Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
It's not like Mars has the capability or desire to slog it out in a ground campaign across all 7 continents. Achieving control of low Earth orbit and threatening to nuke its cities from space should be enough to bring the UN to the bargaining table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

bobfather posted:

Personally, and weirdly enough, I would think a nuclear shaped charge would be the humane way to kill a ship, since volleying slow-relativistic rail gun shots and point defense cannon shots that go straight through ships is asking for collateral damage. Wouldn't those rounds have enough delta v to just orbit the sun, silent, and waiting to ruin some beltalowda's day months or years later?

That is why you check your drat targets! That is why you wait for the computer to give you a drat firing solution! That is why you don't "eyeball" it and shoot from the hip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v6vNc1Xik0

Corollary: Space is drat big so your chances of getting randomly nailed by a stray round fired years ago are essentially zero.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 3, 2017

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Evernoob posted:

Couldn't the probe slow down partially by using the destination's star gravity well?
Pretty much by doing an reverse slingshot?

No. Because of conservation of energy, the potential energy at a certain height above the gravity well is conserved as kinetic energy (speed) as you travel inwards, and bled off in equal amounts as you travel out again. You would actually be going faster as you approached the star.

A slingshot maneuver takes advantage of a MOVING gravitational mass (i.e. Jupiter) to change a spacecraft's kinetic energy relative to their common orbital body (i.e. the Sun). Note: Kinetic energy is a relative value because speed is relative. Jupiter would lose as much kinetic energy as the spacecraft gains, but because of it's much larger mass, the effect is negligible.

Now if you're talking about aerobraking (i.e. using a body's atmosphere to slow down your craft)... well flying through a star's atmosphere is not a survivable event. If you had some sort of massive solar sail, that might work, depends on the numbers involved obviously.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 8, 2017

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Platystemon posted:

Believe it or not, there is a good reason for that.

Care to explain?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Baronjutter posted:

If I wanted to make a grenade that just sort of plops in the next room or maybe it's magnetic for use in zero-g it would probably look like that.

How come no one present or future has invented Halo-style sticky grenades? Would help prevent a lot of tactical oopsies.

• Locked thread