Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
No seriously. What is stereotypical African American Vernacular English?

I'm black, grew up in Harlem and live in Atlanta. I don't see a lick of slang continuity aside from "nigga"

gohmak fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Strategic Tea posted:

Surely we can all agree the belters are the coolest guys in the setting? *huffs vaccuum*

Actually I'm more partial to the Martians.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Doresain posted:

I read the whole Holden/Fred thing at the end as another illustration of Fred's declining power and influence.

1) Fred is trying to find whatever leverage he can to legitimize the OPA/Belt peacefully and get a seat at the table with the inner planets. He saw Cortazar and the protomolecule as an ace up his sleeve to do that - as a threat or a bargaining chip, we can't know.
2) Dawes publicly withdraws support from Fred, calls him an Earther, steals his ace.
3) The location of more protomolecule is discovered. Holden & Co want to go do things about it, but don't involve Fred in the discussion. Fred sees this as an opportunity to get back in the game.
4) First, Fred tries to play on Holden's past loyalty to convince him - "Hey, with all the repairs we've done it's almost my ship bro."
5) Holden doesn't give a gently caress.
6) Fred tries to be nice "Hey if you happen to find some protomolecule..."
7) Holden "lol not giving it to you for drat sure"
8) Fred now tries threats - "no more repairs or docking for your stolen warship or anything if you cross me. I'm your patron."
9) Holden, correctly surmising the situation and not taking the bait- "Yeah what makes you think you'll still be in power?"
10) Fred, knowing he's beaten and giving in "Ok release the clamps then."

At no point did I feel like this was a fight or that there was anger between the two men - Fred was just trying to flex his muscles for his own (and, to him, the Belt's) interests. He found out those muscles weren't as strong as they used to be.

At this point I'm assuming Naomi will end up giving Fred the sample she saved to deal him back in, but who knows.

To be honest I'm not going to spoiler this because I don't think it's needed. The entire book Holden Johnson breakup didn't change their relationship one bit. All it served was for the Rosenante crew to have the libertarian circle jerk scene.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Demiurge4 posted:

The show really likes to ignore physics for theatrical effect in this season, I really liked season 1 based on the fact it tried to be realistic. The spacing is a good example, she floats there for several seconds as she loses her breath rather than being explosively decompressed and blown into space like a rocket.

The show was spot on.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Phanatic posted:

It's even in the gif posted earlier:

https://fat.gfycat.com/ObedientJampackedFlickertailsquirrel.mp4

Other good bits were Amos walking around the outside rim of Tycho, with his arms being flung up. This show doesn't always get it right but at least it makes the attempt.

Is there a gif of when the lock is first opened?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Platystemon posted:

https://fat.gfycat.com/WatchfulEnchantingGrizzlybear.mp4

The outside shot you quoted follows immediately after this one.

Yeah they should have had the window fog briefly. Immersion ruined

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

squidgee posted:

This is the correct answer for the books (and subsequent translation to the screen). Not sure if they're just assuming belters recognize their own on the show or what, though.

Tattoos, side head shave, speak belter and some are tall and spindly for the show. The book belters don't have the tats and side shave but they are all tall, spindly and have big heads. Julie if I remember correctly was born and raised on Luna so she had belter physique.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

OMGVBFLOL posted:

was anyone else sorta vaguely disappointed when the protomolecule thing came to a head on eros? it just felt so... idk, the combination of reactionless drive, "huge living thing that rapidly overgrows everything" trope, and julie mao's resurrection/replication was just felt like a wave of soft-ish/fantastical elements that came at you pretty much all in the span of an episode, and after a season plus of pretty much the hardest sci fi that's ever been put to screen it kinda felt like a letdown.

I'm over it now; "it's definitely extrasolar in origin" is enough to suspend disbelief and I'm along for the ride. Still, "no FTL, no aliens, no magic artificial gravity, just humans doin human poo poo all over the solar system" was really really fun for the one season it lasted.

Technically all of that is still true about the show. The molecule has not been proven to be an alien intelegence, Eros didn't move FTL nor create artificial gravity. What it did do is manipulate localized space time at the expense of generating tremendous heat.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Grand Fromage posted:

I had the same experience with the books but I think they've handled it well thus far.

Were you disappointed with Revelation Space when a Neutron star created a bubble of 1g or Redemption Arc when they discovered how to hide mass in order to reach 99%c faster? Some of the best hard sci-fi introduces theoretical elements that seen fantasy

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Grand Fromage posted:

Haven't read either of those and don't see the relevance. I wanted humans tooling around the Solar System with no aliens or anything, then there's alien protomolecule stuff. I was mildly disappointed it would not be exactly what I wanted and then moved on.

Kim Stanley Robinson's 2312 and Alastair Reynolds A Blue Remembered Earth are both Sol System centric hard sci-fi without aliens.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Strategic Tea posted:

They even have most of the Martians slouching in their seats under the gravity :allears:

Come to think of it in the books doesn't Bobbie even need an exoskeleton to walk around comfortably?

That was Blue Mars I think

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
So if I say "The show is deviating so much from the book I don't think we will get to meet the pinkwater mercs." Am I book spoiling? I think it's a big change worth discussing that Ganymede in the show is about a refugee crisis where as the books was about a cascading ecosystem collapse.

No, the book thread is not the place to discuss the show but until a spoiler show thread is created I think it is appropriate to discuss contrasts between the show and its source material and media.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Eiba posted:

Well, I think you're missing the point about the spoiler.

What is spoiled from the books is there is a specific scene where Bobbie has that revelation. It's an important character moment for her, part of her understanding that everything she'd assumed is doused in ridiculous propaganda.

Bobbie having that specific revelation is not a spoiler because it indicates she goes to Earth, it's a spoiler because it's a specific thing that changes her character when she goes to Earth, and it arguably loses something of its impact without the full context.

I wasn't going to mention anything at the time, but it was a kind of lovely spoiler.

Who cares? Some people would rather experience things as a whole, rather than getting out of context snippets of it before. You don't care. So why not respect the wishes of the people who do care?

If someone's emotionally freaking out about something, sure, that's undignified. If that's the kind of thing you make fun of, go ahead. But if folks are just talking about preferences, why get worked up about it yourself? No point in deliberately being a dick after someone says "please don't be a dick".

Well if non book readers weren't so quick to go negative on a beloved book character then he wouldn't have felt the need to defend her.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Drone Jett posted:

Washington Post affiliated blog had an article on the Expanse.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...it-for-it-syfy/

Paywall

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

theghostpt posted:

There are no silent J's in Portuguese damnit :redass:

Other than that, good episode, Avasarala owns.

Yeah but Hanus isn't funny.

I teasing dude I know Portuguese J is not the same as Spanish J.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 25, 2017

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

JossiRossi posted:

Show called The 100, I stopped watching cause it got very teen drama-y. Not sure if I should try again...

I stopped watching it because there became a pattern of black characters getting killed off, whiped and pissed on.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Stop discussing previews of scenes that have not aired yet. You are going to trigger book readers to spoil further.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Smiling Jack posted:

oh boy a nature vs nurture argument

What have I done

:biotruths:

Hey, you can take that OPA bullshit back to Medina!

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Demiurge4 posted:

If you think of Mars as space Israel it starts making a lot more sense.

Which fits in with Belters being Palestinian.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

emanresu tnuocca posted:

To me it feels like the setting is a rather overt metaphor is for the actual colonialist era with Earth being old europe, Mars being the united states and the belters being the indigenous population in all the exploited colonies.

Wouldn't Belters be the peasant labor complaining about taxes on tea?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

NZAmoeba posted:

Because of the resemblance, I keep calling him Jon Space

My mom does the same thing. I just don't see it

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Longbaugh01 posted:

I see it, facial shape is different, but the eyes, complexion, and hair color is close.

If any of you are a 59 year old woman living in Michigan please don't read my post history.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Amos is all like "so you're just gonna let me go psycho on people huh?"

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Baronjutter posted:

Does holden not realize that the only reason amos likes him is that he's a really good moral compas, and his almost naive do-the-right-thing idealism is what attracted Naomi in the first place? He going to lose em both. He's not really useful for anything else.

By the end of the episode he does lose them both.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
https://fat.gfycat.com/InstructiveBoilingGermanpinscher.mp4

This show is missing out on so many merch opportunities.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Blackchamber posted:

When the show first came on my coworker and I were both really excited by the prospect of seeing the Ganymede fight, and I REALLY wanted to see the mech.

When do we get to see that drat drone footage? I'm assuming that's something Ashur will be getting off the tablet Bobbie stole.

my guess is (big Caliban's War spoiler)she will study the drone footage to prepare for her big showdown on IO.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 11, 2017

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

AlternateAccount posted:

The cliffhanger is going to be BOOK SPOILER HOLY poo poo, IT'S ON THE SHIP.

I called it first from the season 2 trailer

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
drat if I didn't tear up during the boarding scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Just finished book 7 and ready for season 3. When does it drop?

• Locked thread