Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

It's been mentioned that martian marines train extensively throughout their careers at 1g. It wouldn't be a new experience at all to Draper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

It's been mentioned that martian marines train extensively throughout their careers at 1g. It wouldn't be a new experience at all to Draper.

Book Draper and several other characters realize that training at 1g and living at 1g are very different things.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

The director can always come up with an excuse to have people move around. And given that they do something to acknowledge the discomfort the martians are experiencing under earth gravity, they could have played it up and probably improved the scene IMO.

Like- have Avasarala get up to get a glass of water even. she glides gracefully across the frame. She pours a glass for Bobbie and gestures for her to come get it- forcing the hulking, powerfully built marine to deal with her new cumbersome weight. Maybe as Bobbie gets close and looks like she's going to fall in to Avasarala, she side-steps and Bobbie goes almost falls in to the table, catching herself.

It'd help support the dynamic of the scene too. Avasarala isn't intimidated by these Martians not just because she's a tough character- but because she knows they're literally out of their element and she can walk circles around them

These are all really good suggestions and as good as the show is, it sometimes suffers from pretty uncreative direction. It sometimes feels like everyone's just standing and reading their dialog from the book because why would they move around it doesn't mention that in the book????

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Smiling Jack posted:

Book Draper and several other characters realize that training at 1g and living at 1g are very different things.

right, but having her struggle to walk across a room would be silly

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

What use would training at 1g if she gets tired walking around a conference at 1g? Are Martian marines going to take naps in crash couches between firefights when they show up to drink the rivers dry and crush mountains rear end to dust.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Phi230 posted:

then you shouldn't have even started watching the show because literally the first scene in the entire series is about the protomolecule
I don't think there was anything to conclusively indicate that the protomolecule was alien until season 2? I only knew it was alien because people in this thread will not shut the gently caress up about book stuff. If you just watch the show, it would be easy to assume in season one that it was created by humans.

timp posted:

In both cases it's a lot easier for me to play along when the magic/alien poo poo is introduced when they've painstakingly set the stage without it first.
I think if you're going to have aliens, just do it. Don't pretend to be something else for an entire season and then spring aliens on us in season two. People who wanted aliens from the beginning got bored and stopped watching, people who don't want aliens are disappointed when they show up.

Solkanar512 posted:

Did I misinterpret it, or was it implied that Amos had that brain magnetization thing done to him? I didn't see anyone mention it but I figured folks would.
It did seem like he was different after he had that conversation with the scientist where the scientist told him he should have it done, but I think it's meant to be a fake out, so we won't be sure if he's changed or not but it'll turn out he didn't go through with it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Baronjutter posted:

A well written scify can be "hard" but not go into useless wanky engineering chat. The problem of course is the only people with the background to write believable hard scify tend to be STEM/Engineering types and they just can't not go into detail because what else are they going to write, human dialog??? Pfft that's social "science" crap.

I've probably read some Hard Sci-fi that wasn't just a technical manual. Like i'd certainly say Story of your life is a Hard Sci-Fi story because it deals with linguistics and the difficulty of communicating with beings that don't even think like you do.

I had anthology of sci-fi stories and one of the stories spent 4 pages describing how the fuel goes from the tanks to the engines. The rest of the story did not get any better.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I thought the Amos/Scientist discussion was more of a "Why retain ANY humanity? You can kill the rest of that off you know." Then Amos went off on a bender because he knows he is broken but isn't sure what direction to take things in.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just watched the first three eps of season 2, gotta say... hot drat that was cool. Also, Tom Jane is the coolest man alive.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

right, but having her struggle to walk across a room would be silly

Agreed.

I imagine the cumulative effect over several days would lead to fatigue, both from physical exertion and sleep disruption.

When you think about it 1 earth g is 3 Martian g, simple poo poo like breathing while sleeping becomes three times as hard.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

OMGVBFLOL posted:

was anyone else sorta vaguely disappointed when the protomolecule thing came to a head on eros? it just felt so... idk, the combination of reactionless drive, "huge living thing that rapidly overgrows everything" trope, and julie mao's resurrection/replication was just felt like a wave of soft-ish/fantastical elements that came at you pretty much all in the span of an episode, and after a season plus of pretty much the hardest sci fi that's ever been put to screen it kinda felt like a letdown.

I'm over it now; "it's definitely extrasolar in origin" is enough to suspend disbelief and I'm along for the ride. Still, "no FTL, no aliens, no magic artificial gravity, just humans doin human poo poo all over the solar system" was really really fun for the one season it lasted.

I'm a huge fan of the understated reaction to Eros being alien - Naomi and Amos doing some mental maths, Avasarala's face of resigned confusion, Holden 's blasé "okay, so we've broken a few laws of physics here".

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Grand Fromage posted:

Yes. If we are supposing a situation where we've had the tech to rebuild Mars' atmosphere then keeping it intact would be trivial. Whatever the rate of loss is, just keep your terraforming gas factories putting out that amount of gas and you're good.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/moon-mars/a25493/magnetic-shield-mars-atmosphere/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Wrap a huge superconducting cable around the Martian Equator to give the planet an artificial magnetic field, is only because aurorę look cool.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Smiling Jack posted:

Agreed.

I imagine the cumulative effect over several days would lead to fatigue, both from physical exertion and sleep disruption.

When you think about it 1 earth g is 3 Martian g, simple poo poo like breathing while sleeping becomes three times as hard.

Additionally, all your reflexes are going to be keyed to lower gravity, so handling objects and things like recovering from tripping would all be messed up too. Astronauts have talked about how after long missions on the ISS, they'll try to leave things like cups or remotes hanging in space when they want to set them aside and just drop them. Astronauts have also talked about how heavy you feel after you come back from space. Even though they are physically in very good shape, it takes time to readjust to full gravity. I imagine a Martian - even one with extensive 1G training - would find adapting to living at Earth gravity difficult.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Some of you people. There's a hearing and y'all complaining that people do the appropriate thing and just sit still? Really? Might as well complain about some more explosive decompression.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I remember when I would watch Law & Order and see SAm Waterston walk over to the witness to ask an important question and think "No. Nooo."

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Tiggum posted:

people in this thread will not shut the gently caress up about book stuff

yeah that seems to be the case. unless people want to fork the discussion (like the AV Club did with Game of Thrones) into "read the books" and "haven't read the books" im out

e: actually a "haven't read the books" thread would just get trolled into oblivion nvm

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 21, 2017

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I don't think people would care enough

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Alternatively you could stop being a huge baby and just read the books.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
In the books the protomolecule turns everyone into huge babies.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Baronjutter posted:

It sometimes feels like everyone's just standing and reading their dialog from the book because why would they move around it doesn't mention that in the book????
There isn't nearly enough shots of people scowling and putting partially eaten meals into the food recycler to be taking stage directions only from the books.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

In the books the protomolecule turns everyone into huge babies.

No, that's 2001: A Space Odyssey and I think it's just the one guy.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

ATP_Power posted:

There isn't nearly enough shots of people scowling and putting partially eaten meals into the food recycler to be taking stage directions only from the books.

Truth. Only one (future) character finishes their food. Every scene on the Roci should have at least one person eating, then throwing the rest of the food away.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think all the martians on earth should be poopin' their pants during the meeting because their weak low-gravity bowels can't hold their poo poo in when faced with mighty earth gravity. I think it would have added some meaningful motion and a touch of levity to the situation.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I think all the martians on earth should be poopin' their pants during the meeting because their weak low-gravity bowels can't hold their poo poo in when faced with mighty earth gravity. I think it would have added some meaningful motion and a touch of levity to the situation.

This man knows what I want to see.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Episode 9 preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_fhxDZyTgk

Cool scene but now I can't unsee the criticism from earlier in this thread- nobody moves in their scenes. LET THEM WALK AROUND!

Directorial criticisms aside, the utter contempt Aghdashloo shows here is absolutely hilarious.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

From just the preview scene, the Martians trying to use Bobbie's testimony as a key to their reconciling with Earth while trying to keep the exact details of what happened to their Marines hazy seems like a terrible plan, especially without any other evidence.

Last thing you want if you're trying to bury a military incident is an obviously traumatized soldier babbling about someone running around outside on Ganymede without a pressure suit as she's trying to feed you an official line that's obviously not her opinion.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I know this is pedantic, but isn't "We fired on the Earthers before they fired on us," a true statement she could make that would gel with what she's saying happened and the line Mars wants to sell? And, if pushed, "We believed we saw them firing on us." This is one point where I'm not totally understanding the sticking point of the drama.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I'm almost certain the chaplain is in on the Protogen conspiracy. Unless he's biding his time to figure out if the UN is connected to the blue man, I don't see why he would want to bury that info.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

MizPiz posted:

I'm almost certain the chaplain is in on the Protogen conspiracy. Unless he's biding his time to figure out if the UN is connected to the blue man, I don't see why he would want to bury that info.

Right. Mao's alternate benefactor is definitely someone high up in the MRCN or Mars Gov- possibly a connection he made even while he was dealing with Errinwright.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I know this is pedantic, but isn't "We fired on the Earthers before they fired on us," a true statement she could make that would gel with what she's saying happened and the line Mars wants to sell? And, if pushed, "We believed we saw them firing on us." This is one point where I'm not totally understanding the sticking point of the drama.

I don't think they did fire on the Earthers. They teamed up with them to fight the alien. She's just having trouble remembering.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I don't think they did fire on the Earthers. They teamed up with them to fight the alien. She's just having trouble remembering.

I also think she's having a hard time accepting or wanting to believe she saw a goddamn alien monster thing. Everyone would think she was nuts if she just said they were fighting an alien.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fister Roboto posted:

How would that help? The problem is that people discussing the books in the TV thread is annoying. It would still be annoying if I'd read the books, because this is supposed to be the thread for discussing the TV show, not the books.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tiggum posted:

How would that help? The problem is that people discussing the books in the TV thread is annoying. It would still be annoying if I'd read the books, because this is supposed to be the thread for discussing the TV show, not the books.

It is Game of Thrones in Space

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

lol that's the absolute garbage canadian attempt at netflix and is renown for being poo poo and teetering on the edge of shutting down because no one wants that poo poo.
Guess I'm collecting some toonies and putting them in an envelope after all.

I could have sworn I saw Netflix saying they got international distribution rights but I guess Canada gets hosed again thanks to our lovely telecoms

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dreylad posted:

I could have sworn I saw Netflix saying they got international distribution rights but I guess Canada gets hosed again thanks to our lovely telecoms

For netflix international means "everywhere except the US.... oh and canada" gets my hopes up every time. Canada generally gets the worst of both worlds. We'll not have what ever show on netflix, but we'll also not have access to the US cable channel we'll have some awful more expensive canadian version that only comes in a +$30 a month bundle on top of a $50 a month package.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Fister Roboto posted:

Alternatively you can stop being a huge baby and just read the loving OP.

AlternateAccount posted:

Lastly, but not at all least, please be cool about book stuff. Keep it in its own thread. I imagine it's cool to mention things that have already happened and even discuss differences and expound on show happenings as long as you're not spoiling future stuff.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
All that chat about the preview and nothing about Avasarala's smiling "Wherever I goddamn liiiiiike"? Come on thread!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Fister Roboto posted:

gently caress this attitude. You're a dick.

There's a whole book thread where you can literally discuss anything. How hard is it to NOT say something in this thread regarding the books if it's not come up in the show yet? Spoiler: it's not. You assholes just get a semi from ruining poo poo for others.

Be cool. Goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Dreylad posted:

All that chat about the preview and nothing about Avasarala's smiling "Wherever I goddamn liiiiiike"? Come on thread!

I liked her "Whoever the gently caress you are, sit down" comment.

• Locked thread