Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWZqp0QoXcw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Also an interview with the linguist working on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eupcy0lIjsk

e:fb

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

ZorajitZorajit posted:

We're never getting away from this argument are we...

Aside, is Bobby a genocidal wacko, is that common among Martians, or was her "Who's going to stomp their mountains into dust" just a psych-up speech? I get and appreciate that the inanity of war between Earth and Mars is the point, but the "Kill all Earthicans" poo poo makes a certain impression of Martians other than the Roci's pilot.

Her captain was pretty against the whole war thing and got disgusted by her thirst for genocide. Seems like they're showing she has issues.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I thought Johnson was going just bluffing to have all the data unlocked. I didn't really think he meant it. :shrug:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

They mentioned if they got close enough the torpedoes wouldn't be a problem. So I guess they've got an arming distance or something.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah if they just made the starfield move in the right direction, it probably could have worked.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

tooterfish posted:

He isn't falling downwards, he's being flung outwards. Because the only thing that stops that from happening on a spinning station is the floor.

Am I missing something here? What was supposed to happen?

He should have been flung along the trajectory the stars in the background are going.

Also it looks ridiculous

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 6, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

He's travelling at 1g when he leaves the station, he'd continue on that trajectory.

e:Hang on, I've confused myself. Yeah, I must have somehow thought it was looking down, but that wouldn't have made sense with how he's thrown in.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Wait if it's a spinning station wouldn't they be walking on the sides? Meaning all surfaces perpendicular to their 'floor' would be looking up or down? He should have gone in the direction the station was rotating, either left or right offscreen.

e:No, I'm an idiot that would be what would happen if they dropped him in the pit style one from last season.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 6, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

gohmak posted:

No he wouldn't

The camera is looking perpendicular to this image though and continues along the original trajectory as the guy goes along the path of inertia. Why would he fall downwards?

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 6, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

There needs to be a scene with a belter pouring something into a glass expecting the coriolis effect only to spill the drink all over themselves. Or an Earther/Martian who doesn't expect it. :colbert:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Pharmaskittle posted:

The latter would be much more likely since a belter who was familiar with it would know it only happens in certain lovely areas.

Yeah I was thinking more a Belter that's been in poverty all their life and never left a lovely area.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I mean, I'm going to guess I've just been spoiled by someone saying whatever it is puts this episode's dialogue in another light. So that's kind of lovely.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

what dialogue? there's an awful lot of it.

I mean, sorry if I spoiled something for you, but I could've been talking about anything.

Unfortunately context clues are a thing. Don't worry about it though. They have to make the series interesting for book readers anyway, so I'm sure being spoiled on one aspect of a character won't be that big of a deal.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

:rolleyes: I didn't get worked up and I said don't worry about it. I'm more annoyed at myself that I think I've put two and two together.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Someone comments she should upgrade her gear to the latest stuff and she tells them she likes the old lovely stuff she wears.

Phobophilia posted:

its almost like between books 1 and 2, the authors realized that a boarding party would find it useful to have a soldier loaded with armor that can shrug off small arms fire and is contains a full sensor package

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Your cells are still completely hosed. And being able to fix them with fairly routine ship-board first aid strays pretty far from the 'good enough' feel of the rest of the setting. It's not something that particularly bothered me though.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Also why would protogen leave one of their guys in the airlock, and not shove them back onto Eros to contribute to the biomass?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Being cynical, it's probably because they think viewers wouldn't be able to distinguish slums on Earth from the Belt.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I think it was the other way around, the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs was 1/4 the size of Eros.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

etalian posted:

We hate earth so much we wasted time making earth like kettlebells!

Oh I thought they were Blue Mars kettlebells. Either way it's pretty dumb really.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

He got shot in the back and slumped over his desk?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah, I didn't think he was assassinated, just that the shot came from behind him from the way he slumped.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

flosofl posted:

I hate Dawes because he has his own agenda which is usually at odds with our protagonists.

HOWEVER, his arguments and justification make total sense to me. OPA's actions are a slave revolt, or being generous, could be said to be similar to the events that led to the American Revolution.

He's a fantastic character. He's the antagonist I sympathize with.

That's an odd way of being generous. Slave revolts are less justified than tax revolts?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

At which point she remembers they didn't fire on her and were firing at the monster. She's annoyed she has to leave out the mention of the monster and implicate Mars.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is that a scene from the book? I swear I just remember her telling everyone that the earthers fired on them first.

No it was in the show.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

So they're hamas then

Which I guess makes Johnson the PLO?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

If you're going to be like that about it then there's no point trying to make a comparison to anyone at any point in history ever, except maybe the last 15 years.

Bit of a tangent, but I really dislike this idea in history. It basically acts as a whitewash and erases the stories of people at the time who did actually resist problematic hegemonic thoughts in favour of preserving the image of certain figures.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

I don't even know what you're trying to say here.

Hitler was a racist genocidal maniac, Churchill's views of Indians and his inaction during the Bengal famine was just how people were at the time.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Oh please Avasarala is clearly Tyrion. Miller is Jorah Mormont.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

So why was Johnson so pissed off with Holden at the end? That seemed pretty out of left-field. They had one disagreement about the feasibility of going to Ganymede. Hardly seems like the thing that would push him into revoking their right to dock at the station.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Phi230 posted:

It was dumber in the book dont complain

Fair enough. It seemed pretty dumb. How'd it go down in the books?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I'm a naïve person who would have been herded into an airlock and spaced.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

It's really awkward because the doors open, and you can see her hair and clothes billowing as the air obviously rushes past her and out of the door. Then after several seconds of forlorn looking at each other and gasping for air in a room that is already a vacuum, they all suddenly fly out for reasons.

The reasons are that the ship starts accelerating away from them. They do an external shot showing the reaction thrusters firing.

e:fb

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

He said something about 'duster burn' or something before stopping him?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I know this is pedantic, but isn't "We fired on the Earthers before they fired on us," a true statement she could make that would gel with what she's saying happened and the line Mars wants to sell? And, if pushed, "We believed we saw them firing on us." This is one point where I'm not totally understanding the sticking point of the drama.

I don't think they did fire on the Earthers. They teamed up with them to fight the alien. She's just having trouble remembering.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Why do people think Belters aren't intelligent?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It's just that providing housing for everyone should be pretty trivial for the sort of organization that is capable of hollowing out asteroids and putting them under spin gravity, you could easily feed and house everyone on earth with the kind of engineering feats that were seen in both show and books, if Ganymede can produce enough food to feed its own population and tens of millions more in the belt you'd expect that on earth with the far more ideal conditions the government could easily produce enough food to feed everyone on earth and luna comfortably.

I guess that sequence just offended my nerd sensibilities, what can I say.

It's easy enough for us to do right now. It's pretty realistic in that regard.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

You'd think they'd want to give people on basic a bit more money so that they actually contributed to consumption. There's no real point to basic if you lose all of it to the grey and black markets. You'd think corporations would be lobbying the poo poo out of the un to increase it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

It's more that other people said Basic in the books is presented as being a lot better. Which would make more sense and allow Basic to actually work.

• Locked thread