Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Y'all are bad at faces. Wes Chatham and Aaron Douglas look pretty different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I notice Alex uses a 3d mouse for his space flying. Keep wondering whether to get one for Elite; joysticks seem so cumbersome sometimes.. wonder who made that prop choice
I have one for CAD. It's not nearly as precise as you'd think. --edit: That said, I have the cheap one without hand rest.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 17, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

edit: Also, weird. Looks like the Arbogast doesn't undergo the EXPLODING DIAGRAM effect around Venus.
That'd probably look cool and made an important point, but that's probably very expensive in terms of cost.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I hope they drop book 4, because gently caress that poo poo.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

to be played by Tahmoh Penikett.
If someone has the holier-than-thou and judgmental tones down, it's him.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Well, they explosion diagrammed the Arboghast after all, that was nice.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Rewatching the episode, I'm kind of glad they didn't end this season on a huge cliffhanger, either. It usually raises expectations unnecessarily.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Azhais posted:

I wish people would stop bringing up the drat slugs in that book. They were involved for a chapter and a half in a sort of "meanwhile, back at band camp" sort of manner.
Chapter and a half? Some hazy memory.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Actually it did, because tomato sauce.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Rewatching the second season again. When Johnson holds that speech with all the clans, a certain clan is named loudly and there isn't even any flinching from specific parties.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Smiling Jack posted:

Here's a spoiler season 2 aired a while ago
The Marco Inaros stuff is pretty huge spoiler territory.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Smiling Jack posted:

the what now
The dude who's dropped asteroids painted in stealth coating onto Earth? Who happens to be the dad of Naomi's kid, who also had a big hand in it?
(Don't read if you haven't read the books. What's spoilered happens in the fourth or fifth.)

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 13, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I have access to the German dub on Netflix. Certainly does the series a great disservice. They managed to make a lot of things sound so goddamn formal and hectic, the Creole is nearly non-existent, Amos got the stereotypical tough guy voice, Fred Johnson sounds like Micky Mouse, and the total amount of swearing has been reduced/lessened.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Not just combat, but also travel and relative motion. In the books, travel took pretty drat long. And the scene with the Nauvoo trying to ram Eros, Miller shouldn't even have been able to notice the Nauvoo flying by, because of its speed relative to Eros.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

JossiRossi posted:

Also an interesting note in the book, was if Eros had moved in a traditional sense, Miller on it's surface should have been crushed to paste, or had Eros just disappear from underneath him depending on how it moved. Think of being in a car as it suddenly stops, or accelerates, times millions.
That was kind of respected in the TV show, though, because Miller didn't feel any inertial effects.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Thing is doing something with physics that humans haven't figured out yet.

Not that far-fetched, given that the standard model is still just the best estimate, and quantum physics are still kind of magic.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

The asteroid colonies in the expanse couldn't exist in real life, even a slight spin would result in those balls of gravels and rock breaking apart. Asteroids are not thought to be very structurally sound and would make extremely poor space-homes let alone vessels, with humans technology anyways, with magic alien technology who knows.
IIRC the books go into this, explaining that the asteroids got reinforced structurally, with load bearing struts and poo poo like that. Whether that's realistic, given the forces, I don't know, but at least they made an effort story-wise in the books.

If you can manipulate gravity, you can probably move huge things, while not disturbing its local frame of reference in that regard.

You really going to pretend that the current set of physical laws humans figured out are 100% true and set in stone? Not saying that there's going to be a world shifting breakthrough any time soon, but that's the premise the protomolecule stuff runs on, that they've figured out the universe more than us.

I mean, there's currently a set of rules we've cobbled together that'll fit most observations, but in the bigger scheme, the pocket protectors are still scratching their heads. They still don't know how electroweak and strong forces work, same goes to gravity, with all the dark energy bullshit. But hey, lol.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 30, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Error 404 posted:

Countdown til Roger Cross shows up in Expanse.
The article announcing his role gives the episode number away.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Boy I can't wait to see whether they visualize it graphically when it happens, or whether we get an external shot followed by someone checking the aftermath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

They really don't seem to like anyone international to build excitement. Any Syfy stuff regarding the Expanse comes with geoblocking. All other Syfy poo poo for some reason not. Like what the gently caress. --edit: Oh wait, nevermind, the whole channel is geoblocked.

• Locked thread