth there through gene and nanoengineering applied as it grew. Totally inapplicable to changing an existing protomolecule mass elsewhere.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

This was a good episode and that last shot of Jupiter was extremely legit. Naomi is a phenomenal actress and downright gorgeous human. The cgi for the protodemon was pretty good actually.

I thought the botanist's daughter was saved pretty early in the books? I can't remember.

Btw I love the gif dumps. You capture really good parts of the show and they are really high quality.

Is there a gif of Amos slapping Holden's knee? Because that was pretty drat funny. Amos has such a well crafted personality and I honestly look forward to his screen time more than anyone.

Regarding the books, I just got to cibola burn and tbh I hope the show ends before the gate or something. The whole gate slowzone and station thing I just can't imagine translating into good tv at all. Hell, it barely worked as a book.

Good lord sorry.

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 22, 2017

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Hmm you should probably spoiler tag pretty much all of that.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Spoil that poo poo. Also, if the show ended there, we wouldn't really have a show at all after season 3...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh ffs. You added spoiler bars but neglected to actually cover half the spoilers.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Blind Rasputin posted:

This was a good episode and that last shot of Jupiter was extremely legit. Naomi is a phenomenal actress and downright gorgeous human. The cgi for the protodemon was pretty good actually.

I thought the botanist's daughter was saved pretty early in the books? I can't remember.

You need to add a spoiler to the bit I spoilered above.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
There still is a big spoiler in your post guy so thanks for that.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

You need to add a spoiler to the bit I spoilered above.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Ban all bookchat

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Finally watched it.

For what this show can do budget-wise I thought the protomonster was ok.

The Arboghast exploding diagram actually looked pretty good. I did think the establishing shot before the Venus crater EM spike was a second or two too long, ideally they would have made the switch from protomonster being destroyed at Ganymede to protocrater doing something nuts at Venus (37-49 light minutes away) just a shade tighter.

Bobbie's reaction to the electrician's request was the best part of the episode.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That didn't feel like a finale, but it was hard for anything to beat Drapers scarfing of sandwiches.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Hello yes I heard there was good Bobbiesarala gifs to he had ITT.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Next re-cat recap is going to be good.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Hello yes I heard there was good Bobbiesarala gifs to he had ITT.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Sammus posted:

This 100%. I was happy to see that they made it happen like they did, but it didn't work as well visually as it did in the book.

I really like Bobbie, but yeah, they're doing her role a tragic disservice. The final fight scene with her was a huge disappointment. It even looked goofy as gently caress when she threw the last guy to the ground, like they didn't get the effect quite right.

Yeah, reminds me of how Game of Thrones treated Ser Barristan. The entire foundation of this character is they are beyond belief incredible combat badasses. So why do they say that instead of showing it? Why are they here if not for those scenes? Why go to TV at all when your imagination shows it better in the books? Argh. Scenes of them advising politicians are not what I was most excited to see.

I know, I know. Budget. I still love this show and look forward to more Bobbie.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 23, 2017

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Why go to TV at all when your imagination shows it better in the books? Argh.
:goonsay:

New thread The TV IV subtitle, please.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bobbie should have gone through the bulkhead like the Kool‐Aid Man.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, Bobbie is cool now. It's funny because her character did the exact 180 degree turn that Miller's did over the course of his story. My only issue is that Bobbie's happened a little too quickly, but I won't complain.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I believe you'll find that Miller was cool from his very first scene. I get that his arc reached a satisfactory conclusion, but the back half of this season definitely could have used some extra Miller Time.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I believe you'll find that Miller was cool from his very first scene. I get that his arc reached a satisfactory conclusion, but the back half of this season definitely could have used some extra Miller Time.

Season 3 needs to feature a Stay Puft Marshmallow Miller protocreature climbing out of the Venus crater.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Season 3 needs to feature a Stay Puft Marshmallow Miller protocreature climbing out of the Venus crater.

"What did you do, Holden?!"

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

I'm a little underwhelmed with the power armor so far but Bobbie is definitely cool and I hope next season does her and her supersuit justice.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

General Battuta posted:

The reason Cibola Burn would make a dismal loving season of TV is that something like half the book is spent under constant rain in waist-deep mud infested with poisonous slugs. And not in a cool hell planet way, it's just everybody huddled together in some ruins, trying to keep the slugs out while they go blind. It would be a thin premise for an episode of Stargate, never mind a trying-to-be-prestige drama.

You'd need Lars von Trier to make that situation entertaining to watch.

I wish people would stop bringing up the drat slugs in that book. They were involved for a chapter and a half in a sort of "meanwhile, back at band camp" sort of manner. I went into that book thinking "Aw jeez, this is going to be like book 7 of Harry Potter all over again, 78% being some boring rear end camping trip where nothing happens", but it wasn't. The slugs were a non-issue. Still wasn't a great book, and most of its problems involve a bunch of aggressively boring new characters and a military guy that spent 90% of the book screaming "I'm gonna blow up that town if you don't do what I say! I mean it! Just you wait!"

Many problems, slugs just not really the all encompassing page-fillers that people seem to enjoy making them out to be.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

AirborneNinja posted:

I'm a little underwhelmed with the power armor so far but Bobbie is definitely cool and I hope next season does her and her supersuit justice.

I think part of the problem is that it's a SyFy budget costume and there's no way to look cool using a forearm-mounted machine gun.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Azhais posted:

I wish people would stop bringing up the drat slugs in that book. They were involved for a chapter and a half in a sort of "meanwhile, back at band camp" sort of manner. I went into that book thinking "Aw jeez, this is going to be like book 7 of Harry Potter all over again, 78% being some boring rear end camping trip where nothing happens", but it wasn't. The slugs were a non-issue. Still wasn't a great book, and most of its problems involve a bunch of aggressively boring new characters and a military guy that spent 90% of the book screaming "I'm gonna blow up that town if you don't do what I say! I mean it! Just you wait!"

Many problems, slugs just not really the all encompassing page-fillers that people seem to enjoy making them out to be.

Is it really that difficult to grasp that this is a thread for the the TV show that is currently just going through material from book 2 and that you shouldn't openly discuss poo poo from book 4 here?

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 23, 2017

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

The show is doing a good job of minimizing the Primary Concern, just like the books. There are compelling story lines with political intrigue and character drama. People live and die and do everything with such urgency that they barely have time to consider that there is a two-billion-year-old molecule developed by an alien race so advanced that they had transcended everything we understand about physics, and it is running some sort of program on a planet in our solar system.

That's why the Arborghast scene is important. It filled the same purpose in the book- to make everybody pause for a moment and realize how insignificant these little parochial disputes could end up being. Even the Protomolecule monster, for all it's fearsome capabilities, is still a crude re-purposing of a technology that the Protogen scientists barely understand, like using a notebook computer as a hammer.

It reaches out.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Alehkhs posted:

:goonsay:

New thread The TV IV subtitle, please.

I mean if you ignore context. My imagination generally sucks and I love getting movies and TV shows. But if it's two people standing in a room talking to each other yes my imagination is up to that challenge.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
How many books are there, and is the series finished?

I assume this chat will devolve into equal parts book chat, and whiny loving book readers making passive aggressive posts about how people don't like bookchat, so I'll be needing something else to read until next season.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

counterfeitsaint posted:

I assume this chat will devolve into equal parts book chat, and whiny loving book readers making passive aggressive posts about how people don't like bookchat, so I'll be needing something else to read until next season.

Six books out with nine total planned, and they've pretty consistently​ been releasing one a year. There's also a couple novellas that cover events in the past or events happening elsewhere.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

counterfeitsaint posted:

Hey my posts weren't passive at all :\

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Is it a spoiler to point out that the last book was really bad

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

...there's no way to look cool using a forearm-mounted machine gun.

I tried to find something in TV, movies, animation, or games to definitively dispute this (i.e. only machine guns) but fell short. Maybe someone else can give it a try.

Edit: This isn't too bad (doesn't allow embedding):
https://youtu.be/xkJU9ENyk8I?t=7

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 23, 2017

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Forearm mounted weapons are bad and dumb, people have wrists and hands for a reason.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
How do people in movies even fire wrist mounted guns? If they need to use their hands to pull the trigger there doesn't seem to be any benefit over a normal gun. Just a huge danger of shooting your own hand off.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Smiling Jack posted:

Forearm mounted weapons are bad and dumb, people have wrists and hands for a reason.

Aww poo poo son. You just opened it up to any kind of forearm mounted weapon. You're gonna regret this! :getin:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Smiling Jack posted:

When the suit aims for you, why not keep your hands free?

Then again, you could mount the guns on the shoulders or something and free up the arms even more, so yeah, I guess putting them on the forearms doesn't make a ton of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
their power armors had like a minigun in the arm and supposedly the armor itself helps stabilize and aim the gun and FURTHERMORE if it's built into the suit it can be fed ammo more effectively FURTHERMORE

• Locked thread