Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eiba posted:

Well, I think you're missing the point about the spoiler.

What is spoiled from the books is there is a specific scene where Bobbie has that revelation. It's an important character moment for her, part of her understanding that everything she'd assumed is doused in ridiculous propaganda.

Bobbie having that specific revelation is not a spoiler because it indicates she goes to Earth, it's a spoiler because it's a specific thing that changes her character when she goes to Earth, and it arguably loses something of its impact without the full context.

I wasn't going to mention anything at the time, but it was a kind of lovely spoiler.

OK, so how would someone who hasn't read the books glean all that from what was actually posted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

They aren't here to talk about the show they're here to pedantically complain about incredibly minor poo poo and go full :tinfoil: :psyduck: about things that may or may not happen in the show

In short, :wtc:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
can't wait for the next episode. the big reveal when Amos is revealed to be a protomolecule puppet infiltrator is gonna be so sweet.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Please spoiler this even though honestly if people haven't figured it out from that character's behavior so far they've clearly been looking at their phones during episodes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I can’t wait for tonight’s episode to give the thread some new material to talk about.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Fister Roboto posted:

That's a really petty thing to complain about.

You keep saying this over and over again, and you're technically right, but it's an equally petty thing to be so defensive about.

Some people are probably going overboard about not wanting to see spoilers, but other people's valiant defense of their god given right to make coy remarks and post """speculation""" is equally stupid.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I for one am motivated by a mighty and beneficent purpose, not pettiness. Shame on everyone else.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Platystemon posted:

I can’t wait for tonight’s episode to give the thread some new material to talk about.

Yeah, can't wait to see what new spoilers the thread will bitch about.

MizPiz fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 23, 2017

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The most amazing thing people have missed is that post-Eros Amos is literate but pre-Eros Amos can't read. This is also why Brad Pitt was considered for the role of Amos.

To be fair, PreAmos hides his illiteracy from th other characters, and by extension the viewers, very well.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Smiling Jack posted:

The most amazing thing people have missed is that post-Eros Amos is literate but pre-Eros Amos can't read. This is also why Brad Pitt was considered for the role of Amos.

To be fair, PreAmos hides his illiteracy from th other characters, and by extension the viewers, very well.

Wait, what?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

OK, so how would someone who hasn't read the books glean all that from what was actually posted?
That's... what they guy posted. It wasn't some obscure implication to be gleaned.

More book stuff: The poster said "Book Draper and several other characters realize that training at 1g and living at 1g are very different things." That is not something show Bobbie understands at all. She's clearly been shown to be super gung-ho about invading and kicking rear end. If you think for half a second about the implications of her suddenly realizing that Mars can't invade Earth, that's obviously a big deal for her character.

Even if the implications weren't obvious to people reading now, when it comes up next episode people are going to go "oh yeah, I already knew that" and not really get how much of a revelation that was.

Like, that's not the end of the world, but people were jumping on the guy who called it out like he was being absurd without realizing what he was bothered by. Honestly, I was mainly trying to clarify and hopefully call off the dogpile, rather than crusading against the original guy myself.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Eiba posted:

Are people actually arguing that someone posting, "wow, this is better than the book, where they did [x]" is partially ruining the thread for them? Because I post like that on occasion, and I wouldn't want to ruin anyone's enjoyment of this pretty awesome show. Is referencing the books at all bookposting?
Yes. And it's not a "spoilers" issue - I don't care about spoilers - it's just an off-topic discussion for a thread about the TV show. Just talk about the TV show in the TV show thread. How hard is that? Stuff like "this is different in the books" is just white noise if you don't care about the books. If I wanted to know what happens in the books, I'd read them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

get a loving life jfc

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I can tell believe how badly they messed up the physics on Earth in this episode. I ran the numbers and the MCRN landing... thing was accelerating at an even 10 m/s2 towards it's terminal velocity (don't even get me started on how they just IGNORED wind resistence) until it fired its thrusters. Show physics, gah!

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I really dug this episode, as usual liking the changes from the book to screen.

I'm really interested to see how Bobbie's story is going to play out on the show.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The ending seemed a bit abrupt. I feel really bad any time innocent people are killed :(
Jim realizing forcibly dragging people into his heroic quest actually might have consequences...

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

The ending seemed a bit abrupt. I feel really bad any time innocent people are killed :(
Jim realizing forcibly dragging people into his heroic quest actually might have consequences...
Yeah, that was a really feelbad ending...

As a protagonist, Holden is mainly just a good mass for more interesting characters to orbit around, but I find myself pretty invested in his frequently tragic attempts to do good stuff in a hosed up world.

Doresain
Oct 7, 2003

Fun Shoe
Good episode. Bobbie getting slightly more relatable. Avesarala continues to be The Best.

Super confused why the Chaplain is so shady if he isn't in Mao's pocket.

Also man this thread is getting sort of awful. I am preemptively hoping that American Gods is popular enough so that the people who are like "IF I EVEN HEAR THE WORD BOOK THE SHOW IS RUINED FOR ME" can have their own white as snow thread and the rest of us can talk about all aspects of a piece of media including its adaptation from a prior source because relevant.

"You implied that a character might have an arc that she obviously has! My life is over!" jfc.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Doresain posted:

Could be that Mars gov got a sample of protomolecule some other route than Mao?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Doresain posted:

He's probably MCRN Intelligence. Earth and Mars are still in a cold war so it's perfectly logical for them to suppress any information released to Earth no matter how innocuous, let alone "There was a naked space monster man on Ganymede that tore apart 2 squads of marines like nothing and we have no loving idea what it is"

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

As a prophylactic measure, there should be spoilers in the thread title. :colbert:

Still loving, "wherever I god damned liiiiike," btw.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Haven't read the books but I feel this episode covered the whole martians in 1g thing pretty well that people were worried about. Also fleshing out how Holden's altruism isn't necessarily a good or helpful thing which is probably going to further Prax's skepticism.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Dreylad posted:

Haven't read the books but I feel this episode covered the whole martians in 1g thing pretty well that people were worried about. Also fleshing out how Holden's altruism isn't necessarily a good or helpful thing which is probably going to further Prax's skepticism.

Chuckles will hold up until he gets aced in the chest.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://fat.gfycat.com/DearestMelodicAmurratsnake.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/HarshThornyCoqui.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/DownrightAggravatingKittiwake.mp4
https://zippy.gfycat.com/NastyHeartyBlackandtancoonhound.mp4
https://zippy.gfycat.com/PowerlessWellinformedGoa.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/ImaginaryIdleElephantbeetle.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/GiantFrenchDuckling.mp4
https://zippy.gfycat.com/DefensiveWelcomeCockroach.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/VariableRemorsefulGalapagoshawk.mp4
https://fat.gfycat.com/LoneLonelyIndianrockpython.mp4

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I really love how much they're letting Avasarala be Avasarala this season.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I'd like to see the guy who played Ashur on Spartacus some more. He's the spy/intelligence guy that's been helping Avasarala. I've read the books but don't remember if he was even in them or how involved he was, but that guy is great at playing a slimy character.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

And RIP Apophis, again.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Prax, when the mirrors fell

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Longbaugh01 posted:

I'd like to see the guy who played Ashur on Spartacus some more. He's the spy/intelligence guy that's been helping Avasarala. I've read the books but don't remember if he was even in them or how involved he was, but that guy is great at playing a slimy character.

He's in there, but he's pretty different. He's the head of Avasarala's security detail, but he's not involved in any of the spy stuff.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Eiba posted:

Well, I think you're missing the point about the spoiler.

What is spoiled from the books is there is a specific scene where Bobbie has that revelation. It's an important character moment for her, part of her understanding that everything she'd assumed is doused in ridiculous propaganda.

Bobbie having that specific revelation is not a spoiler because it indicates she goes to Earth, it's a spoiler because it's a specific thing that changes her character when she goes to Earth, and it arguably loses something of its impact without the full context.

I wasn't going to mention anything at the time, but it was a kind of lovely spoiler.

Who cares? Some people would rather experience things as a whole, rather than getting out of context snippets of it before. You don't care. So why not respect the wishes of the people who do care?

If someone's emotionally freaking out about something, sure, that's undignified. If that's the kind of thing you make fun of, go ahead. But if folks are just talking about preferences, why get worked up about it yourself? No point in deliberately being a dick after someone says "please don't be a dick".

Well if non book readers weren't so quick to go negative on a beloved book character then he wouldn't have felt the need to defend her.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I mentioned that post because it was quite plainly something that hadn't happened in the show yet. I don't think I'm being overly emotional about it; part of the point was to show how easily innocuous things can be spoilers. If I had posted it I would have used spoiler tags, and I think it was impolite not to do so. The rubric should be 'if it wasn't on screen and probably will be in a future episode, I should use spoiler tags.' That's all I was saying. I don't want to digress into a dumb spoiler slapfight so I'll leave it at that.

I quite liked Holden loving everything up worse by trying to help.

I didn't like Prax's two lines of dialog about Ganymede having a magnetosphere and people going there to gestate because of it. As a concept and part of the setting it's one of my favorite bits, but it felt clumsily handled dialog-wise. It's a snippet of exposition explained to people in-world who already 100% know it and have known it all their lives, so it didn't land well for me. I love the Actual Science things to bits, and I wish we had more downtime on Ganymede earlier to talk about it and Prax's life pre-shitstorm. Like, drop the factoid about the magnetosphere in a background video while someone's riding a tram or something, I dunno. You could have an infographic of the friendly magnetic force field bouncing Jupiter's radiation and leaving behind a host of happy children in a scene at the daycare? I guess filming a couple bits in Ganymede prior to the disaster would have been mighty expensive, though -- why build a pristine daycare set for one scene when you know you're just going to set fire to it?

Also they've talked a lot about the refugee crisis and food shortage but it's odd that lot of people denigrate Ganymede as 'a farm' when the place is theoretically chock full of pregnant ladies and the disaster might have hosed up a whole generation of kids being raised there.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
Washington Post affiliated blog had an article on the Expanse.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...it-for-it-syfy/

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Drone Jett posted:

Washington Post affiliated blog had an article on the Expanse.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...it-for-it-syfy/

Paywall

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

I think you only have to be registered, I certainly don't pay them anything. Pretty sure googling the title or just opening the URL in an incognito/private window would work, too.

That said, political science professor likes Avasarala, not much more to it.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Bioluminescent algae:

https://i.imgur.com/OjXnh1J.mp4

LOOKS FAMILIAR

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I wanted to pull out clips of Chrisjen talking but apparently all of The Expanse episodes are copy protected on Tivo so I gave up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Doctor Butts posted:

I wanted to pull out clips of Chrisjen talking but apparently all of The Expanse episodes are copy protected on Tivo so I gave up.

Must just be your cable company screwing up. Copy flags are not set from Syfy as my recordings are unprotected on FiOS with TiVO.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The weak chubby martian who threw up and couldn't stand straight was a loving disgrace.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

NmareBfly posted:

I mentioned that post because it was quite plainly something that hadn't happened in the show yet. I don't think I'm being overly emotional about it; part of the point was to show how easily innocuous things can be spoilers. If I had posted it I would have used spoiler tags, and I think it was impolite not to do so. The rubric should be 'if it wasn't on screen and probably will be in a future episode, I should use spoiler tags.' That's all I was saying. I don't want to digress into a dumb spoiler slapfight so I'll leave it at that.

I quite liked Holden loving everything up worse by trying to help.

I didn't like Prax's two lines of dialog about Ganymede having a magnetosphere and people going there to gestate because of it. As a concept and part of the setting it's one of my favorite bits, but it felt clumsily handled dialog-wise. It's a snippet of exposition explained to people in-world who already 100% know it and have known it all their lives, so it didn't land well for me. I love the Actual Science things to bits, and I wish we had more downtime on Ganymede earlier to talk about it and Prax's life pre-shitstorm. Like, drop the factoid about the magnetosphere in a background video while someone's riding a tram or something, I dunno. You could have an infographic of the friendly magnetic force field bouncing Jupiter's radiation and leaving behind a host of happy children in a scene at the daycare? I guess filming a couple bits in Ganymede prior to the disaster would have been mighty expensive, though -- why build a pristine daycare set for one scene when you know you're just going to set fire to it?

Also they've talked a lot about the refugee crisis and food shortage but it's odd that lot of people denigrate Ganymede as 'a farm' when the place is theoretically chock full of pregnant ladies and the disaster might have hosed up a whole generation of kids being raised there.

A good post.

And yeah, when there's not even an attempt to lampshade awkward info dumps like that, it pulls me right out, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

NY is pretty different in the expanse. Both from sea level rise but also lots of street changes. It looks like they made their 3d model of NY mostly from scratch. I did a quick trace of the coastline.

• Locked thread