Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Terrence McKenna had a theory that mushrooms were alien life. The spores are nearly indestructible and could survive in space. His theory was that the psychoactive components plugged evolving lifeforms into a sort of cosmic consciousness internet.

Don’t do drugs, kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snuffman posted:

The show calls the Martian Navy the Martian Royal Congressional Navy...

I don't think the "royal" title is mentioned in the books, so maybe in the show there's a King (or Queen!) of Mars?

The “R” is “Republic”.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sometimes I get those e-mails and when I try to actually watch it, Amazon is like, “Psych!” for a couple of hours.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nihonniboku posted:

You need to give people time to tally up all the depiction of gravity in space mistakes. If we're lucky, there will be at least 2. That'll fuel heavy discussion for the next week.

If we’re lucky there will be none, so we can debate if the 6′ Samoan boxer is really the best the casting department could find.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fyodor posted:

When Fred Johnson put his tablet thing down and it turned clear and you could see it was scratched and gouged from wear I began to question whether this is the famous attention to detail the show is known for or am I going insane imagining things? I'm probably nuts.

The tablet is Fred Johnson’s twenty‐year‐old Ford ranger that he still drives despite being the CEO of a company bigger than Ford.

e: Look at this total lack of perceptible Coriolis effects. You know he’s got prime real estate.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/GranularDetailedHammerheadshark.mp4

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 9, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It occurred to me that Miller’s shaving habits mark him as a station‐dwelling belter.

Only a man with a death wish would use a cutthroat razor aboard a ship.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 9, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah I was thinking more a Belter that's been in poverty all their life and never left a lovely area.

Where are the lovely jobs?

At the docks, where Coriolis effects are minimal.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Svaha posted:

I'm kind of at a loss as to how they could wrap up the season halfway thorough the second book as well.

Do the assault on Io but not the ring gate reveal, or vice versa.

AlternateAccount posted:

Need a better thread title anyway. Suggestions go.

We know where we’re going.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Miller had to kill Dresden while he had the opportunity. Could he have gotten a couple more sentences out of him? Yeah, probably. But he can’t wait till he’s sitting down at a table with Anderson.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baronjutter posted:

I'm surprised there aren't more fancy colonies in the expanse. Where's the big luxurious tubes and wheels?

Some exist, but why would you live there when you can live on Earth, Luna, or a Jovian/Cronian moon?

https://fat.gfycat.com/EqualGaseousEquine.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
e: After looking at it again, nevermind.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

etalian posted:

lolling at anyone who takes the AV Club or their very bad reviews seriously

Solid avatar/post combo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MiddleOne posted:

The only thing worse than a book reader in TV IV is a comic book reader.

The novellas aren’t comic books, though…?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ersatz posted:

As someone who hasn't read the books, I'm having trouble understanding at the moment why everyone seemed so excited about the character being in the show.

Miller and Amos, on the other hand, are both a lot of fun to watch.

Literally nothing she’s done so far in the show is in the books.

In the books, her first scene is on Ganymede.

e: or I could read the next page.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dancer posted:

Hey book people, do we ever go back to Ceres? Because Anderson Dawes is my very favourite accent of the whole show and I miss his dulcet tones.

You’ll see more Dawes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve read the books so perhaps I’m biased, but I think he’s not great in general.

Like, he puts on this gruff voice when he’s talking tough with the OPA faction leaders, which is one thing, but then he uses it with Holden & co. like it’s his normal speaking voice (at least when he’s angry). It just sounds silly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The only time the show got close to this so far is Miller’s trip off Ceres where he just sits in an airport lounge and chats with a chill Mormon dude, but cheap space travel is truly hellish.

You know steerage class on the Titanic? It’s like that, but without James Cameron’s peasant parties. The same amount of asphyxiation, though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baronjutter posted:

I'm surprised they don't have some sort of sleep pods or coma-chairs or what ever for long voyages. Hell I wish those things existed for any flight over 4-5 hours.

They use knock‐out gas on the passengers if they get unruly.

e: Just basic setting stuff, but better safe than sorry.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I expect Bobbie to have at least one OOHRAH scene on Ganymede before it gets good.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

WrightOfWay posted:

So does that mean that entirely Earther crewed ships have a higher "cruising speed" then other ships?

There are a few chapters where the gang needs to get somewhere in a hurry and belters moan about being uncomfortable, but it’s never generalised as a thing that gives Earth corps an advantage. They seem to care at least a little about reactor fuel and propellant mass expenditures.

Someone upthread said “if the Martian navy burns at 1 g for training, can’t the UN navy burn at 1.5 g and become beastly super soldiers?”

Maybe, but AFWK they don’t.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 11, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tarquinn posted:

Got a quick book/future plot question: Hi, and thanks for moving over this spoiler. :wave: It is my understanding that the whole alien/proto molecule angle gets resolved more or less quickly, or at least the story focuses much more on the UN/Martian conflict in the future. Is that correct? No need to give a comprehensive answer, just a quick, yes or no is sufficient. Many thanks in advance!

The protomolecule is put more‐or‐less on the back burner in Caliban’s War.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bobbie’s squad is actually known to be poo poo, which is why they got the job of “investigate this place where everyone died mysteriously” and now “guard farms”.

Not really but I like to imagine it that way.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is this the whole scene from episode 1 that's missing on the streaming services?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rHjgQF6y1M

If so, how in the gently caress did that happen?!

That's the missing scene.

That’s not the sole difference between the broadcast and VOD versions, but it’s the major one.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 11, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Smiling Jack posted:

Not without a lot of joint injuries and cardiovascular problems

Counterpoint: medicine has advanced to the point where limbs can be re‐grown, cancer is a non‐issue, and “juice” exists to at least temporarily protect from high‐g manœuvres.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milky Moor posted:

Cancer is a non-issue providing you take a certain drug for the rest of your life. If you stop taking it, you'll start getting tumors.

Yeah but is it covered by Basic or does Space Shkreli own the patent?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tree Dude posted:

Am I wrong or did they solve this on the show with the implant thing in their arms? That was the impression I got but could be mistaken.

Doesn't Amos give Miller a short term supply when he delivers the dufflebag at the bar?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pharmaskittle posted:

I started thinking about how belters probably can't punch for poo poo, and I can't figure out whether it'd be harder or easier to generate the force for a swing in low gravity, muscle mass aside.

Harder. Swing your arm forward and your torso will recoil, robbing the swing of speed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Toast Museum posted:

Holden and Miller keep developing tumors because they soaked up tons of radiation on Eros. Other cancers are probably at least a little easier to treat.

Holden and Miller ought to have straight‐up died from acute radiation sickness.

Surviving that is a medical miracle on its own.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pharmaskittle posted:

So even in low gravity, not zero, it'd still rob you of force? It wouldn't be easier, since you have the same force pushing off the ground with your foot but less resistance? I'm really asking, I don't know physics.

I thought you were talking about weightless combat, but it’s still true of low gravity to an extent.

In ⅓ g, your feet can only get about a third of the traction before they start slipping against the floor.

Magnetic boots would alleviate the issue, but you’d have trouble with acrobatics.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Accretionist posted:

Also, the recipient wouldn't have as much inertia so they'd move with the blow to a greater degree, robbing you of impact force.

Only to the extent that belters are skinnier.

Inertia is independent of local gravity.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pharmaskittle posted:

Neat! So barfights on Ceres, for instance, would be less dangerous until weapons got involved. And even then you'd have to grab-n-stab someone prison style to be quite as effective.

I would expect fewer black eyes. In addition to being harder to punch them while standing, it would be harder to pin them and beat them while they’re down.

Glassings are about equally dangerous since you’re swinging down on someone.

Bar fights might actually be more deadly due to chokings/strangulations. It’s not any easier in low gravity, but it becomes more attractive when a fist fight feels like a slap fight.

Tackles could be interesting. If you got some speed, maybe from launching off a wall, you and your target would go flying.

e: I think you could get like a minute of Ceres gravity in the Vomit Comet. NASA needs to organise a martial arts tournament.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 13, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I never really thought about how dangerous an Earther like Amos would be in a fight, beyond “he’s stronger”.

If anything, low gravity magnifies an Earther’s advantage vs. a Belter.

Lightweights have some advantages in fights on Earth, but those advantages evaporate in low gravity.

You can’t run circles around your opponent. You have to move the same body mass as on Earth but you have a fraction of the friction to do it with.

But if Amos comes running at you, he’s still going to hit like a tonne of bricks. And as always, being built like a bulldog is great for grappling.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Feb 13, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grand Fromage posted:

Having really good technology for dealing with ionizing radiation's one of the things you'd expect in the Expanse setting. Making radiation cancer just a mildly annoying chronic illness makes sense.

It’s not hard to imagine better cancer treatments.

Acute radiation syndrome just wrecks all your cells, though. Treating that is like treating someone who has been cooked all the way through.

That’s not to say that it will always be impossible, but you can live in space without having the technology to treat bad cases of acute radiation syndrome.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grand Fromage posted:

Cells can be replaced. The problem is they won't replicate properly/at all anymore after that kind of exposure, but if you had the ability to manipulate DNA at will and repair it with nanites or something you could fix the damage. Only allow the repaired cells to replicate and the wrecked ones will gradually be pruned out.

With the Power of the Protomolecule®

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dancer posted:

I still take greater issue with the protomolecule :V. First, lol at the captured scientists job title of "nanoinformatician". Secondly... jfc biology doesn't work this way. This one is I guess more forgivable because I assume theyre going to make it necessary for the plot (I'm assuming the loving bonkers biological definition is in there to justify the protomolecule giving rise to sentient organisms, like the one we saw on Eros in the last scene of S1. Which also fely like a big dissapointment to me, but that's life)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Thunk posted:

I'm currently working my way through the Expanse books and would like to try the TV show. It looks like the first and second season together make up basically the first book. Do I have that right? There are some characters from the second book added in, Avasarala and Draper, but they're basically being retroactively grafted onto events that precede their own story?

I think the idea is that the show will have covered the plot of the first book by S02E05.

Seems to be on track for that.

If you read the first book right now, it will “spoil” some things that haven’t been shown on‐screen yet.

I can’t think of anything that the show has covered that the first book didn’t, other than the character introductions you mentioned.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 16, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Toast Museum posted:

It incorporates elements from the novellas, though sometimes pretty loosely. The protagonist of The Vital Abyss is Cortázar, for instance.

I forgot the guy’s name, but you’re right.

The strike on the Martian moon is pushed up in the show, now that I think about it. IIRC they swapped moons, probably for poetic reasons—personification of dread fitting the monologue better than personification of horror.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > The Expanse, Season 2: The Mormons are going to be pissed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sorry if this is too much embed, but there were so many beautiful scenes in this episode.

http://giant.gfycat.com/SatisfiedJitteryHammerheadshark.mp4
http://giant.gfycat.com/MiserlyNarrowBronco.mp4
http://giant.gfycat.com/WaryDimpledCowrie.mp4
http://giant.gfycat.com/FrigidSeriousHalibut.mp4
http://zippy.gfycat.com/TepidUnfoldedGull.mp4
http://giant.gfycat.com/NewBoilingKilldeer.mp4
http://giant.gfycat.com/AliveExhaustedHarvestmen.mp4

Here are 720p links to those and a few more. Bold are the ones not embedded above at 560p:
Tugs attach and fire
Nauvoo engine ignition
Nauvoo bow
Nauvoo pulls away from Tycho Station
Tugs return to Tycho
Diogo and Miller begin EVA
Diogo sticks the landing
Rocinante inspects dock
Nauvoo/Eros establishing shot
Navuoo misses

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DaveKap posted:

I do call slight bullshit on Miller having to stay there to hold the button down. I doubt the button is capacitive because it seems like over-engineering to ensure every space suit has capacitive fingers and he just took out a massive piece of sticky tape to put on his arm to plug a hole.

He has a better reason in the book. IIRC, instead of one bomb being damaged, the entire countdown needs to be delayed, and that requires authorisation. The system is fail‐deadly by design: Fred Johnson didn’t want the whole thing to halted by some rear end in a top hat pirate trying to loot the place.

e: Okay, I misremembered. The dead‐man’s switch is set up by Naomi after Nauvoo misses.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Feb 16, 2017

• Locked thread